• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America Issues Statement on Stolen Switch Systems

My opinion is no one steals new tech and sells it to a random person. Hiphop said he was low on funds so he wouldn't have overpaid for it, so why would the theif sell somthing like this at cost to a random person. Why not take something else that wouldn't be so obvious if your a theif and out to make a profit?

tsundoku

D7XbXXN.jpg
bump

My opinion is no one steals new tech and sells it to a random person. Hiphop said he was low on funds so he wouldn't have overpaid for it, so why would the theif sell somthing like this at cost to a random person. Why not take something else that wouldn't be so obvious if your a theif and out to make a profit?

If you're a guy who stole a bunch of switches from work and you know that the very first time you sell a switch, it's gonna be out there and Nintendo will get to the bottom of it, you don't want to draw attention to yourself by overcharging.

There's no at cost, it's full profit.

If you're a guy who stole a bunch of switches from work and you know that the very first time you sell a switch, it's gonna be out there and Nintendo will get to the bottom of it, you don't want to draw attention to yourself by overcharging.

There's no at cost, it's full profit.

I get that but if your looking to make some money why take somthing that's gonna be on high alert like a new console?

tsundoku

I get that but if your looking to make some money why take somthing that's gonna be on high alert like a new console?
because either
1. they saw something they knew would immediately sell and hhr is lying about how much it cost them, especially since they tried to resell it and upon losing the item started to heavily worry about their bills/rent
2. the theif had a pre arranged agreement / prior relation to the buyer

Cerium

The thing is hiphoptherobot was questioned about a lot of the holes in his story and his defense was literally

I really dont need to defend myself here.
The rest of his posts on the subject read like a man terrified he's about to be prosecuted.

Like "please Nintendo do not press charges."

DatAhmedz

Jesus that's crazy.

I swear the Switch by far had the weirdest and most exciting timeline since it's announcement as NX until today. Who knows what'll happen in the next 12 days.

Lucifon

Nintendo Switch will launch worldwide on March 3, 2017, and we look forward to everyone being able to discover the wonders of the new system for themselves at that time.

No direct next week confirmed.

Jonnax

Before the PS4 launch there was another guy doing this. Whee he posed with the box then the console.

Can't remember if he fired it up but he did post line straight up the name of the store he got it from and how he k we a guy that stole it from the warehouse

Can't remember what happened to him

kirby_fox

Banned

It's the quick flip. You steal something and quickly sell it so you no longer possess it but have cash for it. It's a hot item, so if police are looking for it- who has the money and who has the system?

Thief disappears and there's unlikely an easy way to find them.

Who here would not jump on a chance to buy a nintendo switch early?

I am sure many would out of pure excitement and anticipation for the system.

Unfortunately the share everything culture backfired big time.

I wouldn't if I couldn't be sure that it's ok for anyone, including Nintendo. I am an honest person and would very much appreciate if others were too. I have no problems blowing a whistle if someone's doing something he's not supposed to.

But then again, I was raised to be honest and honorable and it's very much in my cultural background as well (even though globalisation has muddied things somewhat, one bad thing about that)....

Cerium

It's the quick flip. You steal something and quickly sell it so you no longer possess it but have cash for it. It's a hot item, so if police are looking for it- who has the money and who has the system?

Thief disappears and there's unlikely an easy way to find them.

They found them within a day.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Who here would not jump on a chance to buy a nintendo switch early?

I am sure many would out of pure excitement and anticipation for the system.

Unfortunately the share everything culture backfired big time.

From a reliable retail/online shop with receipt in order to backup possible damage under warranty?
I would.
From other weird ways with no warranty guaranteed? Nope

Mafro

Nintendo Switch will launch worldwide on March 3, 2017, and we look forward to everyone being able to discover the wonders of the new system for themselves at that time.
Get that confirms no pre-launch direct. They could at least tell us what's going to be on the eShop and if the VC is going to be there (it probably won't)

daxgame

The HIpHop story was falling apart after Reddit and Detective GAF uncovered he first tried to sell the switch and then unbox. Glad Nintendo was on topnof this. No sympathy from me. Thieves deserve jailtime
Detective gaf found that he was doing exactly what he said multiple times he was going to do, right here on gaf.

neoglow

Banned
It's all fake, a crazy story made up by Nintendo to get the Switch in the media even more.

jk

No matter how these people got hold of a Switch, posting pics and videos online without remaining anonymous was a dumb move. The fact they were stolen makes it even worse and no wonder the Nintendo ninjas got involved.

7roject28

I knew all this sounded fishy. I mean why would he be the only one to get the Switch if it was accidentally sent out by a retailer? It would have been a lot more people getting it because they would had sent out their batch and a bunch of other people would have came out saying they got it too.

Top Bottom