• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can't easily play Mario Kart 8 online with friends against others.

deoee

This fact is mind boggling to me.

To play online with friends against others one of you has to join a match and the rest of your friends have to try and join the match in progress.

Why?
How can there be no proper lobby system in this day and age?

There is a friends lobby, where your friends can join (mind you, you can't invite them!) but then this game is private and you will only race your friends. Why can't i invite my friends and then make the game public?

Then there's the Cup option, where you can create your own cup. But it's the same as above - no one ever joins the cups you create.

If there's something I'm missing please let me know.

CeePhour

Banned
Nintendo's handling of everything regarding online has always been very poor.

They're still playing catch up... to 2005.

The way nintendo treat people who fight 2 v 1 in smash bros it's not a surprise that they don't want people teaming up with friends online even if most of the time everyone would play free for all.

jwk94

I'm more shocked that this system doesn't have invites yet. It makes this whole joining a friend thing too big of a hassle.
How's bomberman's multiplayer?

gossi

It doesn't have that function. You can play online multiplayer together in the same location split screen, though. But if you want online parties etc it's not that console.

deoee

It's just so backwards.

Like you can team up in a Mario Kart race and work against others...

Just such a stupid stupid stupid decision

I really regret getting it, cause I wanted to race my friends + others online.

Now we are stuck to race with 4-5 people - wow

Lobby's and Party is coming in the fall. Sucks it's not there already.

Source

DNAbro

Well I was playing online with friends all last night. One of us just opened a room and we all joined. Pretty simple.

Oh I see, we had enough people so we didn't deal with smaller races. You can fill it up with CPUs though

Also tried playing online against our producer yesterday and just couldn't get a game up and running - always got a 'can't find the other persons console' error message :(

deoee

Well I was playing online with friends all last night. One of us just opened a room and we all joined. Pretty simple.

Well this thread is about playing with friends vs randoms.

Also what if you want to play with Friend A but not B?

B can just join your lobby. There's no way to make a lobby invite only, cause there are no invites :D

jwk94

That's not op's main gripe. And that's also not simple when the console doesn't have a communication system or way to organize these things.

gogogow

Switch is a half asssed system. And MK8 Deluxe also feels like it too. I regret buying it for so few features it has.

It was only released yesterday, can't you return it?

edit: You are talking about the system? I don't think you have much problem selling the device.

Kouriozan

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

36l1GQI.png

me0wish

I'd like to see a source that confirms that as well. I used the tournament rooms to play with my friends against others, but it used to be such a hassle on MK8, too bad it wasnt addressed on MK8D.

Edit:
@Dark Cloud
It doesn't confirm if it's gonna work with MK, we're clueless on how'll it work.

"Monthly game download: Subscribers will get to download and play a Nintendo Entertainment System™ (NES) or Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ (Super NES) game (with newly-added online play) for free for a month."

Yeah, I'm sticking to emulation.

Yup, sounds like Nintendo. I probably would have preordered and been all in on Switch if Nintendo could make even modest strides with online multiplayer.

RRockman

Banned
Yeah but it doesn't say anything about Mario Kart 8.
I don't think the current online system couldn't handle it, I think the game just does not have that function >_>

That post implies that the lobbies would be game netural, and the lobby system would be built in the OS itself, rather than the game. I have no idea if the'lll implement it that way though, they haven't given us enough news on it at all.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Switch is a half asssed system. And MK8 Deluxe also feels like it too. I regret buying it for so few features it has.

Now you're taking it to far. mk8 has bad online -> the whole thing is halfassed is the kind of sweeping generalizations I come to gaf for.

duckroll

Lmao. Truly value that feels worth paying for. With solid online support in games like this, surely people will great about actually paying to play online! Amazing!

Jolkien

Well.. that's disappointing. One day Nintendo will catch up with the competition.

Wonder if I should keep my copy or just return it.

Lmao. Truly value that feels worth paying for. With solid online support in games like this, surely people will great about actually paying to play online! Amazing!

The current online isn't what you'd be paying for. When the system is fully in place you get the app with its own lobbies and voice chat.

Finally a good thread to let the salt flow... Personally 0 issues with the online mode of MK8D, played with friends, with strangers, etc etc... all good at this point. Very solid and almost no lag, i take this experience over a lot of games with "advance" online infrastructure.

jediyoshi

It doesn't have that function. You can play online multiplayer together in the same location split screen, though. But if you want online parties etc it's not that console.

It's truly a Nintendo online services thread when the line between defense and defeated statements of fact is blurred.

Finally a good thread to let the salt flow... Personally 0 issues with the online mode of MK8D, played with friends, alone with strangers, all good at this point. Very solid and almost no lag, i take this experience over a lot of games with "advance" online infrastructure.

How was breakfast this morning?

They have been stuck since 05, had plenty of time to prepare before the Switch release (after postponing it to March) and still can't offer a decent online infrastructure...

Piers

The way nintendo treat people who fight 2 v 1 in smash bros it's not a surprise that they don't want people teaming up with friends online even if most of the time everyone would play free for all.

Wasn't that largely to stop those taunt parties from Brawl?

Well this thread is about playing with friends vs randoms.

Also what if you want to play with Friend A but not B?

B can just join your lobby. There's no way to make a lobby invite only, cause there are no invites :D

You can make public and private lobbies. Public lobbies your friends can join and so can randoms if they come across the lobby. Private lobbies can only be accessed if you have the code. So doesn't that address your issues? Or have I got that wrong?

The current online isn't what you'd be paying for. When the system is fully in place you get the app with its own lobbies and voice chat.

Yeah, nah. We have years of seeing Nintendos approach to online. They're going to continue half assing it, only now you get to pay extra for it. (In the same way the "free games for online sub" is being half assed with a temporary VC game a month. Still can't believe how daft they are to believe that's a thing people want).
If I want to voice chat through my phone with my friends, I can already do that. It's 2017, nigh on everyone who would want to do it through the phone has some form of app already installed to do that, for free.

Cipherr

So it works just like MK8 on WiiU then? Possible just not as easily as it should be? Not surprising. But I do know you can do it, have raced with Twitch streamers tons last generation.

You can make public and private lobbies. Public lobbies your friends can join and so can randoms if they come across the lobby. Private lobbies can only be accessed if you have the code. So doesn't that address your issues? Or have I got that wrong?
Shhh... The online of this game is almost broken... This is the BF4 or the GT5 online of the Switch...

deoee

How do I create public lobbies with my friends? When I join a regional or global match, I get into already filled matches.

My friends can join via my profile if they are fast enough, but this is barely an option

Waji

Whether it's well done or not, cheap or not, they still want to make people pay for online.
That's the only thing I can't swallow.
And never will.

Biggad

Neo Member
I would not want to get thrown in a room of 9 friends + me for obvious reasons. And at the same time, you almost can emulate that scenario by having your friends joining you in a random lobby. If your group of friends is 10 people then maybe yeah, it'd take forever to wait until others leave and make room for them.

But then you can play in your own lobby. We always did that in mkwii and I mean, it worked.

Yeah, nah. We have years of seeing Nintendos approach to online. They're going to continue half assing it, only now you get to pay extra for it. (In the same way the "free games for online sub" is being half assed with a temporary VC game a month. Still can't believe how daft they are to believe that's a thing people want).
If I want to voice chat through my phone with my friends, I can already do that. It's 2017, nigh on everyone who would want to do it through the phone has some form of app already installed to do that, for free.

Sure, express concerns about what we'll be getting in the future when they do charge. Just understand that you won't be "paying for this," as it is right now. You'll be paying for this + whatever other features they include when the service launches. You won't be paying for literally what we have now with zero modifications.

roytheone

Whether it's well done or not, cheap or not, they still want to make people pay for online.
That's the only thing I can't swallow.
And never will.

Yeah, if these kind of basic options aren't implemented when they start to charge for online that would be pretty terrible.

Top Bottom