• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ys series (some of the BEST ARPG ever) are on sale @ Humblebundle.com

Gurumin on Steam is apparently a port of the PSP version rather than the original PC version. Kind of baffling.
Pretty sure Aeana and another poster some time back tested the Windows version and confirmed it runs at 30 FPS, using the same UI as seen in Gurumin GOG/Steam. Both its PSP and upcoming 3DS versions have different menus, if not HUDs also.

Okay now I really want to play more Ys games. I've only ever played Ys 1/2 on the Wii VC. I got to the very final dungeon and for some reason I stopped there. That was like 5 years ago and I think I've forgotten a lot of it. Should I buy the PC version of Ys 1/2? That's Chronicles right?
I & II Chronicles+ plays, looks, and sounds fairly different from the PC Engine CD version while having the same story (expanded) and similar boss designs, plus modern accessibility features. Definitely give it a shot if you want to play 2D Ys, or jump into Ark of Napishtim or Oath in Felghana for the 3D series.

televator

As a new comer to the series myself (I just got done playing up to Oath on PSP), I can definitely recomend this series to people thirsting for some good Zelda alternatives.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Falcom shilling threads are the best kind of threads. I would buy them if I didn't already own all Falcom stuff on Steam.

It's not as mechanically tight as Ys, but still a fun action-RPG adventure. The game isn't localised/published by XSeed though and that kinda shows at times. The port is also not the greatest with 1080p/30fps cap. But it's still a fun game if you don't mind that.

Whaaaat

Durante, save us!

Wait, before you buy! I DISAGREE!

Every time these games go on sale, this thread appears! I eventually bought Oath in Felghana based on these threads.

Oath sucks. It's a clunky, grindy, samey, shallow game.

The controls are bizarre (apparently it was originally a PSP game, and they couldn't figure out how to make sane controls for the character)

The hit boxes, level design, and boss design are terrible. (These have some of the worst bosses I've ever seen in a ARPG. Who thinks the bosses in the Lava Caverns are fun?)

It's grindy: Good luck beating some of those bosses or areas without running around in circles grinding for EXP. Damage is non-linear in this game, so there's an effective threshold level you need to be able to beat a boss without spending 30+ minutes whittling it's HP down to zero while avoiding the same 2-3 attacks.

It's samey. It follows the ARPG design of: A bunch of repeating rooms randomly strung together with the same 2-3 enemies in them. The levels could almost be replaced by a random level generator.

Shallow. As far as ARPGs go, this is one of the most shallow game's I've every played. Fighting simply consists of mashing attack, or using one of three specials. The main character has a few other basic attacks, but not many and poor controls makes some of them borderline useless. The main focus is on leveling up and stats.

It's a boring, tedious, game.
Every single line of this post is 100% wrong. It's actually quite astonishing.

Clunky? It's like the most responsive game ever.
Grindy? You can't even grind too much, there's an XP cap that prevents you from being over-levelled.
Terrible boss design? WTF do you consider a good boss design then?

No seriously is this a troll post? I could go on but I feel it'd be a waste of time.

Wagram

K, I bought them all.

Where to start?

It's important to note that there are basically three different Ys combat styles.

1.) Bumper Style: Ys I and Ys II
2.) Napishtim Style: Ys Origins, Felghana, and Napishtim.
3.) Party based: Ys: Seven, Ys: Memories of Celceta, and Ys VIII.

Napishtim style is generally considered the best. If you're interested in playing in order of lore then:

Origins > Ys I > Ys II > Memories of Celceta > Felghana > Ys V > Ys VI > Ys VII > Ys VIII (not in west yet).

Gonzon06

It's important to note that there are basically three different Ys combat styles.

1.) Bumper Style: Ys I and Ys II
2.) Napishtim Style: Ys Origins, Felghana, and Napishtim.
3.) Party based: Ys: Seven, Ys: Memories of Celceta, and Ys VIII.

Napishtim style is generally considered the best. If you're interested in playing in order of lore then:

Origins > Ys I > Ys II > Memories of Celceta > Felghana > Ys V > Ys VI > Ys VII > Ys VIII (not in west yet).

Actually going off Adol's age doesn't VIII take place before VI and VII?

okay there's like 4 Ys games and I can only afford one. They look like they can run on toasters and I always hear good reviews so which one should I go for? Which one is the most fun and has the best gameplay?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
okay there's like 4 Ys games and I can only afford one. They look like they can run on toasters and I always hear good reviews so which one should I go for? Which one is the most fun and has the best gameplay?
Oath in Felghana or Origin. Flipping a coin is acceptable. Picking whichever's cheapest of the two is also OK if they are a different price.

I think I have them all on GoG but maaan I wish I had gotten them on Steam but I don't feel like double dipping. I have TitS on there and just finished it but I think I'll hold off a bit longer before getting the second half. I don't feel like doing NG+ even though I could probably fly through it A LOT faster but missing things kinda sorta drives me nuts.

Piccoro

I subscribed to this thread just because of the epicness of that OP's image.

Also, I have a huge urge to play a Ys game now...

preta

I would like to know more about mr. Wataru if you have the time.

I don't know all that much about him, but he did a lot of the more electronic tracks in Napishtim. He also worked on Trails in the Sky FC, Xanadu Next, Gurumin, VM Japan, Zwei, Dinosaur Resurrection and Legend of Heroes III-V (the Gagharv trilogy). (I'm suspicious that some tracks he composed may have been used in TitS SC after he left, as well.) I've been trying to break down various Falcom soundtracks lately to figure out composers of individual songs, and that's gotten me to really recognize their individual styles more. It's been over 2 years since he died, but I'm sad all over again now that I recognize how much I liked his work in particular.

