• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary Clinton in Pop culture through the years

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I think it's good? I liked for instance a recent episode for for example they took Gerald, Kyle's father, ~50 years old, a devout Jewish and father of two, and turned him into one of the most hated persons in the US. by having him be skankhunt42, a sexist awful troll who harasses women online of all ages without anyones knowledge. I thought it was a great commentary on the public perception on who trolls might be in society where we just write them off as "miserable" people. When the truth is actually often very different.

Bingo.
The perception that trolls are nothing but miserable basement dwellers is outdated and really not true. Anyone can be an anonymous troll, and they probably do it because it's fun.
One can think all of 4chan's shitposters are like that, but you don't know that. The anonymous posting means it could be anyone.

The issue isn't as much with South Park itself as people who have their ideologies formed by South Park. Matt & Trey just make fun of whatever they think is funny, which is fine. But it isn't very consistent, and the issue is with how people react to it. Stuff like Douche vs Turd Sandwich, a fine episode, but then people reflect that on real life and use it as justification for "both sides" bullshit.

If one takes their ideology from South Park, then perhaps they need to look inward and find more to life.

The issue isn't as much with South Park itself as people who have their ideologies formed by South Park. Matt & Trey just make fun of whatever they think is funny, which is fine. But it isn't very consistent, and the issue is with how people react to it. Stuff like Douche vs Turd Sandwich, a fine episode, but then people reflect that on real life and use it as justification for "both sides" bullshit.
If your ideologies are being swayed by a tv show perhaps the tv show isn't the real problem.

This was a really cool video. It was interesting to touch on the ideologies of why these various portrayals existed, how most of them seem so different, and evolve over time. It kind of gave me some perspective since I'm not American and only really became aware of Hillary in the '08 election.

Also, wow, major props to Teresa Barnwell for being a Hillary impersonator almost as long as Hillary's been in office.

I didn't realize nostalgia chick made her own channel!

Holy crap, seeing her name was "Lindsay" made me wonder for a second, but I had no idea it was actually her.

If your ideologies are being swayed by a tv show perhaps the tv show isn't the real problem.

Everyone is influenced by all the media they are exposed to. This isn't new or something to be ashamed of.

Anyone who claims that they are not influenced by media are just so out of touch that they don't realize what their influences are.

Everyone is influenced by all the media they are exposed to. This isn't new or something to be ashamed of.

Anyone who claims that they are not influenced by media are just so out of touch that they don't realize what their influences are.

I don't think anyone was arguing that media doesn't influence people. To have a single show, and have it be South Park of all things, almost totally effect your perception of the world that's on you.

Ekai

"The show that makes of everyone is now making a few jokes at my expense, so it must be a part of Evil Group X."

Nah, the show has pretty much always sucked and been right-wingy. *shrugs*
The last season in particular was far and away one of the worst seasons that they've ever produced due to how much it embraced the alt-right and their nonsense.

This topic isn't about SP but given it appeared in the video, it is tangentially related and...yea...it tends to be absolute crap. Their "jokes" about Hillary were as equally dumb as pretty much everything else that appears on the show.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The last season in particular was far and away one of the worst seasons that they've ever produced due to how much it embraced the alt-right and their nonsense.

This topic isn't about SP but given it appeared in the video, it is tangentially related and...yea...it tends to be absolute crap. Their "jokes" about Hillary were as equally dumb as pretty much everything else that appears on the show.

Last season had the Yaoi episode

The Yaoi episode

GOAT

Lothar

Banned

Actually it's the best show and nothing you're saying in this post is true, for reasons we already explained. See examples of SP calling republicans the tool of the devil and the way they're currenfly portraying Trump now as a bumbling idiot that has no idea what he's doing. Calling it right wing is a laughable and embarrassing comment to anyone who watches the show.

Actually it's the best show and nothing you're saying in this post is true, for reasons we already explained. See examples of SP calling republicans the tool of the devil and the way they're currenfly portraying Trump now as a bumbling idiot that has no idea what he's doing. Calling it right wing is a laughable and embarrassing comment to anyone who watches the show.

Not to mention, as I've pointed out in the the OT, that in this season they put reminiscing about the Reagan administration alongside homophobia and racism.

2118283-pres_clinton.jpg

HILLARY-1-600x981.png

Funeral for a Friend.

Ekai

Actually it's the best show and nothing you're saying in this post is true, for reasons we already explained. See examples of SP calling republicans the tool of the devil and the way they're currenfly portraying Drumpf now as a bumbling idiot that has no idea what he's doing. Calling it right wing is a laughable and embarrassing comment to anyone who watches the show.

I'm just calling it what it is. Last season was nothing but a tirade against minorities, women, the left-wing, etc. etc. etc. They've done that for quite some time. It was a huge embrace of the alt-right and they ate that slop up hardcore. The fact I've seen such an absolutely horrible season also praised non-stop on Gaf is frankly speaking alarming.

Not to mention, again, they fuel that both sides nonsensical apathy that so many embrace because they can't think for themselves unless a shit-tier show like SP tells them how to think.

It's one of the worst shows in modern television and nothing's going to change that for me.

I think it's probably because people often don't know what to make of her. The mention about how people like her when she's not trying to run for something is notable. People usually like the job she does, they just don't like that she wants to do it.

The joys of having a vagina

Oersted

Yep...
Once they made fun of Scientology, they were Public Enemy #1 to them, and forced Isaac Hayes to quit.
Once they made fun of the Jonas Bros, their fangirls called for their heads.
Once they made fun of PC culture, the far left started screaming that they were alt-right. Even though they make fun of both sides all the time. Did they miss the episode where Canadian Donald Trump completely ruined Canada?

To quote Ebert from 12 years ago

If I were asked to extract a political position from the movie, I'd be baffled. It is neither for nor against the war on terrorism, just dedicated to ridiculing those who wage it and those who oppose it. The White House gets a free pass, since the movie seems to think Team America makes its own policies without political direction.

I wasn't offended by the movie's content so much as by its nihilism. At a time when the world is in crisis and the country faces an important election, the response of Parker, Stone and company is to sneer at both sides -- indeed, at anyone who takes the current world situation seriously. They may be right that some of us are puppets, but they're wrong that all of us are fools, and dead wrong that it doesn't matter.

I'm just calling it what it is. Last season was nothing but a tirade against minorities, women, the left-wing, etc. etc. etc. They've done that for quite some time. It was a huge embrace of the alt-right and they ate that slop up hardcore. The fact I've seen such an absolutely horrible season also praised non-stop on Gaf is frankly speaking alarming.

Not to mention, again, they fuel that both sides nonsensical apathy that so many embrace because they can't think for themselves unless a shit-tier show like SP tells them how to think.

It's one of the worst shows in modern television and nothing's going to change that for me.

You are not calling it what it is. You are just making some asinine accusation without even knowing what you are talking about. Calling South Park alt right wing is idiotic, laughable and very ignorant.

Ekai

You are not calling it what it is. You are just making some asinine accusation without even knowing what you are talking about. Calling South Park alt right wing is idiotic, laughable and very ignorant.

I'm reflecting on the content of the show's character. It often appeals to alt-righters/the right-wing and people who espouse that "both sides" bullcrap. I've seen quite a lot of it to garner a grasp on how terrible it is. Sorry, not sorry, that we disagree on this.

Vimes

Lindsay Ellis is the best.

I did a full-body wince when that South Park ep came up. I've been feeling like I've grown out of the show too, but apparently I just burned that one from my memory.

anyone who claims South Park to be an alt-right show clearly hasn't been following the last two seasons

or the first 18

fantastic show and social commentary is even more on point today than before

Lothar

Banned
To quote Ebert from 12 years ago

Haha at Ebert looking for deep meaning in a movie about puppets. Originally they wanted to do a shot for shot recreation of Day After Tomorrow but couldn't get the rights. It's funny to imagine that Ebert was watching the puppet sex scene or the "Dicks, Pussies, and Assholes" scene, taking notes, and wondering "Are they saying we're puppets?"

Ekai

anyone who claims South Park to be an alt-right show clearly hasn't been following the last two seasons

or the first 18

fantastic show and social commentary is even more on point today than before

The last seasons derision of minorities was the peak of alt-right. How you can deny this astounds me.

The social commentary was even further off-point than it ever has been....which it has pretty often, to be frank.

Keasar

The last seasons derision of minorities was the peak of alt-right. How you can deny this astounds me.

The social commentary was even further off-point than it ever has been....which is has pretty often, to be frank.

Elaborate this.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's good? I liked for instance a recent episode for for example they took Gerald, Kyle's father, ~50 years old, a devout Jewish and father of two, and turned him into one of the most hated persons in the US. by having him be skankhunt42, a sexist awful troll who harasses women online of all ages without anyones knowledge. I thought it was a great commentary on the public perception on who trolls might be in society where we just write them off as "miserable" people. When the truth is actually often very different.

He couldn't stop to the point where he had to leave the house of his pregnant wife. It seems like a pretty miserable situation to have that difficult of a time giving up that outlet to his stress.

collige

Banned
Nihilism is a pretty good description of South Park's politics. Nothing matters and you're a dumbass if you care about anything.

I think this is generally pretty true nowadays, but I a lot of the older episodes had very explicit morals to them (This is probably where the conservative stigma comes from, see Starbucks vs Tweek), but they've used Cartman as a way to parody groups and people that don't like ever since they made him out to be a complete villain instead of just a spoiled brat. The Zimmerman episode is a good example where he jumps on gun rights and stand your ground laws purely out of racist paranoia.

Lothar

Banned

"Although the South Park boys wrote The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs simply to shock and offend people, readers delve too deeply into the meaning behind the book, finding hidden allegories and symbolism that the actual authors insist are not present. People with conflicting philosophies, including liberals and conservatives, and pro-choice and pro-life advocates, attempt to claim that the same work conveys and validates their own ideology"

This is just too perfect.

JeTmAn81

I need Hillary to win purely for 4/8 years of SNL skits.

Cosigned, but only if they lock down Kate McKinnon for the role. Probably my favorite SNL impersonation since Darrell Hammond as Bill. Tina Fey as Sarah Palin is up there as well, of course.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I need Hillary to win purely for 4/8 years of SNL skits.

Yeah, I have to admit, Trump isn't the godsend to political comedy that he was once thought to be.

You can't really satirize someone that's parody enough all on his own.

Skits about Hillary have been way funnier.

JeTmAn81

I don't think Kate's gonna be on SNL that much longer anyway. Hollywood's gonna come calling soon.

Seems that way, though it's not impossible that she could come back from time to time to do Hillary. I can't see anybody else doing those crazy eyes as well as her.

Ekai

Elaborate this.

I don't understand how you don't see it.
That season was all about embracing the alt-right boogeyman of "PC Culture" and attacking safe spaces. Incidentally both are concepts that minorities benefit directly from. The alt-right despises "PC culture" and safe spaces because they don't like being criticized for the hateful fucks they are. Period. And SP told them "hey, you're right to despise them, oh also, virtue signaling is totes real and not at all a meaningless buzzword you made up because you can't believe that anyone could genuinely care about minorities without being out for themselves". That's literally all that season was. It was asinine to a degree that SP has never been before. Which is hard since the show already sucked pretty hard.

In essence, SP gave them an outlet and justification for their beliefs with how over-the-top and villainous they made both concepts while attempting to showcase how little people who support minorities actually care. It's the most ridiculous and off-point commentary possible. It was a season that was nothing but a mouthpiece for the vile shit spewed by alt-righters. I couldn't dislike that season and SP as a whole even more if I tried.

I seriously don't get how anyone can not see it.

Their Hillary commentary just further nails in the coffin. I forgot that episode even existed but geezus is it cringe-worthy.

Lothar

Banned
I don't understand how you don't see it.
That season was all about embracing the alt-right boogeyman of "PC Culture" and attacking safe spaces. Incidentally both are concepts that minorities benefit directly from. The alt-right despises "PC culture" and safe spaces because they don't like being criticized for the hateful fucks they are. Period. And SP told them "hey, you're right to despise them, oh also, virtue signaling is totes real and not at all a meaningless buzzword you made up because you can't believe that anyone could genuinely care about minorities without being out for themselves". That's literally all that season was. It was asinine to a degree that SP has never been before. Which is hard since the show already sucked pretty hard.

In essence, SP gave them an outlet and justification for their beliefs with how over-the-top and villainous they made both concepts while attempting to showcase how little people who support minorities actually care. It's the most ridiculous and off-point commentary possible. It was a season that was nothing but a mouthpiece for the vile shit spewed by alt-righters. I couldn't dislike that season and SP as a whole even more if I tried.

I seriously don't get how anyone can not see it.

Their Hillary commentary just further nails in the coffin. I forgot that episode even existed but geezus is it cringe-worthy.

This almost reads like a parody. Is this a real post? What is this garbage? If PC Principal was over the top and villainous than what was Mr Garrison taking the charge of the opposing viewpoint? You are embarrassing yourself calling it alt-right with how they portrayed Trump. In the season before that, they were in support of transgender issues. Doesn't like something the alt-right would be a fan of.

South Park is not an alt-right show. The biggest problem with last season is how not once did they acknowledge how safe spaces have helped minorities: the lgbt community in particular. Theyou go after hardcore right wing politics far more than they do the left but the whole conclusion to last season was just stupid.

The joys of having a vagina

-___-

Heard about her thanks to the Hercules thread a while ago, saw this video yesterday and was kinda sad how much shit she gets for being a woman i̶n̶ ̶p̶o̶w̶e̶r̶.
Subscribed to Chez Lindsay, liked her work. Wasn't feeling her Nostalgia Chic content seemed weaker compared to her newer stuff. Also discovered hairy bearded hot guy Rantasmo through her which was fun.

Was interested in finding out more about how Hilary is perceived in modern times and how it got there but this thread turned into a South Park OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom