• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 impressions thread:

davitpr

very excited for this one and seems the developers are confident in it as well. I'm going to finish Watch Dogs 1 now..

Ploid 3.0

Looking forward to the online features, just because I saw some awesome invasions in WD1 recently and I was inspired by their tricks.

Ploid 3.0

Wow it looks like I'm going to enjoy the heck out of this game. So much random stuff to mess with. GTA: SA crazy codes style. I hope there are crazier stuff in this game, like codes. I can get over no flying cars cheat due to the drone and hopper. I wonder how far you can go with getting people to attack each other.

Staf

Watching the Giantbomb one. The new gadgets seems cool. But wow, the voice acting and writing is terrible.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
How's the bike and car handling?
Completed overhauled, they created a new engine tool for vehicle handling that makes iterating and making each car feel different much simpler. So more time could be spen on polish and making driving feel good.

SJRB

Gold Member
Is there any normal gameplay out there? I watched several videos, and everyone is just straight up Saints Rowing it: driving like an idiot over sidewalks and stuff, killing people left and right, crashing everywhere. You know, like the Giantbomb quicklook.

I just want a "tour" of the features and especially the city.

Kaversmed

Sounds good but really not impressed with the latest videos I've seen. Not falling for the hype again.

Is there any normal gameplay out there? I watched several videos, and everyone is just straight up Saints Rowing it: driving like an idiot over sidewalks and stuff, killing people left and right, crashing everywhere. You know, like the Giantbomb quicklook.

Yeah, I think this might be why I'm not "feeling it" just yet. A lot of the gameplay vids out there doesn't exactly showcase how I would like to play the game.

I will definitely get this game but after a few months when the DLC situation is clearer and when I can get a better price than usual. Already have sooooo much stuff to play as it is.

So I've watched hours of gameplay and even though the physics are goddamn fucking horrible I have been convinced this is going to be an awesome game. Being able to infiltrate a compound with drones while you're sitting in a getaway vehicle outside of it the whole time listening to R&B is awesome. I don't care about all the ways the game falls short when compared to GTA because they've fleshed out all the unique features of their game to be worth it just because of those. Like, I'd still buy it even if you couldn't use guns or drive cars. Who needs those when you can frame people and call hits on them with a button press?

And man do I love what I've seen of the city reactivity. The civies have so many different reactions to stuff and feel real. Some dude was in a cafe listening to these two women's conversation and then decided to take a selfie with them. They freaking posed for the camera! And then he flicked off someone outside and they ran in and pushed him and warned him. He flicked them off again and got punched and then the person ranted and walked away. I was very impressed the npc knew when to lay off instead of trying to punch you to death like in every other open-world game.

I do wish there was more pedestrian density because the game looks pretty empty when driving around so hopefully the PC version doesn't have that issue. And by god do Ubisoft need to overhaul their physics system in WD3 because in WD1 it was the worst one of any open-world game and they look to have made it even worse in WD2. The car driving looks like jank-incarnate! Everytime someone tries to run over an NPC and they just slide while standing in the same position I have a migraine and start bleeding from the nose.

SomTervo

So I've watched hours of gameplay and even though the physics are goddamn fucking horrible I have been convinced this is going to be an awesome game. Being able to infiltrate a compound with drones while you're sitting in a getaway vehicle outside of it the whole time listening to R&B is awesome. I don't care about all the ways the game falls short when compared to GTA because they've fleshed out all the unique features of their game to be worth it just because of those. Like, I'd still buy it even if you couldn't use guns or drive cars. Who needs those when you can frame people and call hits on them with a button press?

And man do I love what I've seen of the city reactivity. The civies have so many different reactions to stuff and feel real. Some dude was in a cafe listening to these two women's conversation and then decided to take a selfie with them. They freaking posed for the camera! And then he flicked off someone outside and they ran in and pushed him and warned him. He flicked them off again and got punched and then the person ranted and walked away. I was very impressed the npc knew when to lay off instead of trying to punch you to death like in every other open-world game.

I do wish there was more pedestrian density because the game looks pretty empty when driving around so hopefully the PC version doesn't have that issue. And by god do Ubisoft need to overhaul their physics system in WD3 because in WD1 it was the worst one of any open-world game and they look to have made it even worse in WD2. The car driving looks like jank-incarnate! Everytime someone tries to run over an NPC and they just slide while standing in the same position I have a migraine and start bleeding from the nose.

Very well said, and agreed.

Tbh I loved the level design in the first game and if they can up that while giving players a bunch more tools (which it looks like they have) I'm in.

Watching the Giantbomb one. The new gadgets seems cool. But wow, the voice acting and writing is terrible.

Looks better than the first one in that regard.

... But that's not saying much.

I really don't understand that character covered in studs.

Mr. Tibbs

PC Gamer enjoyed the gameplay, but were less impressed with the universe and story. Watch Dogs 2 feels slick, enjoyable, but terribly hollow.

To play the game is to alternate between giddy enjoyment and a sense of overwhelming superficiality. When I hack the ignition on a yacht through the eyes of my quadrotor drone, smashing the boat against a jetty to the surprise of guards who I then bombard with shock grenades as they move to investigate, I want to buy the designers a drink. But when I hear my character's DedSec chums rant about conformity and consumerism while sipping take-out coffees and brandishing phones full of licensed music, I want to reach through the screen and give everybody a clip round the ear. The game is entertaining under the thumb, but its hacktivist premise rings incredibly hollow.

