• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROPALOOZA confirms NX to be a hybrid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peterc

RETROPALOOZA confirms NX to be a hybrid?

"I've talked to two people who have used it. One is from Ubisoft and he said programming for it is actually really nice and Nintendo is working very closely with him and that the concept is great because he said, you could play... Uh, I dunno how careful I should be with it... Let's say you could play Assassin's Creed once you have your handheld plugged into your console. And then, you could then detach the thing and take it with you and play the Assassin's Creed mobile game out of your pocket. And then when you get back home, plug it directly in and now it attaches back to the... That's brilliant. That's smart, right? Taking a form of the game with you as you go. So he says it's a dream to code for. And then somebody I know who's played on the NX for 20 minutes said... It's as innovative as they'd hoped and 'we wish we had done that.'"

via:https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX/comments/55xu1l/did_boogie2988_just_drop_a_huge_nx_bomb/

Check the first few minutes
https://youtu.be/krK3t34dyKo?t=1987

Additional;Some websites are thinking they will likely announce it on 21oct.
http://squishturtle.com/nintendo-likely-to-reveal-nx-on-october-21/

close if not legit : /

Neoxon

Nintendo, just reveal the damn thing, already.

Also, isn't the rumored NX size a bit too big to fit in most pockets?

Another day, another thread.

And I thought people were generally in agreement in the Financial Briefing thread not to make a new thread on this?

oni-link

Sounds like you can't play all the games on the handheld and the TV, he makes it sound like some games will be TV only, which is a little disappointing

Edit: I expected all games would work on both, but the handheld versions would run at a lower resolution or with fewer bells and whistles

Edit 2: And because Nintendo are Nintendo I bet some of the handheld games won't work on the TV

Peterc

And I thought people were generally in agreement in the Financial Briefing thread not to make a new thread on this?

I have searched first on other threads, but can't find any NX threads, thats why i created the new one.
I missed the Financial Briefing thread : /

BY2K

Membero Americo
And then, you could then detach the thing and take it with you and play the Assassin's Creed mobile game out of your pocket.

That doesn't fit, unless it's a poor choice of words.

Hmm he makes it sound like you play a console version of the game when it's docked and then a mobile variation of the game when it's portable. Kinda like two games in one.

yoonshik

"I've talked to two people who have used it. One is from Ubisoft and he said programming for it is actually really nice and Nintendo is working very closely with him and that the concept is great because he said, you could play... Uh, I dunno how careful I should be with it... Let's say you could play Assassin's Creed once you have your handheld plugged into your console. And then, you could then detach the thing and take it with you and play the Assassin's Creed mobile game out of your pocket. And then when you get back home, plug it directly in and now it attaches back to the... That's brilliant. That's smart, right? Taking a form of the game with you as you go. So he says it's a dream to code for. And then somebody I know who's played on the NX for 20 minutes said... It's as innovative as they'd hoped and 'we wish we had done that.'"
That's not clever if they want to sell this thing to the handheld crowd.

Bazry

Agreed in a thread that quite clearly states in the OP don't discuss rumors or use it as a general NX discussion one

Ok this makes it sound like there will be two versions of the game. So like VMU's for dreamcast but on a larger scale. Dunno if I'm happy with that.

Always thought it would be a seemless transition(besides performance) when going docked to undocked..

Anyways, I'll reserve final judgement for when this thing gets revealed (if ever).

Orbis

"Assassin's Creed mobile"
"Taking a form of the game"
Please no
Could just be the wording. It wouldn't make total sense to have completely different version of the game given that he also mentions it's a dream to code for. Having two versions does not sound like a dream to code for. I would guess it's a simple as running at a lower res/lower assets for the sake of lower power consumption and for a lower res screen.

Mithos

Hmm he makes it sound like you play a console version of the game when it's docked and then a mobile variation of the game when it's portable. Kinda like two games in one.

Or like...

Game X on:
i7 5Ghz, 32GB ram, GTX SLI-1080 .vs. i5 2.8Ghz 8Gb ram, GTX 660Ti

Same game just lower settings when in portable mode compared to docked mode.

Haganeren

Sounds like you can't play all the games on the handheld and the TV, he makes it sound like some games will be TV only, which is a little disappointing

I hope it's the case thought, that would mean some game can be made with the idea of using 100% of the power of the console at all time instead of having the "handlet mode" to keep in mind.

ggx2ac

I just read the squish turtle article now. So basically ibtimes or some publication published an article saying NX would be revealed on the 21st of October because of Squish turtle citing it as a source.

When you read squish turtle the guy wrote 21st of October based on speculation that it would happen because of the anniversary of the first Nintendo direct. lol

Calm Mind

Free advertising? From YouTubers?

cfe1e187cd5703d9d1513ae24937b4839e3a7f1c97972667f576b79a1b2874a6.jpg

bomblord1

Banned
So does this confirm the games will be scaled back a bit on mobile and the dock at least OC's/unconstrains the hardware (assuming true)?

Wouldn't it have to be a 'form' of the game in this kind of scenario? Even if you just think of UI concerns going from a small portable screen to a big screen, unless games have two different UI 'modes', or the developers design for the portable screen and just roll with the large UI on the TV.

Why does it matter what others think? If it feels like news, then why can't it get a thread?

Oh I'm not complaining. The more the merrier with NX speculation threads :p

Please reveal it Nintendo I can't take many more notifications of threads with NX in the title that aren't the announcement.

Or like...

Game X on:
i7 5Ghz, 32GB ram, GTX SLI-1080 .vs. i5 2.8Ghz 8Gb ram, GTX 660Ti

Same game just lower settings when in portable mode compared to docked mode.

This is my hope. PC devs have a lot of experience developing for multiple spec levels like this.

oni-link

I hope it's the case thought, that would mean some game can be made with the idea of using 100% of the power of the console at all time instead of having the "handlet mode" to keep in mind.

While I can see your point, I still think the point of it being a hybrid would be reduced if they still segregated "handheld games" and "consoles games"

I'd much rather they target the bigger games so they work amazingly well on the TV then run ok on the handheld, and they make the handheld games look good on the handheld, but like HD remakes on the TV (If that makes sense)

awful if true, the USP of a "hybrid" should be the ability to take your full games on the go, not lock some games in to the TV and get shitty mobile offerings on the go.

Pretty much this

jonno394

awful if true, the USP of a "hybrid" should be the ability to take your full games on the go, not lock some games in to the TV and get shitty mobile offerings on the go.

The interesting thing is that it may not just be a straight "play the same game on your couch or on the go" type thing.

I was hoping developers would be a bit more creative than that and develop games with different systems within it. Think Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast with Chu Chu farming when you took the memory card with you.

So like 3D World when it's plugged in and then smaller Captain Toad type levels on the go and somehow they both interact with one another, open up new paths or whatever.

I see this as a positive. It would account for the obvious design differences between handheld and console games.

Nobody cares about pockets anymore. We live in the phablet era.

Yeah, I do find it funny that we talk/think about handhelds this way, when there are more handhelds that don't fit into pockets than do. Game Boy, Game Gear, Lynx, Turbo G, Vita... and a few others couldn't fit into standard pockets, even during an era where we didn't have large mobile phones.

meppi

Oh, it's Boogie? Sure I'll believe him.
He's one of the few that wouldn't bullshit about something like this if you ask me.

Also October 21st certainly makes a lot of sense if only from a historical standpoint when it comes to Nintendo.
No idea if it'll happen, but this is one rumour I'm actually am willing to believe.

jonno394

The interesting thing is that it may not just be a straight "play the same game on your couch or on the go" type thing.

I was hoping developers would be a bit more creative than that and develop games with different systems within it. Think Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast with Chu Chu farming when you took the memory card with you.

So like 3D World when it's plugged in and then smaller Captain Toad type levels on the go and somehow they both interact with one another, open up new paths or whatever.

I see this as a positive.

I'd much prefer to not be told that I can't play 3D world on the go.

ggx2ac

Uh, I dunno how careful I should be with it... Let's say you could play Assassin's Creed once you have your handheld plugged into your console. And then, you could then detach the thing and take it with you and play the Assassin's Creed mobile game out of your pocket. And then when you get back home, plug it directly in and now it attaches back to the... That's brilliant. That's smart, right? Taking a form of the game with you as you go.

The worst part reading this is he tried to come up with a scenario to explain this and it just sounds awful.

Unless the dock is going to have a GPU in it, there's no reason to have "a part" of the game only for the handheld. It should be able to play the same game regardless of it being docked or not.

muteki

A form of the game sounds horrible.

Expecting developers to put in extra effort for a portable side-feature won't happen, as remote play has shown.

liquidtmd

Banned

I see this as a positive.

It pretty much screws over multiplatform ports without devs begrudgingly adding shitty mini games though

Oh, it's Boogie? Sure I'll believe him.
He's one of the few that wouldn't bullshit about something like this if you ask me.

Also October 21st certainly makes a lot of sense if only from a historical standpoint when it comes to Nintendo.
No idea if it'll happen, but this is one rumour I'm actually am willing to believe.

Good to see someone else say Boogie wouldn't make this stuff up.

With all these rumors, does anyone still doubt that it's a hybrid?
Yeah, there's people who doubt it.

This is my hope. PC devs have a lot of experience developing for multiple spec levels like this.
I feel like this is what he meant to say, but said it incorrectly.

Baleoce

Not sure how I'd feel about two completely different versions of a game depending on the mode, I'm not necessarily going to want to go away from the console and play a mobile version or some other variation more suited to a handheld environment. I'm hoping it's more the case of the games scaling depending on the mode. I think that's something that's doable, and that developers can feasibly work towards if the architecture allows it, and they know exactly what those multiple optimisation targets are.

True Fire

My biggest hope is that NX has multiple screen compatibility, kind of like a video game version of Chromecast.

The Wii U's biggest flaw was its controller limitation

virtualS

Sounds like a Tegra powered handheld that docs with a GeForce powered SCD at home for PS4 like performance with immediate scaling between both the mobile and docked incarnations of the same game.

Make it so Nintendo.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What's up, Ladies and Gentlemen of NeoGAF. This is another NX rumour coming atchu live from the power of the Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom