• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear White People |OT| Bet You Think The Show Is About You

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelipeMGM

show is fire, even better than the movie. Great character development of most of the main cast (Reggie no so much I think), and the reflections about this generation are not cringy at all, instead they have a bunch of relatable stuff. Humor on point too

Looking forward for a season 2 confirmation

Deepwater

okay, small question about episode 5!

Excuse my ignorant white ass (and i'm not from america)

is it really bad to say the N-word when you just sing along a song? It seems a little extreme to me

at the very least, don't say it around black people if you're not black.

As black people are born, and raised here in America, we are forced to confront the generational trauma that is our past and present. Many of us have come to the conclusion that hearing the word from non blacks (but especially white people) makes us uncomfortable. Several of us don't like hearing the word (whether it ends in -er or -a) at all.

Say it in your head, say it when nobody's around, hell, say when you're amongst exclusively non black folk. Just don't say it within earshot. It's a respect thing

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
okay, small question about episode 5!

Excuse my ignorant white ass (and i'm not from america)

is it really bad to say the N-word when you just sing along a song? It seems a little extreme to me

It's really that bad. Just don't say it unless you want to come off as a hateful bigot.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You don't come off as a hateful bigot if you ain't black and say nigga, you come off as a headass

An insensitive, ignorant headass, especially if you continue to do it after knowing that it bothers people, which you absolutely already should know.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Really my only criticism for the show...

Could have done without the love triangle. Well, love rectangle.

Addi

Damn, black don't crack.

Checked some other ages, Reggie surprised me more, he is the same age! Sam's 28, Gabe's 30, Lionel is 24. It doesn't really bother me, college students are of all ages and actors actually need time to study acting before actually acting, I just couldn't suspend my disbelief when they weren't old enough to buy drinks though.

Shredderi

Just finished it. It was ok. Pretty solid.
It didn't make much sense for Gabe to call the campus cops, like even to his character, so I guess it was made like that in order to move the plot forward. I think the point was that it should be ok to call the campus police when a fight etc. breaks out, without there being real fear that they will pull a gun on you. It made sense for a white guy to think it would be ok, after all, they're just campus police.

Lionel and Coco were my favourite characters for different reasons.

Necrovex

Binged watched it. Most likely it'll be my favorite show of the year. I loved the Dear White People film, and this blew it out of the water. I loved the time it spent to develop some of the characters who seemed underplayed in the film.

I noticed some of the plot lines were hidden in the background, which I assume will be developed if later seasons are created. This was a brilliantly written satire.

As someone who worked with both many black and white colleagues. I've seen white friends pull the same shit on my black friends as the characters do in this show.

Galang

Banned
Just finished episode 10 and this series is amazing. I hope it actually gets the acclaim and support it deserves after such a solid start. My only hope for next season is that the girl with the dog (Sorbet?) replaces Reggie in the main cast... He's had a few good moments, but most of the time he's such a douchebag.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Just finished it. It was ok. Pretty solid.
It didn't make much sense for Gabe to call the campus cops, like even to his character, so I guess it was made like that in order to move the plot forward. I think the point was that it should be ok to call the campus police when a fight etc. breaks out, without there being real fear that they will pull a gun on you. It made sense for a white guy to think it would be ok, after all, they're just campus police.

Lionel and Coco were my favourite characters for different reasons.

Coco didn't grow on me until the end.

The fucks to give rant.

As for your other point.

Show subtly inserted the campus police as a competent, benign force with them being called to the blackface party and there being no incidents at all.

Bronx-Man

Banned
On my third bingewatch because damn I love this show.

That alumni kid bartending for Troy & Lionel was an adorable lil' mf, I hope he's back in season 2.

Blackhead

Redarse
I think it's important to note with Gabe's action is that
he keeps stressing that the campus cops are not supposed to have guns / he didn't know they have guns. (Of course this might be his white privilege as minorities might not be so oblivious). If campus cops don't have guns then *ahem* is it any different than calling the bouncers at the club to break up a fight?

The other complaint is that the campus cops showed up so fast. in my experience campus cops usually know the sites of advertised student parties and usually do their rounds close by...

Surfinn

Finished the show. Some cool scenes in the final episode. But nothing touches EP5. That got me to finally watch moonlight

Opto

Banned
Episode five image
t3OiZK7.png
this is gonna get some mileage

breakfuss

Didn't have the highest expectations going in since I thought it'd just be a retread of the movie. I made it to episode 4 over the weekend and honestly it may actually be better than the movie. Coco's storyline is my favorite at the moment. So much to chew off with her.

Everytime I post about this show/movie I have to mention what a disservice I think the title does it! I still find that it's more racially introspective (if that makes sense) than anything else.

And, yes, Nia Long is still bad. Goddamn.

Didn't have the highest expectations going in since I thought it'd just be a retread of the movie. I made it to episode 4 over the weekend and honestly it may actually be better than the movie. Coco's storyline is my favorite at the moment. So much to chew off with her.

Everytime I post about this show/movie I have to mention what a disservice I think the title does it! I still find that it's more racially introspective (if that makes sense) than anything else.

And, yes, Nia Long is still bad. Goddamn.

Nah, nothing's wrong with the title and it's even addressed in the show itself. The minute I saw it up on Netflix I saw it only had a 2 and a half star rating. Of course it was offended white people who saw the title got mad and just gave it a bad rating without watching an episode. That's on them.

caliph95

Nah, nothing's wrong with the title and it's even addressed in the show itself. The minute I saw it up on Netflix I saw it only had a 2 and a half star rating. Of course it was offended white people who saw the title got mad and just gave it a bad rating without watching an episode. That's on them.
Ypu can tell from the reddit thread where it has like around 60% yet the top comments are actually positive on the show.

Jotakori

I just binge-watched this entire show today. Holy wow, it was excellent. I definitely hope it gets another season!

I loved all the different perspectives, and that they had characters of all different voices and opinions. I also really enjoyed seeing a few themes outside of just racism explored within the story (like finding one's place, coming to terms with sexuality, battling with what's right and what's easy, etc). I'm so glad I took the time to try out this show!

GKnight

Banned
Episode ten
Gabe you dumb dude. Yeah Sam fucked up but she chose him in the end after what he did. Him calling the cops over an argument and a barely physical fight between friends was some stupid shit though.

Yeah I mean,
when in a relationship you can always just go sleep with other people to see what its like. That's totally okay! err...

Izuna

Banned
I can't get into this show...

I kinda hoped it wouldn't be like the movie but it's even more of what I hated.

MaximL

Sat down to watch an episode yesturay, binged watched the entire thing (Praise bank holiday mondays).

Loved it, and thought all the cast were amazing. The messages were all great and it showed how complex the entire race issue is and how many different perspective there are from POC.

As a white Brit my experience/understand on the subject is very limited, but the show demonstrated everything really well, delivering powerful & naunced messages.

Look forward to season 2!

daffy

Banned
this was so much better than the movie. the actors being hella old took me out of it at times, like its just always in the back of your mind kind of thing.

But super feeling it, hope it gets as many seasons as possible. Anyone else HATED those coffee shop liberal friends of Gabe? Actually just his whole shit in general was silly.

Shredderi

this was so much better than the movie. the actors being hella old took me out of it at times, like its just always in the back of your mind kind of thing.

But super feeling it, hope it gets as many seasons as possible. Anyone else HATED those coffee shop liberal friends of Gabe? Actually just his whole shit in general was silly.

Definitely wasn't one of my favourite characters. The whole "#HateItWhenBaeLeaves" was just dumb and inconsiderate in the context of his relationship with Sam, in my opinion.

HiiiLife

Episode ten
Gabe you dumb dude. Yeah Sam fucked up but she chose him in the end after what he did. Him calling the cops over an argument and a barely physical fight between friends was some stupid shit though.

Nah.
Gabe deserved better. Like the Asian chick. I ship it for season 2.

Also Coco
will be Olivia Pope before Olivia Pope is Olivia Pope.

Oppo

Only 3 eps in, but I think I like it so far. It's very watchable. I wasn't sure at first - that first scene with Sam and Joelle (sp?) I was like... wow, this dialog is fucking terrible. Like someone tried to Sorkin a bunch of Tumblr slang. However that quickly fell away, I think the writers were just rushing and tried to make things too dense. I like the way it basically takes shots at everyone.

Lionel is clearly the star, that kid is hilarious, has great presence. Sort of reminded me of Zero from Grand Budapest Hotel.

thespot84

being blackmailed by Kurt, the President's son/the editor of the Pastiche magazine. It was briefly hinted at but they are probably saving that plot thread for next season[/spoiler]

Kurt used the video to force Troy to give him a 'social' pardon once Troy became president. I'm sure it could come up again but the plot line seemed pretty wrapped up to me.

TheYanger

That's fucking disgusting ^

Just finished episode 5 (Reggie), that was definitely the most powerful one so far. Been really digging the show.

I just binged watched all of this last night. Thought I was only going to watch a couple of episodes but I spent my entire night watching it and it was fucking worth it.

Show is incredibly sharp with well-developed characters and of course powerful subject matter.

The Reggie episode, which I'm sure I'm not alone in, got to me the most.

My only complaint I have with the show is some of the dialogue, it kinda feels like what some Hollywood writer thinks what "all the kids are saying!". But that was mostly in the first few episodes.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Seriously, even a lot of interiors, it looked like. And those steps in the Kerckhoff Patio that I never, ever, saw anybody use as the setting for a big plot point early on (
Sam going to the Dean
) was kinda funny too.

Take a drink every time you see ucla

:dead from just the trailer:

Opto

Banned
Yeah I mean,
when in a relationship you can always just go sleep with other people to see what its like. That's totally okay! err...

I very much didn't say that. But the events that led up to the cheating were very human. She felt guilty for not being there for Reggie. But she instantly regretted it and chose Gabe. Her reasons for a one time thing that she didn't even like in the end are much more understandable than Gabe's speeddial to the cops. Really it just felt like Gabe didn't want to put in the effort.

Nah.
Gabe deserved better. Like the Asian chick. I ship it for season 2.
akumi would not go for that, are you kidding me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom