• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch browser exploit proof of concept

epmode

I'm going to be into CFW as early as possible. I still can't believe Nintendo didn't provide a way to back up save files. jksm v2 pls.

Vena

Yeah, but both the 3DS and WiiU were also exploited through their browser, so this is a step towards that.

It will depend on if the webapplet that this is running/calling has any actual reach to the kernel or other functions, or if its completely isolated out and going through it would be effectively impossible.

Just having it think its reaching a web-login page is meaningless. You can do this on your own computer by just making it look like a "website for logins" to the Switch. It will display whatever you want.

This is the very definition of meaningless.

m00h

Banned
Well, it's not a real proof of anything, but I'd love to have homebrew on the Switch. Especially emulators that work in portable and docked modes. Switch has so much potential to be the best homebrew machine of all times.

Hey Nintendo, how's that new anti-hacking philosophy of being as vindictively anti-consumer as possible working out for you?

No web browser, no save game transfers or even save game storage on microSD, read-only game cartridges, no apps of any kind, no backward compatibility, no passing Go or collecfing $200...

...hacked in 3 days.

Knowing Nintendo, their solution will be to remove the captive portal login capability entirely in a firmware update because fuck you consumers, that's why.

Pppffffffftttt hahahaha what!? Even some of the people who actively hack new consoles and old ones mention this means nothing.

The fuck you talking about? Hahahha

No agenda againts Nintendo right? No agenda, so, how you load isos again?

Dryk

There isn't perfect solution to protect against homebrew and piracy. The damage they do by going full anti-consumer to protect against said piracy is probably more damaging to their sales than the actual piracy is. Nintendo putting so much time and energy into it is just a waste. Keep making great games... and try to make great services and software and people will come. Try to limit or block functionality users want because it might be exploited and you're going to drive ootential consumers off. It's a sunk cost, just accept it and move on.
Funnily enough their anti-consumer practices are what drove a lot of people to hack their 3DS's and Wii U's

notaskwid

Doesn't every device already do this. How many portable machines do people need to run their completely legal and self-dumped complete Genesis / NES / SNES / MAME romsets?

Switch would probably be able to run gamecube and ps2 at some capacity though. PS1 and PSP for sure.

LordRaptor

DC was way ahead of it's time, you could even use the DC web browser to download save games people uploaded to places like GameFAQs. This was how I unlocked all the playable characters in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 on DC back in the day.

The wii also allowed this, end result; savegame exploit, rampant piracy.

Like the wiiu had an excellent and capable HTML5 compliant browser, end result; browser exploit, rampant piracy.

So its not super insane that those features are not available at launch.

MMgFF2C.jpg

shiyrley

Banned
I'm so frustrated at the fact that people actually believe this is hacking, but at the same time I know it's pretty useless to explain anything to certain people.

Guys. If any random hotel changes their wifi login page to a matrix thing, the browser will display that. This person enabled a "wifi login page" on his PC/Network that looks like it so the Switch's browser displays it. WOW SO MUCH HACKING INVOLVED

proof of what concept? that you can show a webpage in the registration mechanism meant to do exactly that? a POC would be showing a website effect the system outside of that scope... like the description claims but doesn't actually show: "This is a POC of using the web browser on the nintendo switch to do whatever you want"

In fact, it's a proof of concept. Normally, you can't access other web pages other than social media websites and hotspot. Showing that you can acess any web page could lead to easily exploitable backdoors...

sangreal

In fact, it's a proof of concept. Normally, you can't access other web pages other than social media websites and hotspot. Showing that you can acess any web page could lead to easily exploitable backdoors...

...but the video in question shows a hotspot website. did you watch it?

Kebiinu

Banned
Y'all looooove to overreact. Lol, you guys can't be this dramatic in real life. Relax, this means nothing...

sangreal

The wii also allowed this, end result; savegame exploit, rampant piracy.

Like the wiiu had an excellent and capable HTML5 compliant browser, end result; browser exploit, rampant piracy.

So its not super insane that those features are not available at launch.

MMgFF2C.jpg

xbone and ps4 have fully functional browsers and haven't been hacked

ps3 was hacked, but not through its browser

its possible to have both

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Aren't they just redirecting the browser? Using the term exploit seems like an overreach.

samn

There isn't perfect solution to protect against homebrew and piracy. The damage they do by going full anti-consumer to protect against said piracy is probably more damaging to their sales than the actual piracy is. Nintendo putting so much time and energy into it is just a waste. Keep making great games... and try to make great services and software and people will come. Try to limit or block functionality users want because it might be exploited and you're going to drive ootential consumers off. It's a sunk cost, just accept it and move on.

