• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR PS4 pro benefits

Saberus

So I tried out call of duty jackal assault for the 1st time and it was on my Pro, I don't know how it looked on a normal ps4 but man I was so impressed how it looked, I want a full game of this.

So don't know if it has some kind for tweak for pro, but sure looks nice

bumpkin

I found a thread on reddit where a guy posted a bunch of comparisons between standard PS4 hardware and the Pro for PSVR, and the difference in clarity is staggering in a few captures. I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere in the thread, but check it out...

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/5c4c3w/psvr_ps4_pro_quick_impressions_and_some/

There's no way I can pick one up before the end of the year, but maybe by the time I'm in the market, there will be a cool limited edition.

jeffram

I found a thread on reddit where a guy posted a bunch of comparisons between standard PS4 hardware and the Pro for PSVR, and the difference in clarity is staggering in a few captures. I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere in the thread, but check it out...

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/5c4c3w/psvr_ps4_pro_quick_impressions_and_some/

There's no way I can pick one up before the end of the year, but maybe by the time I'm in the market, there will be a cool limited edition.
Ocean Descent Looking much better.

Fisty

Cross posting my impressions from the other thread

Things like lowered res on the outside edges of your view (blur in your peripheral vision) is either drastically reduced or eliminated completely, allowing your whole view to be rendered at the full res. Resolution overall is increased in most cases as well. Area X on Rez has lots of tiny particle effects (everything is made of tiny cubes, kind of like Resogun) and on PS4 there was a bit of smear when you would blow up the big enemies, and some pixel shimmer as stuff would explode. The res was increased there and now you can clearly see each particle and enemies overall have a much cleaner presentation at higher res.

Objects at a distance in Until Dawn ROB were much clearer as well, things like the small enemies on level 5 were tough to distinguish sometimes on the dark floor and could be quite blurred, but I found it MUCH easier to make them out on Pro, and there was absolutely ZERO pixel shimmering on the conductor guy's face now on Pro, while on PS4 the shimmer was very noticeable and slightly distracting.

Ozorov

ThatsGoodThatsDamnGood.gif

Ammogeddon

Ocean Descent Looking much better.

Amen brother.

I spent quite a bit of time in Ocean descent as it was my showpiece experience for visiting friends and family. It's gone up a notch for sure, can't wait to show it off again. From what I noticed the resolution, draw distance, and lod has been increased. I was noticing shafts of light, more shoals of fish, and bubbles. Some things may have been there before but they pop more now.

The overall bump in performance has made being in VR a much more comfortable experience. The increased resolution and reduction of that shimmer you get from jaggies is most welcome and it all lends to a more immersive experience.

Can't wait to try out my other games.

Adding to other comments in this thread, I also found that DriveClub on Pro showed little difference. Especially in the eye-straining required to see an upcoming corner approaching at speed. Easily the ugliest VR game i have played thus far.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood I played for the first time last night - amazing!

melos

Just got my pro today and tried a few things out. RIGS is a big improvement IMO. Really cleans up the image and now I'm really impressed with the level of detail found on the mechs. Really adds to the immersion.

Also tried out Thumper. Game was already really nice looking but even that looked a little bit sharper. Could just be the placebo effect though.

Fisty

Playroom looks awesome now!

But now i have big drift which i didnt had with the og :(

This happened to me too, I ended up going back through the set up process again and rebooting the Pro, worked fine afterwards. I think you have to redo the initial VR set up with the new console

Borman

So I didnt see that Until Dawn received a patch, and I still dont know if Im crazy or not, but it seemed a lot better, less jaggies all around. Could be going nuts of course. Still has that terrible grain on top of things though

Fisty

So I didnt see that Until Dawn received a patch, and I still dont know if Im crazy or not, but it seemed a lot better, less jaggies all around. Could be going nuts of course. Still has that terrible grain on top of things though

Most VR games had Pro mode already baked-in, Until Dawn, Batman and Driveclub all were like this I believe

Check out the Doctor guy's face and stuff in UD when he's talking to you, you should notice a complete lack of pixel shimmer there, where on PS4 there was quite a bit

Borman

Most VR games had Pro mode already baked-in, Until Dawn, Batman and Driveclub all were like this I believe

Check out the Doctor guy's face and stuff in UD when he's talking to you, you should notice a complete lack of pixel shimmer there, where on PS4 there was quite a bit

Thats what I thought, but I hadnt played the game in weeks so I wasnt sure if my memory was blanking it out.

chippy13

So I have my pro half setup and had to try out a few psvr games before completely setting it up. I first tried Battlezone and immediately noticed a difference in the cockpit. Really like what they have done.

I then tried a new game that I hadn't played before, Eagle Flight. Wasn't sure what to expect going into this game. As soon as I started the tutorial I began smiling like I did the day I got my psvr. This game is awesome. Just getting started and I'm already looking for tunnels to shoot through and open windows. Can't wait to get back and explore some more.

Mathieran

Banned
Dammit i accidentally left Rigs in my old ps4. That was the game I was most excited about trying. Hopefully I can get in the touch with the guy I sold it to and get it back somehow.

Holy moly! Just got done testing out PlayStation VR Worlds and Rez. Things look so much CLEANER on the Pro! My other games are still downloading, but jeebus holy smokes what a difference.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
I just tried out Driveclub VR, I couldn't notice any perceivable difference, is the Pro patch really built in? because image quality and framerate seemed the same to me.

Planet

So, are there any improvements in cinematic mode?
As a hint, let me tell you: the cinematic mode also works with PC, Xbox, Wii U, Fire TV and so on (as long as you keep the USB connected to a PS4). Now guess if it is improved with the Pro! :D

Cpt. Obvious Mode:
It doesn't run on the PS4, the breakout box does it, so no improvements.

TLZ

Banned
Thank you.

I'm definitely selling mine now.

(Yes I could've tested it myself but I couldn't be bothered connecting it again and disconnecting everything because it's a hassle)

SJRB

Gold Member
So em yeah Ethernet data transferring right now. 10 hours to go T_T

I transferred my data yesterday, 280 gigs took me about an hour via ethernet, to give some indication.

The guesstimate it gives before the transfer starts is fairly accurate.

I just tried out Driveclub VR, I couldn't notice any perceivable difference, is the Pro patch really built in? because image quality and framerate seemed the same to me.

Yeah, same here, Patch says 1.01 but maybe that patch is old. I don't see any difference. Same great but ugly game.

Chris_C

Spent the past two days trying to find a store selling the Pro, haven't been able to find one, decided not to get it till next year, came here, read reports. Guess I'll be scouring the earth tomorrow again.

Soi-Fong

Alright I cab tell you guys there's definitely an improvement with VR Worlds and specifically The Heist.

It looks way cleaner and practically no aliasing. The dude next to you in the chase scene just seems way more sharper and solid. And I feel like resolution is definitely better.

Dammit i accidentally left Rigs in my old ps4. That was the game I was most excited about trying. Hopefully I can get in the touch with the guy I sold it to and get it back somehow.

Damn... happened to me when I sold my GBA to get an SP. Hundreds of hours of advance wars..., gone 😔

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Any difference to cinematic mode?

I noticed a difference in Netflix in Cinematic mode. Looks better. Have NO clue why, because I didn't think the GPU even mattered when watching Netflix.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Bound is spectacular on Pro.

I wish I could find the developer on GAF that is on the Plastic team that made BOUND. I want to tell that guy "thank you so much for making BOUND one of the best looking VR games on Planet Earth."

And the different perspectives that you get in VR over normal 2D mode makes it a slower moving game for me (as far as pace is concerned) and I love that!

Top Bottom