• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feminist Frequency: All the Slender Ladies: Body Diversity in Video Games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbqRtp5ZUGE

This episode examines the very limited range of female body types commonly seen in games, contrasting this with the much wider range of physiques that male characters frequently possess. We then illustrates that, when female characters appear who do have a body type that is notably different from the slender physique that games establish as the standard, these bodies are sometimes presented as a joke, or as a twisted transgression of social standards and expectations. We examine how this limited range extends to the age of female characters as well, before highlighting a few examples of games that have positive representations of women with different body types and women who are older.

Another video for us to discuss.

I think you missed the point.

But that's exactly the point. All the issues they take with female body types in video games can be applied to men's:

- Limited range of male body types.
- When there's a notably different body type, it's presented as a joke.

She also puts Overwatch as an example while conveniently ignoring Zaria, Mei and D.Va. Then she shows LoL, and conveniently ignores champions like Rek'Sai or Illaoi.

Body diversity is something that a lot of media needs to get better at. She raises great points about how roster-based games like fighters have no problems making the most ridiculous male characters, but always fall into a rut making female characters stay traditionally-attractive. It'd be nice to get more designers from a variety of body types, backgrounds, and genders, etc., if we want to truly bring in the most diverse sources of inspiration. Having designers primarily of the same background results in the narrow design ideologies we've tended to see so far.

There's also a strong lack of older women in games, too.

Not all GAF 1st posts are a swing and a hit.

More like a hit-and-run in this case.

But that's exactly the point. All the issues they take with female body types in video games can be applied to men's:

She also puts Overwatch as an example while conveniently ignoring Zaria, Mei and D.Va.

What did you think about her Street Fighter example? That series has Ryu, Blanka, Dhalsim, Necro, Oro, Remy, Vega, Fang... just to name a few. That series has no shortage of male characters of many different body types and ages. I'd hardly consider many of them to be outright jokes - the only one who really is is Rufus (who's not really a great design for a variety of reasons, his outright joke status being one of many).

Meanwhile, I don't think there's a single fat, elderly, or muscular woman in the entire series.

For a recent example, Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV has a fat soldier who's taken seriously in the story, but the only female soldier is slim and more conventionally-attractive. I couldn't help but think that they wouldn't have considered making her the fat one.

I feel vindicated after half of GAF jumped down my throat for making the same point about Overwatch. Fuck the OW defense force.
This is coming from someone who has put dozens of hours into the game.

I feel vindicated after half of GAF jumped down my throat for making the same point about Overwatch. Fuck the OW defense force.
OW is head and shoulders above many other games though and she recognises this. i am still hoping for more diverse body types with the female heroes, however.

She also puts Overwatch as an example while conveniently ignoring Zaria, Mei and D.Va.
but that's completely not the case and she mentioned many examples in the video alone of male body type diversity.

She also puts Overwatch as an example while conveniently ignoring Zaria, Mei and D.Va. Then she shows LoL, and conveniently ignores champions like Rek'Sai or Illaoi.

watch the fucking video please. In two minutes she destroys your argument by pointing out many examples contrary to your "limited range of male body type" comment.

OW is head and shoulders above many other games though and she recognises this. i am still hoping for more diverse body types with the female heroes, however.

Sure, but that doesn't make it immune from criticism.

Flare

You didn't watch the entire video did ya? Nice!

but that's completely not the case and she mentioned many examples in the video alone of male body type diversity.

Yeah, like how she says Reinhardt is a body type, while Pharah is a standard body type with armour. Go figure.

I find these videos often very interesting, but I don't think this is a valid criticism as something that's a female issue.

Shiggie

you didn't watch the whole video.

Kinsei

Banned
Yeah, like how she says Reinhardt is a body type, while Pharah is a standard body type with armour. Go figure.

I find these videos often very interesting, but I don't think this is a valid criticism as something that's a female issue.

He does have a body type.

