• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega announces A Certain Magical Cyber Trooper (Virtual-On) for PSVITA/PS4 (2018)

cj_iwakura

What is it about low-budget Japanese game projects and their ability to disappoint literally everyone who should be excited for them?

Like, there's the recent Valkyria game being lame and that Growlancer game from last year being a total shit-show. I'm pretty sure there's even more that I'm just not remembering off the top of my head.
You're thinking of Langrisser. Growlanser is safe, thankfully.

Rephin

LOL. I like Index and I love Virtual On, but come on.

I doubt we'll see this game outside of Japan anyway.

m7g4aJR.jpg

Briarios

If it plays just like a Virtual On game with a Magical Index VN story -- isn't that ok? I mean, people get both things ... and, if tying them together was the only way to get it out (i.e. funding), it's better than nothing. Maybe.

I'm of course reserving judgement -- but it's too soon to get upset.

The trailer literally, and in Engrish, said "HIGH SPEED BATTLE ACTION".

I'm fairly certain I've never see a pure VN that is "HIGH SPEED BATTLE ACTION", so whatever it turns out to be it's at least an action game.

Why not? Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax did get localized.

The last Index 3D fighter wasn't localized either.

But right now it's too early to tell. People had to twist their arm to get Yazuka over so I'm not holding my breath.

Sometimes I wonder if companies really do market research before developing a product.

There are more fans of Index that will play this over VO fans. Only a dozen or so people care about that series. Most have moved on to the Gundam Versus series years ago. They need a hook to compete against that game because it has a lock on the 3D mecha fighting market right now.

Blue-kun

It only makes sense that this dark timeline that were in gives us this hellish abomination.

Next is Outrun featuring waifus

You're saying this, but OutRun 2 already featured different girls you could take with you for the ride and what not.

They probably won't do it, but imagine if you could pick which Dengeki waifu you'd like to drive around in a car alongside you? The potential here's real. Have Shana on the seat next to you as you drive around highways, and hear her moan URUSAI, URUSAI when you mess up or praise you in that unforgettable (for better or for worse) Kugimiya Rie voice!

I think SEGA should hire us.

I uh, don't really know how to feel about this. I've never played a Virtual-On game before, but I do like Index, so I dunno I'd give it a shot if it every came to the west.

BigPete

Should have named it "A Certain Scientific Cyber Trooper" and made Biribiri the lead instead.

If the mechs get the abilities of the pilots then I'm pretty cool with this.

This was my first thought as well. I also wonder if they'll include Kongou’s giant robot from Railgun S.

I saw Virtual-On and I saw PSVITA/PS4, then my brain put the two together and for a brief moment I thought Oratorio Tangram HD might be be coming to something other than 360.

Yeah... the disappointment stings even more now.

Takao

Banned
Was psyched but then discovered it's a VN? SEGA is lost in the goddamn sauce.

There was a light novel (actual book) crossover between these two last year, but the game doesn't sound like a VN. Probably something similar to the usual Virtual-On games with this story put in.

The set up sounds super weird, but if it'll bring back VO then I'll deal with it. I'm much more interested in the gameplay. It being console first/only makes me think it'll be an action game and not an arena fighter like VOOT.

salromano

Just FYI, because I made the same mistake until I watched the trailer with sound, the game is called "A Certain Magical Virtual-On," sans the "Cyber Trooper." The Virtual-On in parenthesis is just the way you're supposed to read the words that are originally pronounced "Dennou Senki" (Cyber Troopers). I just watched the trailer with sound for the first time a little bit ago and realized when the overly excited narrator say the title out loud, which is "Toaru Majutsu no Virtual-On."

Top Bottom