• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action games with Chinese fantasy setting (ie wuxia, xianxia, xuanhuan)

Dio

Banned
So I saw this game, Project X, in development in the CHINA HERO PROJECT thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBoapC8vqiI&feature=youtu.be
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1354445

HT9PbE8.gif

RgV1zO.gif

Having read a lot of wuxia and xianxia translated into English on novelupdates, I was immediately interested. I have not really seen many Chinese action games in this particular style - usually, these kinds of games are either MMOs or army-based.

Having read such stories as I Shall Seal the Heavens, Martial World and Against the Gods, I am very interested in this particular game - I was even thinking about how fitting they are for videogame adaptations - some of them even have mobile game adaptations, but that's not really what I want.

Most of these stories are set in the world of martial arts, with something called 'cultivation' - essentially, reflecting on the nature of the universe and the laws of nature in seclusion, attempting to comprehend said laws and truths will refine your body and make you stronger in stages. Since each stage is clearly defined, it almost translates 1:1 to 'levels' in an RPG. Once you 'level up' by reaching another stage in cultivation, for example, breaking through the 'gate' of that stage to become a new level of powerful means your body can carry several hundred pound objects instead of a few dozen after 'breaking through' via cultivation, et cetera.

Qi Condensation, Foundation Establishment, Core Formation, Nascent Soul, and Immortal Ascension are the 'commonly used' stages of becoming a powerful martial arts practitioner. There are usually either 9 levels to each 'stage' of development. If you wanna read more about it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/noveltrans...ry_of_terms_in_wuxia_xianxia_xuanhuan_novels/

A lot of this cultivation is aided by legendary herbs and the like, which ALSO perfectly translates to videogame terms - find the 1,000 year old ginseng, and it will speed up your cultivation to get to a higher level in a lot of these stories.

I am really surprised more games haven't taken advantage of some of the crazier worlds possible in xianxia - there are worlds in which a fight between two characters literally splits mountains apart on the scale of Asura's Wrath, the worlds are sometimes ridiculously populated with hundreds of billions of people in a world clearly larger than Earth, beings the size of a small continent - hell, there's even a part in ISSTH where an entire ocean has a giant crack in it with water and land being pulled in that, when seen from the air, a single blood red eye can be seen peering out like some hellish Lovecraftian god.

Wuxia ( 武俠 wǔ​xiá ) - literally means "Martial Heroes". Fictional stories about regular humans who can achieve supernatural fighting ability through Chinese martial arts training and internal energy cultivation. Themes of chivalry, tragedy, revenge & romance are common.

Xianxia ( 仙侠 xiānxiá ) - literally means "Immortal Heroes". Fictional stories featuring magic, demons, ghosts, immortals, and a great deal of Chinese folklore/mythology. Protagonists (usually) attempt to cultivate to Immortality, seeking eternal life and the pinnacle of strength. Heavily inspired by Daoism.
Comparison: If Wuxia is "low fantasy", then Xianxia is "high fantasy".

Xuanhuan ( 玄幻 xuán​huàn ) - literally means "Mysterious Fantasy". A broad genre of fictional stories which remixes Chinese folklore/mythology with foreign elements & settings.
Xuanhuan and Xianxia novels may sometimes seem similar on the surface. Look for the presence of Daoist elements (the Dao, Yin and Yang, Immortals, etc...) in the novel to easily distinguish the two – if they aren't present, then the novel is probably Xuanhuan.

The only Chinese fantasy game I'm really aware of that crossed my attention recently was becoming aware that Falcom of Ys and Trails in the Sky fame published the Chinese fantasy RPG 'Genso Sangokushi' I and II in Japan, along with making a special arrangement soundtrack. Any more I should check out that I'm unaware of? Character action/action RPG wuxia/xianxia/xuanhuan would be really cool to play.

There are so many possibilities in the xianxia world:

People who ride magic swords like Tao Pai Pai's pillar in Dragonball are commonplace.

Beasts the size of cities that fight with human sized protagonists.

Hell, a Platinum Xianxia character action would be a perfect fit because of the type of large-scale boss fights they're best at.

I was thinking this a few weeks ago. I'm not too into the Wuxia stuff, but I watch a Chinese animation called Qin's Moon. I think these types of settings would work wonderfully in a video game and I can't really think of any that do it justice. While I love me some Dynasty Warriors, I do wonder if there's a severe lack of games utilizing this pretty much untapped territory. It'd at least give more flavor to a game than another bog-standard medieval fantasy world.

Blade & Soul.

Putting aside the fanservice inherent in the lead artist's style, it's ultimately a very, very wuxia game. As in, you start out as the sole survivor of an ancient school of martial arts that lived in high in the mountains, cast down after a former disciple of the school returns with dark powers that raise the dead, aided by another disciple who betrays all of you. It only escalates and further indulges in tropes from there.

BADMAN

Wow those gifs. I'm very excited about the prospect of Chinese devs moving into singleplayer big budget games.

It is an uncommon thing for sure...even in other forms like Anime---of late you've only really got Reikenzan going in on the deep end, then Condor Hero a great many years back, and very little otherwise outside of the glorious Puppet show that won over everybody.

You are right about the potential staring the lot in the face though...and that China Hero Project looks amazing.

Dio

Banned
It is an uncommon thing for sure...even in other forms like Anime---of late you've only really got Reikenzan going in on the deep end, then Condor Hero a great many years back, and very little otherwise outside of the glorious Puppet show that won over everybody.

You are right about the potential staring the lot in the face though...and that China Hero Project looks amazing.

For those unaware, most recently, that puppet thing ElectricThunder is talking about: Gen Urobuchi of Fate/Zero, Madoka Magica and Kikokugai fame actually helped out with a wuxia anime - but it wasn't anime in 2D, it was puppet based.

It was also fucking awesome:

Thunderbolt Fantasy. Yes, those are puppets.

Z3hAVqa.gif

gzlBykH.gif

5osm1G4.gif

takoyaki

Shachou Eiyuuden: The Eagle Shooting Heroes

42354_frontp2yfc.jpg

It's a pretty obscure PS1 RPG with turn-based combat that's based on a series of wuxia novels. Not sure if it was ever fan-translated into English or if it's any good though.

Most recently, Gen Urobuchi of Fate/Zero, Madoka Magica and Kikokugai fame actually helped out with a wuxia anime - but it wasn't anime in 2D, it was puppet based.

Thunderbolt Fantasy.

Z3hAVqa.gif

I think that's what they meant by 'the glorious puppet show that won over everybody'.

But yeah, Wuxia tends to be more of an influence than an outright genre in itself in anime. People'll gladly pick up the aesthetic, the zodiac, or maybe try another adaptation of Journey to the West, but less adapt the actual narrative and stylistic trappings of the genre.

Dio

Banned
I think that's what they meant by 'the glorious puppet show that won over everybody'.

But yeah, Wuxia tends to be more of an influence than an outright genre in itself in anime. People'll gladly pick up the aesthetic, the zodiac, or maybe try another adaptation of Journey to the West, but less adapt the actual narrative and stylistic trappings of the genre.

Yes, I rephrased that. I elaborated because not everyone reading this thread will know what he's talking about.

Bujingai for the PS2 has a Wuxia sort of hybrid gameplay and visual style. Its not full-on Wuxia, but its clearly the biggest ingredient of the stew.

Dio

Banned
I imagine that was what Shenmue II was leading up to prior to its hiatus

A good point. The sword and all that is very much veering into that territory.

That being said, a xianxia Asura's Wrath style game would, like...

Asura's Wrath is already heavily Buddhism-based. If you simply transmuted most of that story into being based around Daoism, you could easily transform it into a Xianxia story. It hits many similar beats. Of course, it's a little too QTE based but some of those QTEs are the greatest ones of all time.

So thus I bring forth the idea of maybe someone like Platinum, who already has experience with creating fun boss fights centered around enormous enemies or super quick one on one fights.

ViciousDS

Banned
Bujingai for the PS2 has a Wuxia sort of hybrid gameplay and visual style. Its not full-on Wuxia, but its clearly the biggest ingredient of the stew.

I played that intro scene a million times because it recorded like 3-4 minutes of it. The fighting in that game is so fucking badass and artistic. Probably in my top 5 Ps2 games......it's soooooo short though :(

4Tran

Jade Empire was definitely inspired by Wuxia.
It's influenced by kung fu films. And while kung fu films have some affinity to wuxia, it tends to differ from modern wuxia. Otherwise, it'd be really odd, given all the different dichotomies available to wuxia, for Bioware to make up their own Open Palm/Closed Fist.

Modern wuxia is fairly popular thoughout East Asia, it never really penetrated Japan. Modern wuxia starts around the '50s and that's also when manga started finding its stride in Japan, so the former never took off like it did in other territories.

Dio

Banned
Modern wuxia is fairly popular thoughout East Asia, it never really penetrated Japan. Modern wuxia starts around the '50s and that's also when manga started finding its stride in Japan, so the former never took off like it did in other territories.

One thing that's interesting about modern wuxia/xianxia is that a lot of the trappings of Japanese isekai novels have seeped into it. The sequel to Martial World, True Martial World, even stars a Chinese guy from our world transported to a xianxia world instead of being straight pure xianxia like the original.

You know, regular Japanese highschooler transported into a Dragon Quest-esque fantasy world where he gets a video game menu screen and can level up his abilities. See: Dungeon Seeker, Re: Zero, Mushoku Tensei and the like.

I made a thread about them here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1329497

It's just now it's a Chinese person, and into a xianxia world. Hell, there are even the Chinese equivalent of 'chuunibyou' people now, essentially middle schooler syndrome where you pretend you have superpowers or pretend to be an anime character, where kids call each other "Fellow Daoist" and cultivate.

It's kind of strange, but not unexpected, that they merged a bit.

Xandremi

I agree, i also read ISSTH, Coiling Dragon, Stellar Transformation, Douluo Lou, Martial World, and many others and i can't help but imagine how well they would translate into video games. I would kill to have Action RPGs with my xianxia novels

Evilisk

Can't really think of many that would fit.

The first thing that came to mind for me was Key of Heaven/Kingdom of Paradise/Tenchi no Mon for PSP (and also it's Japanese only sequel), but I don't know if that'd count as Wuxia

On the topic of Dynasty Warriors, the crossover Warriors Orochi titles definitely tap into Chinese mythology. Aside from Journey to the West characters, there's figures like Fu Xi, Nu Wa, Shennong, Nezha etc. (there's also Japanese mythological/folk characters as well but that's not really relevant)

Not sure if that would fit what OP was looking for but that's all I can think of

For those unaware, most recently, that puppet thing ElectricThunder is talking about: Gen Urobuchi of Fate/Zero, Madoka Magica and Kikokugai fame actually helped out with a wuxia anime - but it wasn't anime in 2D, it was puppet based.

Thunderbolt Fantasy. Yes, those are puppets.

...I really need to watch this

Can't really think of many that would fit.

The first thing that came to mind for me was Key of Heaven/Kingdom of Paradise/Tenchi no Mon for PSP (and also it's Japanese only sequel), but I don't know if that'd count as Wuxia

On the topic of Dynasty Warriors, the crossover Warriors Orochi titles definitely tap into Chinese mythology. Aside from Journey to the West characters, there's figures like Fu Xi, Nu Wa, Shennong, Nezha etc. (there's also Japanese mythological/folk characters as well but that's not really relevant)

Not sure if that would fit what OP was looking for but that's all I can think of

...I really need to watch this

If you've got the service, it's on Crunchyroll.

massoluk

Banned
Shachou Eiyuuden: The Eagle Shooting Heroes

42354_frontp2yfc.jpg

It’s a pretty obscure PS1 RPG with turn-based combat that’s based on a series of wuxia novels. Not sure if it was ever fan-translated into English or if it's any good though.
WTF, I never know a Jin Yong novel was made for PS1.

Seriously though, Wuxia is ripe for AAA open world setting. Condor Hero alone got everything, steppe setting, ancient cities, intricate plot, boat trip to a maze of an island, colorful characters filled with personalities, MC zero to hero journey, military actions, and fucking MC raised by Genghis Khan.

_Ryo_

Epilogue of Shenmue 2 takes place in Guilin, China.

First part takes place in Hong Kong, then it moves over to Kowloon's walled city.

Shenmue 3 will take place in China in in Bailu and Chobu.

4Tran

One thing that's interesting about modern wuxia/xianxia is that a lot of the trappings of Japanese isekai novels have seeped into it. The sequel to Martial World, True Martial World, even stars a Chinese guy from our world transported to a xianxia world instead of being straight pure xianxia like the original.

You know, regular Japanese highschooler transported into a Dragon Quest-esque fantasy world where he gets a video game menu screen and can level up his abilities. See: Dungeon Seeker, Re: Zero, Mushoku Tensei and the like.

I made a thread about them here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1329497

It's just now it's a Chinese person, and into a xianxia world. Hell, there are even the Chinese equivalent of 'chuunibyou' people now, essentially middle schooler syndrome where you pretend you have superpowers or pretend to be an anime character, where kids call each other "Fellow Daoist" and cultivate.

It's kind of strange, but not unexpected, that they merged a bit.
I think that the trend started back when Huang Yi started writing books. The ideas in his books merged with isekai stuff because isekai stuff is super easy to research and write compared to the knowledge and work required to write historical novels. In any case, I think of modern wuxia as the material written from 1950-1990. The newer stuff should be more accurately described as postmodern wuxia.

Seriously though, Wuxia is ripe for AAA open world setting. Condor Hero alone got everything, steppe setting, ancient cities, intricate plot, boat trip to a maze of an island, colorful characters filled with personalities, MC zero to hero journey, military actions, and fucking MC raised by Genghis Khan.
I think the problem with taking a wuxia story and using it wholecloth as a setting for a game is that it's too predefined, and well-explored. Even Chinese games don't do it all that much.

Epilogue of Shenmue 2 takes place in Guilin, China.

First part takes place in Hong Kong, then it moves over to Kowloon's walled city.

Shenmue 3 will take place in China in in Bailu and Chobu.
Taking place in China does not a wuxia make. For that, we're talking about specific story settings, social systems, and an emphasis on the specifics of martial arts.

Dio

Banned
I think that the trend started back when Huang Yi started writing books. The ideas in his books merged with isekai stuff because isekai stuff is super easy to research and write compared to the knowledge and work required to write historical novels. In any case, I think of modern wuxia as the material written from 1950-1990. The newer stuff should be more accurately described as postmodern wuxia.

The more you know. I'm not Chinese and I can't read Chinese, so it's interesting to hear more history about that.

I also find it interesting that a lot of people, even english speaking ones, are gravitating suddenly towards translated Chinese xianxia on sites like novelupdates :

http://robynpaterson.com/?p=3823

Now that people like Deathblade are translating I Shall Seal the Heavens and it's on like, chapter goddamn 1300 or something even in its translation I can see the craving for epic, longrunning fantasy stories outside the 'norm' that English speakers are used to.

Some Nobody

I think the problem with taking a wuxia story and using it wholecloth as a setting for a game is that it's too predefined, and well-explored. Even Chinese games don't do it all that much.

I see where you're coming from here, but the mass public has barely has an idea what wuxia even is, let alone being tired of it. If the West got Condor Hero or something along those lines in a AAA action open world game? It'd be a massive hit, I think.

wapplew

I would kill of any AAA production in Chinese setting, any era.
AssasinCreed in ancient China, proper open world AC or Wuxia Souls, Chinese Nioh, anything.

HeatBoost

why the fuck doesn't china make video games (that aren't shameful clones) anyway

is it the government's fault

i bet it's the fucking government's fault

wapplew

why the fuck doesn't china make video games (that aren't shameful clones) anyway

is it the government's fault

i bet it's the fucking government's fault

That market is too easy for them, no need to put too much effort.
No publisher will spend AAA budget to make games when they can get easy money, very much like Capcom with MH.

Dio

Banned
I would kill of any AAA production in Chinese setting, any era.
AssasinCreed in ancient China, proper open world AC or Wuxia Souls, Chinese Nioh, anything.

What's funny is that in the case of xianxia specifically even there's like, a million bajillion things you can do.

Some of the more recent stories I've seen put ridiculous numbers and sizes to things that would be pretty awesome to see.

For example, worlds with hundreds of billions of people on them. People capable of making their body so dense that it weighs millions of pounds, being able to fistfight a super huge dragon the size of a mountain, et cetera.

I think the funniest recent one I read was actually a total parody/sendup of the genre:

http://www.novelupdates.com/series/historys-strongest-senior-brother/

The MC is from our world and ended up being incarnated into the body of a powerful pretty prince guy - it's just that, well, the way things are it's clear that he's not the MC, but instead the 'I'll underestimate you and become a stepping stone' I.E. a cocky midboss destined to lose. He has to deal with the ""MC"" having super bullshit typical plot armor and work his way around the universe seemingly wanting everything to go the ""MC's"" way - before he was incarnated into that body, the princely guy slept with the MC's girl and generally set himself up as the perfect 'I MUST GET REVENGE ON HIM!!!!!!' for the MC, you know how wuxia/xianxia royal, arrogant pretty boys are set up as villains - but since our protagonist is well aware of the tropes he manages to sidestep multiple fiascos, even completely messing up what's clearly supposed to be the MC's harem.

I see where you're coming from here, but the mass public has barely has an idea what wuxia even is, let alone being tired of it. If the West got Condor Hero or something along those lines in a AAA action open world game? It'd be a massive hit, I think.

Because people don't know what it is, that's why publishers aren't rushing out to make games based on wuxia settings nor are western/Japanese developers (largely unfamiliar with wuxia due to wuxia being a very low popularity media outside China/East Asia) interested in making them since they know nothing of it.

In a different timeline, the success of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon sparked a wuxia popularity boom, and leads to adaptions & western localisations of Four Great Classical Novels, Jinyong's Condor Trilogy, among other things.

And more games that dare to challenge the gorgeous, vast vista of China of all eras, as well as themes like Confucianism & Taoism.

Those gifs look great! I too find it rather strange how few games are set in such a setting. :(

There's actually a lot of games set in such settings.

There's like 4-5 different game adaptions of Smiling Proud Wanderer, and I believe there are at least 1-2 game each from the Condor Heroes Trilogy.

And between stuff like The Legend of Sword and Fairy, etc, there are quite a few wuxia games out there.

All of them are pretty much unlocalised PC games. =/

Also, a lot of them are baddddd games because they're janky af and made on a budget by inexperienced Chinese devs in late 90s/early 2000s.

wapplew

Those gifs look great! I too find it rather strange how few games are set in such a setting. :(

China and Taiwan have too much of them. 900 Journey to the west, 8000 Jin Yong, 9000 Romance of Three Kingdoms...
Only handful of decent game, the rest are cash grab MMO, webgame, mobile games. Not a lot of action game tho.

Dio

Banned
Blade & Soul.

Yeah, I've heard and seen good things, but to be honest I'm not all that excited about playing MMOs and mobile games re: this genre. I'm already aware of Age of Wushu and a metric fuckton of iOS and Android free-to-play titles and, well, eh. The true beauty and excitement of a setting like this are hamstrung like that.

The things I would be excited about personally are either linear character action games, open world or linear single player ARPG games, or hell, even a cool Dungeon Fighter-esque side scrolling action game would be nice. That's why this Project X title makes me excited.

4Tran

The more you know. I'm not Chinese and I can't read Chinese, so it's interesting to hear more history about that.
That's really too bad if you like these kinds of stories. If you're interested in these kinds of stories, the only ways to read them are either through the original or a translation. In English, you really won't find much in the way of official translations, and the fan translations only capture a small portion of the quality of the prose.

Historically, wuxia fiction has been in Chinese literature for a very long time. The genre comes from the words "wu" - martial, and "xia" - hero/knight errant. Basically, these stories are about people using their martial arts to perform heroic deeds, righting wrongs, and punishing evildoers.

Modern wuxia starts in the '50s in Hong Kong as novels serialized in newspapers. What separates this from their predecessors is that a lot of the conventions of wuxia were codified and shared amongst the writers of the genre. This is where things like the chivalric code, the ways the martial arts schools were laid out, the concept of "wulin", and the shared world of "jianghu", and the dichotomies of inner/outer strength and orthodox/unorthodox behavior worked.

The main figures in this period are Jin Yong, Gu Long, and Liang Yusheng. Of these, Jin Yong is especially important because not only is he still super popular to this day, but every single person who writes Chinese fantasy or historical novels has read him and is influenced by him.

In the 1980s, all of the big established names had stopped writing and Huang Yi came onto the scene. While some of his stories, particularly the early ones, were fairly conventional modern wuxia, he started combining wuxia and time travel or outright fantasy novels in the 1990s. I believe that the phrase "xuanhuan" (at least the stuff with any relationship to wuxia) was first applied to his writing.

If you're interested, you can check out some fan translations here: http://wuxiasociety.com/translations/

For Jin Yong, the best places to start would be either "The Legend of the Condor Heroes – 射鵰英雄傳 | 射雕英雄传" or "Laughing Proudly at the World – 笑傲江湖 | 笑傲江湖". If you want to read one of the first xuanhuan novels, you can check out "The Search for Qin – 尋秦記 | 寻秦记".

I also find it interesting that a lot of people, even english speaking ones, are gravitating suddenly towards translated Chinese xianxia on sites like novelupdates :

http://robynpaterson.com/?p=3823

Now that people like Deathblade are translating I Shall Seal the Heavens and it's on like, chapter goddamn 1300 or something even in its translation I can see the craving for epic, longrunning fantasy stories outside the 'norm' that English speakers are used to.
That's definitely something that modern wuxia has in common. Jin Yong's Deer and the Cauldron has over 1.6M words, and Huang Yi's Tang Dynasty Twin Dragons has around 6M words. In comparison, War and Peace is under 600,000 words.

The problem is twofold: the first is that the primary audience for any game like this will have to be China itself, and it would be hard to tailor a game for that market. The second issue is that wuxia works a lot better if the person experiencing it is familiar with the genre and the setting. For something like Condor Hero, the setting is not only unfamiliar in the West, but it's also extremely complex, with multiple cultures, multiple kingdoms, and all of their associated politics. It'd be easier to ease the genre into the West with something a lot less ambitious.

Top Bottom