• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear White People |OT| Bet You Think The Show Is About You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfinn

I like how so many people are quick to jump on "IMAGINE THE OUTRAGE IF DEAR BLACK PEOPLE" when they didn't even look to see what the show was about.

I like how so many people are quick to jump on "IMAGINE THE OUTRAGE IF DEAR BLACK PEOPLE" when they didn't even look to see what the show was about.

There's no need to imagine it though. White people have created this show in real life for Black people for hundreds of years, however it was called, "Listen Here, Nigger".

RedAssedApe

Banned
Not surprised. Been seeing lots of dumb shit like this regarding the show. Moreso than the movie.

A lot more attention due to it being on Netflix. Also post election/trump where a lot of people have been emboldened to let their stupid/confederate flags fly in the name of free speech.

Surfinn

There's no need to imagine it though. White people have created this show in real for Black people for hundreds of years, however it was called, "Listen Here, Nigger".
And they'll respond with "ALWAYS BACK TO RACISM HUH?" Which is literally a segment in the show

Shredderi

I think the show highlighted pretty well the response the show itself would garner from certain people with the Pastische group.

Bronx-Man

Banned
This all makes me think of the Spongebob meme where the big-ass fish runs in through the doors like "SO Y'ALL CAN HAVE A SHOW CALLED DEAR WHITE PEOPLE BUT IF THERE WAS A SHOE CALLED DEAR BIG-LIPPED WIDE-NOSED NEGROS, YOU WOULD CALL US RACIST"

It also sickens me when I hear this shit from other black people. I've been going to these black entrepreneurship meetings lately and the old folks there that run them being saying y'all go out marching in the street when a cop kills one of y'all, but don't care about crime in your own neighborhoods, which is false. And then what really pissed me off is one of them saying you know why the cops are shooting you down it's because they don't respect you and you need to be respectable.

LionPride

Banned
It also sickens me when I hear this shit from other black people. I've been going to these black entrepreneurship meetings lately and the old folks there that run them being saying y'all go out marching in the street when a cop kills one of y'all, but don't care about crime in your own neighborhoods, which is false. And then what really pissed me off is one of them saying you know why the cops are shooting you down it's because they don't respect you and you need to be respectable.

Yo, don't get me fucking started. I have to argue with my grandmother and other older family about this shit

Opto

Banned

jesus

It's due to the legacy of respectability politics within a White Supremacist society.

Koppai

I finished watching this today, it was alright. I really felt the fear when that situation happened at the party. :(

Epcott

Started watching today after work and already on episode 8. Didn't think I would like it since I thought it would be just a rehash of the film... but actually began enjoying it after episode 2 due to the added character depth.

Not bad.

On my 4th watch and I'm just now noticing little stuff like in episode 1 when Sam is walking around campus listening to some singer who sounds white, but when she sees some black people coming she switches it to some pro black rap song.

GKnight

Banned
On my 4th watch and I'm just now noticing little stuff like in episode 1 when Sam is walking around campus listening to some singer who sounds white, but when she sees some black people coming she switches it to some pro black rap song.

She does that a couple times.
I think they are trying to show some kind of perspective into the mind of someone who is mixed who may have interests in both cultures but has to act a certain way to fit in to one of them.
It kind of shows a sad reality; people can't really be themselves they have to conform to a group and when conforming to a racial group that may be harder for those of mixed backgrounds.

VegiHam

I really enjoyed this show! I'm not black or American; so a lot of it was totally alien to me; but I never felt like the show didn't want me to be watching, even though it wasn't really for me, you know? Like all these characters were interesting and relatable and likeable and the show kinda trusted me to figure out the stuff I'm unfamiliar with; but it made it pretty easy for me to do so. Gave me a lot to think about too. It never really clicked for me how dumb an idea it must be to call the police in America until now. Armed security is crazy.

Also I really liked Lionel. The whole crushing on your straight roommate thing? I remember that. He's just such a dork, it's adorable.

Season 2 ASAP please!

HiiiLife

I very much didn't say that. But the events that led up to the cheating were very human. She felt guilty for not being there for Reggie. But she instantly regretted it and chose Gabe. Her reasons for a one time thing that she didn't even like in the end are much more understandable than Gabe's speeddial to the cops. Really it just felt like Gabe didn't want to put in the effort.

akumi would not go for that, are you kidding me!

Why not?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Just watching the first few episodes and I'm sure it's heightened, but some of the threads I read here make me wonder if the white characters on the show really are based on real people. :p

On the other hand I guess
seeing a black/Asian relationship would be interesting, especially since both are minorities and probably have their own problems. Romeo Must Die sort of touched on this but I'd love to see it portrayed in this series! That'd probably require an Asian writer or two though. I think it'd be interesting to see Akumi with someone like Reggie - only because I am curious how the social commentary would appear with a black male/Asian female from both minority sides.
I haven't thought about Romeo Must Die since it came out. lol

Funny enough, Fresh Off the Boat dealt with that in the most generic possible way, by talking about Tiger Woods.

I really enjoyed this show! I'm not black or American; so a lot of it was totally alien to me; but I never felt like the show didn't want me to be watching, even though it wasn't really for me, you know? Like all these characters were interesting and relatable and likeable and the show kinda trusted me to figure out the stuff I'm unfamiliar with; but it made it pretty easy for me to do so. Gave me a lot to think about too. It never really clicked for me how dumb an idea it must be to call the police in America until now. Armed security is crazy.

Also I really liked Lionel. The whole crushing on your straight roommate thing? I remember that. He's just such a dork, it's adorable.

Season 2 ASAP please!

The shows for everybody who's interested.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Dynasty

Thought the trailer was funny, going to start watching this today.

1st episode was pretty good, wasnt feeling it at 1st, thought the show was ok but loved the ending. Dont like the way some people talk tbh but I understand they do it on purpose.

UltraJay

I knew I loved this show when I saw Lionel in a Geordi La Forge costume. Though he shouldn't have gone all nerd in explaining it... should have just said that he was a great black role model as he was a engineer and leader in a typically white-led show that would have most black people play villains (Klingons).

She does that a couple times.
I think they are trying to show some kind of perspective into the mind of someone who is mixed who may have interests in both cultures but has to act a certain way to fit in to one of them.
It kind of shows a sad reality; people can't really be themselves they have to conform to a group and when conforming to a racial group that may be harder for those of mixed backgrounds.
When's the other time? And I don't think they would even been able to hear it because of the earphones.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
My only complaint I have with the show is some of the dialogue, it kinda feels like what some Hollywood writer thinks what "all the kids are saying!". But that was mostly in the first few episodes.

In this way it reminded me of Juno. Though personally I enjoyed that part of it - it is stylised. The show isn't trying for realism, even if its message is all too real.

thespot84

In this way it reminded me of Juno. Though personally I enjoyed that part of it - it is stylised. The show isn't trying for realism, even if its message is all too real.

Yeah it had a sorkin vibe too it, too cutting and too fast but we're not watching for existentialism.

Also I had to look up whether or not Aaron McGruder had a credit, some of the writing reminded me a lot of boondocks

YaBish

Just finished it. Few thoughts:

Joelle and Lionel are the best. Rashid tho... My man is the funniest dude.
We will catch them all
! 😂 That shit had me cackling. I wish he could've had his own episode.

The ending had me feeling strange, but I want more. Season two when?

Just finished it. Few thoughts:

Joelle and Lionel are the best. Rashid tho... My man is the funniest dude.
We will catch them all
! �� That shit had me cackling. I wish he could've had his own episode.

The ending had me feeling strange, but I want more. Season two when?

Rashid is a fucking savage.

tumblr_op7gpwKz0t1w0egxoo4_1280.png
tumblr_op7gpwKz0t1w0egxoo5_1280.png
tumblr_op7gpwKz0t1w0egxoo6_1280.png

LotusHD

Banned
Binged it all, I agree that it was even better than the movie, hope it gets a season 2

Loved almost everyone, but Sam, Joelle, and Troy were my favorites

Shoutout to Rashid as well, shame he didn't get his own episode, but his lines were usually fucking hilarious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom