• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ys series (some of the BEST ARPG ever) are on sale @ Humblebundle.com

neoemonk

I played 1 a while ago and need to get around to 2.

And this is probably a good time to jump into Trails in the Sky on PC. I have it on PSP/Vita but I want it on the big monitor.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I was playing Oath in Felghana a few weeks ago on my PC.

I got past the first boss, and was in a sandy environment. Whenever I moved the character, it would cause my screen to do this weird flickering... like the Hz rate of my TV was screwed up.

Tried a bunch of stuff to fix it, but couldn't. Only happened in the yellow desert environment, no where else.

Tizoc

If I found Ys 1 somewhat boring, should I check out 2 and onwards anyway?

Personally speaking I liked Ys 1 more than 2.
2 only added 1 additional attack, but features grinding since the level cap goes up to 99.
Granted you do end up grinding in Ys 1, but the level cap there is 10 and is easy and quickly reached if you know what you're doing.

While others have recommended it, it all comes down to you and if you end up liking it, all the better I say :)

Maybe a silly question, but how well does Oath of Felghana handle with the Steam controller? Does the cursor icon disappear?

Or any of the titles for that matter, as I've never played anything in the franchise prior.

petran79

Banned
Currently I am playing the PC version of Celceta with the patched English Vita translation.

Very different from previous Ys titles, with party system and more varied item and material collection, as well as the inclusion of quests.

Though I dont like that 3d environment. Prefer the isometric view of previous Ys games. Despite being older they have better details and colors. Also music is hardly memorable. Though it has the best opening video of all Ys games si far.

Also fighting with partners makes it less exciting. Adol fights alone in desolate environments, trying to find the best tactics to defeat bosses. Partners get in the way. It takes away from the atmosphere.

I'd prefer this to have been my first Ys game. I'd have liked it more.

Link1110

Martine have to play Ys 1 again, but I best it on Turbo, Saturn and PC years ago and I don't remember Dark Fact being that hard. The vampire on the other hand...

Tizoc

Currently I am playing the PC version of Celceta with the patched English Vita translation.

Very different from previous Ys titles, with party system and more varied item and material collection, as well as the inclusion of quests.

Though I dont like that 3d environment. Prefer the isometric view of previous Ys games. Despite being older they have better details and colors. Also music is hardly memorable. Though it has the best opening video of all Ys games si far.

Also fighting with partners makes it less exciting. Adol fights alone in desolate environments, trying to find the best tactics to defeat bosses. Partners get in the way. It takes away from the atmosphere.

I'd prefer this to have been my first Ys game. I'd have liked it more.

How's the performance of the Chinese PC ver.?

Speaking of which I think we might start seeing Ys Seven and 4 (MoC) by next year on PC at the earliest.

petran79

Banned

Speaking of which I think we might start seeing Ys Seven and 4 (MoC) by next year on PC at the earliest.

Runs smooth even on an old laptop with an Intel HD 3000 card and it supports res up to 4k.
Difference is that it is hardcoded, therefore it misses some visual fx of the Vita version.

Unfortunately the config menu is not as detailed as the other Ys games on Steam, so you have to edit the ini settings manually.

Also due to the nature of the patch, you need to put config.exe in a separate folder in order to configure the gamepad controls. Or else game will crash.

I am on the mission where you have to map the forest and it is one of the most boring moments I've encountered in an Ys game. Now I am at the point where I have to find the right way in the misty forest. Even more boring.
Hope game picks up later...

jb1234

I tried it a while back. There's a few glitches but it runs better than the Vita version just on the virtue of being 60 fps.

So I remember seeing this thread and wanting to try the series out, so I just bought YS1+2, Oath in Felghana, YS Origin, and YS VI: The Ark of Napishtim for 20 bucks total on GOG.

I won't be able to play them for a while because I've got an insane backlog between Pokemon, Hitman, and all the stuff I picked up on the GOG sale earlier this month, but I'm excited to try them out sometime.

Did I do good, GAF?

Toth

I finally finished Ys1 and 2 a few days ago (BEFORE the sale...arrrggghh) and it was worth it. A really classic RPG that should not be missed. Plus it looks gorgeous!

Kudo

So I remember seeing this thread and wanting to try the series out, so I just bought YS1+2, Oath in Felghana, YS Origin, and YS VI: The Ark of Napishtim for 20 bucks total on GOG.

I won't be able to play them for a while because I've got an insane backlog between Pokemon, Hitman, and all the stuff I picked up on the GOG sale earlier this month, but I'm excited to try them out sometime.

Did I do good, GAF?

Yup, now make some time to play them.
My friend gifted me the series on Steam and currently playing 2 and loving it.

Tizoc

Did I do good, GAF?

I plan on updating this the first post into a primer, but right now you have the following playing order
Ys 1+2->Ys OiF->Ys 6->Ys Origin

Alt. you can skip 1+2 and start from OiF with no issues at all :3

Blueingreen

What is the difficulty in these games like, as an intermediate RPG player is it approachable, I remember attempting to play Shin Megami Tenses and just getting annihilated.

What is the difficulty in these games like as intermediate RPG player is it approachable, I remember attempting to play Shin Megami Tenses and just getting annihilated.

I've only played OiF, whose difficulty at points reached straight up ridiculousness. The final boss felt like straight up trolling. To me, it's definitely harder than SMT or Souls.

Disagree in a world where 5 (and 4 Mask of the Sun) exists.

I liked Ys V (played it on SNES recently) it was the origin for the Ys formula found in Oath and Ark. Had some pretty impressive stuff going for an SNES game too, visually it was close to the Star Ocean/Tales of Phantasia/Seiken Densetsu 3-tier games.

I've only played OiF, whose difficulty at points reached straight up ridiculousness. The final boss felt like straight up trolling. To me, it's definitely harder than SMT or Souls.

As a diehard fan of Souls games, they (and Bloodborne) are straight up amateur hour compared to the hardest difficulties of Ys games.

Ascheroth

What is the difficulty in these games like as intermediate RPG player is it approachable, I remember attempting to play Shin Megami Tenses and just getting annihilated.

Well, 'Normal' in Ys is comparable to 'Hard' in other games, especially during bosses.
They are without a doubt challenging and no walk in the park.
They have an Easy-mode though, but I can't say how easy that one really is as I haven't tried it yet.

Ogawa-san

The fun about Ys (and Falcom games in general) is that it ranges from impossible to "I looked at it and it died" in the span of 2 or 3 levels.

eot

Banned
This is freaky, I thought about a thread just like this that Tizoc made earlier, just two minutes ago, then I see this bumped. Wtf

rjc571

Banned
The fun about Ys (and Falcom games in general) is that it ranges from impossible to "I looked at it and it died" in the span of 2 or 3 levels.

Yeah, if you ever get stuck at a difficult boss fight you can just spend some time grinding and it becomes easy as pie

Thud

Yeah, if you ever get stuck at a difficult boss fight you can just spend some time grinding and it becomes easy as pie

You should never have to grind, but you should also never skip enemies. Just proceed as you normally would, upgrade your equipment and more importantly learn the attack patterns of the bosses.

It also gets harder to increase your level depending on the difficulty. So grinding is typically not the way unless you're severely under leveled. However then you would notice that as the enemies in that area are tougher. These games tend to telegraph well how you fare if you look at the damage given and taken. If you're doing a small amount of damage you might be doing something wrong. Maybe you haven't touched the weak spots of the boss or maybe your sword needs an upgrade. If you're getting a lot of damage, then you might need new armor or you should focus how to avoid getting hit by special attacks.

The games are challenging but fair. Except for Dark Fact...

For first timers I would recommend Easy/Normal and go from there. While Nightmare is a true testament to these games, you need to be thoroughly prepared lol.

Ascheroth

You should never have to grind, but you should also never skip enemies. Just proceed as you normally would, upgrade your equipment and more importantly learn the attack patterns of the bosses.

It also gets harder to increase your level depending on the difficulty. So grinding is typically not the way unless you're severely under leveled. However then you would notice that as the enemies in that area are tougher. These games tend to telegraph well how you fare if you look at the damage given and taken. If you're doing a small amount of damage you might be doing something wrong. Maybe you haven't touched the weak spots of the boss or maybe your sword needs an upgrade. If you're getting a lot of damage, then you might need new armor or you should focus how to avoid getting hit by special attacks.

The games are challenging but fair. Except for Dark Fact...

For first timers I would recommend Easy/Normal and go from there. While Nightmare is a true testament to these games, you need to be thoroughly prepared lol.

Fun thing about Dark Fact is, that while he looks like bullshit and completely random at first glance, after somehow defeating him on Nightmare I went back and fought him on Normal again and it was a walk in the park lol.

Ascheroth

I will literally hold my granddaughter's hand as i pass away into the netherworld before SC gets any cheaper

I really doubt it's going to go much cheaper in the foreseeable future. Maybe -50% during next years winter sale or they bundle all of them once the 3rd releases for some extra %.
They don't really have much incentive to drop the price, since achievement stats show that nearly everyone who has completed FC bought SC already.

Top Bottom