• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 1.08 patch notes: POISE IS FIXED?

AALLx

Might this be preparation for the 3 vs. 3 battles? It'll be mighty unpleasant to get stun-locked by 3 people attacking simultaneously, this would most likely be one of their solutions for balancing that out.

AU Tiger

So I read through the notes and there are some more interesting tidbits.

Attack animations of hammers, axes and greatswords have all been improved. This is huge for me. I loved greatswords in 2 but had to abandon them in 3 due to their slowness compared to other weapons. Will this finally make the Claymore viable again? Improved axe animations (together with longer duration of Warcry weapon art) is huge as well. I had a blast with the battle axe, until I had to abandon it at higher soul levels as it was getting severely outclassed by other weapons. (It was both weaker AND slower than many straight swords). Would love to go back to using it again. I switched to using greataxes and greathammers instead. I wonder if these are affected by improvements to axe and hammer animations.

Anyway, axe and greatsword animation buff could definitely be huge for me.

Aside from poise, this was my biggest gripe with DS3. The combat was sped up so enemies were hitting faster but the attack speed of the heavier weapons remained the same so they were less effective options both from an attack speed perspective but also a damage perspective (I played through the game back when the dark sword was OP as hell).

Speeding up the attack animations of the heavy weapons would be better for me vs just a straight damage buff... at least it seems it would be that way.

9ezLWC3.jpg

Damn you FromSoft, I thought I was done with DS3 for now so I started playing The Witcher 3. But now I feel like playing DS3 again. Arrgh!

Only took 6 months. Based A team does it again.

But "A" team made BB and "B" team made DS3? As if the teams weren't relatively interchangeable anyway. O

Or that's my understanding of it at least. That A Team made DS1 then moved onto a new IP in Bloodborne while team B made DS2 then moved onto DS3. I kinda assumed that due to parts of DS3 feeling a little rushed or underdeveloped.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
It says adjusted poise values. The problem is that DS3 poise works, but is totally different than the well know DS1 poise. Adjusting values with the same poise system wouldn't change that.

This is my take-away as well. I imagine this update will just slightly modify certain parameters of the counter-intuitive and (in my opinion) ill-conceived poise system that already exists in Dark Souls III rather than entirely overhaul it to (again, in my opinion) what it should be, a more balanced version of poise as implemented in Dark Souls.

ZangBa

I wouldn't get too excited over this. It sounds like the hyper armor might start a few frames earlier or something. DS1 poise mechanics were always wack, I wouldn't expect that to ever come back.

Aside from poise, this was my biggest gripe with DS3. The combat was sped up so enemies were hitting faster but the attack speed of the heavier weapons remained the same so they were less effective options both from an attack speed perspective but also a damage perspective (I played through the game back when the dark sword was OP as hell).

Speeding up the attack animations of the heavy weapons would be better for me vs just a straight damage buff... at least it seems it would be that way.

In my experience, super heavy weapons were viable thanks to hyperarmour. And small fast weapons were viable as well. But mid-size weapons, which weren't large enough to get hyperamour and not small enough to be super quick (straight swords and smaller), were useless.

...there....was?
Iirc it was literally a boolean turned off at launch, meaning any change for us having poise would imply they finally turned it on.

In short:

Poise only activates during certain frames on certain weapons, so it's 0 most of the time, but it toggles to 1 during those frames. (The so called hyperarmor)

What does that mean? that you can get staggered during hyperarmor if the attack brokes your poise during those frames (thus making it not really an hyperarmor in the usual DS1 style).

It's not going back to DS1-style poise, but from the sounds of it they are doing either:

a). Reducing the startup frames for hyper armour/poise to take affect when you swing your weapon.

b). Simply increasing the amount of poise and HA on armour and weapons (this would be really shit and not help anything).

c). A combination of the two.

My guess, heavy armor will give more poise, than now and light armor even less poise, while some weapons will make more poise dmg. So only light armor dudes can't get the full bvenefit of hyperarmor and makes heavy armor useful.

Heh, now they fix it after I platinumed the game 3 months ago...

This might be a good thread to ask:

- are you going to start a NG when the DLC + Poise hits or are you continuing your NG++ char?

Me? I am continuing my NG++ char. Gimme that NG++ scaled DLC area. I ain't afraid of that!

I left my character at the end of NG and am waiting for all the DLC to be out before starting NG+.

Learnt my lesson from Bloodborne DLC.

Is the greatsword animation improvement actually something, or should I not get my hopes up?

Edit: Oh wait it's only greatsword and thus probably not ultra-greatsword; no reason to bother with hope, per usual.

Persona7

Banned
But "A" team made BB and "B" team made DS3? As if the teams weren't relatively interchangeable anyway. O

Or that's my understanding of it at least. That A Team made DS1 then moved onto a new IP in Bloodborne while team B made DS2 then moved onto DS3. I kinda assumed that due to parts of DS3 feeling a little rushed or underdeveloped.

Most of the same people who made Dark Souls 2 moved directly onto Bloodborne according to the credits. The team concept isn't really a thing.

Lightning spears viable as a pve build now?

I had beaten the game as a strength build, played a faith build until I got lightning spear, proceeded to do less damage than a melee swing with the spear...

Feel like Dark Souls is the only one that got magic/melee balance right. Dark Souls 2 magic was way too overnerfed in the expansion content.

Lightning spears viable as a pve build now?

I had beaten the game as a strength build, played a faith build until I got lightning spear, proceeded to do less damage than a melee swing with the spear...

Feel like Dark Souls is the only one that got magic/melee balance right. Dark Souls 2 magic was way too overnerfed in the expansion content.

At 50-60 FTH? Yes.

I'd say around 40 you are doing decent damage, sadly best miracle spells are in the endgame anyway.

Neoweee

Most of the same people who made Dark Souls 2 moved directly onto Bloodborne according to the credits. The team concept isn't really a thing.

Yeah. They were able to make 3 major releases + some DLC in 25 months due to overlapping and cycling development teams. They became a hell of a studio once DS1 was released.

I wouldn't get too excited. Doesn't poise just make hyper armor for big weapons' attacks last a little bit longer now?
I doubt they are changing how it works, I would assume at most they are making it so higher poise has a more significant effect on hyper armor.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
At 50-60 FTH? Yes.

I'd say around 40 you are doing decent damage, sadly best miracle spells are in the endgame anyway.

Lightning Stake is amazing and you can get it around the halfway point, from what I remember, but yeah, playing as a cleric in DS3 was somewhat frustrating. You start a playthrough with only Heal and don't find the basic Lightning Spear until several hours (for me, about 7-8) in unless you rush to that location, and its damage at that point is fairly pitiful unless you use it at pointblank range; most offensive miracles are found only very lategame, and some of them don't actually have much utility because they take a ridiculous amount of time to cast (WotG, Pillars of Light); the Blessed infusion is next to useless, especially when you compare it to its equivalent in Demon's Souls; probably some other things that I can't recall at the moment.

To be honest, the highlight of my playthrough was finding the Archdeacon set.

Archdeaconfront.jpg

Top Bottom