• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR PS4 pro benefits

Loudninja

I will add more as they come.
PS4 Pro’s upgraded processing power will give VR developers the ability to enhance their experiences with higher quality graphics, smoother or more stable framerates, and visual improvements in supported games. Developers can also choose to add PS4 Pro features to PS VR games post launch via a downloadable update.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/

Confirmed VR titles getting updates so far:
  • DRIVECLUB VR
  • PlayStation VR Worlds
  • RIGS Mechanized Combat League
  • The Playroom VR
  • Thumper
  • Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
  • Bound
  • Rez Infinite
  • Battlezone
  • Trackmania Turbo VR
  • Robinson: The Journey (On disc)
  • Eve Valkyrie
  • Tumble
  • Eagle Flight (On disc)
  • The Assembly (Compatible since launch)
  • Tethered
.telegraph.co.uk
While the majority of pre-release conversation has revolved around 4K television, the PS4 Pro will also give a boost to PSVR games. And, for me, it’s here that the console really earns its stripes. While PSVR games will always be limited by the 1920x1080 display of the headset, the extra power of the Pro still sees a definable upgrade to visuals in virtual reality.

Colour and lighting are more defined and everything is that little bit sharper. In sheer visual terms the upgrade is small, but it is noticeable. And in VR that makes a huge difference. When playing visually-intense games like Until Dawn: Rush of Blood on the regular PS4, visuals and text could blur at the edges. While the Pro doesn’t entirely eradicate such issues, the improvement makes playing PSVR noticeably more pleasant.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...review-the-best-games-console-for-4k-players/

Well, it’s a complex answer. Objectively speaking, yes, PS VR games do look better when running on a PS4 Pro. After setting them both up, side-by-side, on the same television using the same headset, I can confirm that games are noticeably sharper and crisper, especially if they have received an official patch incorporating support for PS4 Pro. Games like Battlezone and PS VR Worlds were patched ahead of time for testing, but even games like Driveclub VR, which didn’t have official Pro patches yet, looked crisper and smoother inside the headset.
http://uploadvr.com/ps4-pro-psvr-review/

PSVR Face-off: PS4 vs PS4 Pro
The PlayStation 4 Pro is not only intended to improve the picture quality of games on a TV, but also in regards to PlayStation VR. That's why we experienced Driveclub VR and Robinson: The Journey running on both consoles, recording videos through Share's own capture system in order to show the results, as you can see below. As for the gaming experience with the device, the PS4 Pro clearly presents a sharper and sharper image, take our word for it.
http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/479553/PSVR+Face-off+PS4+vs+PS4+Pro/

In our initial tests, we’ve seen loading times improved significantly for PSVR games played on the PS4 Pro compared to the PS4. In Robinson: The Journey, we measured a 24% reduction in loading speed when launching a new campaign.
http://www.roadtovr.com/the-biggest-gain-for-psvr-playstation-vr-on-ps4-pro-so-far-is-loading-times/

Bound patch is up
As for VR. We enabled new effects in VR like volumetric lights. On top of that we are rendering sharper shadows - which are crucial in VR and rendering to 4K internal screen which is then supersampled to 1080P display in PSVR. We can do 4K rendering for PSVR since there are still unused black spots that saves us 15% of bandwidth. In native 4K we have places in the game that run at about 50 fps, and that's wy we decided to not use it.

Thanks in your interest! If you have Bound and PSVR, then you already have a free patch that enables VR for our game. Go and check it out :)
http://neogaf.site/forum/showpost.php?p=220286782&postcount=461

Rez Infinite
Similarly, those of you who have PS VR hooked up to your PS4 Pro might notice Area X looking a little different than you’re used to—that’s because the image being passed along to each of your eyes is being rendered at a higher resolution (1920 x 1080, instead of 1440 x 810 on a standard PS4), before being passed to the PS VR headset. Even though the final resolution it’s displayed at on the headset in the same either way, the extra rendering from the PS4 Pro makes a difference: each particle looks a little more clear, a little more solid, adding up to objects and enemies that look more distinct and “real,” whether close-up or at a distance.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/07/how-rez-infinite-shines-brighter-than-ever-on-ps4-pro/

Battlezone patch is up
Added PS4 Pro support

- Increased super-sampling resolution

- Improved dynamic lighting in the Cobra cockpit

- Increased reflective lighting resolution
http://www.rebellion.co.uk/blog/2016/10/27/patch-1-02-out-now

Trackmania Turbo VR
"New VR experience with Playstation VR. Playstation Pro Support: 4K resolution and enchanced graphic quality in standard modes, higher framerate in VR experience(120 fps). Improved loading times.

Robinson: The Journey
-Higher rendering resolution
-Enhanced SSDO/SSAO lighting effects
-Longer view distances
-Higher quality texture filtering
-More seamless LOD (level of detail) generation
http://wccftech.com/crytek-details-robinson-journey-ps4-pro-enhancements-impressed-sonys-ps-vr/

Thumper

The simple-looking but stylish game runs at 90fps as an absolute standard in order to really maintain its frantic feel, but on PS4 Pro the game renders at a higher resolution and is then supersampled down. The end result isn’t something that’s game-changingly different for Thumper but it is there; if you’ve already played a lot of Thumper, you’ll likely spot the little boost PS4 Pro gives you.
https://www.vg247.com/2016/11/09/ps4...-ps-vr-owners/

VEV: Viva Ex Vivo
Fwiw, VEV doesn't have strict Pro improvements in place - we hit all our metrics (90 fps and 90 hz physics, native 1080p) without any drops or stutter on the base PS4 unit.