Thematic inconsistencies of this sort are, admittedly, nothing new for contemporary and vaguely topical blockbusters like Watch Dogs. But there's something especially grating, even second time around, about a tale of battling Big Data that is told through a game with a raft of persistent online features, a game about political and artistic transgression which leverages open world design principles as old and fusty as Assassin's Creed.

PC Gamer enjoyed the gameplay, but were less impress with the universe and story. Watch Dogs 2 feels slick, enjoyable, but terribly hollow.

I have to say I thought I'd be cringing at all the dialogue but it actually is decent to me. It all feels very tongue-in-cheek almost as if Ubisoft is trying to do satire. It works a lot better than the boring self-serious conversations about the government in the first game. In this game, hearing Marcus spout surface-level philosophy about the government made me laugh. And I like how whenever Wrench says something stupid Marcus cringes at him.

Dominator

Really hoping for an Assassin's Creed to Assassin's Creed 2 type of leap. I'm not watching much about the game but I'm definitely gonna get it and check it out.

SentryDown

PC Gamer enjoyed the gameplay, but were less impress with the universe and story. Watch Dogs 2 feels slick, enjoyable, but terribly hollow.

That's like the basic paradox of Watch Dogs, it seems that they tried to do a little better with this one than the first but it will always be laughable.

"Fight the establishment of social medias companies who spy on our lives in the brand new Watch Dogs 2 ! Also please don't forget to like & suscribe." will always feel wrong. I wish they removed some of the debatable mechanics though, such as stealing money from ordinary citizens but I can't really blame them for the guns as long as we have alternative options.

Jumeira

Banned
Just hope it's not cursed by Ubi open world fatigue. Will wait for reviews, looks much better then WD1 though.

I'm replaying GTA 5 and I'm astounded with its open world design. Hope they studied it ling and hard.

Kuldar

So much this. I understand that they didn't have enough time to do a stealth gameplay session, but it just feels like they didn't even read tips and other informations on the screen.

knerl

Any word on vehicle handling? Hate the handling in the first game. Would benefit greatly from something kind of like in GTAV.

swarley64

Do any of these show or discuss the multiplayer?
Also, is the hat more or less iconic than the first game's hat?

Kuldar

They only show single player gameplay. Few times there was a prompt for inviting people to do side mission but people didn't talk about it. Ubisoft might have asked them to not talk about it for the moment.

Definitely getting this.

Everything I see and read about this game makes it look that Ubisoft definitely noticed how terrible Watch Dogs actually was even though the gameplay could have been so damn interesting.

I also haven't touched an open world game since GTA 5 and I am craving for one.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
They only show single player gameplay. Few times there was a prompt for inviting people to do side mission but people didn't talk about it. Ubisoft might have asked them to not talk about it for the moment.
The last impressions event was solely about MP so they're focusing on SP for this one.
Not feeling this at all.
You never are so I think we get it.

TVexperto

I still dont understand why Aiden was hated so much, his revenge story gave the story a much needed emotional weight

Just hope it's not cursed by Ubi open world fatigue. Will wait for reviews, looks much better then WD1 though.

I'm replaying GTA 5 and I'm astounded with its open world design. Hope they studied it ling and hard.

I'm playing both GTAV and Watch Dogs at the moment, and while R*'s game is obviously vastly superior, Watch Dogs is a decent side companion which does some things of its own pretty well. I hate every single piece of writing in it though, and the whole 'Hacktivist Batman' angle is fucking awful and cringeworthy. It's a shame the car handling and physics are so poor though, considering Reflections (Driver series) are under the Ubi umbrella as well. They should have just just used the driving model from Driver: San Francisco, as they nailed it in that game.

I still dont understand why Aiden was hated so much, his revenge story gave the story a much needed emotional weight
Most people have a problem with Aiden being:

(i) The gruffest man in Chicago!
(ii) The fact that revenge is literally the only thing on his mind
(iii) The insane hypocrisy in what he does in-game and in the story versus what he seems to believe in. Claims to be a good guy and stops crimes, then literally clears a guy's bank account the next second?
(iv) A man whose personality is based around his goals which is simply revenge. He does not like things, he does not make jokes and he most certainly does not smile unless it's a flashback.

Mifec

I'm playing both GTAV and Watch Dogs at the moment, and while R*'s game is obviously vastly superior, Watch Dogs is a decent side companion which does some things of its own pretty well. I hate every single piece of writing in it though, and the whole 'Hacktivist Batman' angle is fucking awful and cringeworthy. It's a shame the car handling and physics are so poor though, considering Reflections (Driver series) are under the Ubi umbrella as well. They should have just just used the driving model from Driver: San Francisco, as they nailed it in that game.

At least they have Reflections working on it in this one.

Only thing I outright dislike is how the vehicles handle specifically the dirt bike. Thing looked like an RC car the way it was turning on a dime.

HussiZooT

I quite enjoyed my time with Watch_Dogs. Yes the graphics were dumbed down but I liked almost everything else. It was super smooth. The driving sucked ass though.

Everything I've seen of Watch_Dogs 2 has impressed me so far. So I'm really looking forward to this game and this thread is only strengthening my want for it.

I'm just glad I can properly customize the look of the protagonist. Hated having only custom outfits to choose from in the first game.

Top Bottom