• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch browser exploit proof of concept

Brodnax

Hey Nintendo, how's that new anti-hacking philosophy of being as vindictively anti-consumer as possible working out for you?

No web browser, no save game transfers or even save game storage on microSD, read-only game cartridges, no apps of any kind, no backward compatibility, no passing Go or collecfing $200...

...hacked in 3 days.

Knowing Nintendo, their solution will be to remove the captive portal login capability entirely in a firmware update because fuck you consumers, that's why.
I love this post, meme caliber.

Good , hope this gets hacked soon as possible so that nintendo actually invests in security software instead of just removing all potential gateways and locking paying customers out of basic features.

Atheerios

Are you serious OP? You really don't have any idea how exploits or javascript works. That's literally just a web page displaying an animation. That can be done in any system that has a web browser. This is in no way related to an exploit and isn't a proof of concept of anything.

LordRaptor

xbone and ps4 have fully functional browsers and haven't been hacked

ps3 was hacked, but not through its browser

its possible to have both

Sure, but I understand why Nintendo are gun shy about two features that have previously been exploited.

"Precautions"? Removing all the useful features from your system isn't a "precaution", it's fucking laziness. They could allow you to have save export without ever being "exploitable".

They haven't removed anything though, its not like the OtherOS response to geohot

Dryk

Its certainly a driving force, or really alot of Hackers take up the *challenge* to remove these limitations, a very small hardcore niche. Not saying piracy isn't a huuuge factor but there are alot that simply wanted emulation and removing region locking.
Not only that but it gives them a lot more of a positive image among the community. People would still be hacking Nintendo consoles regardless but if they were just doing it for piracy, or a lesser extent running other homebrew stuff you'd see less community support.

Hacking a system for the sake of it has super niche appeal. But a hacker that says "X feature is gone/not here? Fuck it I'll do it myself" will quickly garner a slightly more mainstream support base.

mieumieu

Not only that but it gives them a lot more of a positive image among the community. People would still be hacking Nintendo consoles regardless but if they were just doing it for piracy, or a lesser extent running other homebrew stuff you'd see less community support.

I almost never believe the things these so called hackers say about not wanting piracy. They fully know what their actions will cause.
Also never forget Chinese and Russian hackers who almost exclusively deal with piracy and has monetary gains. PSP didnt sold millions in China if not for piracy that's why its attach rate is lower.

Top Bottom