• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 impressions thread:

You never are so I think we get it.

Not only positive response are allowed. The footage I have seen recently looks extremely janky and the AI look sub-par. Also I know it is a videogame, but with game being built around a present day city the fact just about every thing can be hack so easily(including all vehicles) is just too unbelievable.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Not only positive response are allowed. The footage I have seen recently looks extremely janky and the AI look sub-par. Also I know it is a videogame, but with game being built around a present day city the fact just about every thing can be hack so easily(including all vehicles) is just too unbelievable.
You're on the hype train for a game where somehow technology evolved to resemble robots but somehow the concept of a hack able society due to being too interconnected, "smart houses" where objects can be controlled via phone like lights and such is incredibly believable as a concept in an age where tattoo artists have prosthetics and uber has deployed self driving cars. And what about the footage looks janky, janky is a buzzword, is it the animations? Because they look nice, is it the player controls? Because by all means impressions on playability and controls are positive. So what about it looks janky exactly.

Permanently A

The gameplay seems fun and the comedic scenes aren't even that bad, but goddamn is it eye rolling when the protagonist starts talking about Big Brother and precrime seriously.

If reviews tell me I can remote hack and quadcopter everything and never be forced.into combat....I'm in. The precious few times you could do that in Watch Dogs were great...the rest was lame.

You're on the hype train for a game where somehow technology evolved to resemble robots but somehow the concept of a hack able society due to being too interconnected, "smart houses" where objects can be controlled via phone like lights and such is incredibly believable as a concept in an age where tattoo artists have prosthetics and uber has deployed self driving cars. And what about the footage looks janky, janky is a buzzword, is it the animations? Because they look nice, is it the player controls? Because by all means impressions on playability and controls are positive. So what about it looks janky exactly.

I'm excited for the game but come on Eden, you can't say the physics don't look unpolished as hell. Just driving the car around looks janky.

I like some aspects of this games personality. The colors, the music, but hate others like the whole "angry millenial hacktivist" route they are going with it. The one friend with the daftpunk mask made me cringe pretry hard. Though I like what we've seen of the main character so far, and he had some pretty funny interactions in some of the cut scenes and from what ubisoft have said some pretty good and relevant motivations when you consider everything thats going on. I just hope this game leans real hard into the goofy shit because the whole "fight the man and these big corporations" aspect does not appeal to me at all

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I'm excited for the game but come on Eden, you can't say the physics don't look unpolished as hell. Just driving the car around looks janky.
By all reports it feels really good. Jank to me is one of the most annoying gamer culture words since it doesn't really define the underlying issue behind a critique. It's more of a catch all thing.

Eh I'm with Eden on this one. It's easy for people on the internet to say it looks janky(whatever that means I still don't know) but we have reports from actual players saying it was greatly improved

SomTervo

I still dont understand why Aiden was hated so much, his revenge story gave the story a much needed emotional weight

Great characters are built on details. Aiden Pearce had no details. He was just broad strokes, a beige swathe of generic lines and expressions and actions.

Worse, he was not set up at all. The player wasnt really introduced to him. He just IS a master hacker, technician, soldier, driver. The sister and nephew were fine but the player never interacted with them and they had relatively little screen time.

Even worse, Pearce looked exactly like Matthew Fox.

There was just so much wrong.

This new character doesn't look great either but he looks a LOT better.

By all reports it feels really good. Jank to me is one of the most annoying gamer culture words since it doesn't really define the underlying issue behind a critique. It's more of a catch all thing.

Yeah, the term is only really excusable if it's complemented with a description of precisely what looks "janky" and how.

It looks a step better than the first iteration, but why are the streets so empty of traffic?

I know it has to be a limitation of the game engine, but for Assasins Creed Ubi really step up game content with huge crowds. Seeing the Golden Gate bridge in game with 20 cars is awkward.

Pedestrians and COPs react to murders, but a guy driving through the park at insane speeds should also be reported. A sandbox with consequences is more fun than do whatever you want that nothing will ever happen type of game.

MaLDo

Is it possible to disable the hack targets color change? Is distracting. That cursor beam is more than enough.

Yeah, the term is only really excusable if it's complemented with a description of precisely what looks "janky" and how.

We're seeing Ubisoft's policy shift of promoting their titles with actual gameplay footage instead of the highly polished, prerendeered sizzle reels that hurt their credibility.

So now we get 'jank' accusations... whatever, I like Ubisoft's new transparency and this game looks like a winner.

malfcn

I went vanilla after getting burned on WD1 season pass. Would have got Gold this time, but who knows what's included.

the change in tone from douche dark hypocrite wanna be batman to a more young people rebellion with a more light hearted tone might be exactly what the game needed.

Plus he has a newsboy/beret in one of the available outfits, and that's what I always wear.

ryseing

I went vanilla after getting burned on WD1 season pass. Would have got Gold this time, but who knows what's included.

The original game had a great season pass. Conspiracy was super fun and Bad Blood was an excellent expansion.

The lack of multiplayer footage is un-selling me on this game. Maybe Watch_Dogs 3 will compete with GTA in that regard.

As Crossing mentioned, there's plenty of MP footage out there from the last event.

Fliesen

I'm having "ubisoft withdrawal"

Since there's no mainline AC game or Farcry game releasing for christmas, i might give WD2 a fair chance.
i love ticking off those checkboxes, looking forward to platinuming this (please no multiplayer achievement)...

Trace

Banned
The lack of multiplayer footage is un-selling me on this game. Maybe Watch_Dogs 3 will compete with GTA in that regard.

What do you mean? GTA's Online portion is absolute dogshit. I'd love for real multiplayer integration in game, not just a shitty second mode.

I'm struggling with a tough decision

I have 60 bucks from my No Man's Sky return on PS4.

Do I get this game via ps4, or get it cheaper on PC? But on PC the downside is I gotta get fucking uPlay.

Great characters are built on details. Aiden Pearce had no details. He was just broad strokes, a beige swathe of generic lines and expressions and actions.

Worse, he was not set up at all. The player wasnt really introduced to him. He just IS a master hacker, technician, soldier, driver. The sister and nephew were fine but the player never interacted with them and they had relatively little screen time.

Even worse, Pearce looked exactly like Matthew Fox.

There was just so much wrong.

This new character doesn't look great either but he looks a LOT better.

New character seems worse to me. Now they're just riffing on that corny Tyler Durden/Mr Robot esque "control is an illusion maaaan, fuck the system" type

Whatever. I don't really expect great protagonists in this series now. What they really nailed the first time though was the gunplay. And some of the options you could bring to them with your hacking. Now that theyve expanded on that it's looking even better. What they also need is greater mission variety.

While I would like main characters as entertaining as gta v and sleeping dogs I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Eh I'm with Eden on this one. It's easy for people on the internet to say it looks janky(whatever that means I still don't know) but we have reports from actual players saying it was greatly improved
'jank' is a great term for describing problems that we don't understand. we aren't game developers.

Maddanth

It looks a step better than the first iteration, but why are the streets so empty of traffic?

I know it has to be a limitation of the game engine, but for Assasins Creed Ubi really step up game content with huge crowds. Seeing the Golden Gate bridge in game with 20 cars is awkward.

Pedestrians and COPs react to murders, but a guy driving through the park at insane speeds should also be reported. A sandbox with consequences is more fun than do whatever you want that nothing will ever happen type of game.
In all fairness GTA don't have the cops react to anything but murders rite? Or am I mistaken? From what I remember (it's been a couple of years since I finished the campaign) but from what I remember the cops don't come from driving through a park at insane speeds etc either rite?
The empty streets I can agree with u, hopefully that changes cuz it did look quite empty at times

That video from Ubi showing off the new features has turned me off the game completely.

The driving - 'highly responsive, skid resistant rides' and your car will hug the road even at high speeds. Who the hell thought that was what makes driving fun? That sounds like Sleeping Dogs magnetized to the road garbage driving. and *every* car has a turbo? ugh.

the world scale looks too big, empty when driving.

looks like game design by committee, which has messed up AC, Division, and WD1 in recent years.

Yeah no.

WD1 already had randoms reporting car jackin/murders/you hold a gun to police and it was annoying as fuck especially when you was on a mission.

Having to constantly evade police just you are driving fast would not be fun. This is sandbox, not a real life simulator.

As for large crowds, unity was shit. Huge crowds if people doing nothing of interest unless they were glitching out.

SomTervo

New character seems worse to me. Now they're just riffing on that corny Tyler Durden/Mr Robot esque "control is an illusion maaaan, fuck the system" type

Whatever. I don't really expect great protagonists in this series now. What they really nailed the first time though was the gunplay. And some of the options you could bring to them with your hacking. Now that theyve expanded on that it's looking even better. What they also need is greater mission variety.

While I would like main characters as entertaining as gta v and sleeping dogs I'm not gonna hold my breath.

In terms of gameplay this iteration looks so solid, yeah.

I don't know, Elliot/Tyler are totally humourless characters. I like them but they have a lot more in common with Pearce than this new guy. At least this new protag shows energy and vitality.

I just hope they handle his arc, if he has one, better.

Now just imagine if we got an AC/WD game where we could make our own character, like a proper RPG... It would be incredible. These systems would shine in a proper role-playing context.

We're seeing Ubisoft's policy shift of promoting their titles with actual gameplay footage instead of the highly polished, prerendeered sizzle reels that hurt their credibility.

So now we get 'jank' accusations... whatever, I like Ubisoft's new transparency and this game looks like a winner.

They're definitely doing a lot of things right as of the last year, as much as the Division was a bit of a loud blank.

'jank' is a great term for describing problems that we don't understand. we aren't game developers.

The problem is it becomes too broad a paint brush.

Somebody spent hundreds of hours of their life trying to get everything about one aspect of a game right then a commenter strolls in and goes "this game looks janky". What? Meaningful criticism is what matters and it will lead to more /better discussion.

The cars jerk around and snap and unsnap to the ground like magnets, stutter randomly and look as if they are sliding around on ice and the tires aren't actually gripping the road. When some dude I watched was doing a wheelie on a slow as hell vespa, he hit something and flew 50 feet in the air only to fall down and get back up like he was invincible. When trying to crush npcs or pick them up with the pallet truck the npcs don't change their stance at all but they glitch through it. Those are just some things I saw, the jankiness occurred quite frequently.

EDIT: You still get stuck in gaps that you should be able to pass through easily. Destructible objects still crumble immediately unrealistically when just tapping them with your car. The on-foot animation blending issues. I could go on.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I really hope the couch multiplayer thing where you can login as a CTOS computer on a tablet and control the cops and helicopters while someone tries to ditch their stars in the game makes a return. That mode alone sold the first game to me and my friends and we logged more hours doing that than any other multiplayer activity in the game.

Was so satisfying getting away from the cops when they are being controlled by your buddy sitting next to you!

SomTervo

The cars jerk around and snap and unsnap to the ground like magnets, stutter randomly and look as if they are sliding around on ice and the tires aren't actually gripping the road. When some dude I watched was doing a wheelie on a slow as hell vespa, he hit something and flew 50 feet in the air only to fall down and get back up like he was invincible. When trying to crush npcs or pick them up with the pallet truck the npcs don't change their stance at all but they glitch through it. Those are just some things I saw, the jankiness occurred quite frequently.

EDIT: You still get stuck in gaps that you should be able to pass through easily. Destructible objects still crumble immediately unrealistically when just tapping them with your car. The on-foot animation blending issues. I could go on.

That's more like it. Detail is appreciated.

Remember the game isn't finished and they will be tweaking this stuff literally up until the week before release.

Doesn't bode well though, considering what driving was like in W_D1.

There has never been worthwhile single-player DLC from Ubisoft.

I don't see that changing.

Trying to think of a contradictory example but... Yeah, I'm coming up blank.

IIRC some of the Splinter Cell co-op/multiplayer stuff was pretty decent?

Also Rainbow Six Siege has been fucking killing it with free updates and maps.

Graphically WD2 looks great, story/character wise... being in my 40's I think its been aimed at a totally different audience who like fist bumping and are in their late teens.

It just seems its gone from being serious, and now all of the characters are poorly written joker characters. I mean the guy with the weird electronic pop band glasses. What the hell is all that about.

I'll probably end up buying it because I buy most of the AAA open world games, but at the moment I'm not feeling positive about it.

SomTervo

Graphically WD2 looks great, story/character wise... being in my 40's I think its been aimed at a totally different audience who like fist bumping and are in their late teens.

It just seems its gone from being serious, and now all of the characters are poorly written joker characters. I mean the guy with the weird electronic pop band glasses. What the hell is all that about.

I'll probably end up buying it because I buy most of the AAA open world games, but at the moment I'm not feeling positive about it.

Don't disagree re these new characters, but the old characters were flimsy as fuck. 'Serious' gives them more credit than they were due. They were faux-serious, superficial-serious. There was nothing to them, they just talked in grim tones and acted urgent.

These new characters seem potentially irritating and unnecessarily eccentric, but at least they have tried to give them some personality. Should make things more interesting than W_D1's rubbish Hollywood thriller stylings.

The gameplay looks like it might be so fun that it outweighs any of this. Like in Just Cause 3 - literally every character is one-dimensional and annoying (except the radio broadcaster), but the gameplay is so good you're totally justified skipping all the cutscenes to get to the good stuff.

Cool. The reviews look decent. Not masterpiece, but decent.

Don't disagree re these new characters, but the old characters were flimsy as fuck. 'Serious' gives them more credit than they were due. They were faux-serious, superficial-serious. There was nothing to them, they just talked in grim tones and acted urgent.

These new characters seem potentially irritating and unnecessarily eccentric, but at least they have tried to give them some personality. Should make things more interesting than W_D1's rubbish Hollywood thriller stylings.

The gameplay looks like it might be so fun that it outweighs any of this. Like in Just Cause 3 - literally every character is one-dimensional and annoying (except the radio broadcaster), but the gameplay is so good you're totally justified skipping all the cutscenes to get to the good stuff.

True, the characters weren't particularly inspiring.

But they should have worked on that, rather than going for this crazy alternative poorly written dudebro characters. Perhaps I am just getting too old for this stuff.

I've watched quite a few videos, and the free roaming looks like it'll get pretty tiresome real quick. I'm more interested in mission variety and what the story is like, but they didn't focus on that with this round of previews.

Disxo

There isnt much change apart from co-op, but it was an interesting and fun expansion, with a story focused on friendship that always made me smile from time to time.
Raymond keeney is awesome, the addition of RC cars too.

Top Bottom