• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR PS4 pro benefits

Version 1.04 - Following features are added:

- Support for PlayStation 4 Pro
- Updated Overdrive mechanic
- Deployment protection mechanic
- Commentary updates
- General bug fixes

Went from Pro to regular, immediately noticed the difference. I'm hoping it shows up well enough on the video!

I like the sound of this, really looking forward to the DRIVECLUB Pro Patch, if they can get that nice and sharp I can't see me ever leaving my headset!

majik13

Quite a difference
hrvJ9eE.png

IQ looks much better, but the lighting looks abysmal and flat. Has there been any word on whybthe change or something else going on?

Loudninja

Version 1.04 - Following features are added:

- Support for PlayStation 4 Pro
- Updated Overdrive mechanic
- Deployment protection mechanic
- Commentary updates
- General bug fixes

Went from Pro to regular, immediately noticed the difference. I'm hoping it shows up well enough on the video!
Hmm cant do much with this have to wait until they go in detail.

Thanks guys!

farisr

IQ looks much better, but the lighting looks abysmal and flat. Has there been any word on whybthe change or something else going on?
There seems to be another light source that's illuminating the inside in the Pro version, also RGB settings differences are also possibly resulting in the more washed out look:

There seems to be another light source that's illuminating the inside in the Pro version, also RGB settings differences are also possibly resulting in the more washed out look:
If I'm buying a PS4 all over again for it to look like this, I think I'll pass for now. It's basically trading in aliasing for flat, strange looking lighting. No overall improvement, just a swap of problems.

spwolf

If I'm buying a PS4 all over again for it to look like this, I think I'll pass for now. It's basically trading in aliasing for flat, strange looking lighting. No overall improvement, just a swap of problems.

lol, guys, Pro isnt washing out the image... image is lighter due to them being able to have more stuff rendered, unlike before where they used dark to hide portions of screens and save on costs.

It is going to look a lot better inside your VR.

lol, guys, Pro isnt washing out the image... image is lighter due to them being able to have more stuff rendered, unlike before where they used dark to hide portions of screens and save on costs.

It is going to look a lot better inside your VR.

It's probably lighter because the player has most likely turned on the interior light inside the van.

I mean it's an embarrassing issue for Sony TBH, and incredible that it was launched with such a "beta release" bug, and still not fixed. They should at the very least acknowledge the issue and let people know what to do to fix it.

^^^This. Having said that, I kind of wonder if they're not sure how to fix the issue?

Will the demo disc get an update as well?

I would be surprised but the demos totally should be updated. PS4 Pro aside, that Rez demo has framerate issues not really present in the final game so there's that.

Even with the weird lighting in London Heist I think it mostly looks a lot better. I wasn't expecting something so dramatic. I cancelled my Pro preorder but now I'm reconsidering (even though I can't really afford it). Though I really wish it came in white because it now completely throws off the color-scheme of my entertainment center (I have a white PS4 and a white Xbox One S). Also, I have to figure out how to transfer everything without losing P.T.

Saberus

Got my Pro Monday Night.. tried couple things in VR.. I don't know if this is a Placebo effect or what.. but all things seem to look little better?? (non-pro enhanced) can't really place what or why but my eyes don't seem to be a strained?.. dunno..lol

The Pro enhanced games I have are VR worlds and The Playroom VR, you really can see a difference, example in the heist, things are sharper and more detailed and more partical effects going on. Tried eagle flight last night, its very cool and great draw distance, bit of motion sickness with that one after 20 mins.. but my fault for to many high speed banks..lol

Unfortunately to much real life stuff going on to play more, long weekend coming up..looking forward to more play time..

Got my Pro Monday Night.. tried couple things in VR.. I don't know if this is a Placebo effect or what.. but all things seem to look little better?? (non-pro enhanced) can't really place what or why but my eyes don't seem to be a strained?.. dunno..lol

The Pro enhanced games I have are VR worlds and The Playroom VR, you really can see a difference, example in the heist, things are sharper and more detailed and more partical effects going on. Tried eagle fight last night, its very cool and great draw distance, bit of motion sickness with that one after 20 mins.. but my fault for to many high speed banks..lol

Unfortunately to much real life stuff going on to play more, long weekend coming up..looking forward to more play time..

I'm only ever so slightly jealous! I've got another 2 1/2 weeks till I get my Pro (Birthday Present) but looking forward to playing DRIVECLUB and Battlezone with the improvements.

thelastword

Banned
So many titles are improving, lod and texture filtering. Games like Skyrim have improved lod and DD. I imagine GTA5, Witcher 3 and Dying Light will be improved significantly in these areas if they are eventually pro patched....

Loudninja

Thumper
The simple-looking but stylish game runs at 90fps as an absolute standard in order to really maintain its frantic feel, but on PS4 Pro the game renders at a higher resolution and is then supersampled down. The end result isn’t something that’s game-changingly different for Thumper but it is there; if you’ve already played a lot of Thumper, you’ll likely spot the little boost PS4 Pro gives you.
https://www.vg247.com/2016/11/09/ps4-pro-how-much-does-it-offer-for-ps-vr-owners/

Well, it’s a complex answer. Objectively speaking, yes, PS VR games do look better when running on a PS4 Pro. After setting them both up, side-by-side, on the same television using the same headset, I can confirm that games are noticeably sharper and crisper, especially if they have received an official patch incorporating support for PS4 Pro. Games like Battlezone and PS VR Worlds were patched ahead of time for testing, but even games like Driveclub VR, which didn’t have official Pro patches yet, looked crisper and smoother inside the headset.
http://uploadvr.com/ps4-pro-psvr-review/

PSVR Face-off: PS4 vs PS4 Pro
The PlayStation 4 Pro is not only intended to improve the picture quality of games on a TV, but also in regards to PlayStation VR. That's why we experienced Driveclub VR and Robinson: The Journey running on both consoles, recording videos through Share's own capture system in order to show the results, as you can see below. As for the gaming experience with the device, the PS4 Pro clearly presents a sharper and sharper image, take our word for it.
http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/479553/PSVR+Face-off+PS4+vs+PS4+Pro/

Kaako

Felium Defensor
^^Nice! That's what I like to read.
Thumper Pro support hell yeah.

even games like Driveclub VR, which didn’t have official Pro patches yet, looked crisper and smoother inside the headset.
Hell yeah.

Loudninja

While the majority of pre-release conversation has revolved around 4K television, the PS4 Pro will also give a boost to PSVR games. And, for me, it’s here that the console really earns its stripes. While PSVR games will always be limited by the 1920x1080 display of the headset, the extra power of the Pro still sees a definable upgrade to visuals in virtual reality.

Colour and lighting are more defined and everything is that little bit sharper. In sheer visual terms the upgrade is small, but it is noticeable. And in VR that makes a huge difference. When playing visually-intense games like Until Dawn: Rush of Blood on the regular PS4, visuals and text could blur at the edges. While the Pro doesn’t entirely eradicate such issues, the improvement makes playing PSVR noticeably more pleasant.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...review-the-best-games-console-for-4k-players/

winstano

Got my RIGS comparison uploading now :) Improvements are visible on the social screen. It feels a lot cleaner, less shimmering/pixel crawl on the edges, and the arms on the rigs are definitely where to spot the most obvious differences

Ozorov

Got my RIGS comparison uploading now :) Improvements are visible on the social screen. It feels a lot cleaner, less shimmering/pixel crawl on the edges, and the arms on the rigs are definitely where to spot the most obvious differences

Where do you upload these things?

Edit: Noticed any difference in Playroom VR or Rush of Blood?

Has the AA been improved? My biggest gripe

winstano

Just tried Driveclub... I'm not 100% that there's much of a difference :-/ Maybe a few little atmospheric touches, but nothing mind-blowing. I'll have a video up shortly

Just tried Driveclub... I'm not 100% that there's much of a difference :-/ Maybe a few little atmospheric touches, but nothing mind-blowing. I'll have a video up shortly

They haven't patched it though have they? It's one of the game you know will really benefit from the extra graphical punch.

winstano

They haven't patched it though have they? It's one of the game you know will really benefit from the extra graphical punch.

That was my thought, but apparently Rushy tweeted that the patch was pre-baked into the game. I can't find the tweet though, so I'll hold off on the vid.

Fisty

Remember to check your peripheral vision for blurriness, I have a strong feeling that most games will be ditching this, I believe it's called foveated rendering. Batman did this, the center of the screen will be clear but the edges of the screen will be blurred

hesido

I hope that's a temporary lighting condition in the moving car in London Heist because the lighting in the original is better. Of course Pro trumps on everything else. Again that's either because of a temporary lighting condition or "let's add more lights on PS4 just because we can", ruining the lighting. But I hope it's the former case.

Top Bottom