Orkf5Ux.png

He's very different from Hanzo who is very different from Roadhog and so on.

Reinhardt is a very large man. Comically large. His armor isn't what makes him large. Pharah is the standard slender type with armor. She isn't comically huge. You're completely ignoring the truth of the matter to fit whatever bias or narrative in your mind.

EDIT: And guys, bringing up a few counterexamples to FF's point doesn't really do much. The truth of the matter is that for 95%~ of all female characters, most of them are slender goddesses.

Lusankya

You should actually watch the video before posting.
Not only does she show the wide array of male (non joking) body types, she also later mentions Overwatch as a positive example for female body types including Zaria, Mei and the newly announced character.

He does have a body type.

Orkf5Ux.png

He's very different from Hanzo who is very different from Roadhog and so on.

Rinhardt's body type is as different from Hanzo's as Tracer's is from Pharah's.

You should actually watch the video before posting.
Not only does she show the wide array of male (non joking) body types, she also later mentions Overwatch as a positive example for female body types including Zaria, Mei and the newly announced character.

I did watch it and both his OW and LoL segments are misleading, even if she mentions Mei, Ana and Zarya at the end.

Regginator

Deus Ex Mankind Divided got you covered.

2130529AA19E4D71702A664840F47DAF30D9B4DC

Then again, that probably covers this part:

We then illustrates that, when female characters appear who do have a body type that is notably different from the slender physique that games establish as the standard, these bodies are sometimes presented as a joke, or as a twisted transgression of social standards and expectations.

The reason is obviously that it's more visually attractive (not necessarily sexually, though it certainly is a consideration). The same applies to males, but they are attractive for different reasons.

I like her and generally like her videos, but after watching part of this one I think she's setting her target in the wrong place. This is a losing battle. She's basically arguing we need to change what society as a whole thinks an attractive female is, and that's not something you can do consciously.

I'll definitely watch the rest later before coming to a complete opinion though. Maybe she can convince me.

Sephzilla

Legitimate question, do male body types actually differ that much in video games? I mean, obviously there's some artistic variation like how Batman looks in the Arkham games compared to Nathan Drake in Uncharted. But, outside of Street Fighter, I can't think of anything of the topic of my head and most male characters tend to have similar fit body types. I'm probably just having a mental lapse and not remembering some other examples, but I thought I'd throw the question out there.

She's basically arguing we need to change what society as a whole thinks an attractive female is, and that's not something you can do consciously.

It's not attempting to change what people think is attractive. It's trying to say that people who aren't "stereotypically attractive" deserve to be recognised and acknolwedged, too - just as we do with men.

And yes, it's true social change can't come overnight - but nobody really sets out to do that. The goal of this is to create a gradual discussion and awareness of these issues - by making some people aware who then make other people aware.

Legitimate question, do male body types actually differ that much in video games? I mean, obviously there's some artistic variation like how Batman looks in the Arkham games compared to Nathan Drake in Uncharted. But, outside of Street Fighter, I can't think of anything of the topic of my head and most male characters tend to have similar fit body types. I'm probably just having a mental lapse and not remembering some other examples, but I thought I'd throw the question out there.

Mario, Luigi, Wario, Waluigi. All very different body types.

Peach, Daisy, Rosalina. Same body type.

Honestly most of these are the same just with the oversize-muscle slider being lower on some and higher on others.

zangief, birdie, dhalsim and fang all have notably different body types.

zangief is grotesquely muscular and large, birdie is really fat, dhalsim is skinny and stretchy and fang is like 8 feet tall with limbs like noodles.

there is no-one like any of those characters in the female roster, and they have since added two more female characters, both of whom have the same body type.

Jeffrey

Haven't watched the video yet, but when I think pudgy women in games that I played, the ones that come to mind is Fat Princess, the girl from Persona 4, and similar archetype in Trails of Cold Steel.

Mostly 'fat joke' characters.

