• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 impressions thread:

Looks fun. Between this and Mafia III, kinda cool to see the open world game kinda looking strong this season. I'll be picking this up -- really like the San Francisco locale and the main character seems more my pace (I hated Aiden in Watch Dogs).

SomTervo

True, the characters weren't particularly inspiring.

But they should have worked on that, rather than going for this crazy alternative poorly written dudebro characters. Perhaps I am just getting too old for this stuff.

Hopefully the writing will hold up better when we see it in context, rather than in medias res like in these videos. Like I'm hoping they do a better job of introducing this protagonist than they did Pierce.

A lot of a character's strength comes from how they're introduced. If the developers endear us to these people from the first moment we see them, it'll be much easier to swallow mediocre writing/characterisation later on (like in these videos). The GTA games are really good at this. This could offset how you feel about the characters as-is. Like imagine if an opening scene was the protagonist getting into crime while he's a teen, and it's much more serious? It would persuade you of his sincerity without dumping this eccentric crap on you immediately.

We don't know how it will play out yet. They might make it work.

The studded-jacket and mask guy, though... Not sure how they can save that one...

Mexen

I appreciate the links, OP but GAF has spoiled me to the point where I now expect some sort of quoted summaries.

The cars jerk around and snap and unsnap to the ground like magnets, stutter randomly and look as if they are sliding around on ice and the tires aren't actually gripping the road. When some dude I watched was doing a wheelie on a slow as hell vespa, he hit something and flew 50 feet in the air only to fall down and get back up like he was invincible. When trying to crush npcs or pick them up with the pallet truck the npcs don't change their stance at all but they glitch through it. Those are just some things I saw, the jankiness occurred quite frequently.

EDIT: You still get stuck in gaps that you should be able to pass through easily. Destructible objects still crumble immediately unrealistically when just tapping them with your car. The on-foot animation blending issues. I could go on.

yeah that gameplay video giant bomb posted with dan and jeff looked terrible. I'd take a map half the size if they could focus on whatever issues end up yielding stuff like the vespa and the pallet truck stuff. Statements like "You can hack every NPC and car in the game" read to me as "we couldn't think of anything fun, so you figure it out" these days. I was excited for Mafia 3 but the combat & driving videos look bad as well.

No problem waiting for final reviews.

Jhn

Is stopping random crimes not a thing anymore? It feels more like you're a criminal than a vigilante.

usp84

November is coming, so what to play first, Watch Dogs 2 or Dishonored?

Glad that opinions are positive.

Damn I just saw that dishonored 2 is November 11 and Watch Dogs November 15.I thought Dishonored was In October.

I guess I will get WD 2 at the end of the month if it turns out good

Lylo

Seems very promising, i bought it on the Origin store with 50% discount, i never pre-order games, but seemed a very good deal. Watching the previews makes me more confortable with my purchase.

SenkiDala

Well... Sometimes previews/reviews are weird. On Watch Dogs all previews soooo positive, the game of the year without any problem, a true master piece. The game comes out: the game received very good reviews and after like... 1 or 2 months everybody was saying that the game was a piece of trash, even the people who gave 9/10 to the game, and adding "hey we told you so!"... Waaaat?!

It happens to a lot of games those years... Often on Ubisoft games.

Oni Jazar

Well... Sometimes previews/reviews are weird. On Watch Dogs all previews soooo positive, the game of the year without any problem, a true master piece. The game comes out: the game received very good reviews and after like... 1 or 2 months everybody was saying that the game was a piece of trash, even the people who gave 9/10 to the game, and adding "hey we told you so!"... Waaaat?!

It happens to a lot of games those years... Often on Ubisoft games.

Watch Dogs was great what 'chu talkin bout willis.

Lazlo

yeah that gameplay video giant bomb posted with dan and jeff looked terrible. I'd take a map half the size if they could focus on whatever issues end up yielding stuff like the vespa and the pallet truck stuff. Statements like "You can hack every NPC and car in the game" read to me as "we couldn't think of anything fun, so you figure it out" these days. I was excited for Mafia 3 but the combat & driving videos look bad as well.

No problem waiting for final reviews.

There's an interesting balance to be had between making all cars have nitrous to add another fun "toy" to your sandbox of game mechanics or saying no, we'll keep things realistic and not having that feature to make the world more legitimate but at the potential cost of some fun gameplay moments. To me the mindset here is somewhat like MGSV - look at all this cool realistic (for the most part) military tech... but my horse's poop can make a vehicle spin off the road.

Blam

All I've seen so far is turning good for this game. Except that one time where they showed the preview on a "PS4". To a group of people, yet the PS4 was not even on.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Looks much better than WD1, but for whatever reason it's still not doing anything for me.

There's an interesting balance to be had between making all cars have nitrous to add another fun "toy" to your sandbox of game mechanics or saying no, we'll keep things realistic and not having that feature to make the world more legitimate but at the potential cost of some fun gameplay moments. To me the mindset here is somewhat like MGSV - look at all this cool realistic (for the most part) military tech... but my horse's poop can make a vehicle spin off the road.

I wonder if this is something you unlock in a skill tree rather than a feature of every car you hack (like in the first game?)

If it's something you can spec into you also have the option of keeping things 'realistic'.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The cars jerk around and snap and unsnap to the ground like magnets, stutter randomly and look as if they are sliding around on ice and the tires aren't actually gripping the road. When some dude I watched was doing a wheelie on a slow as hell vespa, he hit something and flew 50 feet in the air only to fall down and get back up like he was invincible. When trying to crush npcs or pick them up with the pallet truck the npcs don't change their stance at all but they glitch through it. Those are just some things I saw, the jankiness occurred quite frequently.

EDIT: You still get stuck in gaps that you should be able to pass through easily. Destructible objects still crumble immediately unrealistically when just tapping them with your car. The on-foot animation blending issues. I could go on.
Should be noted this is still an older build but thanks for actually using detail.

Nico_D

Well, seems quite generic and unoriginal open-world shooter, driver, parkourer to me. If it gets great reviews, then I'll consider it.

Lazlo

I wonder if this is something you unlock in a skill tree rather than a feature of every car you hack (like in the first game?)

If it's something you can spec into you also have the option of keeping things 'realistic'.

Most likely a character skill / unlock but Ubisoft games aren't targeted at specializing in a single skill tree so even if you don't value it at all and get every other skill you'll most likely end up with enough points to unlock it come "end game".

Think of it like AC: Liberty - you could do all the driving upgrades first if you really wanted or you could buff your followers / increase cash flow etc.

jon_dojah

Banned
As some one who is born and lives in SF and was looking forward to this I'm disappointed in some of the accuracy. I pass by Ubisoft offices everyday and would think they of all people would get it down to how I want it. Maybe it would take a Rockstar with San Fierro or Sleeping Dogs dev to make a more legit SF with more peds, and busier streets. I know they did it for the purpose of "videogames" but the streets are too wide. We're known for some of the skinniest streets in America and its not reflected in the footage I've seen.

Still holding out for more promising coverage.

ekim

As some one who is born and lives in SF and was looking forward to this I'm disappointed in some of the accuracy. I pass by Ubisoft offices everyday and would think they of all people would get it down to how I want it. Maybe it would take a Rockstar with San Fierro or Sleeping Dogs dev to make a more legit SF with more peds, and busier streets. I know they did it for the purpose of "videogames" but the streets are too wide. We're known for some of the skinniest streets in America and its not reflected in the footage I've seen.

Still holding out for more promising coverage.

I was in SF for 6 weeks twice in the last 2 years and I think it's pretty accurate for the part I had my apartment in. (Financial right at Embarcadero)
I just hope the golden gate park is in and Bernal Heights.

jon_dojah

Banned
I was in SF for 6 weeks twice in the last 2 years and I think it's pretty accurate for the part I had my apartment in. (Financial right at Embarcadero)
I just hope the golden gate park is in and Bernal Heights.

Both my parents and my grandparents are from Bernal Heights and I inherited property there. I pretty much grew up there half my life and it has some of the most claustrophopic streets in SF. I hope they get the feel of it and the Mission down.

I just saw a bit more footage now and I saw some project housing that looks pretty accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n4GJeYtab0

Feeling a bit better about it now and will most likely get this game for the simple fact I haven't touched a game with a nice feeling SF since GTA: San Andreas and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4.

ekim

Both my parents and my grandparents are from Bernal Heights and I inherited property there. I pretty much grew up there half my life and it has some of the most claustrophopic streets in SF. I hope they get the feel of it and the Mission down.

I just saw a bit more footage now and I saw some project housing that looks pretty accurate. Feeling a bit better about it now and will most likely get this game for the simple fact I haven't touched a game with a nice feeling SF since GTA: San Andreas and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4.

Haha. I climbed that view point in bernal heights by foot. I wouldn't want to drive up there (at least not without automatic shifting). But it's a really nice neighborhood around the hill. (Forgot its name if it even has one)

jon_dojah

Banned
Its funny how some streets are merged kind of how The Division did it. American Grill Cheese is on 2nd Street (next to Gamespot/Giantbomb) and Ubisoft is on 3rd Street in real life but in the game they are on the same street.

ekim

Its funny how some streets are merged kind of how The Division did it. American Grill Cheese is on 2nd Street (next to Gamespot/Giantbomb) and Ubisoft is on 3rd Street in real life but in the game they are on the same street.

GS and GB are located in SF? I've only seen the Ubi office and funnily enough I was in SF in 2009 where my companies offices were located in the Sega building. I was quite surprised when my colleagues told me the casual name of the building I was in. (Was near the train station)

jon_dojah

Banned
GS and GB are located in SF? I've only seen the Ubi office and funnily enough I was in SF in 2009 where my companies offices were located in the Sega building. I was quite surprised when my colleagues told me the casual name of the building I was in. (Was near the train station)

Yes they are. Doublefine Studios is 2 blocks away near 4th street. I go to the Bank of America next door and once saw Tim Schaffer walking by as I left the ATM. Sega WAS on Townsend about a few blocks from there but they moved to LA just recently after many many years of being in SF. :(

Also IGN and what was once 1Up are all in the same area within a couple blocks.

ekim

Yes they are. Doublefine Studios is 2 blocks away near 4th street. I go to the Bank of America next door and once saw Tim Schaffer walking by as I left the ATM. Sega WAS on Townsend about a few blocks from there but they moved to LA just recently after many many years of being in SF. :(

Also IGN and what was once 1Up are all in the same area within a couple blocks.

I didn't even know. I know that a lot of the really big fishes are in SF and the area around it but nothing that much gaming related.

By the way a honest question: when I was there I was so afraid of earth quakes that I panicked every time a big truck crossed the bay bridge. (Apartment was right next to it) How do you cope with that potential danger?

Edit: I really really hope Sausalito is in the game :eek:

Voras

I'm cautiously optimistic, I liked parts of what the first game did but it still kind of fell flat for me as a whole. I'm hoping that the new city, new protagonist, and another shot at improving the formula will work out this time.

jon_dojah

Banned
I didn't even know. I know that a lot of the really big fishes are in SF and the area around it but nothing that much gaming related.

By the way a honest question: when I was there I was so afraid of earth quakes that I panicked every time a big truck crossed the bay bridge. (Apartment was right next to it) How do you cope with that potential danger?

Edit: I really really hope Sausalito is in the game :eek:

I lived through the big 1989 earthquake whenI was 11 years old. I was at my grandma's house in Bernal Heights playing Zelda II when it happened. We were in Death Mountain and hadn't saved so we lost power and progress up to that point. My cousin who had the controller in his hand got under a table that had a bad leg. The table fell on him and me and brother laughed.

The way it felt I had no idea that it caused so much damage in the city until I was able to watch the news since I was too young to venture out and see the craziness first hand. Some parts of SF shook more than others but places like Bernal Heights were least affected since its built on a mountain (also why Bernal Height property is so expensive). Had I actually been at my parents home that day where I currently live it would have been worse since my home is built on landfill near the edge of SF. Just depends where you were during an earthquake. I'm sure being high up in a tall building would be frightening but luckily never been in that situation.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I appreciate the links, OP but GAF has spoiled me to the point where I now expect some sort of quoted summaries.
Please excuse, I was in Canada at the time of posting and the wifi wasn't very good.

ekim

I lived through the big 1989 earthquake whenI was 11 years old. I was at my grandma's house in Bernal Heights playing Zelda II when it happened. We were in Death Mountain and hadn't saved so we lost power and progress up to that point. My cousin who had the controller in his hand got under a table that had a bad leg. The table fell on him and me and brother laughed.

The way it felt I had no idea that it caused so much damage in the city until I was able to watch the news since I was too young to venture out and see the craziness first hand. Some parts of SF shook more than others but places like Bernal Heights were least affected since its built on a mountain (also why Bernal Height property is so expensive). Had I actually been at my parents home that day where I currently live it would have been worse since my home is built on landfill near the edge of SF. Just depends where you were during an earthquake. I'm sure being high up in a tall building would be frightening but luckily never been in that situation.

Most of the modern buildings are built earthquake safe anyways, right?

Damerman

November is coming, so what to play first, Watch Dogs 2 or Dishonored?

Glad that opinions are positive.

i'm leaning towards dishonored since i played the first and enjoyed it. avoided watch dogs like the plague until i watched a full walkthrough recently, boy was i glad i skipped that game.

Never bet on Ubisoft.

this is a safe bet. but i'm not gonna lie, Watch dogs 2 strikes me as very cyberpunkish... and i'm craving the hell out of a cyberpunk experience.

This overview has some nice stuff I didn't know about - I particularly like being able to swipe traffic out of your path by quick-hacking them from your vehicle and pitting criminal gangs against each other.

The whole package sounds better and better.

Top Bottom