• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most games you'll be fine. Anything that is even remotely niche will have stock issues. I would be worried about NieR and Persona.

I don't know that either of those will have stock issues really. Persona especially. Plus Nier is Square's big Q1 game.

I worry more about stuff on the level of niche portable RPGs, or NIS releases, or that sort of thing.

Well now I'm worried.

I mean, they went above and beyond to keep me as a Prime customer when I pointed out their missteps with Gravity Rush 2, so I'm giving them a chance, but I guess I'll see how things go with NieR: Automata first.

kennah

Thanks for all the replies about Freedom!

My phone slipped out of my case for the first time in years and it took a few feet fall and the screen broke. The phone was old anyway so it's in need of a change. However, I have a very good plan with Fido and I don't feel like going back into contract with them but I might have to.

I already have 3 services with Bell and the cheapest plan i can get with them cost me the same as BOTH plan we have with Fido, for LESS data and no Spotify... They are ridiculous.

One+3 does not have a add to cart on the Canada website, just the One+3T but it cost 599$... I just don't know what to do, everything seems terrible! I am eyeing the Huawei Nova plus as a mid-range phone but the review for the camera is not great and camera is my biggest incentive to switch phone.
I've got a spare s4 you could borrow or an iPhone 5 with a broken screen that you could just have.

killroy87

I would actually wait on buying an micro SD card for the Switch until you need one. Unless you're planning on going 100% digital, then you probably should get one immediately, but if you're planning on just going with where is the cheapest place to buy games then you should be able to last a while without upgrading.

With Micro SD cards dropping in price every year (I bought a 32 GB one at Costco for $20 in 2015 and just a month ago bought a 64 GB one from there for $20), I would wait until you need it.

I recently moved around my Wii U games to a smaller hard-drive and I think it's a decent starting point for what to expect for how much space you'll need in the future. I expect on average for Switch games to be a bit bigger than Wii U titles, but it's a good estimate considering the similar sizes for Zelda: BOTW on both Wii U and Switch.

My Wii U Storage Situation:

21 Wii U Disc Games (save games, patches...) = 6,659 MB
13 Eshop Retail Games (Disney Infinity, Donkey Kong, Wonderful 101...) = 78,688 MB
18 Eshop Only Games (Runbow, Child of Light, Guacamelee...) = 14,080 MB
10 Virtual Console Games (Mario 64, Link to the Past, Super Mario World...) = 279 MB
2 Wii Eshop Games (Metroid Prime Trilogy & Mario Galaxy 2) = 8958 MB
5 Console Apps (Netflix, YouTube, Animal Crossing Plaza...) = 858 MB

Total Space Used = 109 GB

Console Space Left (after internal operating system, Wii mode etc...)
32 GB Internal Storage = 4.6 GB left
128 GB usb Storage = 29 GB left

After 4 years of Wii U ownership I really only needed to add a 128 GB usb to my console.

I'm thinking that a 256 Micro SD card is going to be the one that will last me for quite a while on the Switch and something tells me that by the time my 32 GB is filled up they should be considerably cheaper than they are now.

Out of curiosity, what USB drive exactly are you using for Wii U? I remember it being picky about needing a self powered one or something

My BestBuy ship date says March 3rd but release date says March 31st. Super weird. Between my instore Toys R Us pre order being sketchy and now this, I can't say I'm not a LITTLE concerned.

beta_fuse

I hope you guys are right for your sakes, because both mine and my sibling's is still March 3rd. I'm beginning to wonder if people are being shafted to second shipment of Switch.

Just called Best Buy in regards to the change in date for Switch pre-order and the agent told me they got an email saying March 3rd. So there ya go whoever got the email shouldn't be worried according to the lady I spoke to.

My BestBuy ship date says March 3rd but release date says March 31st. Super weird. Between my instore Toys R Us pre order being sketchy and now this, I can't say I'm not a LITTLE concerned.
I still stand by what I said, bestbuy is probably the most reliable online place to order from in terms of getting everything on day one.

killroy87

Yeah, my BB switch says the 31st too, but I'm not worried. BB is actually far and away the most reliable for me.

If it's a week prior to release and it hasn't been updated, then I'll start to worry :p

Looks like Syberia 3 is coming to the Switch Now

GxDFPEi.jpg

Clive

Wow why is PS+ 12 month cards $66, while Xbl Gold is $53

Not sure but the base price for PS+ is $10 higher than for Gold these days which accounts for most of it. The Source also seems to have run out of $50 PS+ cards now. :(

When Nintendo starts charging for online we're gonna look at a yearly ~$200 (assuming Nintendo's prices are similar) for console gamers who play on all three.

iphys

anyone else resorting to a 128GB microsd card for the Nintendo Switch? or is the general consensus is get a 256GB microsd now.

Looking at the Best Buy website and it seems finding a 256GB microsd is not that popular in store.

I remember getting a 512 MB card for $50 that normally retailed for $100 and thinking what a great deal that was back in like 2005, lol. At the rate prices drop, you're better off waiting till you actually need the space before forking over a lot of money for a bigger card. I will use the 32 GB internal space and an old 32 GB card till space runs out before I bother to get a 128 GB, and I won't buy a 256 GB unless I run out of space on the 128 GB.

I remember getting a 512 MB card for $50 that normally retailed for $100 and thinking what a great deal that was back in like 2005, lol. At the rate prices drop, you're better off waiting till you actually need the space before forking over a lot of money for a bigger card. I will use the 32 GB internal space and an old 32 GB card till space runs out before I bother to get a 128 GB, and I won't buy a 256 GB unless I run out of space on the 128 GB.

Went to best buy and you guys are right, i'm going to wait. Bought Dragon Quest VIII instead for the 3ds (might as well use my gift card for something).

Ondore

As much as I'd like to think Xenoblade 2 will cause Switch shortages, I don't think it's localized this year and there's another RPG apparently coming that's more likely to be the problem.

Jinto

The regular 3DS XL isn't valid for the Switch trade in promo, but EB is offering 20% extra trade in credit for consoles if you're a platinum member.

Anyone know the trade in value for a regular 3DS XL?

killroy87

If Xenoblade 2 comes out this year along with Mario Odyssey, then getting a switch during the holidays may be a pain in the ass.....which is why I figured I get one now.

Totally. I try not to even think about Mario Odyssey right now, it'll make the wait unbearable. Need to focus on Zelda!

Totally. I try not to even think about Mario Odyssey right now, it'll make the wait unbearable. Need to focus on Zelda!

agreed. Actually watching the Zelda segment on Nintendo treehouse on YouTube right and to me, it really feels like a Zelda version of the witcher 3 (if that makes sense). Can't wait to sink hours into it.

kaiyo

Thanks for all the replies about Freedom!

My phone slipped out of my case for the first time in years and it took a few feet fall and the screen broke. The phone was old anyway so it's in need of a change. However, I have a very good plan with Fido and I don't feel like going back into contract with them but I might have to.

I already have 3 services with Bell and the cheapest plan i can get with them cost me the same as BOTH plan we have with Fido, for LESS data and no Spotify... They are ridiculous.

One+3 does not have a add to cart on the Canada website, just the One+3T but it cost 599$... I just don't know what to do, everything seems terrible! I am eyeing the Huawei Nova plus as a mid-range phone but the review for the camera is not great and camera is my biggest incentive to switch phone.
What's your current plan?

Sora_N

I have a weird situation. MY BB Gravity Rush was sent to my flex delivery address near my old work but turns out BB shipped Purolator. The tracking says incorrect address.

Should I be calling Purolator or Best Buy?

I have a weird situation. MY BB Gravity Rush was sent to my flex delivery address near my old work but turns out BB shipped Purolator. The tracking says incorrect address.

Should I be calling Purolator or Best Buy?

Purolator first to see if you can schedule a pickup or a delivery to a new location. If Purolator returned back to best buy, call best buy.

Lexxism

anyone else resorting to a 128GB microsd card for the Nintendo Switch? or is the general consensus is get a 256GB microsd now.

Looking at the Best Buy website and it seems finding a 256GB microsd is not that popular in store.
I was actually planning to get a 128gb but someone gave me a free 64gb. So I just went with that. 256gb is too expensive. Go either 128 or 200

Lexxism

The regular 3DS XL isn't valid for the Switch trade in promo, but EB is offering 20% extra trade in credit for consoles if you're a platinum member.

Anyone know the trade in value for a regular 3DS XL?
I think someone mentioned it was $70 but I don't know if that was the base or not.

Possible deal?

Has anyone heard of this game? Little Nightmares?

Amazon.ca has it up for pre-order for only $39.99 if you have prime, but the version they're listing for the price has quite a bit of stuff that comes with it.

According to the website it includes:

six-edition_us.jpg

Looks like pretty decent stuff for the price. I mean, usually this sort of material would be sold closer to 89.99 with the way special editions go nowadays.

Anyone know if the buzz for this game is any good?

edit:

pre-order link from amazon:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N23F3MB/

N° 2048

Possible deal?

Amazon.ca has it up for pre-order for only $39.99 if you have prime, but the version they're listing for the price has quite a bit of stuff that comes with it.

six-edition_us.jpg

Looks like pretty decent stuff for the price. I mean, usually this sort of material would be sold closer to 89.99 with the way special editions go nowadays.

Thanks for this, I'll pre-order in case the price gets higher. Looks like a fun puzzle platformer. I love the art style.

Sora_N

Purolator first to see if you can schedule a pickup or a delivery to a new location. If Purolator returned back to best buy, call best buy.

Purolator said I have to call BB.

Damn I don't even want the game lol.

EDIT: Yeah so BB can't change the address. They said they'll have to wait for the game to be sent back and then I'll be refunded, works for me then. I got the preorder code already and redeemed it but I'll pick up the game later on.

I just checked what I sold my opened copy for in March 2016 and I manged to get $99.99 for it ($87 minus Amazon's sellers fee and shipping).

I would think if you have patience you could certainly get more than $100 for a unopened copy.

I would list it on Amazon if I was you (new copies are apparently $200) and see what you could get for it. Even with the Amazon fee, I imagine you'd be able to make a pretty penny.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00DC7G1WE/

what are the fees like on amazon compared to ebay?

Aonuma

Out of curiosity, what USB drive exactly are you using for Wii U? I remember it being picky about needing a self powered one or something

What I got is a micro USB3 Y-cable for my non-powered external HDD. If you use both of the USB ports on the back it's enough to run a USB-powered external HDD.

What I got is a micro USB3 Y-cable for my non-powered external HDD. If you use both of the USB ports on the back it's enough to run a USB-powered external HDD.
Every single store I looked at to get a Y cable looked at me like I was a damn madman, opted just to get one off amazon.

BTW can anyone verify if my local EB manager is full of shit? I was told if I trade in games and get the double credit that I won't be allowed to move it over at a later date to something else, also that even if when the item releases that if I were to refund the item what was extra credit would be removed? Like they retroactively take back credit, is this actually a thing?

Today, a massive chunk of Pre-Orders for Gravity Rush 2 went unfulfilled by Amazon due 'stock' issues, despite many of the users having pre-ordered from at least September November...

hell, i preordered in june! how'm i supposed to take seriously an email saying they'll be filling orders on a 'first-come, first-serve' basis? i mean, did they receive no copies whatsoever? cuz if last june wasn't 'first-come' enough, when the hell was? :) ...

hell, i preordered in june! how'm i supposed to take seriously an email saying they'll be filling orders on a 'first-come, first-serve' basis? i mean, did they receive no copies whatsoever? cuz if last june wasn't 'first-come' enough, when the hell was? :) ...

Goddamn, that bad?

I mean, I'm essentially getting 60-90% off when all the promo credits, discounts, etc are said and done, but I'm gonna have to go to a brick & mortar Bestbuy or EB Games to get P5 and NieR Automata on release day aren't I?

Sealtest

I'm starting to worry if I should trust amazon with getting me my Digimon preorder or if I should just go with best buy... I'm afraid Amazon will screw me on my preorder dlc.

Edit - How has amazon been lately with giving out preorder dlc codes?

Every single store I looked at to get a Y cable looked at me like I was a damn madman, opted just to get one off amazon.

BTW can anyone verify if my local EB manager is full of shit? I was told if I trade in games and get the double credit that I won't be allowed to move it over at a later date to something else, also that even if when the item releases that if I were to refund the item what was extra credit would be removed? Like they retroactively take back credit, is this actually a thing?

What store?

Once you pick up an item there's no way for them to tell what you traded in for it. The receipt simply shows presell deposit as the payment method plus any other payment method you use.

If this restriction you were told were true, I wonder how they would even enforce it.

Goddamn, that bad?

I mean, I'm essentially getting 60-90% off when all the promo credits, discounts, etc are said and done, but I'm gonna have to go to a brick & mortar Bestbuy or EB Games to get P5 and NieR Automata on release day aren't I?

not necessarily. i think it just might be largely a gravity rush issue. i'd completely forgotten (since i imported) that they never did do a physical release of the ps4 gravity rush remaster for canada (smh)...

Ryne

not necessarily. i think it just might be largely a gravity rush issue. i'd completely forgotten (since i imported) that they never did do a physical release of the ps4 gravity rush remaster for canada (smh)...

I should have bought that when I had the chance. It's up to nearly 200 now on ebay.

GR2 arrived on release day for me from BB, amazon just isn't as good sometimes (even though I usually don't have problems with them either).

Moltenix

What store?

Once you pick up an item there's no way for them to tell what you traded in for it. The receipt simply shows presell deposit as the payment method plus any other payment method you use.

If this restriction you were told were true, I wonder how they would even enforce it.

Yep, pretty sure this is how their system is set up.

Obviously, they're not going to want to tell you that it works or else trade promos might get abused more often. If a certain store is giving you a hard time, simply purchase the preordered item and return it. Once you've bought something, they can't deny you a return if it's unopened.

Luigi87

Possible deal?

[.IMG]http://static.bandainamcogames.eu/sites_products/little-nightmares/2-xp/uploads/2017/01/six-edition_us.jpg[/IMG]

edit:

pre-order link from amazon:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N23F3MB/

That's the correct price. Well, it could go up to like $45 I guess.
It retails for $34.99 in the US ($19.99 USD for the digital version).

What store?

EB games.

I wondered the same thing, he said they'd look back at the trade history or some shit like that and roll it back but it sounds like hogwash personally. I kept saying it was "weird", and he'd refute by saying it's not weird because I'm trading in for X so if I don't get X why should I get to keep the extra credit? But the stock of switch stuff that's available is all crap I don't want minus zelda which I can get cheaper on amazon anyways.

Ventara

I should have bought that when I had the chance. It's up to nearly 200 now on ebay.

Are you for real? I was thinking of getting rid of mine and getting a new copy since I bought it used and the cover is slightly dented, but I guess I'll just hang on to it now. No way I'm paying $200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom