• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega announces A Certain Magical Cyber Trooper (Virtual-On) for PSVITA/PS4 (2018)

Dio

Banned
The trailer says the characters will ride in the Virtuaroids, but I'm pretty sure Virtuaroids have always been remotely piloted, there's no human inside.
It's even a part of the plot!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtuaroid

[QUOTE='The light novel Virtual-On/Index crossover prologue]He was inside a cocoon-like spindle-shaped machine that did not feel all that large. It was strangely soft and seemed to suction itself to his back. His hands held a device only a little bigger than a box of chocolates. That device and its sticks and buttons for his thumbs were his only lifeline.

There was nothing inside the cocoon. Even without a seatbelt, his body was naturally fixed inside the seat and there were none of the monitors, buttons, and switches that would fill a fighter craft. Optional settings could alter the layout to one’s liking, but the small device in his hands was all he needed to control the machine.

But no one really knew if that lifeline was really there or not.

The device and even his own existence “inside” the machine were uncertain.

But he could touch it and it would respond accordingly, so there was no problem.

“…!!”

The world rapidly opened up around him.

He was not simply receiving information through a monitor. He sat inside the cocoon-like machine, yet he could clearly sense the heat of the air, a burning smell, and even some presences and killer intent that did not fall under any of his five senses.

He finally remembered.

He raised his heavy head and bit his rusty-tasting lips.

He outputted what he needed to do.

“Listen, Temjin,” he groaned. “You aren’t a tool of killing. I won’t let you be one.”

He touched the device in his hands once more. He stroked the top of the sticks with his thumbs and confirmed its solid presence with his entire hands. He entrusted everything to it.

And he spoke.

“So help me out here. Help me save that girl!!”

[/QUOTE]

At least, for this story there are.

Dudes I don't care, I would take ANY Index announcements over the franchise being buried into nothingness by SAO!!

If what it takes is to collab with virtual-on then so be it!

Btw, there was already a LN crossover with these two series so it's not a surprise. (I heard it's quite good, though I haven't seen it yet)

StayDead

I don't get why this is so surprising/worrying.

If it still has virtual-on gameplay, what's wrong with them adding Toaru characters?

If it still has virtual-on gameplay, what's wrong with them adding Toaru characters?

You would think the emphasis on the words "HIGH SPEED BATTLE ACTION!" in the middle of the trailer would assure people of that.

But to be fair, I'll feel more comfortable if I see some gameplay.

Risette

A Good Citizen

index is bad + console release first

any chance this had of being good was probably gone when it wasn't an arcade-first release

xk0sm0sx

The trailer places more emphasis on the Index characters, compared to just 1 mention of Temjin.
No gameplay footage.

This trailer is terrible for Virtual On fans.

Aki-at

First thing I see in the morning.

Magnificent work Sega, your ability to miss my expectations causes beyond my expectations!

Will reserve judgement until further notice but wonder if the 7th Dragon team is working on this considering some of the Virtual On team worked for the last game.

Jaeger

giphy.gif

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Never heard of Index, but it looks interesting. Gonna look up more on it.

I.... what. I don't how to feel right now. I guess I am happy that we are getting a new Index game that isn't a visual novel. I know nothing about Virtual-On, so I have no idea how this will play.

Dio

Banned
I.... what. I don't how to feel right now. I guess I am happy that we are getting a new Index game that isn't a visual novel. I know nothing about Virtual-On, so I have no idea how this will play.

You familiar with Gotcha Force or Gundam vs Gundam?

It's similar to those, but controls somewhat differently. Largely a person v person arcade franchise focused around fighting in third person with side dashes, shooting and stuff in a mech.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Would be funny if it was actually like Virtual On though. Arena nerds would have their 1v1 fix with this, 2v2 fix with new Gundam Versus, and 3v3 with Dissidia.

Aki-at

I mean if you're going to do a tie in wouldn't a mecha vs mecha make more sense?!

If this is the fate of all returning franchise from Sega I can't wait for the inevitable Panzer und Girls and Chu Chu Rocket tie in.

You familiar with Gotcha Force or Gundam vs Gundam?

It's similar to those, but controls somewhat differently. Largely a person v person arcade franchise focused around fighting in third person with side dashes, shooting and stuff in a mech.

Ah, okay. That kind of gameplay. I seen games like that before, though I never tried much personally.

The thing is, I'm not even sure if it's going to get an English localization so all these outrage might not even matter lol. The last 'proper' Index game was a 3D fighter and it didn't.

But man I really hope we get it.

Eh...whatever.

There hasn't been a new Virtual-On game since 2003 (Marz...which was just the worst). The people behind the masterpiece VO:OT are either gone or just not interested in doing another game.

What Sega does with the IP now is cool by me.

Beartruck

Finally, Misaka's electric Gauss rifle might actually be a literal Gauss rifle.

If this is the fate of all returning franchise from Sega I can't wait for the inevitable Panzer und Girls and Chu Chu Rocket tie in.
More like Panzer Dragoon und Girls.

;_;

It only makes sense that this dark timeline that were in gives us this hellish abomination.

Next is Outrun featuring waifus

You just described actual Outrun. The waifus are especially prominent in 2, but it's completely there in the original game's concept too. The whole series is about spending time with and impressing a pretty girl.

As a huge Virtual-On fan I have almost zero interest in this. Marz eventually grew on me a little bit, so I'm actually okay with Virtual-On + loads of narration, but from what I can tell this is going to be (at best) Virtual-On + loads of anime cliches. (In that story they make jokes about Fei-Yen "jiggling" and how inappropriate it is to look up her skirt. HA HA.) Yuck.

Top Bottom