• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard gauging interest for microtransations in StarCraft 2

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/51zv2x/i_got_an_email_survey_from_blizzard_today_asking/
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/..._got_the_survey_email_from_blizzard_but_they/

The survey said not to share it, and it's possible it can be traced back to me, but whatever.

I can post screenshots later (not at my pc right now) but it was asking for input on how likely I would to be to buy voice packs, emojis, and unit skins.

They showed a Deluxe Stalker, carbot emojis, and demonstrated an Alarak voice pack.

They asked about interest in voices such as Raynor, Alarak, Morgan Freeman, David Kim, Artosis, hearthstone innkeeper, murky, thrall, snoop dogg, etc.

They also specified price points: unit skin 3.99

10 emoticons 2.49

Voice packs 3.99

Anyway, just thought you all might be interested. And blizz, I understand why you wouldn't want this shared, and so I'm sorry but I think the public good of sharing this outweighs the negatives, pls no bannerino

OmwSER9.png
l0z1oJ4.png
CoQCR99.png
Ypy5FIq.png
CdF7SQe.png
URUcJ0H.png

Searched for Starcraft in multiple ways, found nothing. Figured I'd make a thread.

How do you guys feel about this? Personally, unless they're introducing a new expansion pack for the game... I feel like this is a bit much to be asking of whatever playerbase is left - unless they're shooting for a F2P release to revive it competitively?

Glasshole

Banned
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Blizzard are the undisputed kings of squeezing that lemon until there's only dust left.

Is anybody surprised at all?

People payed 3 x full price for the entire Starcraft 2 game and they're considering microtransactions. It's almost hilarious.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Blizzard are the undisputed kings of squeezing that lemon until there's only dust left.

For SC2, I'd be surprised. The game is over 6 years old and they've wrapped up the story via expacs. The playerbase has shrunk a decent amount, even.

PFD

I thought their approach to microtransactions in Hearthstone was very reasonable, right? So there's no need to worry?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I know people here who never touch SC2 ever will call out those microtransactions but such stuff was actually asked for by the community

I know people here who never touch SC2 ever will call out those microtransactions but such stuff was actually asked for by the community

I'm surprised it took this long.

People love customization. Most of GAF loves to comment on how CSGO only got popular because of skins so it obviously has some merit to it.

bounchfx

$2 for ONE UNIT??? I think it's neat and a good way to add personalization into the game but 2 bucks should get you a couple units at least. shit son, dolla dolla. I'd pay 50 cents a unit if I still played, maybe even a dollar.

Coldsun

Banned
$2 for ONE UNIT??? I think it's neat and a good way to add personalization into the game but 2 bucks should get you a couple units at least. shit son, dolla dolla. I'd pay 50 cents a unit if I still played, maybe even a dollar.

2 dollars really isn't that unrealistic depending on the effort put into them. Look at CSGO weapon skin prices as an idea for how high cosmetics can go :eek:

Cipherr

Hope you get banned breh. Rushing to the forums with this old ass news for clicks.

SHAME!
xrsuugT.png

No but really. It sounds more like they are considering NOT following through with the plan by asking and seeing if enough people are interested. Still. Take the survey and just send it in dude, jesus. Stop with all the "DA PUBLIC NEEDS TA KNOW!" stuff.

It sounds more like they are considering NOT following through with the plan by asking and seeing if enough people are interested.

These surveys are often used to gauge what to prioritize to sell, what to prioritize to advertise, and what pricing ranges to open sales at - not whether or not to have micro-transactions.

That ship has already sailed.

It's just refining how much emphasis and price point to put on skins vs voice packs.

jabuseika

I would pay so much money for some descend Terran skins.

Also, give us more Co-op missions, I don't care if paid, we need more coop missions.

People payed 3 x full price for the entire Starcraft 2 game and they're considering microtransactions. It's almost hilarious.

They're only doing this because the community has been asking for it.

People have been asking since WoL.

3 x the full price? What? Each expansion felt like a whole new game, and was worth it for the amount of new content each one containted. You can buy the entire 3 games for $60 right now.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine

Pretty much why they're not nearly as good as they used to be. Can't leave shit well enough alone.

There have been no gameplay innovations in the last ten years. The only innovations have come in how companies monetize their games.

frontovik

Banned
Isn't SC2 considered a dead game now with regards to its multiplayer? Even its boring single-player can't salvage it. No interest for Blizzard.

FluxWaveZ

I have no idea how it took them this long to have anything like this in SC2. There was always such a small actual selection for customizability within a single race; I would have loved to have alternate Zerg unit skins outside of the handful back when I was playing.

Isn't SC2 considered a dead game now with regards to its multiplayer? Even its boring single-player can't salvage it. No interest for Blizzard.

It's down from it's peak but hardly a dead game. I play nightly with friends.

I've been wanting Blizzard to make the game F2P for a long time now and introduce microtransactions and actually I thought they were going in that direction when heart of the swarm released as they introduced the skins menu.

MGrant

Still won't get me to buy those expacs, Blizzard. SC2 is that game I have that I would love to play and git gud at, but I know the time investment required will eat up my gaming time so much that I might as well just stick to other things.

Seems fine to me. Funny that microtransactions still trigger some people in 2016. It's like damn, if you don't want the voice pack, you don't need to buy it. I doubt you even play the damn game anyway.

Still won't get me to buy those expacs, Blizzard. SC2 is that game I have that I would love to play and git gud at, but I know the time investment required will eat up my gaming time so much that I might as well just stick to other things.

Worth it for the campaign alone imo. I don't think I've touched MP more than maybe an hour vs bots after the first expansion hit.

Servbot24

Banned
Hi Blizzard! It's me, Servbot. I was wondering, could you put more micro-transactions into Starcraft? I mean really stuff it to the gills, so that navigating the transactions more or less becomes part of the meta. Thank you! Will write you later in the Overwatch OT.

Gxgear

Activision you mean.

Top Bottom