• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ys series (some of the BEST ARPG ever) are on sale @ Humblebundle.com

Tizoc

What is the Ys series you ask? Here's an illustrative explanation
s2igs71.jpg

The Humble Store links that offer BOTH as Steam AND DRM-free ver.!
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/search/search/ys

BONUS: TITS are on sale too! https://www.humblebundle.com/store/search/search/trails in the sky

Discounts end in 4 days' time, and if you bought the Humble Monthly you get a 10% discount on purchases too!

The Long version-
The Ys series are Action RPG games from Falcom, the ones on Steam are the latest and updated version of some of the games in the series that did get PC releases, they are
Ys 1 and 2
Ys Origin, has a Demo if you want to try it out
Ys 3 (Oath in Felghana)
Ys 6

What makes the Ys series so friggin' awesome is
1- Simple but fun combat system that is the equivalent of

2- It has some of the BEST soundtracks a video game could ever have

3- Great boss fights

4- Did I mention the series has some of the BEST soundtracks a video game could ever have? Because they do.

5- You play as Adol 'Gets shit done' Christin, one of the most badass protagonists in a video game series, he's so badass, Nintendo remain chickenshit to add him to Smash 4, unaware that doing so would make the game of the generation; Link vs. Adol, the fight that has been put off for 20 years too long.

One of the good things about the series is how overall the story isn't important; the basic premise is the following for every game outside of Origin-
Adol Christin goes to a town or village, said town or village is threatened by monsters and demons, Adol kicks monster and demon ass, takes down demi-god, move onto next village or town in need of demon ass to be kicked.

What's a good starting point you ask?
In this case you have 2 options (IMHO)

Start with Oath in Felghana; this is how I started out with the series and it was a great introduction. Story was simple and the overall game was a joy to play from start to finish. This game is a remake of Ys 3, released after Ys 6 and features various gameplay improvements from Ys 6.

Start with Ys 1 and 2; the original Ys games used a rather peculiar combat system: You just run at motherfuckers and Adol automatically slashes or cuts them up. It's a simple yet SATISFYING combat system, and they managed to make boss battles interesting despite this simplicity. The combat is known as the 'Bump' system, which gave rise to Adol being called One-Bump Man aka One-Cut Man aka One-Slash Man. Take your pick~
Now keep in mind there's an important aspect to the Bump system: DO NOT HIT ENEMIES HEAD ON. If an enemy is IN FRONT OF YOU DIRECTLY, do not run at their faces. Instead run at them diagonally to hit them from the side (of their sprite). Doing so otherwise will lead to YOU taking damage as well.
It'll take a few minutes to adjust to it, but once you get the hang of it you'll be bumping into monsters from their lefts and rights and racking up dat EXP and Gold~

Ys Origin is a prequel taking place centuries before Ys 1 and 2, and is best played after them to better appreciate the lore and characters in it.

What's that?
You want MORE Falcom goodness? Check out their RPG series Trails in the Sky 1 and 2, as well as Gurumin, a cute and adorable Adventure game.
Wishlist them at least if you don't plan on getting them now!

In conclusion I leave you with a selection of some of the great tracks this series is known for
RELEASE
OF
THE FAR WEST
OCEAN

Holders of Power aka Theme of Vagullion

Valsetian Castle Just keep listening~

First step towards wars

Genesis beyond the beginning

I'd post TO MAKE THE END OF BATTLE, but this track is a reward for completing Ys 1 and starting Ys 2~

So go forth young GAFfer, experience the greatness that is Ys and Adol Christin and let your voice join the many as you raise your fist towards the heaven with a mighty yell shout out "FUCK YOU, DARK FACT"

One best ARPG series i ever played that cant be recommend enough. Soooo gaf please stop playing begginer games like Dark Souls and come play Ys on nightmare runs.

Also, F*** YOU DARK FACT

Finally pulled the plug and bought the other games. Oath of Felghana was amazing (yet to finish the last boss). Thanks for the heads up.

jb1234

As I always say in these threads, Oath in Felghana is one of my favorite games ever (and Origin is also no slouch).