Still, testing on a Pro in VR does seem to lead to minor visual improvements in some of our lighting and shadow elements, and texture LOD and filtering--although I've spent so long with the code it's probably easier for me to see than anyone else. It's minor, but it was a welcome surprise.

Oh. Also loading is a bit smoother even in base mode.

VR Worlds
I thought I’d go into detail on the PS4 Pro improvements we made to VR Worlds, as I know some of you are curious. General improvements are:

• Increased resolution
  • Improved lighting with higher resolution shadows, and more lights casting shadows
  • Screen space ambient occlusion where previously not present
  • Anisotropic filtering improvements
We also added screen space reflections to The London Heist and Scavengers Odyssey, and volumetric shadowed lighting and improved forcefield effects to Danger Ball.

joeblow

From the PS4 Pro FAQ:

PS4 Pro’s upgraded processing power will give VR developers the ability to enhance their experiences with higher quality graphics, smoother or more stable framerates, and visual improvements in supported games. Developers can also choose to add PS4 Pro features to PS VR games post launch via a downloadable update.

Wollan

Let alone super-sampled, it's interesting to see that there exists a handful of PSVR titles that doesn't even hit the native resolution of the headset on a Base PS4.

Usually it's recommended somewhere between 1.2-1.4x rendering target (1x being native-res of screen) in general for VR due to optics & screen distortion.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
What did the Batman VR update add? I know it wasn't set to get a Pro patch, but I saw a new update today.
Take a look at the RoadToVR article. They've removed the foveated rendering from Batman, so everything is being rendered full res.

Better tracking I believe, although I tried it last night and it was jittering all over the place.
Power cycle the console. It's a global system PSVR problem, the tracking jitter accumulates over time.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Kalentan

Really hope Brookhaven get's an update. Would be nice. Just beat that recently and would like the world to be clearer on the Pro when I play the survival mode. :D

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
They tested like 2 game one without an update.

Look. I've already laid out nearly £600 with PSVR, camera and games. Don't give me the justification to lay down another £200 with trading in my PS4.

Do you want me to be homeless?

Realizing Resident Evil 7 will likely look much better on PS4 Pro (and PSVR games in general).

giphy.gif

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wait, what? Can you explain?
That's all there is to it really. There's a software bug on PS4 OS level, where if you use PSVR for a while (few hours is all it takes, if that) the tracking error accumulates. You can either play one game continuously, or play a number of games, it doesn't matter, the bug is really on the OS level, and the only solution is to power cycle the PS4. Going in and out of standby mode doesn't fix the issue - you have to power off then on. For me, the games went from seizure-inducing to practically perfectly stable after power cycling, but you have to do it after almost every game session.

It was a revelation to me when someone here pointed it out. I thought that my headset was busted after it worked fine the first day.

I mean it's an embarrassing issue for Sony TBH, and incredible that it was launched with such a "beta release" bug, and still not fixed. They should at the very least acknowledge the issue and let people know what to do to fix it.

Plasma

Banned
Take a look at the RoadToVR article. They've removed the foveated rendering from Batman, so everything is being rendered full res.

Power cycle the console. It's a global system PSVR problem, the tracking jitter accumulates over time.
Well I guess I have a good excuse to replay it all again now.

Ozorov

"PlayStation®4 Pro support - 4K resolution in 2D mode, twice as many pixels rendered and additional effects added to PlayStation®VR"

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/ps4-pro/3

"But there’s one last area that we wanted to cover here, and that’s how PS4 Pro enhances the PlayStation VR experience. Ever since its announcement, Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Andrew House has touted the PS4 Pro’s ability to enhance PSVR games. We're happy to report that he’s absolutely right – games run noticeably better on this machine. PS4 Pro Mode titles feel like they’re not only better looking with more detailed textures, but they also feel a hair faster in terms of framerate on the new system.

The bottom line? If you’re new to the Sony ecosystem and plan on buying a PlayStation VR alongside a console, you should definitely shell out for the PlayStation 4 Pro."

posted this in the OP but reading what cyberheater wrote re: that review. Here's what techradar thought.

Wollan

All I want is an Arkham VR patch. It got one yesterday, but it wasn't for the Pro, just "improved tracking". :(
Arkham VR had jittery PS Move detection (while i.e TumbleVR has perfect PS Move detection). I wonder if that fixed it. Was probably lacking smoothing and just used raw input.

Taker666

It won't happen... but it would be great if they could release Pro VR comparison screenshots that could be viewed on the headset to see the differences.

Ozorov

"New VR experience with Playstation VR. Playstation Pro Support: 4K resolution and enchanced graphic quality in standard modes, higher framerate in VR experience(120 fps). Improved loading times. "

Kremzeek

Does the Pro help with resolution in Rush of Blood?

I like the game but it bothers me that it seems very pixelly to me....

"New VR experience with Playstation VR. Playstation Pro Support: 4K resolution and enchanced graphic quality in standard modes, higher framerate in VR experience(120 fps). Improved loading times. "

120 fps?! That's awesome if true, but where is this info from? Can't find it on Ubisoft website. It only mentions there are 40 tracks in vr mode.

sajj316

Very intrigued by the improvements to Drive Club VR. I would settle for higher internal resolution. I didn't have any problems with head tracking or the control. Anyone know the render resolution for the game?

Top Bottom