• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega announces A Certain Magical Cyber Trooper (Virtual-On) for PSVITA/PS4 (2018)

Takao

Banned
gu6XCX5.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBJLRXQlVxE
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/481/1481426/

Yes, this is a collaborative game tied with A Certain Magical Index. I'm as confused as you are.

Dio

Banned
The Index fans are fucking pissed because this isn't an announcement of a new season of Index like they though it was going to be, and Virtual On fans don't give a fuck about Index. At least, the people who still care about VO don't usually care about it.

Both audiences are confused.

iavi

It only makes sense that this dark timeline that were in gives us this hellish abomination.

Next is Outrun featuring waifus

R.D.Blax

I guess it's based on the cross-over novel published last year ? But wait, this is the big announcement the teased since last year ? If that is the case, fuck this shit

Dio

Banned
cPStSkW.jpg

The Index fans are probably more angry about this than people into Virtual-On because VO is long since dead (very very dead) and the Indexverse is at least still getting new novels/spinoffs like Railgun and stuff so it has active fans and they really want their new season of anime adaptation re: the main storyline.

It only makes sense in this dark timeline that were in gives us this hellish abomination.

No, you've got it wrong.

It's going to be a Phantasy Star sequel that's actually just a new game based on Asterisk War.

daevious

What is it about low-budget Japanese game projects and their ability to disappoint literally everyone who should be excited for them?

Like, there's the recent Valkyria game being lame and that Growlancer game from last year being a total shit-show. I'm pretty sure there's even more that I'm just not remembering off the top of my head.

Golnei

I mean, that seems like it'd be a pretty natural fit for the concept. You're already driving with your arm around a generic blond, giving more focus to individual characters and including light dating sim mechanics wouldn't be the largest stretch in terms of expanding the game.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I... don't understand. The hell Sega?

What's next? Thunder Force and Alex Kidd?

Dio

Banned
I guess it's based on the cross-over novel published last year ? But wait, this is the big announcement the teased since last year ? If that is the case, fuck this shit

Yeah, I think it is based on the crossover light novel they made last year. They're just making it a video game then:

http://toarumajutsunoindex.wikia.com/wiki/Toaru_Majutsu_no_Virtual-On

From what I know the plot is pretty much "the characters play Virtual-On and weird shit happens and the game becomes real" so it's very possible this will be an actual Virtual-On game.

emiliano

To me seems obvious tha this will be a real Virtual-On game with visual novel style narration.
I sure hope so.

By the way the game always needed a little background, couldn't be this a start?

PsionBolt

I'll accept this game if you can play as the people and blow up robots. It does make the robots look kinda pointless when the superhumans are stronger, but they probably should have thought about that beforehand... There's not really much point to making a game with this license unless you get to use the superpowers, right?

pbayne

To me seems obvious tha this will be a real Virtual-On game with visual novel style narration.
I sure hope so.

By the way the game always needed a little background, couldn't be this a start?

Index characters are pretty insufferable though. That's background you could do without.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I have a sneaking suspicion this might actually turn out well.

I think combining two things that are really out of left field to each other allows both companies to be creative and make something very interesting. I'm sure this happened because the people behind both properties got some weird idea they wanted to make happen.

I can understand why fans of both might initially be outraged since it's so random after both things have been on hiatus for a period of time, but I don't know. I don't really know what to expect, but I think it could work in an interestingly odd way.

Dio

Banned
I have a sneaking suspicion this might actually turn out well.

I think combining two things that are really out of left field to each other allows both companies to be creative and make something very interesting. I'm sure this happened because the people behind both properties got some weird idea they wanted to make happen.

On the other hand, if this is literally just a game adaptation of the light novel that was written last year (which it most likely was) then it'll probably just use that as a framework for the videogame.

Read a translated prologue and Chapter 1 for yourself:

https://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Toaru_Majutsu_no_Index:Virtual_On_Prologue
https://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Toaru_Majutsu_no_Index:Virtual_On_Chapter1

AALLx

Should have named it "A Certain Scientific Cyber Trooper" and made Biribiri the lead instead.

If the mechs get the abilities of the pilots then I'm pretty cool with this.

Top Bottom