• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ys series (some of the BEST ARPG ever) are on sale @ Humblebundle.com

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Erm sorry gent's the OP has tempted me to play these games but the difficulty is quite concerning, the only JRPG's I've gone balls deep in has been the Square Soft titles, some Level 5, Souls (if they're classed as JRPG's), and Shining Force and few others back in the day I found them to be manageable up until I gave the likes of SMT IV an attempt but if these games are supposed harder then what is at the very least the most accessible in the series ? sorry for being a noob.

Difficulty is fine, just don't play these games on the highest difficulty level, especially Y's 1/2. I gave those a shot on max difficulty and it's pure bullshit. Challenge in the worst way possible. On lower difficulties they are fine or even very easy depending.

Some of these games have upwards of 5-6 difficulty settings to choose from, so just stick to default and you should be good for the most part(or adjust upwards slightly). These games are very reflex-based as they are twitch button-mashing action sprees compared to your examples. Lots of whacking the sword button with the occasional magical damage dump.

Difficulty is fine, just don't play these games on the highest difficulty level, especially Y's 1/2. I gave those a shot on max difficulty and it's pure bullshit. Challenge in the worst way possible. On lower difficulties they are fine or even very easy depending.

Some of these games have upwards of 5-6 difficulty settings to choose from, so just stick to default and you should be good for the most part(or adjust upwards slightly). These games are very reflex-based as they are twitch button-mashing action sprees compared to your examples. Lots of whacking the sword button with the occasional magical damage dump.

Nah, Nightmare is fun. The bosses in Ys 2 (and the few solid ones in Ys 1) really shine on that mode.

I definitely wouldn't recommend hard mode or above (on any of these games) to someone who doesn't want to be pushed a little, though.

Souls I can handle SMT is just bullshit

If you can handle Souls games you can handle Ys. So long as you understand Ys approach to difficulty is completely different from Souls. In Ys you're encouraged to fight every enemy you come across while that's not the case in Souls. I think this is the crucial difference between the games that can frustrate some Souls players when people frame their expectations of the game as being something similar. Ys is less punishing than Souls, but it demands a lot more of the player in order for them to be able to progress in the game.

so...grinding ?

Not really. It's moreso that Ys difficulty is much more controlled than Souls. EXP gains and stat potency are balanced in a way that prevents you from grinding to outscale bosses, while also making sure that you're engaging in the content as you progress.

So in other words the games are designed to discourage grinding, while also making sure you aren't just running passed and skipping enemies to the next checkpoint/end of dungeon.

How strict they are about this depends on the game though. They range from extremely controlled like Oath in Felghana, to games like Ys Seven where progression is more free.

Erm sorry gent's the OP has tempted me to play these games but the difficulty is quite concerning, the only JRPG's I've gone balls deep in has been the Square Soft titles, some Level 5, Souls (if they're classed as JRPG's), and Shining Force and few others back in the day I found them to be manageable up until I gave the likes of SMT IV an attempt but if these games are supposed harder then what is at the very least the most accessible in the series ? sorry for being a noob

I love Ys Seven. I think it's not only an accessible entry but it's pretty much the perfect Ys experience in my mind. So I'll recommend that one if you have a Vita. That or Celceta are probably the most accessible entries.

If you're PC only though...That's harder. I'd say sample both Ys 1 and Oath in Felghana and see what gameplay style is more your speed. Be warned though that those two games have probably the most rigidly controlled difficulties out of all the modern releases. They're the games where each level makes a huge difference.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Seven or Celceta make the most sense for someone looking for a more traditional Japanese RPG, they are easier than the other games and have mechanics and general flow that would be familiar. That's all a big part of the reason I don't like those games as much, but also why some people prefer them.

i bought ys 1 thanks to this thread, and im loving it. Took a while to get my head around the bump system, but its clever!

Playing on nightmare as well. :D

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
i bought ys 1 thanks to this thread, and im loving it. Took a while to get my head around the bump system, but its clever!

Playing on nightmare as well. :D

Wait until you reach the bat boss. That one pretty much killed my Nightmare run, and I was pretty much fine with the difficulty up to that guy.

lol, every time this thread gets bumped for a brief second i think they're on sale on humble again, i missed that sale.

Perhaps we should make a Ys community thread?

I really need to dive deeper into this series, i've only ever played the Turbografx CD port of the first two.

lol, every time this thread gets bumped for a brief second i think they're on sale on humble again, i missed that sale.

I really need to dive deeper into this series, i've only ever played the Turbografx CD port of the first two.

I'm going to PM a mod about this deception. I get burned every time this thread gets bumped.

Tizoc

I plan on making an ys primer thread like the yakuza one ^^;
Will aska. Fellow gaffer to put it up in due time

Top Bottom