• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Polygon] Oculus lawsuit ends with half billion dollar judgment awarded to ZeniMax

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
top kek ( ͡ ° ͜ʖ ͡°) is facebook getting rid of him now?

Duxxy3

Holy shit. Will Oculus stay in business after that sort of loss? I know they're owned by Facebook, but that's a huge settlement.

Apathy

They originally asked for 2 billion and got 500 million. It's a shit ton of money but I wonder if they are satisfied only getting 500m

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They originally asked for 2 billion and got 500 million. It's a shit ton of money but I wonder if they are satisfied only getting 500m

ZeniMax isn't a huge company. They can do a lot with that, and got paid for a business line they had no interest in following.

That doesn't seem like that much.

Much more than Oculus is currently worth lol (If we go off of sales, and not what it was purchased for). Zenimax wasn't going to do anything with it either. Effectively Zenimax just got a huge profit from doing jack all.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Christ that's a lot

Could have been worse though considering the whole stolen assets debacle

Not really. AFAIK Carmack took a bunch of shit with him from Zenimax to Oculus. That's bullshit no matter how you slice it.

Yes, but $500 million? I doubt the entire id company was bought for that price, I would say much less.

Hell, do you think the profits of Oculus are near that amount? They haven't sold a lot of units.

Not really. AFAIK Carmack took a bunch of shit with him from Zenimax to Oculus. That's bullshit no matter how you slice it.

The part I don't understand is why award 500mil in damages if you didn't actually misappropriate trade secrets? I thought that was the whole thrust of the suit.

Maxinas

That one guy who hates both of these companies must be jolly right now. Oculus got screwed out of 500M and ZeniMax only got 12.5% of what they initially wanted.

Vaporak

You might want to reread the OP:

The jury also said that Oculus did not misappropriate trade secrets as contended by ZeniMax

The jury seems to disagree with you and with Zenimax, so legally no Carmack didn't.

kadab

Zenimax HQ
n59dQcO9yaaaY.gif

If Carmack didn't take anything why did Zenimax get paid? I thought Carmack taking his work from Zenimax to Oculus was the brunt of the suit.

Oculus got off relatively lightly considering just how much ZeniMax was asking for.

That said for a company like ZeniMax $500 million is a massive cash influx for them. They can do a hell of a lot with that kind of money.

Jarmel

Banned
Seems like a win-win. Zenimax got money for something they didn't spend a dime on other than the laywers. Oculus gets to claim they didn't misapropriate trade secrets and also aren't dinged too heavily.

The only loser was Facebook. lol

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
So Oculus losing half a Bil... with a big company like Facebook hoping to recoup their investment in the company, I could see Oculus (or parts of Oculus) getting sold, especially with competition so fierce.

marrec

Banned
That one guy who hates both of these companies must be jolly right now. Oculus got screwed out of 500M and ZeniMax only got 12.5% of what they initially wanted.

Zenimax is valued at just over 2.5bn so 500m ain't nothing to sneeze at.

Top Bottom