I do like women are getting more roles in games these days, not uncommon to see Lady paladins tanks and other 'front line' classes, the next step is to not make them look like barbie models, and a more muscular bulky build if they are 'tank' classes.

Orayn

Legitimate question, do male body types actually differ that much in video games? I mean, obviously there's some artistic variation like how Batman looks in the Arkham games compared to Nathan Drake in Uncharted. But, outside of Street Fighter I, can't think of anything of the topic of my head and most male characters tend to have similar fit body types.

Overwatch is a nice recent example, similar to Street Fighter in terms of male characters having a much wider range of shapes.

Reinhardt is like 9 feet tall giant muscle man outside of his armor

Pharah is slender lady in armor. she's not wrong

She literally says "there are a few noteworthy deviations from the standard" regarding the LoL women characters and gives some examples

you should watch the video

Vice

IIRC, the three protagonists from GTAV all had different builds.

Dalibor68

Banned
zangief, birdie, dhalsim and fang all have notably different body types.

zangief is grotesquely muscular and large, birdie is really fat, dhalsim is skinny and stretchy and fang is like 8 feet tall with limbs like noodles.

there is no-one like any of those characters in the female roster, and they have since added two more female characters, both of whom have the same body type.

But Zangiefs body form isn't different, just bigger muscles from what I see. Rest is correct, that's why I said "most". wasn't trying to refute the point, just commenting on that picture.

Zafir

She literally says "there are a few noteworthy deviations from the standard" regarding the LoL women characters and gives some examples

you should watch the video
She also comments on Zarya, Mei, and Ana at the end of the video.

Course people don't watch that far!

Geist-

I haven't watched it yet, but here's my opinion anyway.

If a game has multiple body types for men, it should have multiple body types for women.

If they stick to one body type because, for example, they need to fit into vehicles and/or don't want to increase workload, it's fine.

Now I'll watch. :)

It's not attempting to change what people think is attractive. It's trying to say that people who aren't "stereotypically attractive" deserve to be recognised and acknolwedged, too - just as we do with men.

And yes, it's true social change can't come overnight - but nobody really sets out to do that. The goal of this is to create a gradual discussion and awareness of these issues - by making some people aware who then make other people aware.

And I'm arguing that these male characters are attractive in that they're interesting and fun to look at. Females can be too of course, but all of that is based on society and how it generally perceived someone as attractive.

It's not only about sex. Samus is an attractive character. So is Kerrigan in Starcraft. Neither one is sexually attractive.

I know what her goal is. Awareness is the name of the game. I'm saying she's spreading the message too thin. This isn't going to happen in 100 years. Other things she's argued for, like women as independent heroes, can happen in the next decade. She should focus her efforts on that.

MadSol

Unconfirmed Member
Would any of this point more towards Japanese developers or at least originate more so from their leading role prior to western developer increase. As I played over the years noticeably the female characters were certainly contained to a body type hence carried over to modern development because that was the norm. I think of gaming as a still evolving platform that will diversify more physical types, also the player base has changed dramatically and should accommodate for different views. It's a decent reminder topic for players and developers.

Henkka

Banned
I feel like I usually have something negative to say in these threads

But not really this time... That was fine, and I generally agree.

Ah, good example. What about the female Koopa Kid?

I didn't consider non-humanoid characters like the Koopalings, Toad/Toadette, Yoshi/Birdo.

I guess you could make a case for discussing the Kongs since their designs are more humanoid (being, well, gorillas) but I don't want to be the guy who goes into detailed analyses regarding the Kong Family body type.

Really I will say as a general statement, many problems with the lack of diversity in female designs comes from there also being fewer female characters in many games, so designers tend to fall into tropes (i.e. be less willing to deviate from their personal preferences) more easily. Essentially there are a lot of problems with the current setup that lead to this situation happening - I'm not ruling out any, just bringing up one that I think doesn't help. This'd be solved if developers more consciously attempted to create equal lineups and/or assembled teams of diverse designers.

And I'm arguing that these male characters are attractive in that they're interesting and fun to look at. Females can be too of course, but all of that is based on society and how it generally perceived someone as attractive.

It's not only about sex. Samus is an attractive character. So is Kerrigan in Starcraft. Neither one is sexually attractive.

I know what her goal is. Awareness is the name of the game. I'm saying she's spreading the message too thin. This isn't going to happen in 100 years. Other things she's argued for, like women as independent heroes, can happen in the next decade. She should focus her efforts on that.

Society change comes from the people. A few designers stepping out to make an active change in how they represent characters, and a few companies choosing to hire more diverse artists, spurred on by influence from videos and movements like this, are theoretically all that is needed to create a domino effect.

Just because you think it may be a losing battle in the near-future doesn't mean it's worth fighting in the now. These things take time, and every little step forward helps. Racism and sexism are still problems in the world, but that doesn't mean the work of civil rights activists 50-100 years ago was for nothing. They helped ensure their ideals would be passed onto the following generations, and from those generations to the next.

Manu

Life is Strange did it well. Both the main characters and the rest of the girls had tons of body variety.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided got you covered.

2130529AA19E4D71702A664840F47DAF30D9B4DC

Then again, that probably covers this part:

Not really a joke when the whole Red Queen Club is about catering to all tastes. Aside from the fact that MD has Women of all ages, with different ethnicities, professional backgrounds and levels of physique.

Geist-

I'm glad she mentioned Kreia, one of the best female characters in any video game. The lack of older female mentor characters in games is pretty disheartening actually.

Might be time for another KOTOR2 replay.

Its a damn shame too, and doesn't even make much sense. Women can be damn attractive outside of the large bust thing waist archetype.

Mousy, strong, masculine, handsome, thick, wiry, delicate, strong, tall, short, pale, dark, the list goes on and on.
You could easily still use women as eye-candy but not limit them to these stereotypes, if thats the studios goal. I mean, wouldn't it make sense that even men find multiple different body types attractive?

I usually don't like her videos but this one is pretty darn good.

Crocodile

Not really much to disagree with here. I think my only comments would be:

• She's a bit too apt to box all sorts of characters into the same category. Using the Street Fighter example, I agree that the male cast has more variety than the female cast but I think she's underselling the variety in the female cast too much to make her point (I feel this happens a lot in these sorts of conversations even if the main point still remains 100% true). The differences are again less pronounced than the male cast but the differences that exist are relevant and significant. Chun Li =/= Sakura, etc.
  • She complains that some of the female characters that have strayed off the norm are negative representations and I don't think that's wrong but outside specifically hero/fighting games (and even in them) that often applies to male characters too. As an example, fat slob characters tend to be jokes regardless if they are male or female. As body type diversity eventually increases, you are going to get more joke/stupid female characters too. So outside of legit offensive examples, I hope people are prepared for that :p
I would also add generally that characters that stray from a specific window of body type tend to be just less popular overall regardless of their gender. Blanka and E-Honda are recognizable but most people aren't chomping at the bit for their return. Birdie is NOT popular and I know a lot of people hated his fatter, slobby redesign.All this will somewhat constrain how "crazy" developers or how often they go "crazy" if they are aiming for popularity. That being said, every body type has a fan out there and there should be more offered of both genders where it makes sense (and it often does).

Burbeting

Banned
This was a great episode, mostly agree with points presented. At first I thought she wasn't going to mention Ana, since I guess producing these videos take some time, but then in the end she did.

Arkeband

Banned
Most video game characters are involved in performing some sort of athleticism, so some of this is unavoidable. Women's bodies naturally become more toned and slim while men's muscle mass increases. Naturally, most video game characters will exaggerate this.

And this isn't with just games, it's books, movies, TV shows, commercials, etc. It's a much larger societal thing.

Top Bottom