• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch browser exploit proof of concept

LordKano

Well, we know that it has a browser since it needs to display web-applet when you're connected to a hotspot.

kami_sama

You can already do that if you use your own computer as dns. It mimics a login page. I don't think this is an exploit, only a webpage means to do that using standard webpage things.

Platy

Nintendo : no web browser
People : But wifi logins !
Nintendo : fine but just a little
Hackers : hello
Nintendo : fuck ><

nynt9

You can already do that if you use your own computer as dns. It mimics a login page. I don't think this is an exploit, only a webpage means to do that using standard webpage things.

Yeah, but both the 3DS and WiiU were also exploited through their browser, so this is a step towards that.

Hey Nintendo, how's that new anti-hacking philosophy of being as vindictively anti-consumer as possible working out for you?

No web browser, no save game transfers or even save game storage on microSD, read-only game cartridges, no apps of any kind, no backward compatibility, no passing Go or collecfing $200...

...hacked in 3 days.

Knowing Nintendo, their solution will be to remove the captive portal login capability entirely in a firmware update because fuck you consumers, that's why.

RoyalFool

Banned
they've just made the dns for the help screen go to their local web server and hosting a javascript matrix crawl.

In otherwords, 0% hacked.

Hey Nintendo, how's that new anti-hacking philosophy of being as vindictively anti-consumer as possible working out for you?

No web browser, no save game transfers or even save game storage on microSD, read-only game cartridges, no apps of any kind, no backward compatibility, no passing Go or collecfing $200...

...hacked in 3 days.

Knowing Nintendo, their solution will be to remove the captive portal login capability entirely in a firmware update because fuck you consumers, that's why.

dude, it hasnt been hacked, what are you on?

lethial

Reeeeeeee

...hacked in 3 days.

If only your over-reaction was actually worth it. It hasn't been hacked at all.

dude, it hasnt been hacked, what are you on?

It's proof of concept.

Knowing Nintendo, they don't know what hypervisor is and if there's a potential exploit it will be found soon.

If only your over-reaction was actually worth it. It hasn't been hacked at all.

Overreacting to what? To Nintendo being hilariously anti-consumer in the Switch because they care more about piracy than consumers being able to backup their save games?

Hopefully this thing could be blown open in the next couple of years. Would love to have the ultimate emulation machine on the go.

Tecnniqe

Banned
It's proof of concept.

Knowing Nintendo, they don't know what hypervisor is and if there's a potential exploit it will be found soon.

Overreacting to what? To Nintendo being hilariously anti-consumer in the Switch because they care more about piracy than consumers being able to backup their save games?

Sounds like every console company ever.

DooMAGE

It's proof of concept.

Calm down dude, drink some water and breath some fresh air lmao

Vuze

Nice. I've seen some RO dumps and a NAND reader mod on my twitter feed too.

E: Wait, after watching this video this merely seems like what others have done to watch YT or whatever via the applet. Meh

Brhoom

Banned
Oh boy this isn't good at all.

I'm all in for homebrew, but this will lead to piracy , which for a system that is still selling, let alone just released is not something I look forward to.

Vitacat

I am not against hacking or homebrew, but IMO it's just plain stupid to announce something like this so early. If they had to hack it, fine, but did they have to blabber about it and make Nintendo afraid to add features that users really miss and want?

LordKano

Guys, they aren't hacking anything. It's like that guy who found how to inject javascript text to display on screen.

There isn't perfect solution to protect against homebrew and piracy. The damage they do by going full anti-consumer to protect against said piracy is probably more damaging to their sales than the actual piracy is. Nintendo putting so much time and energy into it is just a waste. Keep making great games... and try to make great services and software and people will come. Try to limit or block functionality users want because it might be exploited and you're going to drive ootential consumers off. It's a sunk cost, just accept it and move on.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Hopefully this thing could be blown open in the next couple of years. Would love to have the ultimate emulation machine on the go.

Doesn't every device already do this. How many portable machines do people need to run their completely legal and self-dumped complete Genesis / NES / SNES / MAME romsets?

Maximo

they've just made the dns for the help screen go to their local web server and hosting a javascript matrix crawl.

In otherwords, 0% hacked.

Yeah peeps need to calm down.

Doesn't every device already do this. How many portable machines do people need to run their completely legal and self-dumped complete Genesis / NES / SNES / MAME romsets?

If people are willing to rip their own games for roms then Im sure they want their Roms playable on the latest handheld.

Vitacat

There isn't perfect solution to protect against homebrew and piracy. The damage they do by going full anti-consumer to protect against said piracy is probably more damaging to their sales than the actual piracy is. Nintendo putting so much time and energy into it is just a waste. Keep making great games, services and software and people will come. Try to limit or block functionality users want because it might be exploited and you're going to drive ootential consumers off. It's a sunk cost, just accept it and move on.
Correct. Let's just hope they understand that. Cuz Switch OS is the most empty, cold, barren feeling device I've seen in a long time. It's missing so many things, and doesn't even have much personality, which is bizarre for Nintendo. I miss the usual quirky goofiness.

MrPanic

Yeah, this is still slightly worrisome. Hopefully Nintendo has upped their game with the security this time around, cause hacking/homebrew/piracy this early in a console's life could be a death sentence for the future. I know this is still nothing, but it's a start nonetheless.

Weird though that they didn't give us a web browser for what I'm assuming hack potential, but then they added web applet stuff anyway. Well, at least this could mean we'll get a web browser sooner than later, since the hackers got access anyway.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Lol that's neat. I actually thought about that, what stops people from having "sign in" applets set up on their home networks that just execute whatever?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Does it? You can backup saves to USB just fine on PS4, and on the Xbox One while you can't do that, at least you have unlimited cloud save backup even if you are not a Gold subscriber.

He isn't totally wrong.

Maybe not the save game
which makes it even more ridiculous
but the idea of locking everything down so tight theres more or less nothing you can do.

I don't want to stir the pot with any baseless speculations, but I almost wonder if there's another, possibly less benign reason that a portion of people would like cfw on a device.

I would lament if playing Splatoon 2 basically turned into another Mario Kart 7 shit hurricane.

sangreal

It's proof of concept.

proof of what concept? that you can show a webpage in the registration mechanism meant to do exactly that? a POC would be showing a website effect the system outside of that scope... like the description claims but doesn't actually show: "This is a POC of using the web browser on the nintendo switch to do whatever you want"

Until someone actually finds an exploit that allows code to be executed on the Switch unit (Using webkit or otherwise), there's nothing to see here. Doing what's in the video literally would take about 15 minutes, and nothing about the Switch's ability to run JavaScript in it's browser makes it vulnerable.

He isn't totally wrong.

I'm actually completely right. You have to go back to the days of game cartridge with battery inside to reach the distant past when you couldn't backup save games. The last console I know of where the game was permanently tied to the cartridge was Nintendo 64.

Games that ran off disc and saved on memory cards could have save games copied from one card to another. That covers PS1, PS2, GameCube, Dreamcast. Hacked consoles could copy save games to PC. DC was way ahead of it's time, you could even use the DC web browser to download save games people uploaded to places like GameFAQs. This was how I unlocked all the playable characters in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 on DC back in the day.

OG Xbox could backup save games from the hard drive to memory cards. The OG could be hacked too to copy games to PC.

360 and PS3, Bone and PS4 could both backup save games in the cloud and/or copy to flash drive or PC for easy transfer. Some PS3 games actually restricted transfer of save games to the associated account but if you were the actual creator of the save game you could back it up freely.

The PS3 and PS4 let you backup your entire hard drive, including your save games. This made transferring your whole system easy, in case you were trading your console in or you broke it in some way. It also made upgrading from OG PS4 to Pro easy, come to think of it.

Nintendo are still the only company who thinks it's ok to do what the Wii U and Switch do, which is that if you console breaks or you trade it in or you possibly lose your Switch because it's a portable your save games are lost forever.

Persona7

Banned
Nintendo : no web browser
People : But wifi logins !
Nintendo : fine but just a little
Hackers : hello
Nintendo : fuck ><

I think the portal browser was in the works because it was in the early developer information that just leaked recently.

btrboyev

Why even bring up piracy?

Also I'd much rather have a high quality machine rather than some cheap thingamabob from a Chinese company.

I didn't bring it up. The poster I was quoting did. Having an "ultimate emulation machine" is basically saying pirating. Yes, downloading old games still is illegal. And I'm not going to buy anyone who says they only download games they own.

...hacked in 3 days.

Omg... obviously this is not a hack, not even close to a hack. Why people feel the urgency to post in threads they obviously don't understand, it's embarrassing.

I didn't bring it up. The poster I was quoting did. Having an "ultimate emulation machine" is basically saying pirating.

No, it really isn't. I never tried to imply that. What I mean is that the quality of the Switch itself leads to homebrew with good emulators.

Yes, downloading old games still is illegal. And I'm not going to buy anyone who says they only download games they own.

I own plenty of NES and SNES games through VC on the Wii and Animal Crossing on the GCN. There's nothing wrong with me ripping games from there.

You already got it, it's the PSVITA.
...And it has better analogs as well!! ;)

I already updated past 3.60 though. :(

FYI. You can literally see the web browser function when you link your Facebook/Twitter to your account in Settings > Social Media.

Shengar

You're still overreacting and it's clear that you have something against Nintendo. It isn't something that couldn't added in the future and we haven't even into the 1st week of its lifetime yet. The PS4 doesn't have BD playback (or whatever it is called), can't read music from USB, and can't use external HDd and all of this is now have been patched in to the console feature. However you talk like it is a fixated problem that Nintendo wouldn't budge ever despite there's proof of Nintendo doing so otherwise (the ability to back up saves from 3ds digital games was a patched in figure).

Seriously, have some water and chill out that head.

Top Bottom