Ys games are best games! I'm currently replaying Ys Seven and eagerly awaiting an announcement for a localization of Ys 8. I might quadruple-dip and check out Napishtim on Steam (I have the PS2, PSP and the chinese PC version) and Ys 1&2 Chronicles (Ys 2 is my favorite of the series).

Link1110

I need to get around to finishing celceta and playing ys 7 before 8 comes to ps4 next year. After Tales of Berseria, catching up on this series is gonna be my next priority.

And anyone looking for a first ys game can do oath. Back in the day, Ys 3 for Genesis was my first entry into the series, then I bought book 1 and 2 of eBay once turbo grafz emulators were available cause duos were always stupid expensive.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Just doing my normal chime in of not playing this series on nightmare is depriving you of the best boss fights in gaming
also you're fraud :p

Tizoc

Ys 6 needs a remake that fixes up its issues, replaces dash jump with double jump and for certain battles to be less ridiculous.
Also cut down on the grinding.

preta

Ys 6 needs a remake that fixes up its issues, replaces dash jump with double jump and for certain battles to be less ridiculous.
Also cut down on the grinding.

Ys V remake first to make it an actually decent game. Because as it is, it's by far the worst game in the series in every single way except maybe story.

MarionCB

Good OP, and you were tempting me, but one by one each positive you got excited about talked me out of it.

I prefer Strategy or Turn-based RPGs to ARPGs in general but I'll play a good one. Then I like extensive stories but apparently the stories here are simple and not important. But is the battle system rich and rewarding? Apparently it's as simple as hell. Hmm.

I want to buy them but it sounds like they're not for me. Maybe I should grab TiTS instead?

Tizoc

Good OP, and you were tempting me, but one by one each positive you got excited about talked me out of it.

I prefer Strategy or Turn-based RPGs to ARPGs in general but I'll play a good one. Then I like extensive stories but apparently the stories here are not important and simple. But is the battle system rich and rewarding? Apparently it's as simple as hell. Hmm.

I want to buy them but it sounds like they're not for me. Maybe I should grab TiTS instead?

Go for it! TiTS' writing is pretty good, heck it even has books you can find that tell a good story itself-
TrailsSCBook-1.jpg

Give at least Oath in Felghana a try, if it manages to win you over try out Origin at least as well.

preta

I prefer Strategy or Turn-based RPGs to ARPGs in general but I'll play a good one. Then I like extensive stories but apparently the stories here are simple and not important. But is the battle system rich and rewarding? Apparently it's as simple as hell. Hmm.

TiTS definitely sounds like exactly what you are looking for. I'd still suggest giving at least one Ys game a try, as long as they're on sale.

Ascheroth

The stories are simple, but they are still pretty fun. It's true that the battle system is simple at its core, but somehow it's still rewarding as fuck everytime you beat a boss and even mowing through normal enemies is simple but great fun.
Ys Origin has a free demo, so I say just try it out!

Though it sounds like you'd like TiTS more, so I'd say go for that one. Just know that the game has a 'slow' start (I love it for that, but some find it 'boring') and a ton of dialogue (every time you advance a little in the main story, every single NPC has something new to talk about, and not crappy unimportant one-liners, but something about their actual lifes or world). Seriously, the games worldbuilding is amazing. Hell, I could tell you how the entire economy of the Liberl Kingdom works.

Go for it! TiTS' writing is pretty good, heck it even has books you can find that tell a good story itself-

Give at least Oath in Felghana a try, if it manages to win you over try out Origin at least as well.
It has books in it that are so good that I want to have a sequel to an in-world book series in a game. Let that sink in for a moment.
But seriously, I want to know how the Doll Knight continues!

MarionCB

Thanks everyone; I'll get TitS for now. Turns out I have Origin on steam from some bundle or other, so I can try that too and see if I like it. :)

Tizoc

Thanks everyone; I'll get TitS for now. Turns out I have Origin on steam from some bundle or other, so I can try that too and see if I like it. :)

s655Kwq.jpg

Hope you enjoy it enough to grab TiTS Second Chapter (basically the sequel to the First Chapter) when it goes on sale again :3

Eila

Ys Origin on the Humble Japanese Bundle like 2 years back was how I got into Falcom. Well, I had actually played Oath partially, but that's when I got really serious :)

Maedhros

VI was the first game with the isometric view, so it's the less polished one.

Oath and Origin are really, REALLY good.

They changed the gameplay with 7, Memories and VIII. Still have to play them fully, but I liked Ys 7, the small amount I've played too.

I guess playing VI last wasn't such a great idea, coming off Oath and Origins, it really is flawed in comparison. Still plan to finish it someday but yeah, these games were a blast to play!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yup. Ignore QisTopTier, he's hyperbole king. :p
I just try to save people from disappointment, if anyone plays 6 it should be before oath and origin. Nightmare 6 is were my statements ring the loudest. Lots of janky instant death stuff.
I guess playing VI last wasn't such a great idea, coming off Oath and Origins, it really is flawed in comparison. Still plan to finish it someday but yeah, these games were a blast to play!

Yup :p

Syril

I still really like the elemental swords in Ys VI with how each of them had their own special moves. I missed that in the other ones, especially with the one case of it in Origin.

Top Bottom