• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZeniMax asks court to block sales of Oculus headsets

aeolist

Banned
http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/24/14734926/zenimax-injunction-block-sale-of-oculus-vr

“The jury's damage award here, however substantial, is an insufficient incentive for Defendants to cease infringing,” ZeniMax said in court documents. “Just minutes after the jury revealed its verdict, Facebook's COO, Sheryl Sandberg, publicly stated that the jury's verdict of a half billion dollars was ‘not material to [Facebook's] financials.'”

ZeniMax's injunction intends to block the sale and distribution of any Oculus products that use its copyrighted code. That includes, but is not limited to, system software for Oculus PC and mobile products, as well as Oculus integration with the Unreal Engine and Unity Game Engine. The injunction could impact not only Oculus and the sale of Rift hardware, but developers working on software for the virtual reality platform.

fuck facebook/oculus but that last bit sucks for devs

iMax

Facebook's COO, Sheryl Sandberg, publicly stated that the jury's verdict of a half billion dollars was ‘not material to [Facebook's] financials.'"

Wow. No wonder ZeniMax is doing this. Stay classy, Facebook.

1upsuper

If I'm understanding this correctly, the plaintiff claims that the money FB owes for illegally using the plaintiff's code is only a drop in the bucket given FB's financials and a proper punishment would be discontinuing the sale of the product altogether?

aeolist

Banned
If I'm understanding this correctly, the litigant claims that the money FB owes for illegally using the litigant's code is only a drop in the bucket and a proper punishment would be discontinuing the sale of the product altogether?

they have a very fat judgement and are probably just trying to wring an even fatter settlement/patent license from facebook. this injunction is a very big stick to hold over their heads.

I thought the court already agreed that no stolen code was used in the Oculus development and only a broken NDA was agreed upon.
That's what I understood as well, but the injunction mentions copyrighted code as a reason to block sales. Which, as far as I remember, wasn't proven.

Mr Git

Less money in that cunt Luckey's pocket is good all round really. Oh well. Maybe the next VR entrepreneur will be less of an absolute wank.

Matt

The point of blocking the sales isn't to kill the Rift, it's to get FB to pay Zenimax (either a flat fee, per unit, or both) to have the block lifted.

ezekial45

Banned
Hypothetically, if this goes through then it could do a damage to the VR medium. Vive is incredibly, and PSVR only works on PS4, so Oculus is the only real option most people have on PC to get access to VR gaming. I hope this doesn't come to pass, even though Oculus totally fucked on this. I don't want VR to sink because of this.

Armaros

but for breaking NDA

no, they found them guilty of breaking NDA and breaking copyright. 50 million of the verdict was from copyright infringement.

the only thing they absolved them of, was stealing trade secrets, which is not the same as breaking copyright. This entire new thing is based on the ruling with regard to the copyright infringement.

Protome

the jury found for the plaintiffs (zenimax)

Not across the board, none of the copyright or stolen code claims were found in their favour.

As a result, I expect this won't happen. Zenimax probably just felt they had to try.

Edit: As mentioned below, I'm wrong. ignore me!

Not across the board, none of the copyright or stolen code claims were found in their favour.

As a result, I expect this won't happen. Zenimax probably just felt they had to try.

You're wrong. $50m of the award was because of copyright violations. They did, in fact, find that Oculus stole code.

What you're confusing is that the jury didn't find them guilty of stealing trade secrets, which is a different thing.

Honestly hope this goes through.

Given what a bunch of shitheads the Oculus higher ups are, and there being both a better PC option available with the Vive and more affordable products in PSVR and mobile phone dock headsets, the whole company getting shuttered would have no real downsides.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I'm on Oculus side on this, despite Luckey being a complete fuckstick.

NDA's and Non-compete type agreements are bullshit when used against people like this.

ZeniMax is making out like a bandit from the ideas of people who left their company. Oculus took the risk that ZeniMax didn't want to take.. and now that Oculus got bought for billions.. Zeni is jealous and using the NDAs against them.

They never truly proved Oculus out-right used their code.

So they won for somehow still owning the minds of people who left their company. Fuck that shit.

Armaros

NDA's and Non-compete type agreements are bullshit when used against people like this.

ZeniMax is making out like a bandit from the ideas of people who left their company. Oculus took the risk that ZeniMax didn't want to take.. and now that Oculus got bought for billions.. Zeni is jealous and using the NDAs against them.

They lost on the part of proving Oculus stole code.

So they won for somehow still owning the minds of people who left their company. Fuck that shit.

Oculus was found guilty of copyright infringment with Zenimax code.

The only thing they were found not guilty was the stealing trade secrets.

its in the article in the OP. You can read it.

120v

How many Oculus users are even there at this point? Seems everyone on PSVR/Vive

nothing definitive out there but it seems rift is roughly about 30% of the high end vr market. vive kind of ate its lunch but it's still a player, future of VR still has a lot riding on it

Matt

This is not an accurate interpretation of events.

They lost on the part of proving Oculus stole code.

Once again, no, they did not. Zenimax was specifically awarded $50m for copyright infringement stemming from instances of Oculus stealing code.

That is specifically why Zenimax is making this motion. The judgement affirmed that Oculus did steal code and assigned damages for that theft in Oculus' past business dealings. Their ongoing business is going to continue infringing upon Zenimax's copyright until they either strike a licensing deal to pay Zenimax for the code stolen on an ongoing basis, to have that finding overturned on appeal, or assemble a cleanroom team that can rewrite the infringing areas in such a way as to remove the stolen code.

Can anyone confirm this person had their user title before this gem or is the one that did it.

Jebusman

Banned

Earlier this month, a Dallas, Texas jury awarded $500 million in damages to ZeniMax after finding that Oculus co-founder Palmer Luckey, and by extension Oculus, failed to comply with a non-disclosure agreement. Of that total amount, ZeniMax was awarded $50 million for copyright infringement.

I mean at least read the article.

Top Bottom