CSX

Bought and loved Ark of Naphisthim a few years ago. Now I can compete my Ys PC collection :D

Also get Legend of Heroes! You actually save 60 cents buying FC and SC now than you could in the summer.

EDIT : btw Tizoc, were you the original creator of that pic lol?

Eila

Bought and loved Ark of Naphisthim a few years ago. Now I can compete my Ys PC collection :D

Also get Legend of Heroes! You actually save 60 cents buying FC and SC now than you could in the summer.

You're in for a treat, then. Ark is the weakest Ys game on steam.

Vex_

Banned
I actually got my hands on a copy of memories of celceta.

This was my first experience with a ys game after hearing so much about them. I played it for only one hour as Im trying not to get sidetracked from finishing other games atm, but the combat....

It is hard to describe. It feels like it is 60fps....(im not sure if it is or not) But it feels responsive - incredibly so.

I was shocked how good the game felt to play. One button for attack, one button to guard, an evade button and skill buttons that can be used in combination with normal attacks.

Simple and intuitive. But then you get to JUST parrying, JUST evading, super moves ( I forget the name of them), mid combo character switching, and enemy weaknesses to damage types... It just works! Everytime I perfect guard a multi hit move I feel like I am at a fighting game tourney kicking ass. Oh, and the SOUND it makes. Man....

The game is so fast paced, and the sound track goes well with it.

Anyways, after I finish other games, I will get right on it! I guess im a ys fan now.

Fou-Lu

Oath in Felghana is by far the best Ys on steam. Origin feels very different than the other games and personally I didn't enjoy it as much as the others. Ys I and II are interesting but the combat is just not enjoyable. Still worth playing them all though.

Eila

It is hard to describe. It feels like it is 60fps....(im not sure if it is or not) But it feels responsive - incredibly so.

On PC it is but on Vita the framerate is pretty bad
Ys Seven on PSP is really similar so check that one out later.

Tizoc

Nope I never made it, it's been on the net longer than I've been making Ys hype threads :3

Falcom are the most underrated Japanese dev studio by miles/

Origin was incredibly fun and TITS are up the with the best classic JRPGs.

Syril

Falcom are the most underrated Japanese dev studio by miles/

Origin was incredibly fun and TITS are up the with the best classic JRPGs.
I don't think "underrated" is accurate when almost every time they get brought up is about how awesome they are. They're definitely a bit overlooked for a studio that's been active as long as them, though.

I don't think "underrated" is accurate when almost every time they get brought up is about how awesome they are. They're definitely a bit overlooked for a studio that's been active as long as them, though.

Fair, change to that or underappreciated. It's not that people think they're bad, I guess.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm a semi-recent Ys convert and I approve of this thread, and the image meme in the OP.

I was sold on Ys by playing the free demo of Ys Origin on Steam.

So people on the fence, read this: there is a free demo of Ys Origin on Steam. TRY IT NOW! It gives you a solid idea of the combat mechanics, level design, the soundtrack, art style and amazing boss fights of these games. If you enjoy it, you will enjoy the full game, Oath in Felghana, and Ark of Napishtim at least.

Recently I finished Memories of Celceta and while it was quite different than the Steam games, I still enjoyed it. Should have definitely played on Hard though. All I'm missing now is Ys VII...

Edit: oh yeah I could have sworn an identical thread was made just weeks ago, and I thought this was this old thread being bumped, but it was made today. WTF...

Wagram

I'm a semi-recent Ys convert and I approve of this thread, and the image meme in the OP.

I was sold on Ys by playing the free demo of Ys Origin on Steam.

So people on the fence, read this: there is a free demo of Ys Origin on Steam. TRY IT NOW! It gives you a solid idea of the combat mechanics, level design, the soundtrack, art style and amazing boss fights of these games. If you enjoy it, you will enjoy the full game, Oath in Felghana, and Ark of Napishtim at least.

Recently I finished Memories of Celceta and while it was quite different than the Steam games, I still enjoyed it. Should have definitely played on Hard though. All I'm missing now is Ys VII...

Nightmare (or what-ever the highest is) with no healing items is the only way to make it like Origins/Felghana. Pretty damn fun though.

Top Bottom