• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Halo Wars Definitive Edition Coming to Steam (Using Steam Features)

Via a Halo modder who has done some data mining in the past along with getting into a bit of a spat with Microsoft after getting banned for leaking the Halo Wars 2 OST and then threatening to spoil/leak the game. So put as much stock in this as you want.

Note: Halo Wars Definitive Edition is not yet sold separate from the Ultimate Edition of Halo Wars 2 but has been confirmed to be later this year. The game also does not have any crossplay with the XB1 version.

HroYomN.png

MiW827e.png

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I suppose it could just be a Steam build that was never meant to see the light of day like whatever those those original trilogy listings were.

Yeah he could have it backwards. Perhaps this is a build once intended for Steam that was repurposed for the Windows store after Microsoft changed strategy

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe on the first uwp game but this is like what the 5th?

It's possible that they were going to release Halo Wars on Steam quite some time ago but held off. The Halo games were all part of a leak a few years ago that turned out to be very accurate. In fact out of all games in the leak there isn't much other than the a Halo games that didn't come true. It's possible Microsoft began preparing Steam versions of these games a few years ago but changed their minds for whatever reason and then built on that for this release.

It's all speculation though, so it's just possible. Could be Microsoft is thinking of Steam releases now. I really don't know

pizzacat

Banned
It's possible that they were going to release Halo Wars on Steam quite some time ago but held off. The Halo games were all part of a leak a few years ago that turned out to be very accurate. In fact out of all games in the leak there isn't much other than the a Halo games that didn't come true. It's possible Microsoft began preparing Steam versions of these games a few years ago but changed their minds for whatever reason and then built on that for this release.

It's all speculation though, so it's just possible. Could be Microsoft is thinking of Steam releases now. I really don't know
Yeah anything is possible right now, it's real weird. I remember Jeff gerstmann from giant bomb talking about his first demo of MCC involving a "move mouse to dots" text during the wake up scene for halo 1

rrs

Seems odd MS would head back to steam. As for the Halo games found on steam, perhaps if the MCC wasn't such a mess behind the scenes it would had been ported. Also, this has to take into consideration where in Microsoft's attempt to bring life to winstore, as it might had been a loss inbetween steam and winstore push.

LewieP

Seems odd MS would head back to steam.

Yeah it would be a good way of undermining their Play Anywhere initiative, and convince people to never ever buy any games on the Windows 10 App Store.

It would be a good thing though.

sibarraz

Banned
Yeah it would be a good way of undermining their Play Anywhere initiative, and convince people to never ever buy any games on the Windows 10 App Store.

Depends

People like me will still buy their play anywhere games since I have both an xbox and a pc

But with this you are also reaching that audience that wants nothing with the windows store or the xbox

MUnited83

For you.
It could also just be the overlay
Steam Overlay does not look like that.
Seems odd MS would head back to steam. As for the Halo games found on steam, perhaps if the MCC wasn't such a mess behind the scenes it would had been ported. Also, this has to take into consideration where in Microsoft's attempt to bring life to winstore, as it might had been a loss inbetween steam and winstore push.

At some point they don't want to lose money on those ports anymore I'd guess. This would sell around 5 copies in their crappy store.

Hell yes. This is why I didn't buy the Halo Wars 1+2 bundle on the Windows store. It's nice to see Microsoft realizing their walled garden is also walling out plenty of interested customers.

Well, yeah, exactly, and they clearly didn't make the money back, which is why they would bring it to Steam.

The game isn't even on sale yet, you have to buy the most expensive version of Halo Wars 2 to get the game.
Halo Wars for PC(Xbox One) isn't aim for "make money back" since beginning.

rrs

Well, yeah, exactly, and they clearly didn't make the money back, which is why they would bring it to Steam.
this logic could also be applied to say, gears 4 or FH3. If microsoft wanted the $$$, those games would also be on steam as well.

Judging by some replies here, if halo wars is put on steam it would just hurt winstore even more through people just waiting for a steam release.

Leb

Hopefully this isn't the case. The financial interests of the corporation and its shareholders should be paramount and consumers should not encourage or engage in any activity that might undermine these interests.

Remember that the rights and privileges of large corporations are under assault and that the matter of corporate personhood is the civil rights issue of our generation; consider this and then comport yourself accordingly.

I wouldn't be too shocked really. It's an old game. I don't think this is any sort of evidence their new releases will hit Steam though, at least not at first. Maybe they'll keep 1st party exclusive to Windows Store for 2-3 years then release Steam versions

This would be wild, would it be the first Microsoft exclusive to be on Steam?

Quantum break is a MS ip but it was made by a 3rd party developer. Clearly they had sway to put on steam

Then you have games like forza horizon 3 which is a MS ip but made by a 3p dev, playground games. But it's not on steam. It does have crossplay though so not sure if that factored into it with their services. Same with gears 4 except they own the studio.

I don't think most folks will care.

Just figured it was worth noting. Halo Wars 1/2 are the only first party play anywhere titles without Xbox One crossplay since ReCore. Perhaps that would influence it's chances to be given the OK for a Steam release or not.

Syf

Banned
Another remaster rumor I've been burned on too many times. Would love to see it but won't believe til I do.

Just figured it was worth noting. Halo Wars 1/2 are the only first party play anywhere titles without Xbox One crossplay since ReCore. Perhaps that would influence it's chances to be given the OK for a Steam release or not.

Yea and it probably tanked because of it. I wouldn't touch a windows store multiplayer game without crossplay.

LewieP

Depends

People like me will still buy their play anywhere games since I have both an xbox and a pc

But with this you are also reaching that audience that wants nothing with the windows store or the xbox

A big portion of the already small audience for the Windows Store today are only buying games there begrudgingly, and would prefer to buy them on Steam or indeed anywhere else.

Yes some people would still want to get games there, but that number would get a lot smaller if MS published PC games were on Steam too.

rrs

Quantum break is a MS ip but it was made by a 3rd party developer. Clearly they had sway to put on steam.
yeah, remedy most likely has a contract that allows self-publishing after a year or two which allowed alan wake and quantum break to be put on steam
I don't think so. Microsoft published QB on steam. Remedy had to get MS's permission to put Alan Wake on PC.

Yea and it probably tanked because of it. I wouldn't touch a windows store multiplayer game without crossplay.
yeah, this very much hurt the winstore version CoD game that came out

Hell my ultimate edition of HW2 came with HW1 and the shit windows store says I own it but won't download it. Tried all sorts of ways. Microsoft just needs to bail on their shit store and apps.

Only two of their games have worked pretty much flawless on the store. Gears of War 4 and Killer Instinct.

Bluth54

Are PC gamers buying games on the Windows 10 App store though? The leaks for Rise of the Tomb Raider suggested less than 2% of PC sales were on the Windows 10 store and the rest on Steam while on launch day Infinite Warfare had 2 or 3 people playing online on the Windows 10 store version.

Microsoft undermined thee Windows 10 store themselves by making it so shitty for games and burning PC games on Games for Windows Live.

Trago

I hope it's true. The more Microsoft games on Steam the better.

And while they're at it, bring Recore and Gears 4 to Steam so I can play them already.

W.S.

Well after Win 10 store & Steam the next stop for MS titles is GoG, Green Man Gaming, Origin & Uplay shop.

You wanna get nuts, lets get nuts c'mon!

g3sSDo.gif

Pizza

Shit I'll be slightly salty if halo 1 and 2 come to steam after I've been dealing with this absolute trash windows store to get through them lol

wwm0nkey

Would be nice to have Halo 1 - Reach on Steam. A man can dream.

Hey its always possible I guess, depends on where MS goes with their whole PC thing. Halo Wars is actually big enough to sell so this might help push them to doing more Steam releases

yeah, remedy most likely has a contract that allows self-publishing after a year or two which allowed alan wake and quantum break to be put on steam
I don't think so. Microsoft published QB on steam. Remedy had to get MS's permission to put Alan Wake on PC.

Top Bottom