• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROPALOOZA confirms NX to be a hybrid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qko

At this point I'm expecting no NX news until mid February when Nintendo has a Direct or event and announces the NX being available in 3 weeks. Like Apple.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
"There's also talk of a Smash game for the launch and not a port of the previous one but a new one."

Okay, this is starting to sound like a mish-mash of every single bs rumors we've had so far about the NX. And he somehow makes the rumors even more BS.

Really? I don't think there is any reliable source would point at brand new Smash. I meant Dr. Toto wasn't even sure if it's a port or brand new game.

Not to defend the guy but it's first time I've heard someone publically said its new Smash.

This is the part I don't really understand. How is designing two separate versions of a game less of a burden on developers? I think Boogie might have communicated this awkwardly. If we assume that the NX is in fact easy to develop for and is a hybrid, then I can see two scenarios where this would be true:

1. Development and porting is so straightforward that porting both mobile and console titles is a breeze (unlikely)

2. The NX's APIs are able to seamlessly scale down assets of a console game to accommodate the mobile form factor.

I don't think Boogie meant it would be the actual AC mobile game, but rather the scaled down console game.

Take the assassin's creed example... Ubisoft ALREADY makes a mobile companion game/app. Bethesda does with Fallout as well. MGSV, etcetc.

If these are easy to port besides the AAA game, it makes sense.

meppi

giphy.gif

done.

it's even on-topic.

Go on... what does this even mean? Because he's fat, right? :-/

Take the assassin's creed example... Ubisoft ALREADY makes a mobile companion game/app. Bethesda does with Fallout as well. MGSV, etcetc.

Yeah, I could see this if he's referring to touch-screen only games. I still think the handheld with control portions should be able to play the full console games though, even on the go.

oni-link

Yeah but if this is the unique feature that is meant to sell the NX then the NX has a worse gimmick than the Wii U

"You can play mobile apps for games on your system!"

Most people already own a phone that can run the app, so what exactly is the point of making part of the system mobile?

It's the worst conceivable application of the hybrid concept

So here's my thing about the hybrid. I think it's an awesome idea and then get Nintendo's library of games, but how different is it from already owning a PS4 and a Vita via Remote Play? Except the Vita's graphic fidelity isn't reduced, outside of streaming artifacts, of course.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just note that boogie always says his videos are "live" when they are in fact prerecorded, so assume everything he say is the opposite.

So assume the insider worked for Activision, programming for it is a nightmare and it's actually a Sony system.

So if you were to bring the mobile game for a trip, would you need strong wifi connection for both the dock and the mobile element to make the gimmick work?

So here's my thing about the hybrid. I think it's an awesome idea and then get Nintendo's library of games, but how different is it from already owning a PS4 and a Vita via Remote Play? Except the Vita's graphic fidelity isn't reduced, outside of streaming artifacts, of course.

You need the internet for vita remote play, which kind of defeats the point. You also need to buy two separate devices

Neoxon

"There's also talk of a Smash game for the launch and not a port of the previous one but a new one."

Okay, this is starting to sound like a mish-mash of every single bs rumors we've had so far about the NX. And he somehow makes the rumors even more BS.
Unless Sakurai's pulling another Melee (which, given the realities of HD development, I doubt), I find this hard to believe given how recently Smash 4's DLC was completed.

Unless Sakurai's pulling another Melee (which, given the realities of HD development, I doubt), I find this hard to believe given how recently Smash 4's DLC was completed.
Funny enough we haven't heard a single word about Bayonetta's and Cloud's amiibo since late last year/early this year. I think there's definitely something going on with Smash and NX, but I don't see a new smash game at all.

Falchion

I don't understand why Nintendo is letting all these leaks drive the conversion instead of taking control themselves with a reveal.

What magical Dreamcast did you have back in 1999?

The one where you could take "a version" of the game on the go with you. You don't remember that Tamagochi-esque VMU minigame for Sonic Adventure where you raised your Chus or whatever they were called? Surely you see the shared DNA between that concept and the hypothetical NX described in the OP.

So from what he said using the AC example, each game will have two versions? A console and Mobile version? If that is the case, I am not sure if I will want that. I want to be running the same version whether its docked or not.

Or like...

Game X on:
i7 5Ghz, 32GB ram, GTX SLI-1080 .vs. i5 2.8Ghz 8Gb ram, GTX 660Ti

Same game just lower settings when in portable mode compared to docked mode.

I REALLY hope that's what they meant - same game with just lower res, reduction in shaders or something to that effect, but the exact same game. Similar to the Vita/PS3 concept where you could cross play and take your console game, save it to the cloud and then continue on the Vita.

That did not work out for that ecosystem, but maybe it could if built from the ground up on the NX.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I know who's played on the NX for 20 minutes said... It's as innovative as they'd hoped and 'we wish we had done that.'"

Has to be Sony.

This.

If the some form of the game thing is true, the NX is gonna be dead before it even releases. The entire point of why everyone was excited for it was to have full console games on the go.

I would think this "form" would just be another setting. Consolegame running @ 600gflops vs, handheldmode running with lower resolution and slightly toned down graphics @ 200-gflops.

Numbers just for example. They won't make extraversions of consolegames for the Handheld, forget it.

But this goes against what lherre heard (not extra "mode" for portable or docked).

L Thammy

Maybe the console game is Mario Land, and then it turns into Wario Land when you play on handheld. A different form of the same game.

How many times has it been confirmed to be a hybrid now? Lol.

Not enough. I still believe it's going to be a toaster.

This only "confirms" NX is a hybrid if you believe boogie2988 is a more reliable source than The Wall Street Journal, Eurgoamer, IGN, Emily Rogers, NateDrake, and a host of others who have been saying the same thing for months.

Santar

Uergh...
Getting a separate version of a game when only using the handheld is absolutely NOT what I wanted.
But sadly it does fit with Nintendo pulling a Nintendo and almost but not quite doing what people want/hope for. Just like they did with Super Mario Maker 3DS.
I was really hoping for a true handheld/console hybrid.

I think at this moment, I am the only person here who hopes it takes a bit longer to reveal the NX. I want my stock purchase order to go through before the stock jumps.

Neoxon

Funny enough we haven't heard a single word about Bayonetta's and Cloud's amiibo since late last year/early this year. I think there's definitely something going on with Smash and NX, but I don't see a new smash game at all.
Most of us are under the belief that the last 3 Smash 4 Amiibos (Bayonetta, Cloud, & Corrin) are likely being saved for the launch of a Smash game on the NX. And given the timing, it'll likely be some kind of a port of Smash 4 (enhanced or otherwise).

Uergh...
Getting a separate version of a game when only using the handheld is absolutely NOT what I wanted.
But sadly it does fit with Nintendo pulling a Nintendo and almost but not quite doing what people want/hope for. Just like they did with Super Mario Maker 3DS.
I was really hoping for a true handheld/console hybrid.

This is probably fake

What if instead of the console/handheld divisions makes games independently, what if the console developers are making the console game and the handheld developers are making the mobile app?

Most of us are under the belief that the last 3 Smash 4 Amiibos (Bayonetta, Cloud, & Corrin) are likely being saved for the launch of a Smash game on the NX. And given the timing, it'll likely be some kind of a port of Smash 4 (enhanced or otherwise).
That makes the most sense because all these other amiibo that have been announced after those are being released already. Those 3 are being held back on purpose for Smash NX.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Wow, a Nintendo rumor where they say you can play X AAA game, it's easy to code for, and it's innovative.

_PsiFire_

My thoughts..

He used Assassin's Creed as an example... First of all, think about a Ubisoft game that WOULDN'T work on-the-go as it would at home on a TV. We already know 1 confirmed game that Ubisoft is developing for the NX where this would be the case.

Just Dance.

You wouldn’t be able to play JD on-the-go the same way you would at home. Ubisoft would have to change the game up for this very reason.

A game like Assassin's Creed, they wouldn't have to do this unless the dock DOES add more power which is likely not the case for launch.

orioto

Good Art™
"Assassin's Creed mobile"
"Taking a form of the game"
Please no

Indeed that seems really really worrying..

Worst case scenario, NX innovation is that it's a home console that lets you play mini games on your phone linked to the home game ^^'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom