• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary Clinton in Pop culture through the years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Holy shit the Hillary impersonator in Roseanne is the same as in Meme Queen. I guess she's been doing this a while.

Izuna

Banned
Holy shit the Hillary impersonator in Roseanne is the same as in Meme Queen. I guess she's been doing this a while.

I had to do my best not to share this video when I saw that haha. It's finally here I guess.

Great video, worth watching all the way through.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It's one of the worst tv shows in existence.

Maybe if you've only seen two TV shows in your life, and the other one was The Simpsons.
Otherwise, you clearly don't watch TV.

Yep. Grew out of it after highschool when toilet humor was no longer amusing.

Still thinking South Park is nothing but toilet humor in 2016... what am I dealing with here?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
HOLY SHIT!

The actress that played her on Roseanne is the same one in the meme queen video!

Edit: Oh, the video addresses that. I was so shocked I paused the video, lol

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I've...kinda grown out of South Park recently myself. These days, it just seems to state stuff, but not actually get into what that stuff means. They've become the TV show equivalent of a GTA radio advert. Obvious satire lacking in any proper insight. How people keep praising series 19 as something meaningful I will never understand.

But then again, I still enjoy Family Guy, sooo...

Jenov

I watched this a few days ago :) Very interesting to see how she's treated on SNL over the years. You can also see the sexist overtones heavily in the 90s, people did NOT want a first lady doing anything other than tea parties.

Ekai

To be on topic:
I liked this video a lot. I'll have to check out this yters other stuff. She seemed like a good editor/host.

Other stuff:

It's not JUST toilet humor to be fair but that's about all it amounts to. Toilet humor and punching down. That's honestly about it and it's not really amusing to say the least.

south park is one of the greatest shows ever created

If you mean greatest at being extremely one note, yea. : /
Agree to disagree.

Maybe if you've only seen two TV shows in your life, and the other one was The Simpsons.
Otherwise, you clearly don't watch TV.

Still thinking South Park is nothing but toilet humor in 2016... what am I dealing with here?

Nah. Watch a lot of tv. SP is easily one of the worst shows currently airing. If not the worst. It fuels that "both sides" nonsense that adds to voter apathy quite a bit. Not to mention it's been a poster child of the alt-right since the last season...and frankly speaking even before that.

And you're dealing with reality :p

God the 90s were sexist. It's like watching any tv show from back then and being greeting by a bunch of gay jokes that were completely acceptable.

Holmes

This was a really interesting watch. I was really struck when she said Hillary's portrayals have been all over the place depending on how people think she's like and recent events (although a recurring theme is that she is power hungry), but most other politicians are played similarly no matter who's playing them. Could be either a reason or an outcome of people's very mixed opinions of her. Or both.

Veelk

Banned
This was a really interesting watch. I was really struck when she said Hillary's portrayals have been all over the place depending on how people think she's like and recent events (although a recurring theme is that she is power hungry), but most other politicians are played similarly no matter who's playing them. Could be either a reason or an outcome of people's very mixed opinions of her. Or both.

I think it's probably because people often don't know what to make of her. The mention about how people like her when she's not trying to run for something is notable. People usually like the job she does, they just don't like that she wants to do it.

Lothar

Banned
To be on topic:
I liked this video a lot. I'll have to check out this yters other stuff. She seemed like a good editor/host.

Other stuff:

It's not JUST toilet humor to be fair but that's about all it amounts to. Toilet humor and punching down. That's honestly about it and it's not really amusing to say the least.

If you mean greatest at being extremely one note, yea. : /
Agree to disagree.

Nah. Watch a lot of tv. SP is easily one of the worst shows currently airing. If not the worst. It fuels that "both sides" nonsense that adds to voter apathy quite a bit. Not to mention it's been a poster child of the alt-right since the last season...and frankly speaking even before that.

"The show that makes fun of everyone is now making a few jokes at my expense, so it must be a part of Evil Group X."

-shadow-

Lindsay is awesome and does some really interesting work these days. Shame that since she left TGWTG/Channel Awesome she basically disappeared for a short while because her content is absolutely amazing!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I've never heard South Park as a poster child of the right until this thread

I wouldn't say it is a poster child for the right but it doesn't hold punches on left wing subjects.

