• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear White People |OT| Bet You Think The Show Is About You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barzul

Rashid is a fucking savage.

tumblr_op7gpwKz0t1w0egxoo4_1280.png
tumblr_op7gpwKz0t1w0egxoo5_1280.png
tumblr_op7gpwKz0t1w0egxoo6_1280.png
I swear I've used this line with my friends several times. It never fails lol

Lulubop

I thought it was ight, with the first half being much better than the second half. I guess I was more intrigued by the individual characters story introductions than the overarching plot . I thought Lionel and Coco were the best characters, but honestly it's because I found them to be the only two that were likable. I think that article has a lot of truth. Still Logan Browning is the baddest chick I've ever seen.

Just finished the series, absolutely loved it. I never saw the movie so I'm rectifying that right now and then I'll probably blaze through the show all over again

Zero315

Banned
Watched all of it over the course of two days and loved it. I was worried that some of the cast changes from the movie would put me off, but I think all the new actors did a very good job. New Coco isn't as good as movie Coco, but still pretty good. New Gabe isn't as hot as movie Gabe was either.

The only real issue I had was the cliché storyline about Lionel having a crush on his straight roommate and how creepy it started to get.

Watched all of it over the course of two days and loved it. I was worried that some of the cast changes from the movie would put me off, but I think all the new actors did a very good job. New Coco isn't as good as movie Coco, but still pretty good. New Gabe isn't as hot as movie Gabe was either.

The only real issue I had was the cliché storyline about Lionel having a crush on his straight roommate and how creepy it started to get.

The "manties" scene in particular was.......ugh

Well she went to Alpha Delta Rho because she had a crush on Troy who appeared to only be talking to sorority girls.

She only met and roomed with Sam because the housing system but her in the black house against her wishes. It seemed on her housing application she listed as her preferences all other residences except that one (but her 'black' name probably got her sorted where else)

And Coco is 'bougie' but she was raised in Chicago projects and has a white father figure/foster parent/mentor? Lots of contradictions there...

Was this in the movie? I watched the show like 4 times, but I never caught this?

Oh, and I wanted to share a review of the st two episodes with y'all. It's good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Cf9pT5XVw

Logan Browning is an uncomfortably attractive woman. Good lord...

Also I love the show, liking it a lot more than the movie for the standard reasons--lots more character development and depth.

Ugh I hate when racial consciousness/topics exclusively is brought up in a white/black context. African Americans are far from the only minorities affected by racism in the US, yet they are almost seen as ambassadors of the non-white side of the racial dialogue. Many minorities relate as little to black people as they do to white - blacks dont represent all of us. So dear black people: stop acting like racial representation is a white vs black thing.

Ok, I get you may feel underrepresented and very frustrated, but Black Americans fought hard to establish that dialogue. It wouldn't exist if they hadn't earned it through decades of constant grueling reinforcement.

Aizo

Banned
Still like half way through, but do others feel that the depiction of Rashid and the jokes against him feel a bit othering? There have been a few times where I felt like the show punched down at other groups, and that just didn't feel right, like the depiction of those one dimensional "feminist" characters in the brief conversation about Troy's presidency. They're belittled and parodied.

Think that and some clunky, slightly out of date language are my only problems so far.

--
Other gaffers bothered by the fake gaming scene? Haha

I think by now we're used to see the corny unrealistic game scenes in games, but are me and Angelus the only ones that find Coco and Joelle the most attractive of the girls? Sam is just okay to me.

That stream was everything. Ashley Blaine seems really sweet. I'm also getting some insight on scenes I never thought about before like when they talked about the AKAs and Coco's party.

Dear White People, telling someone you never thought you could be into black women is not a compliment.

Was this in the movie? I watched the show like 4 times, but I never caught this?

It was in episode 9. When she goes to the party with Troy and is talking to the rich white assholes she mentions she was tutored/mentored by some guy, whom he is aware of. It also goes on to show her on a bench talking to him in that episode and mentions she was "plucked" out of an inner city school and groomed by him. It's laid out in bits and pieces but it's absolutely there.

LotusHD

Banned
Still like half way through, but do others feel that the depiction of Rashid and the jokes against him feel a bit othering? There have been a few times where I felt like the show punched down at other groups, and that just didn't feel right, like the depiction of those one dimensional "feminist" characters in the brief conversation about Troy's presidency. They're belittled and parodied.

Definitely. It's this weird thing I feel like I've seen several times where they either give the African character all the funny one-liners, or they make him the occasional butt of jokes because "lol African", but don't really go much further than that. It's awkward in that Rashid is pretty damn funny, and they do genuinely consider him to be a friend, but I still notice it nonetheless. That's why I was hoping
he'd get his own episode, but alas...

Fuchsdh

Definitely. It's this weird thing I feel like I've seen several times where they either give the African character all the funny one-liners, or they make him the occasional butt of jokes because "lol African", but don't really go much further than that. It's awkward in that Rashid is pretty damn funny, and they do genuinely consider him to be a friend, but I still notice it nonetheless. That's why I was hoping
he'd get his own episode, but alas...

Just finished up. I feel like in general even with the expanded amount of time to develop characters a lot of them still come off as ideological camps (I haven't seen the film so I can't really compare them to the film versions). But I'm not sure the Vice article, especially, is actually that accurate. The whole point of the clicking stuff is pointing out the cultural blindness of the African-American students to "native" Africans, not to reduce Africans to "oh they have weird-sounding languages."

I suppose you can argue that the show doesn't give enough time to African views on race and such, but it's a show set at an American school. It's not about Africans, and complaining that a show isn't what you want doesn't seem like it's actually fair to the show. It's only really applicable in broad terms of prejudice being universal.

mm04

Just finished it and enjoyed it for the most part. Has all of the source material been exhausted for this season?

PaulloDEC

Watched this over the space of about a week and really enjoyed it. Lots of great performances and I found the way the different episodes overlapped each other to be pretty neat.

As someone with no experience of being A) American B) black or C) a student at a prestigious university I don't know how accurately the show portrays the crossover of those circumstances, but I found it interesting and maybe a little eye-opening overall nonetheless.

Prompto

Banned
Watched this in like a day. Had some problems(that love triangle storyline felt unneeded) but overall I loved it. Coco in particular was so much better in this than in the film. Hopefully season 2 gets announced soon.

Just finished it and enjoyed it for the most part. Has all of the source material been exhausted for this season?
There's really no source material. The show is more of a sequel/reboot of the film. Lots of differences.

I am liking it a lot so far. My only complain is that some social commentary dialogues read like extractions from
think pieces. They feel extremely out of place and not "organic".

I was wondering what y'all think the significance of Thane is. He's present throughout multiple episodes so I don't feel he isn't just a little aside. Justin must be saying something with his character. I don't see many reviewers touching upon him.

with Gabe in the finale,
I feel like they made him too emotional. With the way he loved Sam I expected him to give her another chance when they were at the riots,
but he convinced himself it wouldn't work.

I guess it's a way to write him out of Sam's life if that's what they were going for.

the other thing about the show is that several of the actors looked too old to be college students, and when I looked up their ages that indeed did seem to be the case. I know some of the characters reprise their roles, though

Nelo Ice

Banned
Damn you guys weren't kidding about episode 5.
When the cop pulled the gun out I was on verge of tears and seeing Reggie's fear just broke me.

Damn you guys weren't kidding about episode 5.
When the cop pulled the gun out I was on verge of tears and seeing Reggie's fear just broke me.

Yup, episode 5 made me feel like that too.

Edit: Well, I didn't know there was a movie, and I loved the series. I should probably watch it this weekend.

Kreed

Finally finished the series. Overall the show was much much better than the movie. Everyone is much more fleshed out and I liked the direction taken with characters like Coco and Troy in this show vs the film where they were just caricatures doomed to failure (Ex: Film Coco just wanting to be White, Film Troy and his White "girlfriend" Sophie). The weakest part of Dear White People is still Sam and her relationship with Gabe. Even though both are handled better in this than the film Sam's continual "questionable" decisions in the show made me like her less and less as a main character. Thankfully with the show changing perspectives to characters like Lionel, a barely likable main character isn't as big of a deal as it was in the movie. Like others pointed out in the thread, this version definitely benefited from being created after the wave of police shootings on social media, with the episodes focusing on these themes easily being the strongest, minus Coco's episode which is probably my favorite out of all of them.

Overall I enjoyed the show but after the likes of Atlanta, Insecure and later episodes of Black-ish, I definitely was expecting "more" from this show and I'm hoping with Season 2 the show will continue to improve with the comedy, and a little more "natural" message delivery (and a Rashid episode).

Tankard

Loved Dear White People so much.

Reggie is a gigantic douche, but i cared about every other character, of the main ones.

Can't wait for next season, it needs to have several, the subject is relevant anytime.

GeoGonzo

I liked it too. I'm not sure why they'd have to make a second season, though: The ending felt pretty much perfect.

My only complain is how most secondary characters were stereotypes used for laughs. I get you can't have time to flesh out eeevery character, but by the end of the season it had made me roll my eyes a few times.

Still, very glad I decided to watch this! And I don't think I could pick a favourite character, I really liked most of them, flawed as they may be.

the only other quarrel I have with this show is that one Coco episode where
that student comes up to her and runs a finger on her cheek thinking it was blackface makeup,
only to see it was her skin, and then started bursting out laughing...how the fuck did she hold the composure to NOT smack the shit out of him? Watching that scene pissed ME off.

Damn, that was a good review. I'm going to miss these. It's been like 6 weeks since I've been watching each of those reviews. My girl left for a little bit, but she came back and they got Sam for the finale. Nate be saying some sideways stuff sometimes like what was up with that "Kurt wasn't really that bad," like really? You see Raquel be thinking the same about some of his comments by her facial expressions. Dear White People is a celebration of black culture, an educational look on colorism and racial politics. It's also funny, dramatic, and plain entertaining.

This show is sooooo, so good. We need that season 2 like yesterday!

kiguel182

Finished this today and absolutely loved it. I'm neither black or American but I found the way they handled social issues to be great altought what made the series for me were the great characters, the dialogue and the actors performances. The core message was still very strong of course but without good characters and interesting conflicts I don't think it would have worked.

The story telling was a bit uneven and I wasn't always he biggest fan of the non linearity they used. One think I appreciated is how they made every character flawed but also likeable. It's hard to pull that off but they did it really well.

Hopefully it gets a second season, can't wait to see more of everyone and where this goes!

up to episode 6. really enjoyed it so far - the coco episode was great. Some funny bits.

How sure how I felt about the cop and the gun; seemed a bit of a stretch that they'd carry a gun on campus. I think in terms of race politics (where cops and guns are involved - even unreal season; albeit a shitty season 2, did it a bit better - as it felt more realistic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom