• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ys series (some of the BEST ARPG ever) are on sale @ Humblebundle.com

I'm a semi-recent Ys convert and I approve of this thread, and the image meme in the OP.

I was sold on Ys by playing the free demo of Ys Origin on Steam.

So people on the fence, read this: there is a free demo of Ys Origin on Steam. TRY IT NOW! It gives you a solid idea of the combat mechanics, level design, the soundtrack, art style and amazing boss fights of these games. If you enjoy it, you will enjoy the full game, Oath in Felghana, and Ark of Napishtim at least.

Recently I finished Memories of Celceta and while it was quite different than the Steam games, I still enjoyed it. Should have definitely played on Hard though. All I'm missing now is Ys VII...

Edit: oh yeah I could have sworn an identical thread was made just weeks ago, and I thought this was this old thread being bumped, but it was made today. WTF...
Same... With the same (incredible) meme I think.

I'll have to finally play Oath, I've had it downloaded for a while.

Vex_

Banned
On PC it is but on Vita the framerate is pretty bad
Ys Seven on PSP is really similar so check that one out later.

Maybe it is because I am running the latest henkaku? The latest hen update features an overclock that boosts framerates.

And yes, I will give ys seven a look. What is the best way to play this if my psp isnt exactly working anymore?

Joke's on you Humble Bundle, I already have all the Ys games on Steam!

But yeah, amazing games and everyone should play them. Adol is one of the GOAT video game heroes.

In conclusion I leave you with a selection of some of the great tracks this series is known for
RELEASE
OF
THE FAR WEST
OCEAN

Holders of Power aka Theme of Vagullion

Valsetian Castle Just keep listening~

First step towards wars

Genesis beyond the beginning

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Wagram

5- You play as Adol 'Gets shit done' Christin, one of the most badass protagonists in a video game series, he's so badass, Nintendo remain chickenshit to add him to Smash 4, unaware that doing so would make the game of the generation; Link vs. Adol, the fight that has been put off for 20 years too long.

Links dope, but Adol would kick his ass. Not even a fair fight.

Absol

ModBot said:
Instructions for Absol:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1280148.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Absol, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Ys Chronicles -- MB-A95174C86727D173 - Taken by Timodus. 6 entrants total.

t1474262911z1.png

Because everyone needs to experience Dark Fact

Hybris

You know, every time these games go on sale, there's always one of you bastards who makes a thread. Keep doing god's work. Now excuse me, I have to go reinstall origin for yet another replay.

Dark_castle

And now weep because Ys has pretty much ditched the older style of Adol solo action-platforming adventures in favor of a more text heavy, party-based RPG. :p

Oath in Felghana is one of the absolute greatest games that I have ever played. The others are all top tier as well. Do not miss out on them.

Play Trails too!

Tizoc

And now weep because Ys has pretty much ditched the older style of Adol solo action-platforming adventures in favor of a more text heavy, party-based RPG. :p
Eh i dont mind
I like falcom for their gameplay and ive enjoyed many of their post ys 6 output

Tizoc

K, I bought them all.

Where to start?

Read the first post again ;P
If you don't mind ye olde combat systems-
Start with Ys 1 and 2, then play Ys 6>Ys 3>Ys Origin OR go Ys 3>Ys 6>Origin
Don't worry about the story as all Ys games aim to have self contained plots, although Ys 6 brings up story stuff from Ys 3 but it's nothing too crucial

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
In other news... why did I only just hear about Gurumin now?

How is that game? A cuter, kiddier version of Ys? Could still be fun...

NEO0MJ

I only played Oath on the PSP years ago but dropped it when I got stuck against a dragon boss. Not sure I want to buy these just to hoard them 🤔

Tizoc

I only played Oath on the PSP years ago but dropped it when I got stuck against a dragon boss. Not sure I want to buy these just to hoard them ��

Pfft that bitch was a worthy opponent, you just needed to grind a little and get 3 more levels then STEEL YOUR WILL FOR BATTLE and take on that bastich.

i have now purchased Trails in the sky, and Ys the oath in felghana.

Tits because of that mothers basment video on it that made it look really interesting.

and Ys because it looked rad and you just did a pretty good job on selling me on it.

Thank yee for the heads up.

Ascheroth

Falcom shilling threads are the best kind of threads. I would buy them if I didn't already own all Falcom stuff on Steam.

In other news... why did I only just hear about Gurumin now?

How is that game? A cuter, kiddier version of Ys? Could still be fun...

It's not as mechanically tight as Ys, but still a fun action-RPG adventure. The game isn't localised/published by XSeed though and that kinda shows at times. The port is also not the greatest with 1080p/30fps cap. But it's still a fun game if you don't mind that.

TheBear

This thread made me want to buy a Ys game. And then I realised I already have oath in felghana in my steam library. Nice!

Shin-chan

How do the PSP games run? I know PC is better but I'm moving away from my computer indefinitely this week but have a Falcom itch. I'd like an Ys game to go alongside CS2.

Ogawa-san

This thread made me want to buy a Ys game. And then I realised I already have oath in felghana in my steam library. Nice!
That's sort of how it started for me. "I really should get around beating this Felghana game thing that's been in my library for so long."

Yada yada yada, the entire Falcom catalog on Steam/PSN is either in my wishlist or library.

Tizoc

How do the PSP games run? I know PC is better but I'm moving away from my computer indefinitely this week but have a Falcom itch. I'd like an Ys game to go alongside CS2.
Theyre good imo
Heck they are how i got into the series!
Inwas doing night shift at work and decided to start ys oif
My life changed on that week

That's sort of how it started for me. "I really should get around beating this Felghana game thing that's been in my library for so long."

Yada yada yada, the entire Falcom catalog on Steam/PSN is either in my wishlist or library.

Yup. Same here. Just beat Ark, I, II, Oath, and Origins bam bam bam bam bam last year.

Good times.

Shin-chan

Theyre good imo
Heck they are how i got into the series!
Inwas doing night shift at work and decided to start ys oif
My life changed on that week
Thanks. I played Oath on PC but I might pick up one of the others to play over the next couple of months until the Pro launches.

Narroo

Wait, before you buy! I DISAGREE!

Every time these games go on sale, this thread appears! I eventually bought Oath in Felghana based on these threads.

Oath sucks. It's a clunky, grindy, samey, shallow game.

The controls are bizarre (apparently it was originally a PSP game, and they couldn't figure out how to make sane controls for the character)

The hit boxes, level design, and boss design are terrible. (These have some of the worst bosses I've ever seen in a ARPG. Who thinks the bosses in the Lava Caverns are fun?)

It's grindy: Good luck beating some of those bosses or areas without running around in circles grinding for EXP. Damage is non-linear in this game, so there's an effective threshold level you need to be able to beat a boss without spending 30+ minutes whittling it's HP down to zero while avoiding the same 2-3 attacks.

It's samey. It follows the ARPG design of: A bunch of repeating rooms randomly strung together with the same 2-3 enemies in them. The levels could almost be replaced by a random level generator.

Shallow. As far as ARPGs go, this is one of the most shallow game's I've every played. Fighting simply consists of mashing attack, or using one of three specials. The main character has a few other basic attacks, but not many and poor controls makes some of them borderline useless. The main focus is on leveling up and stats.

It's a boring, tedious, game.

Ascheroth

Every time these games go on sale, this thread appears! I eventually bought Oath in Felghana based on these threads.

Oath sucks. It's a clunky, grindy, samey, shallow game.

The controls are bizarre (apparently it was originally a PSP game, and they couldn't figure out how to make sane controls for the character)

The hit boxes, level design, and boss design are terrible. (These have some of the worst bosses I've ever seen in a ARPG. Who thinks the bosses in the Lava Caverns are fun?)

It's grindy: Good luck beating some of those bosses or areas without running around in circles grinding for EXP. Damage is non-linear in this game, so there's an effective threshold level you need to be able to beat a boss without spending 30+ minutes whittling it's HP down to zero while avoiding the same 2-3 attacks.

It's samey. It follows the ARPG design of: A bunch of repeating rooms randomly strung together with the same 2-3 enemies in them. The levels could almost be replaced by a random level generator.

Shallow. As far as ARPGs go, this is one of the most shallow game's I've every played. Fighting simply consists of mashing attack, or using one of three specials. The main character has a few other basic attacks, but not many and poor controls makes some of them borderline useless. The main focus is on leveling up and stats.

It's a boring, tedious, game.

You can have your opinion and all, but just know that your opinion is terribly wrong.

The controls are great, not sure what your problem there is. It also was originally a PC game, the PSP version is the port in this case.

The Ys games have some of the greatest and tightest boss battles in the entire genre. Some in Oath can be a little annoying, but they are still perfectly manageable if you know what you're doing.

Also grinding isn't nearly as important as you make it seem. It's far more important that you have the best equipment available to you, and for that you often have to explore. But even then, you can offset everything with skill.

(Source: I've completed Oath on Inferno)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You can have your opinion and all, but just know that your opinion is terribly wrong.

The controls are great, not sure what your problem there is. It also was originally a PC game, the PSP version is the port in this case.

The Ys games have some of the greatest and tightest boss battles in the entire genre. Some in Oath can be a little annoying, but they are still perfectly manageable if you know what you're doing.

Also grinding isn't nearly as important as you make it seem. It's far more important that you have the best equipment available to you, and for that you often have to explore. But even then, you can offset everything with skill.

(Source: I've completed Oath on Inferno)

Yeah, I mean, you can't even grind much since the game scales experience.

Controls are also good, I don't like Trails' controls much (menu being tied to cancel is so awkward to me) but Ys is fine.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
TitS all over me. Still haven't played SC on Steam but I'll end up getting that when it goes on sale after I build my next PC.

Durante

Wait before you read, that guy has no idea what he is talking about.

I won't go into every individual point in detail, but just to give an idea of how utterly and fundamentally our opinions diverge: I've previously used Ys Origin as an example of one of the best, most responsive and most satisfying control schemes of all time.

The controls are so direct and excellent that it is the only controller game in which I can immediately tell the difference between 60 and 120 FPS just based on control responsiveness.

Never mind how bizarre and refutable everything else you said is. This, however, is hilarious. Oath in Felghana on Steam/GOG's the enhanced version of Falcom's Windows original, just like Gurumin on Steam/GOG (the original PC release also ran at 30 FPS sadly).

The most repetitive zone, visually and mechanically, is Elderm Mountains, but really not for long. Almost every screen/sector does something new and substantial. It's as questionable as Dark Shrine not having a save right after the front entrance, rather than being stuck right at the dock. And that's really not a big deal, and I disagree that Oath's grindy, hard to control, and repetitive. Some of these complaints fit vanilla Ark of Napishtim better...bosses mainly.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Never mind how bizarre and refutable everything else you said is. This, however, is hilarious. Oath in Felghana on Steam/GOG's the enhanced version of Falcom's Windows original, just like Gurumin on Steam/GOG (the original PC release also ran at 30 FPS sadly).

The most repetitive zone, visually and mechanically, is Elderm Mountains, but really not for long. Almost every screen/sector does something new and substantial. It's as questionable as Dark Shrine not having a save right after the front entrance, rather than being stuck right at the dock. And that's really not a big deal, and I disagree that Oath's grindy, hard to control, and repetitive. Some of these complaints fit vanilla Ark of Napishtim better...bosses mainly.

Gurumin on Steam is apparently a port of the PSP version rather than the original PC version. Kind of baffling.

Vibed

Okay now I really want to play more Ys games. I've only ever played Ys 1/2 on the Wii VC. I got to the very final dungeon and for some reason I stopped there. That was like 5 years ago and I think I've forgotten a lot of it. Should I buy the PC version of Ys 1/2? That's Chronicles right?

Top Bottom