Lothar

Banned
South Park is the best

Yes. The fact that some extremists still get upset by it greatly adds to the humor. I'm sure there's some hardcore republicans who can't take a joke as well on the Hannity website that are calling South Park trash for the way it portrays Trump. That make it 1000x funnier.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Holy shit, can this lady not just look at the camera when she talks? That is extremely distracting. What are you looking at?

Holy shit, can this lady not just look at the camera when she talks? That is extremely distracting. What are you looking at?

One does not criticize the perfection that is Chez Lindsay you heathen.

She is barely even on camera this episode. You are just finding something to be annoyed by.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
One does not criticize the perfection that is Chez Lindsay you heathen.

She is barely even on camera this episode. You are just finding something to be annoyed by.

She was on camera for a minute and spent the entire time darting her eyes around her room. I didn't even watch the video after it cut back to her after the initial showing of Hillary and Bill on Arsenio.

Bronx-Man

Banned
"The show that makes of everyone is now making a few jokes at my expense, so it must be a part of Evil Group X."
This doesn't really make sense considering South Park's made fun of liberals before and no one was really upset. Liberals liked episodes like ManBearPig and Smug because they were actually funny.

Lothar

Banned
This doesn't really make sense considering South Park's made fun of liberals before and no one was really upset. Liberals liked episodes like ManBearPig and Smug because they were actually funny.

No, they didn't. They hated ManBearPig, and actually they probably had more valid reasons to hate ManBearPig. MBP was also one of the least funny episodes they've ever done. The show has improved tremendously from the dark days of Season 10-12.

Manbearpig was and still is an awful episode considering the threat climate change poses. South Park is hilarious when they are making episodes about random shit but when it turns to politics I have to turn my brain off.

Keasar

There was also this in the movie Pluto Nash.
MFkx5Fl.jpg

You're not apparently. What?
You do realize that they have been portraying the entire Trump movement as absolutely senseless?

I wouldn't say it is a poster child for the right but it doesn't hold punches on left wing subjects.
It doesn't hold punches on anyone. I think both Stone and Parker in interviews have said that they have dislikes about both houses, both sides etc.

There was also this in the movie Pluto Nash.

You're not apparently. What?

It doesn't hold punches on anyone. I think both Stone and Parker in interviews have said that they have dislikes about both houses, both sides etc.

Right which is why when it comes down to it their commentary is just lazy. That being said it can be hilariously lazy but I don't see how people actually look it to it for good social commentary.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
"The show that makes of everyone is now making a few jokes at my expense, so it must be a part of Evil Group X."

Yep...
Once they made fun of Scientology, they were Public Enemy #1 to them, and forced Isaac Hayes to quit.
Once they made fun of the Jonas Bros, their fangirls called for their heads.
Once they made fun of PC culture, the far left started screaming that they were alt-right. Even though they make fun of both sides all the time. Did they miss the episode where Canadian Donald Trump completely ruined Canada?

Keasar

Right which is why when it comes down to it their commentary is just lazy. That being said it can be hilariously lazy but I don't see how people actually look it to it for good social commentary.

I think it's good? I liked for instance a recent episode for for example they took Gerald, Kyle's father, ~50 years old, a devout Jewish and father of two, and turned him into one of the most hated persons in the US. by having him be skankhunt42, a sexist awful troll who harasses women online of all ages without anyones knowledge. I thought it was a great commentary on the public perception on who trolls might be in society where we just write them off as "miserable" people. When the truth is actually often very different.

Lothar

Banned
Yep...
Once they made fun of Scientology, they were Public Enemy #1 to them, and forced Isaac Hayes to quit.
Once they made fun of PC culture, the far left started screaming that they were alt-right. Even though they make fun of both sides all the time. Did they miss the episode where Canadian Donald Trump completely ruined Canada?

They really honestly get their knowledge of the show from memes and gifs most likely.

Here, South Park calls republicans a tool of Satan. http://www.hulu.com/watch/252232

Hindl

Yep...

The issue isn't as much with South Park itself as people who have their ideologies formed by South Park. Matt & Trey just make fun of whatever they think is funny, which is fine. But it isn't very consistent, and the issue is with how people react to it. Stuff like Douche vs Turd Sandwich, a fine episode, but then people reflect that on real life and use it as justification for "both sides" bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom