• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROPALOOZA confirms NX to be a hybrid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Lump

Banned
The concept is solid.

At this point I'm only really worried about the aesthetics of the device itself. I really hope this doesn't end up as another Fisher Price-looking plastic monstrosity. If they can nail the look and the build quality, its half the battle in terms of convincing early adopters.

Kouriozan

"It's a dream to code for" then proceed to have little 3rd party support.
Sorry I'm not falling for it again, like the Wii/Wii U's famous "we'd have to make new games using the consoles new gimmicks"

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
The wording is a bit worrisome, but if it somehow switched from a "full-fledged game" when plugged in to a different "mobile game," it would kind of fly in the face of the "easy to program" comments.
Hopefully it means what most of us had already been suspecting: higher quality res/assets when plugged in, and lower quality when on the go.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Making two versions of the same game for the same system completely misses the point of the NX being a console you can plug on the TV and take on the go.

It has to be bad wording on Boogie's part.

Calm Mind

Making two versions of the same game for the same system completely misses the point of the NX being a console you can plug on the TV and take on the go.

It has to be bad wording on Boogie's part.

He was pretty resolute with his wording. He even reiterated it in a separate video on his own channel.

_Ryo_

does nintendo expect third parties to make, in essence, two games for a ecosystem they've historically abandoned?

Well, Square Enix are making two versions of Dragon Quest XI for 3DS. A full 3D version and a full sprite work version. And up to a certain point you can play both at once. But still, they're essentially two fully separate games.

Dragon-Quest-XI_2015_08-12-15_006.jpg

l wonder if NX games will be similar? There will be the handheld game and the console game? Will Dragon Quest XI NX console version be a port of the PS4 version and the handheld game be a port of the 3DS version? But to do that you will need massive storage capacity for the cards. Also that would mean there would definitely be console and handheld exclusive games. But everyone would have the handheld and console already so they dont have to buy a new system.

I think the biggest problem with this, apart from storage, is that developers would program to the lowest common denominator which would mean NX would get more handheld or mobile like games than console level games and games where console versions are just higher resolution handheld or mobile games.

Either way this could massively backfire on Nintendo if the handheld versions are dumbed down mobile games, especially if there is a standard requirement for every game to have console and handheld versions.

RightBlaringBuzzard-size_restricted.gif

Yeah. Really not digging that whole "play a dumbed down version of the console game" on the go. For some reason, it makes me think of the whole GameCube to GBA thing

Having an actual different form of a game (a "mobile" Assassins Creed) makes absolutely no sense, and no third parties are going to abide by a "different form" mandate.

If this guy is really as trustworthy (non-bullshitty at least) as people are saying then I'd think he just worded it poorly. Or perhaps his Ubisoft friend worded it poorly. Either way, a scaled down version of the same game makes infinitely more sense then a completely different "form" of the game.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So I watched and in his own video on his channel Boogie says when you take the NX on the go you'll either "play the actual game or some form of the game."

I can't even...

Does is make sense for a dev to say "it's a dream to code for" if they're essentially making two games on one cartridge?

So I watched and in his own video on his channel Boogie says when you take the NX on the go you'll either "play the actual game or some form of the game."

I can't even...

Lol. Does that mean there's an option to choose for on the go? And some form of the game means what? Little games for the overall big game?

But that's only asking for effort from the dev's part. Which is exactly what Nintendo is trying to avoid.

It doesn't make any sense.

I hear you 100%. It could be looked at as the new "insert motion controls/GamePad functionality" by the cynics. It's clear that Nintendo has no intention of going head to head with Sony/Microsoft so I don't think people should expect them to do "what makes sense" in that arena. Nintendo is gonna do their own thing for better or worse. If it's going to be a burden on third-parties, time will tell.

ggx2ac

Hmm...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-begins-distributing-software-kit-for-new-nx-platform-1444996588

The exact shape of the NX hardware isn’t yet clear. People familiar with the development plans said Nintendo would likely include both a console and at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use.

Still, as said. Taking a form of the game instead of getting to play the same full game? What benefit does that give handheld players?

As I said once before, having the option to play games in a portable only mode could make sense for some games which I used Just Dance as an example.

At home you use wii Remotes but in portable mode you play the game using the touch screen for Just Dance.

I can't even...

The more I think about it, I wonder if this refers to the screen only vs. using the detachable controllers. I could see only being able to play "a form of the game" if you didn't bring any buttons with you. Maybe?

what-ok

So just like the current situation with Nintendo having a console and handheld, there are separate games for each "pillar". So am I understanding that NX is supposedly going to continue this separate approach? If so then the innovation lies elsewhere my friends. Not a clue.

But I don't want to play a mobile version of the game, I want to play THE game.
For real. This makes no sense.

If I pay $60 for BotW, then I would expect to play BotW on the go. If this does this "some form of the game", then all this tells me is this system isn't meant to be the successor to the 3DS. It really is a console, but with a little extra "to go" mode that gives you some kind of smaller taste of the overall game? Idk it's confusing.

I'm not seeing the benefit of it being called a handheld game when you're not getting the full experience.

I can't even...

I'm gonna say whoever gave him this info was very unclear about it. Or he's just making shit up. Nothing he's saying makes much sense at this point.

Edit:

Unless...

I'm likely humoring bullshit here, but what if there's three configurations- at home and docked, on the go with the detachable controllers, and on the go with just the screen portion. Maybe the "some form of the game" is just the touch screen form of the game...

Still, there would be the massive problem of asking developers to develop for touch screen only input, which is just stupid.

PtM

Banned
Yeah, I do find it funny that we talk/think about handhelds this way, when there are more handhelds that don't fit into pockets than do. Game Boy, Game Gear, Lynx, Turbo G, Vita... and a few others couldn't fit into standard pockets, even during an era where we didn't have large mobile phones.
Yet I remember a Kotaku article about how a 3DS XL totally fit in his jeans.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure how I'd feel about two completely different versions of a game depending on the mode, I'm not necessarily going to want to go away from the console and play a mobile version or some other variation more suited to a handheld environment. I'm hoping it's more the case of the games scaling depending on the mode. I think that's something that's doable, and that developers can feasibly work towards if the architecture allows it, and they know exactly what those multiple optimisation targets are.

That's what I hope for as well. Though I'm ok if some graphically intensive games are playable on the go. Hell, I'll use it as a portable less than 5% of the time anyway. I just sold off my portables recently as I just don't game on the go much anymore and have no interest in playing a portable at home when I can game on a big screen anytime I want.

This.

If the some form of the game thing is true, the NX is gonna be dead before it even releases. The entire point of why everyone was excited for it was to have full console games on the go.

_Ryo_

The more I think about it, I wonder if this refers to the screen only vs. using the detachable controllers. I could see only being able to play "a form of the game" if you didn't bring any buttons with you. Maybe?

Also the more I think about it this entire concept seems much too confusing to casuals. I mean, sure they only have to buy one system but they may see a commercial of the console version and assume since its a handheld they csn play that same version on the go.

A very similar problem Wii U faced.

KAL2006

Banned
Pokemon
On the Go - Pokemon Sun and Moon
At Home - Pokemon Stadium

Mario Maker
On the Go - Create and Play Levels
At Home - Play Levels only but supports 4 players

Pikmin
On the Go - Same game with touchscreen controls
At Home - Same game with pointer controls

Wii Sports
On the Go - not compatible
At Home - Motion controls

Brain Age
On the Go - Touchscreen
At Home - not compatible

I think it will be all down to the dev. They can have the exact experience on both modes or they can use the touchscreen for a different type of gameplay on the Go or have motion controls at home.

BY2K

Membero Americo
"There's also talk of a Smash game for the launch and not a port of the previous one but a new one."

Okay, this is starting to sound like a mish-mash of every single bs rumors we've had so far about the NX. And he somehow makes the rumors even more BS.

ggx2ac

I can't even...

If he's saying the actual game then I'm not worried.

I bet he used Assassin's Creed as an example because he would have risked his source if he mentioned Just Dance. (Hell I think his scenario is the following referring to just dance which was why he said it sounded like a different version of the game.)

I said this before as an example and I am certain this will be the case for Just Dance when it is revealed.

At home you play just dance with motion sensing Wii Remotes, when you play away from home you play just dance using the touch screen in portable only mode.

I made this claim of speculation long ago and it's going to be funny if this ends up true.

Lots of triple A games already have mobile games attached to them, so I could see the appeal as described, but I don't think that necessarily means that those are the only two options.

Play full console mode on tv, play limited version with high energy power on portable, or play the mobile game without extra installs in a reduced power/longer battery life mode.

Calm Mind

Nintendo NX exists to streamline Nintendo's own game development. This was pretty obvious from the merger of both their handheld and console divisions. You are deluding yourself if you thought Western 3rd party publishers were going to take the same route as Nintendo.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
"There's also talk of a Smash game for the launch and not a port of the previous one but a new one."

Okay, this is starting to sound like a mish-mash of every single bs rumors we've had so far about the NX. And he somehow makes the rumors even more BS.

boogie298810k

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Well, Square Enix are making two versions of Dragon Quest XI for 3DS. A full 3D version and a full sprite work version. And up to a certain point you can play both at once. But still, they're essentially two fully separate games.

Dragon-Quest-XI_2015_08-12-15_006.jpg

I would love to see Story of Season (Harvest Moon team) to do similar concept for their game too. Playing Sprite Harvest Moon would bring me a lot of nostalgia.

Nintendo NX exists to streamline Nintendo's own game development. This was pretty obvious from the merger of both their handheld and console divisions. You are deluding yourself if you thought Western 3rd party publishers were going to take the same route as Nintendo.
Who's deluding themselves by saying anything about western 3rd party publishers?

We should all have expected the fact that you couldn't play all games in console and handheld modes. It is the same distinction between the iPad and iPhone. There are games that can be played on the iPad, but not the iPhone. Instead of having two devices, with the NX you can play any of the games, but not be able to play them in either "mode".

I suspect a lot of games will be available in both "modes", except for the console experiences.

We should all have expected the fact that you couldn't play all games in console and handheld modes. It is the same distinction between the iPad and iPhone. There are games that can be played on the iPad, but not the iPhone. Instead of having two devices, with the NX you can play any of the games, but not be able to play them in either "mode".

I suspect a lot of games will be available in both "modes", except for the console experiences.

Up until now (and likely after now) the only solid rumors we have point to the exact same game on both handheld mode and console mode, since no one has said anything about a smart dock. So yes, based on the EG report we should assume all games will work in both handheld mode and console mode.

What Boogie could be talking about (if he really knows anything) is a "mobile" mode, which is in addition the the handheld mode, in which the control portions have been detached and you just play touchscreen versions of games.

Ok this makes it sound like there will be two versions of the game. So like VMU's for dreamcast but on a larger scale. Dunno if I'm happy with that.

This is the part I don't really understand. How is designing two separate versions of a game less of a burden on developers? I think Boogie might have communicated this awkwardly. If we assume that the NX is in fact easy to develop for and is a hybrid, then I can see two scenarios where this would be true:

1. Development and porting is so straightforward that porting both mobile and console titles is a breeze (unlikely)

2. The NX's APIs are able to seamlessly scale down assets of a console game to accommodate the mobile form factor.

I don't think Boogie meant it would be the actual AC mobile game, but rather the scaled down console game.

If he's saying "some form of game" or "mobile" as in different control schemes, well that's a whole different thing and most of us already guessed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom