• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 1.08 patch notes: POISE IS FIXED?

Ferr986

It says adjusted poise values. The problem is that DS3 poise works, but is totally different than the well know DS1 poise. Adjusting values with the same poise system wouldn't change that.

Dio

Banned
Never understood that stat. What is it supposed to do?

Poise, as it's known in the series, is a stat meant to essentially balance whether you get 'staggered' when hit or just take the hit without flinching.

This is really important re: certain weapons and armor because, well, are you familiar with 'stun locking' where you can just keep attacking and the enemy flinches and attack again and the enemy flinches without any ability to retaliate? Normally, with high poise you can take hits without flinching and basically attack someone while being hit.

DS3's poise system is completely fucked so even wearing Havel's Armor, the heaviest and most damage resistant armor in the game, is worthless because you still can easily get stunlocked in it.

I guess it depends on your definition of news. If this counts, then there could be a thread for every patch.

Poise being worked on is far more important than the rest of the patch notes IMO. It's on the level of "X game finally got that thing that was wrong with it for months and months fixed here's a PSA" rather than generic patch notes.

LiK

If I can actually wear Havel's armor and not get staggered so easily, then they will be redeemed. Heavy armor is so useless in DkS3 with lack of poise.

Robiin

Never understood that stat. What is it supposed to do?
Every piece of armor has a poise value. When you rause poise, you raise the amount of damage you can take before hit stun takes effect. This means that with enough poise, you could get hit but not be interrupted. Say you start a swing, if you take a small hit your attack would still continue.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
For the last time, poise is not and was not broken or bugged. In DS3, it only works with certain heavy weapons and acts like hyper armor, only activating during your active frames. Just because it didn't work like DS1 doesn't make it bugged. Just because you can't poise chug doesn't make it broken.

Is it counter-intuitive that poise is an armor stat that's only activated based on your weapon? Hell yes. Was this From's intention? We have no reason to believe it's not. Was it a good decison? Probably not, but that's besides the point. Whatever the patch changes about poise is irrelevant. Tired of that broken poise myth.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Looking at the rest of the fixes... just how much goddamn broken was this combat system, Jesus...!?

I guess it depends on your definition of news. If this counts, then there could be a thread for every patch.

Any game that receives a patch that features any significant changes will almost assuredly receive a thread, yes.

We don't know if it's making its return. That's why this thread is incredibly misleading. The patch notes just say they're rebalancing the poise system.

There is a poise system that exists already.

It's not misleading. There's a question mark at the end.

Unai

Finally! Let's see if heavy armor is now viable. If it is, I'll start the DLC with a new build.

Thread whining is so annoying. If you have a problem with a thread existing, it's better to contact a mod than posting about in the thread itself.

Surely the most-heavily requested feature making its return is a bit of a stand-out event?
We don't know if it's making its return. That's why this thread is incredibly misleading. The patch notes just say they're rebalancing the poise system.

The thread title says "POISE IS FIXED?" when poise isn't broken, just different. It's going to make people think that DS1 poise is coming back when that's incredibly unlikely.

Soulflarz

Banned

...there....was?
Iirc it was literally a boolean turned off at launch, meaning any change for us having poise would imply they finally turned it on.

Dio

Banned

Making heavy armor more effective, like was mentioned in the OP re: poise is already a step in the right direction.

Getting staggered by the weakest enemies in the game wearing full fucking Havel's is just wrong.

Dahaka

• Fixed a bug where rolling attacks on Astora's Greatsword could not be parried.

eheheh

I only became aware of this recently. I often avoid rolling attacks because quite a few invaders are very experienced. Should have gotten those bastards earlier with this knowledge. :D

Why are you so concerned about a new thread?

I am glad the thread is here.....I don't follow the OT and I am excited for this patch and the DLC.

...there....was?
Iirc it was literally a boolean turned off at launch, meaning any change for us having poise would imply they finally turned it on.

Making heavy armor more effective, like was mentioned in the OP re: poise is already a step in the right direction.

Getting staggered by the weakest enemies in the game wearing full fucking Havel's is just wrong.

Here is how poise works now. Any changes will almost assuredly fit within this system.

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Poise

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
If it wasn't for this thread, I would still be oblivious to the fact that Darks Souls 3 DLC COMES OUT NEXT WEEK DAFUQ?!

I never liked the poise system in the first Dark Souls, so I much preferred the "broken" system in DS3. Hyperarmor during certain attacks is a much better system for pvp than OP DS1 poise in my opinion. I hope the patch doesn't change it too much.

The poise system has been one of the most controversial issues of DS3, so this definitely deserves a new thread

Unai

I never liked the poise system in the first Dark Souls, so I much preferred the "broken" system in DS3. Hyperarmor during certain attacks is a much better system for pvp than OP DS1 poise in my opinion. I hope the patch doesn't change it too much.

The poise system has been one of the most controversial issues of DS3, so this definitely deserves a new thread

I kind of agree with you, but the poise system in DS3 is not like the Hyperarmor in DS2 either, so there's that. Let's see if these new changes will make it more useful.

So I read through the notes and there are some more interesting tidbits.

Attack animations of hammers, axes and greatswords have all been improved. This is huge for me. I loved greatswords in 2 but had to abandon them in 3 due to their slowness compared to other weapons. Will this finally make the Claymore viable again? Improved axe animations (together with longer duration of Warcry weapon art) is huge as well. I had a blast with the battle axe, until I had to abandon it at higher soul levels as it was getting severely outclassed by other weapons. (It was both weaker AND slower than many straight swords). Would love to go back to using it again. I switched to using greataxes and greathammers instead. I wonder if these are affected by improvements to axe and hammer animations.

Anyway, axe and greatsword animation buff could definitely be huge for me.

Heh, now they fix it after I platinumed the game 3 months ago...

This might be a good thread to ask:

- are you going to start a NG when the DLC + Poise hits or are you continuing your NG++ char?

Me? I am continuing my NG++ char. Gimme that NG++ scaled DLC area. I ain't afraid of that!

Despera

Banned
• Fixed a bug where rolling attacks on Astora's Greatsword could not be parried.

eheheh

I only became aware of this recently. I often avoid rolling attacks because quite a few invaders are very experienced. Should have gotten those bastards earlier with this knowledge. :D
A lot of PvP players have become too experienced parrying the Gotthard Twinswords roll attack, so I decided to use them and instead of rolling and attacking immediately I would just roll a random amount and then attack. Was hilarious.

I have a feeling they'll nerd these weapons in one way or the other.

Havel

It's not going back to DS1-style poise, but from the sounds of it they are doing either:

a). Reducing the startup frames for hyper armour/poise to take affect when you swing your weapon.

b). Simply increasing the amount of poise and HA on armour and weapons (this would be really shit and not help anything).

c). A combination of the two.

Parsnip

I don't imagine this "fixes" it the way people are expecting. It will still probably work as a hyperarmor, just with adjusted values.

66120821.jpg

Mman235

Sounds like the major revision patches both Dark Souls 1 and 2 got before their DLC, so good; hopefully, like those, things a way more even now.

Yeah tell me about it... Reinstalled Windows and lost my save because I assumed it had steam cloud... 😑

25 hours later and I've speed run back to the end of the game finally.

DS1 has it, DS2, SOTFS and DS3 don't. lol

I too, lost my save because of this shit. Probably not even gonna buy the DLC because I don't feel like doing everything again.

Top Bottom