• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary Clinton in Pop culture through the years

Status
Not open for further replies.
South Park is trash but it's hardcore fans are even worse. They take everything said by that show as gospel, even though it's all the thoughts of out-of-touch middle aged white dudes. The recent episode on female comedians is one recent example or fans eating up their shit. Oh, Matt and Trey's racist, homophobic mouthpiece named Cartman say women comedians always talk about their vaginas so must be true lol. Amy Schumer talked about her vagina in this red carpet event a day after the episode aired. Matt and Trey are geniuses!

JordanN

Banned
'Listen here minority, lemme tell you why you shouldn't be offended and why you're fucking wrong'

So South Park only appeals to white people now?

If only I could tell my 10 year old self that all the episodes that were ripping on George Bush, the KKK, Mel Gibson, literal rednecks etc wasn't for me to laugh at.

South Park is trash but it's hardcore fans are even worse. They take everything said by that show as gospel, even though it's all the thoughts of out-of-touch middle aged white dudes. The recent episode on female comedians is one recent example or fans eating up their shit. Oh, Matt and Trey's racist, homophobic mouthpiece named Cartman say women comedians always talk about their vaginas so must be true lol. Amy Schumer talked about her vagina in this red carpet event a day after the episode aired. Matt and Trey are geniuses!
I don't know if this is parody or not.

Lothar

Banned
I just want to point out that it's kinda weird this turned into a South Park thread because of a relatively minor segment, one that isn't even being focused on any longer in favor of evaluating SP as a whole.

The video was good and interesting, I don't know what else to say about it; The claims that SP is a garbage show because it makes fun of everyone and this time it's making fun of my side, is far more fascinating and ripe for discussion I guess to most people reading the thread.

Sanjuro

IIGvSFb.gif

You know, I think this sums up South Park pretty well. And it's audience.

And why I have no love for South Park. It's a voice for those who have no political stake. A safe space for the "all candidates are trash" type of folks who don't truly feel the social repercussions of their actions like minorities do. Think the whole world is just one big dumb theater. Much like what Ebert said.

I've got no time for that nonsense.

You can make this judgement about people based on a show they like? Interesting. You know the funny thing is how naive the opinion is that because south park is making fun of both sides this season in regards to politics that its going to skew peoples opinions. Especially in regards to this election. I've never seen people so openly admit or such an emphasis on the fact that plenty of people are going to be voting this November against x candidate because they don't want them to be president. Not because they believe 100% in the other candidate and their policies but because they don't want the other person in office because they're afraid of what may happen. So yes plenty of people are unhappy with both candidates. You're blind if you don't see that. However that doesn't mean they're "in the middle" or haven't made up their mind. This election has been a circus and South Park is just as usual, making fun of it.

Fitts

I enjoy Amy Poehler's portrayal most, but she's just super likable/entertaining in everything. The sketches when Bill was in office were great, but the Hillary character rarely seemed to get the best material in them.

Mega

Banned
'Listen here minority, lemme tell you why you shouldn't be offended and why you're fucking wrong'

Do you ever feel embarrassed typing this stuff? As if it holds any water. South Park has never stated or expressed such a sentiment in its entire history. But they have had smart episodes tackling different angles of racism and even outright criticizing racists and apologists, eg. World War Zimmerman. If you watched through the show and paid attention you would have seen that. But I guess it's quicker and easier to join the recent hate train and drop a lazy shitpost without any merit.

I see this said a lot about SP and its fanbase, but never anything to actually back it up. Who are all these people that zealously follow SP like it is their personal philosophy of life? There's a sizable fanbase here and from what one can observe it is just regard it as a funny show always looking to outrage for a laugh. Unless you want to disingenuously dig for uncommon nutcases to prove a point, it's not anyone's political mantra or whatever bullshit claim you wanna pin on the entire fanbase.

You also missed the point of that episode. You're not supposed to agree with Cartman... it was a criticism of how men put women on the spot and demand they be funny as proof that they are in fact funny. Cartman himself later elaborated he does think women comedians are funny.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Do you ever feel embarrassed typing this stuff? As if it holds any water. South Park has never stated or expressed such a sentiment in its entire history. But they have had smart episodes tackling different angles of racism and even outright criticizing racists and apologists, eg. World War Zimmerman. If you watched through the show and paid attention you would have seen that. But I guess it's quicker and easier to join the recent hate train and drop a lazy shitpost without any merit.

Why are you this offended at people not liking a show?

This generation, I swear.

Wiz

I've been watching her videos all day because of this thread lol

Good stuff. Subscribed.

No, I remember the dipshits on here last year posting PCPrincipal.jpg in every thread about "sjw's". They're trash.