Nintendo held off piracy on the Wii U for years and made 3DS piracy either impossible or inconvenient for years as well. Also see MS and Sony's successes with their consoles - PS3 wasn't hacked until 2011. Why would they just 'accept' it when 1. piracy costs them money and they can stop it from happening for several years 2. unauthorised access = possibility to cheat in games, which pretty much ruined online play on DS and Wii

Pokemaniac

This... doesn't really even qualify as an exploit. Like, being able to load arbitrary pages is something the system does by design to support captive portal Wifi logins. Of course, people will eventually try to exploit the system via the web applet, but this isn't that. Really the best thing Nintendo can do is try to merge in security fixes from mainline WebKit as fast as possible.

xbone and ps4 have fully functional browsers and haven't been hacked

ps3 was hacked, but not through its browser

its possible to have both

PS4 has definitely been hacked. Otherwise PS4 Linux wouldn't be a thing.

qko

Eh, at this point Nintendo should pull pull out the ban hammer and permanently ban My Nintendo accounts like how Microsoft does.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It really makes no sense to limit the browser to just hotspots for the purposes of limiting hacking when it's still very easy for hackers to get access to the browser that way. Should an exploit be found through the browser, I don't think that many of your everyday pirates would be turned off by the additional the steps of going in their router settings to set up their own login page.

I guess a few might have to buy a new router if theirs doesn't do it, but that benefit to nintendo really doesn't seem worth the cost of making their tablet not function as a tablet.

Maximo

Its certainly a driving force, or really alot of Hackers take up the *challenge* to remove these limitations, a very small hardcore niche. Not saying piracy isn't a huuuge factor but there are alot that simply wanted emulation and removing region locking.

Its certainly a driving force, or really alot of Hackers take up the *challenge* to remove these limitations, a very small hardcore niche. Not saying piracy isn't a huuuge factor but there are alot that simply wanted emulation and removing region locking.

Yep, ir i remember, the 3ds scene started with people wanting to remover region lock

sangreal

So uh, you guys know playing a Matrix Animation is not actually hacking, right?

â̴̧̭̻͍̯ͮ͗͑͋ͩͅṟ̛̹͕̪̥̔̊̒̇̾̃̚͠e̦͓̤̺̜̯̙̬̓̄̐͆ͤ̊ ̶̥ͬ̑͆̅̌ͥͧ̚̚ͅyͨ̈͆͊ͩ̀̓ͦ̍͠͏̲̣̯̫̙o̡̙̲͚̰̰̯ͪ͆͟ư̴̯̝͖͉͚̫̂ͫͤ ̋̂ͬ҉̫̘̗̠͖s̶̗̐ͦ̉̓ͥͣ̽͞u̵̡̙̟̮̣͍̼̔͆̂ͯ̆͒͞ͅr̶̴̭͎͓̖̱͈͔̖̿͒͗̑ͤ͞e̟͕͓̳̝̻̔͌ͮͫͫ̌͂͟͡ ͎͍̒͋̃̃̃̋͐ͬ̿̀a͚̗͎̖̗͍ͯ͋̿̏ͦ̅̚b̵̍̈́ͪ̈ͥ͆͏̩̙̫͍o̴͎̮͚̟̓ͭ͌̚͘u̢͈̩̒́̈́̑́t͈͈͉̣̯̰̤̉͗ ̡̻͚̖ͫ͆̓̏͜t̗͎̩̪̃ͦ͝ͅh̆ͩ͗̽̎̆̈ͯ̚͏̧̡͔̣̲͎͕͕͈á̸̷̠͇̜͕̔͆̄ͦ̉ͫ̅͠t͈̻̮̓ͪ̆̊̈́͜?̛̼͎̓̽̃̓͒̋ͤ͋̕

Being able to get to a web browser and render javascript is a good start - the question is if that web browser (which is presumably Webkit?) has vulnerabilities that can be exploited via javascript, and, if so, how they can go from that to breaking into the important bits like, say, the kernel.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
â̴̧̭̻͍̯ͮ͗͑͋ͩͅṟ̛̹͕̪̥̔̊̒̇̾̃̚͠e̦͓̤̺̜̯̙̬̓̄̐͆ͤ̊ ̶̥ͬ̑͆̅̌ͥͧ̚̚ͅyͨ̈͆͊ͩ̀̓ͦ̍͠͏̲̣̯̫̙o̡̙̲͚̰̰̯ͪ͆͟ư̴̯̝͖͉͚̫̂ͫͤ ̋̂ͬ҉̫̘̗̠͖s̶̗̐ͦ̉̓ͥͣ̽͞u̵̡̙̟̮̣͍̼̔͆̂ͯ̆͒͞ͅr̶̴̭͎͓̖̱͈͔̖̿͒͗̑ͤ͞e̟͕͓̳̝̻̔͌ͮͫͫ̌͂͟͡ ͎͍̒͋̃̃̃̋͐ͬ̿̀a͚̗͎̖̗͍ͯ͋̿̏ͦ̅̚b̵̍̈́ͪ̈ͥ͆͏̩̙̫͍o̴͎̮͚̟̓ͭ͌̚͘u̢͈̩̒́̈́̑́t͈͈͉̣̯̰̤̉͗ ̡̻͚̖ͫ͆̓̏͜t̗͎̩̪̃ͦ͝ͅh̆ͩ͗̽̎̆̈ͯ̚͏̧̡͔̣̲͎͕͕͈á̸̷̠͇̜͕̔͆̄ͦ̉ͫ̅͠t͈̻̮̓ͪ̆̊̈́͜?̛̼͎̓̽̃̓͒̋ͤ͋̕

Yes, and abusing Unicode isn't hacking ether, just annoying.

ss_lemonade

I would love full CFW for the Switch.. emulators alone would make it amazing with the screen resolution.
Still waiting for my Switch to arrive (UPS delay :() but isn't it missing a good dpad? Also, there already used to be a decent 720p solution with the Shield Portable, which features a good, full set of buttons for controls. Don't know how easy it is to purchase nowadays though

Nintendo held off piracy on the Wii U for years and made 3DS piracy either impossible or inconvenient for years as well. Also see MS and Sony's successes with their consoles - PS3 wasn't hacked until 2011. Why would they just 'accept' it when 1. piracy costs them money and they can stop it from happening for several years 2. unauthorised access = possibility to cheat in games, which pretty much ruined online play on DS and Wii

I'm not saying they shouldn't attempt to stop piracy, it's a worthwhile endeavor. However, when it comes to the choice of inhibiting piracy or removing/obstructing features that people have come to expect and enjoy. I'm sorry but the consumer wins for me.

You win by accessibility, functionality and features. I could pirate all my shows, movies etc. Instead I choose to pay for services like Netflix every month because of the value in functionality and features it provides. We already have cautionary tales of what happens when you go too far. The Vita springs to mind.

As for cheating I can't speak to that, but I somehow doubt there was enough cheaters on DS and Wii to be what ruined online play. Most consoles if exploited, are accessed by a fraction of a percentage and of that a fraction actually cheat in game. I do agree though that it's a skinners box type problem, where you never know if someone is just good, it's connection, or maybe they actually are cheating. It can be extremely annoying.

I'm not saying they shouldn't attempt to stop piracy, it's a worthwhile endeavor. However, when it comes to the choice of inhibiting piracy or removing/obstructing features that people have come to expect and enjoy. I'm sorry but the consumer wins for me.

You win by accessibility, functionality and features. I could pirate all my shows, movies etc. Instead I choose to pay for services like Netflix every month because of the value in functionality and features it provides. We already have cautionary tales of what happens when you go too far. The Vita springs to mind.

Sony had a tool for you to connect your Vita to PC and transfer stuff back and forth on day 1, including save games.
http://cma.dl.playstation.net/cma/win/en/

The cautionary tale of Vita is to not use ridiculous proprietary memory cards to try and make up for selling the system at a loss. They could have just charged more for the Vita and used microSD so people understood what the real cost was. There was nothing wrong with Vita's functionality.

Sony had a tool for you to connect your Vita to PC and transfer stuff back and forth on day 1, including save games.
http://cma.dl.playstation.net/cma/win/en/

The cautionary tale of Vita is to not use ridiculous proprietary memory cards to try and make up for selling the system at a loss. They could have just charged more for the Vita and used microSD so people understood what the real cost was. There was nothing wrong with Vita's functionality.

True, I'm just saying the primary BS reason they gave for the Memory card was worries of exploitation. They killed their system out of fear of piracy, and obviously inflated prices on the peripherals. Getting some minor Deja vu.

I will give credit where it's due though. The Vita had most of the functionality you'd want/expect. If they hadn't been so foolish with the Memory card and had a micro-hdmi out like was shown on some of the prototype models it could have turned out very different for the Vita.

Hey Nintendo, how's that new anti-hacking philosophy of being as vindictively anti-consumer as possible working out for you?

No web browser, no save game transfers or even save game storage on microSD, read-only game cartridges, no apps of any kind, no backward compatibility, no passing Go or collecfing $200...

...hacked in 3 days.

Knowing Nintendo, their solution will be to remove the captive portal login capability entirely in a firmware update because fuck you consumers, that's why.

Wait, so Nintendo is supposed to be okay with having their systems be easily exploitable and not take any precautions at all?

Still waiting for my Switch to arrive (UPS delay :() but isn't it missing a good dpad? Also, there already used to be a decent 720p solution with the Shield Portable, which features a good, full set of buttons for controls. Don't know how easy it is to purchase nowadays though

The d-pad is pretty good I'm not really super anal when it comes to that sort of thing though so I am probably the wrong guy to ask.

Permanently A

Since hackers (its not a hack I get it) can visit any pages they want by spoofing a hotel wifi might as well release the web browser for general use right?

MUnited83

For you.
Wait, so Nintendo is supposed to be okay with having their systems be easily exploitable and not take any precautions at all?
"Precautions"? Removing all the useful features from your system isn't a "precaution", it's fucking laziness. They could allow you to have save export without ever being "exploitable".

Top Bottom