• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh embargo lifts on February 2nd (+ game size)

xuchu

I can see some reviewers not really understanding the game. Expecting mid 70's to low 80's metascore as well. Still day 1 purchase.

ekgrey

tumblr_nnp4hwflLl1rrgzpmo1_500.gif

Oh yeah..let's do this. I'm predicting mid-high 80s review wise. Based on my time with the last chance demo, i'd easily give it an 86-88

This isn't from the game, is it?

I wonder how many reviews will compare it to Souls a bit too much given that most have played the game and can see exactly where the similarities start and end.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The game isn't really very anime at all, based on what we've seen. Especially by the developer's standards.

Every Team ninja game has gotten progressively less 'anime' based from DOA 1 onward aesthetic wise, but it was only after Itagaki left that it become only a consequence of the series in question(aka DOA and NG always had some elements of anime in them) and did not dictate Team ninja's vision thankfully

Hastati

Every Team ninja game has gotten progressively less 'anime' based from DOA 1 onward aesthetic wise, but it was only after Itagaki left that it become only a consequence of the series in question(aka DOA and NG always had some elements of anime in them) and did not dictate Team ninja's vision thankfully

Yeah, I'm glad that they were more reserved in their character designs (except for the main antagonist I guess?) in Nioh. DOA is inescapably what it is.

I do kinda think they need to work on color balance or something, I can't articulate it well but the beta lingers in my mind as a few muddy swaths of red and brown. I loved it but not quite there yet in environmental artistic direction IMO. The map design was fine tho.

Yeah, I'm glad that they were more reserved in their character designs (except for the main antagonist I guess?) in Nioh. DOA is inescapably what it is.

I do kinda think they need to work on color balance or something, I can't articulate it well but the beta lingers in my mind as a few muddy swaths of red and brown. I loved it but not quite there yet in environmental artistic direction IMO. The map design was fine tho.

Yeah, I really hope there are some colorful stages in the full game.

gow3isben

I played Bloodborne and finished it, finished the New Game+ mode, and finished all the chalice dungeons. And I got sick of it by the end and really don't want to do something like that again. It isn't just the difficulty but the dull and dreary environment that really makes me cringe at going through something like that again. And Nioh seems the same. This game has to review real well and also show that it has a legitimate story and character arc for me to buy it as opposed to Bloodborne'e cryptic symbolic rubbish of a plot that hooked everyone seemingly except for me.

Kudo

I played Bloodborne and finished it, finished the New Game+ mode, and finished all the chalice dungeons. And I got sick of it by the end and really don't want to do something like that again. It isn't just the difficulty but the dull and dreary environment that really makes me cringe at going through something like that again. And Nioh seems the same. This game has to review real well and also show that it has a legitimate story and character arc for me to buy it as opposed to Bloodborne'e cryptic symbolic rubbish of a plot that hooked everyone seemingly except for me.

We've already seen more cutscene trailers than whole Souls/Borne games have in total, so wouldn't worry about the game not having proper story.

eyesradar

Really wanted to know if the NA/PAL retail would include all language options like alpha or beta or it'll be like the last chance trial that only contains NA/EU options.

Freeman76

I can see some reviewers not really understanding the game. Expecting mid 70's to low 80's metascore as well. Still day 1 purchase.

It could get mid 70's even if reviewers do 'understand' the game, as you put it. So much arrogance around these 'soul like' games, like there are only a few people who get them or some shit.

Begaria

It could get mid 70's even if reviewers do 'understand' the game, as you put it. So much arrogance around these 'soul like' games, like there are only a few people who get them or some shit.

I watched a lot of alpha/beta videos from various youtubers.

A lot of them didn't even know what Ki Pulsing was, and even a few of those who knew what Ki Pulsing was, didn't even know what Ki Fluxing meant. I highly doubt the average game reviewer is going to figure that out. I saw some people try to play it like a Souls game and get wrecked or miss out on the deeper mechanics Nioh has to offer during the combat.

I watched a lot of alpha/beta videos from various youtubers.

A lot of them didn't even know what Ki Pulsing was, and even a few of those who knew what Ki Pulsing was, didn't even know what Ki Fluxing meant. I highly doubt the average game reviewer is going to figure that out. I saw some people try to play it like a Souls game and get wrecked or miss out on the deeper mechanics Nioh has to offer during the combat.

Did not play the demo. What is fluxing ?

Not too sure where the pessimism comes from, most articles and videos from game sites that got to try out Nioh over the course of last year have been positive.

And in the latest preview we saw but didn't get to play, somehow everyone was cued in on Ki pulsing and stance change.

xuchu

Lol, ok. Tons of people in the last chance trial thread couldn't see what makes nioh more than just a 'souls like'. This is not arrogance, just what we've seen time and time again due to preconceived notions of souls games, how they play and what that entails. This is exemplified when people say they are fatigued of souls so they're not interested in Nioh, failing to see to see how many things they've added combat that makes a lot of us excited. I really do hope reviewers will engage in combat mechanics and see what it brings for arpg genre. Most probably will but I can certainly see some simply not using ki pulse for the entire game. And then there will be those that hate the complexity and favor the simplicity of souls combat, that's ok as it's just a difference of opinion. Reviewers admittedly have very little time to finish the game and get a well rounded opinion and it's always hard to play a game under those circumstances with harsh time constraints. Hey, if they pour a ton of time and effort into the game, understand the mechanics and give it 7, that's totally cool. It's still a good score and I can certainly see criticisms in terms of graphics and repetitiveness being valid. The problem lies in people that give it a superficial look, treat it as just another souls game and review it as such. But hey, I care more about the content of the reviews than scores or numbers.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Have a 50 bucks gift card from amazon ready to go for this game.

After the first demo I'm pretty sure Team Ninja is back with a vengeance.

I've never thought about it before, mostly because I've never looked forward to reviews in ages, but when they say the embargo lifts on 2-Feb, whose time zone are we going by lol ?

Because 2-Feb in Japan is like in 3 hours...

I really don't get the Souls comparisons. Does every difficult action rpg = souls now? The combat plays nothing like Souls. I see the influences sure but anyone who played the demo clearly knows this isn't Soulsborne.

Ratrat

I really don't get the Souls comparisons. Does every difficult action rpg = souls now? The combat plays nothing like Souls. I see the influences sure but anyone who played the demo clearly knows this isn't Soulsborne.
Amrita, shrines, enemies respawning, fog gates, most of the items. Even ignoring the combat which CAN be played to look like a Soulsclone, there are a lot of similarities.

Anything with stamina is Souls now.

People had described For Honor as "like Souls but-".

What are the environments like?

I didn't get a chance to play any of the demos, but watched a few playthroughs on youtube and from everything I saw it all looked very samey and videogamey - like rock corridors and empty houses, and colour-wise it was all very murky dark red/grey. I'm wondering about diversity of area designs etc.

Rang my local store and they said they arent sure when they are going to get their shipment because the game comes out on a Wednesday in the UK.God dam i hope its saturday as usual D:!

burgerdog

Amrita, shrines, enemies respawning, fog gates, most of the items. Even ignoring the combat which CAN be played to look like a Soulsclone, there are a lot of similarities.

Dying and leaving your exp on the spot, come on now. This is as Souls-like as it can possibly get.

Top Bottom