• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police kill unarmed black man in California.

Status
Not open for further replies.

appaws

Banned
Very sad that people with severe mental issues often have no access to help that they need.

In this case it seems that the cops were justified in their actions. Sad all around though. I pray he finds the peace with the lord he could not find in life.

AYF 001

Sorry but that is insane. It is not a police officer's job to take a bullet and die. And again, "no signs of aggression" - either you didn't read the article or are being purposefully obtuse. Someone who has been reported as behaving very off and has his hands in his pockets and refuses to cooperate is a threat, end of story. A civilian life is not worth more than a police officer's life.

Because if you take this very same situation but have the suspect actually be armed the result would be two dead police officers.

Jesus do people actually think this? That cops should let people shoot them? What the fuck?
You guys realize that if soldiers in war zones aren't allowed to fire unless fired upon? Yet these police who should have every advantage in terms of training, equipment, and information on the situation are allowed to use lethal force at their own discretion whenever they feel unsafe?

As for "letting people shoot them", how often do these suspects either have guns legally, or not have a gun at all? A significant number of officers are killed by their own weapons when someone takes it from them, yet the NRA opposes smart guns that would deactivate when not held by a user with the RFID ring. And yes, I do believe that an officer should be prepared to lay down their life in service at any moment, because "protect and serve" doesn't say "except suspects or convicts".

Mega

Banned
The fuck are you talking about. Of course you can train out instincts. That's the point of training. I mean sure, it's never going to be 100%, but you can definitely reduce instincts taking control. Firefighters, police officers, and military personnel all do it.

The fuck are you talking about?

Preservation of one's life is still a top priority. I have never heard of any training where a police or military just idles or reacts passively while an uncooperative and erratic person makes the sudden movement to shoot and kill him.

Why is this even a point of contention? Are there really armchair experts ITT saying they would react differently knowing they have a split second before a person literally motions to blow your head off with a firearm?

Very sad that people with severe mental issues often have no access to help that they need.

In this case it seems that the cops were justified in their actions. Sad all around though. I pray he finds the peace with the lord he could not find in life.

This pretty much summarizes it.

Police shouldn't be dealing with the mentally disabled.

But of course, the US can't think or finance an alternative.

You can thank conservatives from the '80s onward for that. Gotta move that funding into the column for our forty-year plus failed drug war and extra-special targeting of minorities.

Dalibor68

Banned
You guys realize that if soldiers in war zones aren't allowed to fire unless fired upon? Yet these police who should have every advantage in terms of training, equipment, and information on the situation are allowed to use lethal force at their own discretion whenever they feel unsafe?

The military has zero to do with this. And this is basically a textbook example of a) suicide by cop b) justified putative self-defence.

As for "letting people shoot them", how often do these suspects either have guns legally, or not have a gun at all? A significant number of officers are killed by their own weapons when someone takes it from them, yet the NRA opposes smart guns that would deactivate when not held by a user with the RFID ring. And yes, I do believe that an officer should be prepared to lay down their life in service at any moment, because "protect and serve" doesn't say "except suspects or convicts".

Then you are confused. Protect & Serve does not mean letting suspects shoot you because afterall they might just act like they have a gun or have a BB gun.

RDreamer

Add to some of this that because officers are armed and seem to treat things the way they do, they put themselves in rather precarious positions that then lead to the danger with no other options but to shoot. The one big example I keep coming to is that mentally challenged man that his wife or mother called the police on because he wouldn't go to the doctor and the cops stood literally right on his porch, trapped by cars and everything.

In this case, too, the officer got close literally because if something happens they could shoot him. If this is a possibly dangerous and erratic person then there are solutions to keep officers out of firing range and training that should be implemented before something like this happens.

Beartruck

Jesus. Description of the incident sounds like suicide by cop. Damn the officers for being trigger happy and damn our pitiful mental health system.

RDreamer

The fuck are you talking about?

Preservation of one's life is still a top priority. I have never heard of any training where a police or military just idles or reacts passively while an uncooperative and erratic person makes the sudden movement to shoot and kill him.

Why is this even a point of contention? Are there really armchair experts ITT saying they would react differently knowing they have a split second before a person literally motions to blow your head off with a firearm?

I'm not a fucking armchair expert saying that I would react differently, because I'm not trained.

How do cops in countries without guns do things like this?

I also just love how we expect civilians to react rationally when there are guns pointed at them and cops possibly screaming, yet we don't expect trained police officers to act like calm and rationally.

I'm siding with the police on this one. He refused to listen to their orders, then deliberately made a shooting gesture holding an item while the police had their weapons drawn. There's no reason for the police to believe that he's trying to do anything but shoot them, and hesitating in that scenario is how you get killed.

This isn't a case where police are just killing black people at random as much as the topic title would want to imply. To be honest, the constant inflammatory headlines is really annoying and takes away from the discussion of the actual issue of police violence in america.

Ekai

Yet another incident that goes to show that cops are nothing more than an organized gang. And they're adored for it by right-wing America. Protected even. : /

No, that's a worldwide thing actually.

I'd love to hear more, but I cannot find solid info on that. I'm going by American police involved in the deaths of unarmed people, something that doesn't seem to register on the same level among our peers. Gun ownership certainly is a factor to consider, but the rates of deadly shootings by our police forces are way out of whack.

Annual fatal police shootings per million residents. Data are based on most recent available. US: 2014; France: 1995-2000; Denmark: 1996-2006; Portugal: 1995-2005; Sweden: 1996-2006; Netherlands: 2013-2014; Norway: 1996-2006; Germany: 2012; Finland: 1996-2006; England & Wales: 2014.
By contrast, national standards in most European countries conform to the European Convention on Human Rights, which impels its 47 signatories to permit only deadly force that is “absolutely necessary” to achieve a lawful purpose. Killings excused under America’s “reasonable belief” standards often violate Europe’s “absolute necessity” standards.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Yet another incident that goes to show that cops are nothing more than an organized gang. And they're adored for it by right-wing America. Protected even. : /

I don't fing get it! Did you read the OP at all or see the picture that was taken before the shooting occurred?!

Beefy

Mega

Banned
I'm not a fucking armchair expert saying that I would react differently, because I'm not trained.

I also just love how we expect civilians to react rationally when there are guns pointed at them and cops possibly screaming, yet we don't expect trained police officers to act like calm and rationally.

Good to know you're not a fucking expert. Calm down.

Cops in countries without guns deal with a populace that isn't armed. The US has a gun problem and an overabundance of firearms. That's why the trained officers were behaving with caution. It was an unfortunate situation all around.

I don't expect a civilian to follow a textbook procedure in a stressful situation with police, but come on. Pretending to have a gun in your pocket, pulling it out and aiming to fire it... those are the willful actions of a suicidal person.

Dalibor68

Banned
Oh please. Race obviously played a factor here. Cops take down far more dangerous white men who are committing crimes all the time without killing them.

Some anecdotes of white suspects not getting shot (by sources like "usuncut.com") are not incredible evidence for what you are claiming. In this specific incident there are zero signs pointing to race playing any role.

UK use rubber bullets when dealing with suicide by cop situations.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gunman-threatened-police-rifle-effort-6743070

Guy last year held up a gun and said he would shoot. But he survived, as they shot him with rubber bullets.

Robert Rogers had lured officers to his remote Northumberland home by making a 999 call saying he was going to put a bullet in his partner's head.

That does not seem like a comparable situation. Aside from that the cops in this threads' incident WERE trying to take him down non-lethally with a Taser first.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.

You can't compare the 2 situations at all. I thought we wanted police less militarized, not more... to have a shoot 2nd approach would mean we'd have to have completely militarized police.

No thanks.

Future

Not sure what people think they'd do in his situation. Man pointed something that could look like a gun right at police. This is when you expect someone to get shot

Only way to avoid it is if the cops went in there blazing with non lethal weapons the moment they realize something is "off." This ain't law and order where police will risk a gun pointed directly at them as they attempt to talk the suspect down. They have little information about this person

Oh please. Race obviously played a factor here. Cops take down far more dangerous white men who are committing crimes all the time without killing them.

What's "far more dangerous" than someone pointing what appears to be a gun at you after you ignoring your orders? Or do you believe the police should request that they examine a subject's weapon before determining the correct course of action?

As far as I can tell, there aren't a whole lot of situations a police officer can find themselves in than staring down a firearm.

This is like the police pulling someone over for driving 90 in a 25 zone and you saying they only got a ticket because they were black.

Sounds like suicide by cop, but they should have been able to easily subdue him with a taser long enough to get the man on the ground.

Nope, it's just easier to kill people with mental illnesses. I shouldn't expect anything different since those cops killed a man running around naked last year.

+Aliken+

Ban guns.

At the moment every police officer when confronted with a dangerous
situation will immediately assume the other person has a gun.
As a result he/she will think "Well it's either me or him"

What would be your pick if you were the police officer?

Sounds like suicide by cop, but they should have been able to easily subdue him with a taser long enough to get the man on the ground.

Nope, it's just easier to kill people with mental illnesses. I shouldn't expect anything different since those cops killed a man running around naked last year.

You can still shoot someone after being tazed. You're not totally paralyzed.

Dalibor68

Banned

I stopped counting, but still: Read the report. They were about to taser him.

Beefy

That does not seem like a comparable situation. Aside from that the cops in this threads' incident WERE trying to take him down non-lethally with a Taser first.

You said it was a worldwide thing, when it isn't. There was even a guy who was charging cops with a machete that didn't get killed here. In the US he more then likely would have been killed. This is all about police training.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned

Things the person did before he was shot that has nothing to do with race

1. Paced back and froth while the cops gave him to remove his hand from his pockets.

2. Failing to comply with the orders police point their weapons at the man.

3. Person rapidly remove his hands from his pockets and extends the quickly towards the officers while taking a stance.

This looks like suicide by cops to me. If anyone did that regardless of race I bet they will get shot.

Dalibor68

Banned
You said it was a worldwide thing, when it isn't. There was even a guy who was charging cops with a machete that didn't get killed here. In the US he more then likely would have been killed. This is all about police training.

Literally not even 24h ago: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37494255

These are all anecdotes. They don't mean shit either way. There are millions of guns in the US so naturally there will be more people drawing guns on police officers thus there being more police shooting incidents. If you storm at police with a knife in europe in most cases you will get shot as well.

Guns aren't a consistent threat in other countries. Martial arts training + numbers vs crazy guy = no deaths and hopefully minor injuries.

In the US, that equation becomes: Martial arts training + numbers vs crazy guy + gun = potential police and civilian casualties.

It's really easy to point to other countries and see where they are able to succeed, but the difference in cultures is subtle - and still, extremely significant, when talking about policing.

I didn't see your edit before you made it and from what I can tell first "usuncut.com" doesn't exactly sound unbiased and second those are anecdotes.

Do I really have to parse through the link I provided you and strip out all the links they provided to legit news sites that kinda indicate they're not just anecdotes? Fine, let's play this silly game:

http://www.wfmj.com/story/27753282/...er-pointing-gun-at-new-castle-police-officers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQwlfXdDDYA&feature=youtu.be

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/05/o...rivilege-of-arrest-without-incident.html?_r=1

http://www.rawstory.com/2014/12/two...-bb-gun-arent-shot-by-police-for-some-reason/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...eath-of-john-crawford/?utm_term=.bdaa076d40bd

http://www.wmur.com/news/police-man-arrested-after-shooting-bb-gun-at-officers/28219706

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/17/joseph-houseman-open-carry_n_5501883.html

There will also be similar anecdotes for black suspects. So unless you can present a statistic that shows police standoffs with white suspects end with targets shot unproportionally less often than with black suspects, I'm afraid that is just conjecture and emotional appeal.

According to the most recent census data, there are nearly 160 million more white people in America than there are black people. White people make up roughly 62 percent of the U.S. population but only about 49 percent of those who are killed by police officers. African Americans, however, account for 24 percent of those fatally shot and killed by the police despite being just 13 percent of the U.S. population. As The Post noted in a new analysis published last week, that means black Americans are 2.5 times as likely as white Americans to be shot and killed by police officers.

U.S. police officers have shot and killed the exact same number of unarmed white people as they have unarmed black people: 50 each. But because the white population is approximately five times larger than the black population, that means unarmed black Americans were five times as likely as unarmed white Americans to be shot and killed by a police officer.

Police kill Blacks at a statistically disproportionate rate. Period. This is across the board so obvious it includes standoff incidents as well as everything else. If you refuse to recognize this you're either ignorant, or a racist. Pick one.

Tecnniqe

Banned

5369144-8148327461-Colin.gif

AYF 001

The military has zero to do with this. And this is basically a textbook example of a) suicide by cop b) justified putative self-defence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-with-an-unloaded-gun/?utm_term=.df6ac8d38d24

Someone with actual military training was able to avoid using violence, and they are punished as a result. There was a GAF thread on this as well.

Then you are confused. Protect & Serve does not mean letting suspects shoot you because afterall they might just act like they have a gun or have a BB gun.
What confuses me is why citizens of our own country are dealt with more harshly than civilians and insurgents in occupied territory.

I'm mobile right now so I can't find the link easily, but someone here mentioned before that if our soldiers acted the way our cops do, they would be guilty of war crimes.
Add to some of this that because officers are armed and seem to treat things the way they do, they put themselves in rather precarious positions that then lead to the danger with no other options but to shoot. The one big example I keep coming to is that mentally challenged man that his wife or mother called the police on because he wouldn't go to the doctor and the cops stood literally right on his porch, trapped by cars and everything.

In this case, too, the officer got close literally because if something happens they could shoot him. If this is a possibly dangerous and erratic person then there are solutions to keep officers out of firing range and training that should be implemented before something like this happens.
I mentioned that more in my post on the last page. Officers unnecessary escalate situations to the point of lethal confrontation because they often lack proper training, then use said lack of training as an excuse for having no other option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom