• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Polygon] Oculus lawsuit ends with half billion dollar judgment awarded to ZeniMax

poodaddy

Wish they would of won at least two bil to really jab Facebook in the wallet but I'm glad Zenimax pulled the V though. Fuck Luckey and fuck Facebook, bigoted fucks.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
For anyone saying that Zenimax didn't get what they wanted because they asked for 4 Billion - lawyers ask for the absolute maximum amount they can without being tossed out of court for it, so they never think they're actually going to get it. 500 mil ain't no joke and Zenimax is cheering right now.

Hmm, so Oculus didn't misappropriate trade secrets, but they still have to pay...?

Of the $500 million, Oculus is paying out $200 million for breaking the NDA and $50 million for copyright infringement. Oculus and Luckey each have to pay $50 million for false designation. And Iribe has to pay $150 million for the same, final count.

OK but... what NDA? What copyright? What false designation? I don't understand what they're guilty of exactly.

Hmm, so Oculus didn't misappropriate trade secrets, but they still have to pay...?

OK but... what NDA? What copyright? What false designation? I don't understand what they're guilty of exactly.

Story was put up quickly and they've been updating it. I'd expect more details to come out soon.

Ocaso

How is anyone saying this isn't a ridiculous amount of money? It's $500 million! You could give $1 million to every person in America from that and have money over $100 million left over. It's a colossal victory for Zenimax, particularly given how vehemently and smugly Facebook argued against any wrongdoing and how they likely overvalued Oculus initially.

This is crazy, as far as I can figure out the NDA Palmer Luckey broke was showing off Doom 3 BFG running in VR. The thing is, that was *after* John Carmack had already shown it off to the press at a trade show. While OK, that may be considered breaking the NDA (though Palmer Luckey obviously thought it would be OK since the public had already seen it), it's such an edge case $500 million seems quite a bit of overkill to me. Unless Zenimax proved they lost $500 million worth of value by that act...

Vandole

How is anyone saying this isn't a ridiculous amount of money? It's $500 million! You could give $1 million to every person in America from that and have money over $100 million left over. It's a colossal victory for Zenimax, particularly given how vehemently and smugly Facebook argued against any wrongdoing and how they likely overvalued Oculus initially.

Math isn't your strong suit is it?

Lol what!?

I thought most accusations were towards Carmack misappropriating trade secrets, so why is Luckey getting the blame?

Figured this would rule in Zeni's favor.

What on Earth?

True Fire

giphy.gif

NeoGAF needs to bring back the laughing smiley just for this post.

59978088.jpg

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Lmao this is a joke right? Is America's population 399 people? Damn I thought it was at least 500.

keraj37

I am just thinking... They should create special $500 million budget for fixing bugs in Elder Scrolls VI and Fallout 5. Yep, that is what they should do.

marrec

Banned
Lmao this is a joke right? Is America's population 399 people? Damn I thought it was at least 500.

There's only 399 people in America that matter and I get to choose them to distribute ZeniMax's settlement and I DO take bribes and flattery.

Alienous

O-inferno-de-contar-a-gravidez-por-semana.gif

As gamers here on GAF I don't understand the vitriol towards Oculus, how is the wishing for the failure of a critical player in the VR space a good thing?

I understand not liking Palmer for some of his extra-curricular views, but Oculus and FB have - as far as I recall - specifically distanced themselves from those views and largely from Palmer.

I'm just glad this didn't (fingers crossed) bury Oculus and one third of the VR industry right now.

Wollan

Which part of the payout does John Carmack fall under (if any) ?
Iribe must not have played clean considering the $150m from his part alone.

Lifeline

Guys it's obviously a reference to that one meme.

mrw-im-trying-to-figure-out-a-bagging-plan-for-a-customers-large-order-of-groceries-140999.gif

neilyadig

meanwhile, every publication is breaking the news that FB revenue has jumped 51%

I know its earnings today and probably just funny timing but what will people be talking about? we know people can't focus on two things at once.

screenshot:
JCcjDjj.png

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
In turn, Facebook will just write-down the value of the asset and get tax credit.

Peltz

Oculus got off relatively lightly considering just how much ZeniMax was asking for.

That said for a company like ZeniMax $500 million is a massive cash influx for them. They can do a hell of a lot with that kind of money.

You always high-ball the damages you want. Chances are this was a total victory for ZM.

hard_math.png.scaled500.png

Alienous

As gamers here on GAF I don't understand the vitriol towards Oculus, how is the wishing for the failure of a critical player in the VR space a good thing?

I understand not liking Palmer for some of his extra-curricular views, but Oculus and FB have - as far as I recall - specifically distanced themselves from those views and largely from Palmer.

I'm just glad this didn't (fingers crossed) bury Oculus and one third of the VR industry right now.

It seems like VR is much bigger that Oculus now anyway. They pioneered it but it isn't hard to imagine VR thriving in their absence, not that I want them to fail.

Top Bottom