Something like that becomes problematic if it is being evoked to stifle discussion (shit posting), but I think memes, reaction gifts and images have their place if they are not used for shitposting that derails a conversation. I certainly used it once or twice, but I can see how it could be seen the way you see it. But as I said; PC principle is a good guy and a good character. He is a character of contrast that is the polar of many of the others and the misunderstandings that is created between his world view and the boys is what a lot of the narrative is born from.
But I think the use of the character is when someone is delivering a post in a lecturing condescending tone and PC principle sort of reminds of this guy who talks above and beyond everyone else and who knows the social landscape that we should all follow, and that obviously is not how to have a discussion

I think people who are annoyed / offended by PC principle and its caricature should ask themselves why it is causing this emotional anger. I think that if you're honest with yourself you'll find that a lot of things that make you irritated can be because a nerve is hit, and a part of you knows that- You're cynical and angry at it because it hits close to home.
Again, being made fun of is healthy for your ego. Just have to rationalize it and ask yourself if you come across to others as a houlier-than-thou insincere person who lashes out on others and shoots everyone down with broad stroke generalizations.
You're not going to grow as a person if you do not want to let yourself get taken down a few pegs. That goes for all of us which is why its important to engage with shit that upsets you and gets under your skin. how else are you going to process and evolve your beliefs as a person? Surely not by engaging with likeminded individuals who share and agree with everything you say.
And it's not like it doesn't go back the other way sometimes to. But that's what having a discussion about a current event topic is all about. not to bring back up what some posters did that was annoying.
An anecdote to this; Yass Queen meme got the rise out of me last year and earlier part of 2016 And of course it's pretty clear that once I internalized it, was probably (to be fair) due to being salty over bitter Bernie Sanders-Hillary feuds with Hillary supporters smearing it in. Yass Queen just annoyed the shit out of me. Then when I sort of asked myself why it annoyed me, I reached a conclusion that a nerve was hit, and being aware of it just made me take a few steps back and not take it so personal. We can all get caught in making it about ourselves and them clam down on everyone else who does't have the required level of understanding that our world view has, and that is just a trap we all can fall into due to our own internal bias.

Mega

Banned

You're deflecting. I'm not offended. I'm asking you why you feel the need to type such shitposts that hold no water. Answer the question.

To be clear, you say you don't like the show because of X. You're shown X does not at all pertain to the show. And you can only respond with WHY ARE YOU MAD.

Bronx-Man

Banned
You're deflecting. I'm not offended. I'm asking you why you feel the need to type such shitposts that hold no water. Answer the question.

This is thread is filled with people saying that Ekai is "FACTUALLY WRONG", whatever the fuck that means, for how they personally felt watching last season's South Park. I parodied it, you got offended and decided to call it a shitpost. So again I ask, why are you so upset over a tv show?

Hip Hop

"I can't answer the question so I'm gonna deflect by asking another question"
This is thread is filled with people saying that Ekai is "FACTUALLY WRONG", whatever the fuck that means, for how they personally felt watching last season's South Park. I parodied it, you got offended and decided to call it a shitpost. So again I ask, why are you so upset over a tv show?

Mega

Banned
This is thread is filled with people saying that Ekai is "FACTUALLY WRONG", whatever the fuck that means, for how they felt watching last season's South Park. I parodied, you got offended and decided to call it a shitpost. So again I ask, why are you so upset over a tv show?

Please don't play this juvenile game about anyone being offended. I'm not offended that you're offended (note, I never said you're offended either).

Yes, you and Ekai completely misread the show (alt-right, ugh) and the messages being conveyed by the show. That's the definition of being wrong as a matter of fact. I myself thought the season opener was simply mocking Schumer and missed what the scene was actually about (Carman is THE butt of jokes through his ridiculous behavior, he's usually not the one delivering a message).

Please tell me again how I'm so mad.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Please don't play this juvenile game about anyone being offended. I'm not offended that you're offended (note, I never said you're offended either).

Yes, you and Ekai completely misread the show (alt-right, ugh) and the messages being conveyed by the show. That's the definition of being wrong as a matter of fact. I myself thought the season opener was simply mocking Schumer and missed what the scene was actually about (Carman is THE butt of jokes through his ridiculous behavior, he's usually not the one delivering a message).

Please tell me again how I'm so mad.

That you keep going on about how people in this thread as factually incorrect in their opinions (which isn't possible) and saying any post that you don't like is a "shitpost" suggests someone, whether it be me or Ekai has touched a nerve. If you wanna enjoy it that's perfectly fine but when someone feels like they're being punched down, you don't shout at them and act completely condescending.

Mega

Banned
That you keep going on about how people in this thread as factually incorrect in their opinions (which isn't possible) and saying any post that you don't like is a "shitpost" suggests someone, whether it be me or Ekai has touched a nerve. If you wanna enjoy it that's perfectly fine but when someone feels like they're being punched down, you don't shout at them and act completely condescending.

The alt right is a very specific movement for which then and now South Park had has numerous episodes insulting it and denouncing it directly. You can't have the "feeling" that the show is alt right when it is so overtly untrue. That is what I meant by my earlier statement that Ekai was factually wrong. Because SP is as literal fact not alt right. It's like muddying the waters with your personal agenda and accusing someone of being a pro-Trump Republican when they're a voting, registered Democrat (which happened to me in a thread here before btw). It's foolishness.

I'm not concerned with the recent concept of punching up/down in comedy because that's open to interpretation. A thousand people with a thousand personal interests can lay claim that a person or show's brand of comedy is offensive and punching down at them. If you feel SP is attacking minorities, that's your right. But don't expect much in the way of support when you can't substantiate your claims beyond a phony quote you made up on behalf of the creators.

Bronx-Man

Banned
The alt right is a very specific movement for which then and now South Park had has numerous episodes insulting it and denouncing it directly. You can't have the "feeling" that the show is alt right when it is so overtly untrue. That is what I meant by my earlier statement that Ekai was factually wrong. Because SP is as literal fact not alt right. It's like muddying the waters with your personal agenda and accusing someone of being a pro-Trump Republican when they're a voting, registered Democrat (which happened to me in a thread here before btw). It's foolishness.

I'm not concerned with the recent concept of punching up/down in comedy because that's open to interpretation. A thousand people with a thousand personal interests can lay claim that a person or show's brand of comedy is offensive and punching down at them. If you feel SP is attacking minorities, that's your right. But don't expect much in the way of support when you can't substantiate your claims beyond a phony quote you made up on behalf of the creators.
You mean a joke?

Also that wasn't "on behalf" of the creators, it was parodying everyone here acting like an asshole to Ekai.

Mega

Banned
You mean a joke?

Also that wasn't "on behalf" of the creators, it was parodying everyone here acting like an asshole to Ekai.

I don't think you understand parody.

Fair criticisms of erroneous statements = being an asshole now? He/she seemed to take care of themselves just fine btw.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I don't think you understand parody.

Fair criticisms of erroneous statements = being an asshole now? He/she seemed to take care of themselves just fine btw.

Calling someone factually incorrect for feeling punched down is not "fair criticism". You would realize this if you spent time listening to and trying to empathize with how they feel instead of getting outraged because someone said something you don't like about a cartoon you like.

Mega

Banned
Calling someone factually incorrect for feeling punched down is not "fair criticism". You would realize this if you spent time listening to and trying to empathize with how they feel instead of getting outraged because someone said something you don't like about a cartoon you like.

You're not gonna let go this outraged, mad, salty and offended nonsense? We're just talking calmly. Grow up and drop this line of argument.

Ekai was not accused of being incorrect over feeling punched down. It was over the 100% wrong remarks that SP is an alt right mouth piece. Let's keep arguing in circles about this.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Why do you think ignoring all good points and going "You're mad" is a shitpost?

What good points? All you've done is belittle anyone that dare not find South Park to be a bastion of political insight that finally gets at those damn millennials and sjws. But yeah, calling everyone's disagreeing posts "shitposts" will totally convince everyone that you guys totally aren't upset.

Veelk

Banned
This topic is gonna get locked if we've been reduced to debating who is shitposting and what constitutes a shitpost.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Only one person said they were factually wrong. You created a Straw Legion where none exists.

Only one group in here is dropping one liners being dismissive without any substance. It's easy to see who is shit posting here and it isn't the people defending South Park.

Mega

Banned
Why is it a shitpost?

Really?

Is this common enough to actually be a problem or this just one of those things that sends straight white dudes into a tizzy because "THE SJW'S"?

They're getting pretty triggered.

No, I remember the dipshits on here last year posting PCPrincipal.jpg in every thread about "sjw's". They're trash.

You mean a joke?

What are you adding other than being inflammatory, reductive and calling out certain Gaffers as assholes and dipshits? And a half dozen juvenile posts telling people they're mad which you won't drop as a talking point. The last post which you called parody (nice backpedal) is not actually parodying anything in this thread. You're reducing the discussion to your simplistic observations that don't relate to what's been said. You wanted people to engage your ridiculous strawman and when no one bit and instead called you out, you devolved to telling us we're all upset.

Herne

Man this thread has gone off-topic. Amy Poehler's Hillary is my favourite, though I didn't find her as horrible to her as Lindsey did. McKinnon's Hillary is great too though. It's very interesting how portrayals of her have changed over the years.

To continue with the off-topicness -

South Park is trash but it's hardcore fans are even worse. They take everything said by that show as gospel

I would consider myself very much a fan of the show and I enjoy their take on things, but taking everything said in the show as gospel? I can only speak for myself (unlike others, apparently) but while I find their viewpoints interesting and I love the way they deliver them, no, I do not see everything they say in the show to be absolutely right.

even though it's all the thoughts of out-of-touch middle aged white dudes

Oh fuck, they're white?! That instantly invalidates anything they have ever said! How dare they use their successful show to express what they think of people and events. Nobody gives a flying fuck what some goddamn white assholes think, do they? And they're middle-aged as well. The gall of these people.

The recent episode on female comedians is one recent example or fans eating up their shit. Oh, Matt and Trey's racist, homophobic mouthpiece named Cartman say women comedians always talk about their vaginas so must be true lol.

I thought Cartman was hilarious in this episode, but not because I thought that it was true. Cartman is the little shit I love to hate, because he's always saying the most horrible things. I've never agreed with anything he's said yet (well, maybe his thoughts on Christian rock bands) and just because he makes me laugh doesn't mean I ever will.

Amy Schumer talked about her vagina in this red carpet event a day after the episode aired. Matt and Trey are geniuses!

What?

The extreme viewpoints some people have in here on the show are interesting, but I think neither side is being particularly classy about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom