• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can't easily play Mario Kart 8 online with friends against others.

ViolentP

My previous experience with Nintendo products is that they tend to be more conducive to local multiplayer. May capitalize on this belief and skip the online service entirely.

Switch is a half asssed system. And MK8 Deluxe also feels like it too. I regret buying it for so few features it has.

I almost don't believe you, because of your idiotic generalization. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is anything but half assed. The online system isn't in place yet and what we have was exactly the system in the regular game, plus a few more options.

I'm not a huge online gamer so I don't care so much about lobbies, but I will say that I love how straight forward the system is and how slim the OS is. PS4 and Xbox one feel bloated in comparison.

Alpha17x

Neo Member
Nintendo's approach to everything is just baffling. If you look at their past and then look at them now; I feel an accurate description is 'so ahead of the curve they come up behind'

They were among the first, if not the very first to do any form of online console play with the Satellaview doing guided/episodic game sessions. They or tried to do a hardware based version of 'DLC' or expansion packs in the N64 days with the 64DD (extra tracks for F-Zero, supposedly more quests for Ocarina of Time). And if you look into what the Virtual boy was supposed to be before budget cuts, interference and being forced into stores in a near prototype state; it's original intent was something akin to a 16bit Rift.

For a short while it looked like they were trying to get some form of voice chat going with their portable systems as well, but it eventually became 'make random noises at dogs'.

Now they're doing strange things like friend codes instead of a normal integrated online service with search/contact browser. I just don't know what to make of it. It's like their executive section is stuck in some strange time-warp slightly out of sync with the rest of the universe.

Or I'm just tripping balls because I haven't had any coffee yet.

Exquisik

I don't have the game, but someone suggested making a public lobby. How is that not the solution?

In other games, you can create a party with your friends and then join a lobby/match together while other slots are filled with random players. And if I am correct, if you create a public lobby in MK8, your friend would have to join the lobby almost instantly, otherwise the slots well be filled with random.

The way nintendo treat people who fight 2 v 1 in smash bros it's not a surprise that they don't want people teaming up with friends online even if most of the time everyone would play free for all.

Who cares? There are so many random variables that it would hardly have an influence. So what if your friend in 9th place can't use his blue shell because your in first?

It barely affects anyone else if he doesn't want to hit you. The only time it could be a little bothersome is if they were consistently first and second, however two players that are getting to first and second place would most likely need to be much better than the rest of the lobby anyway.

I dealt with this all last night. I tried to connect with a friend for about 30 minutes and eventually just gave up.

It was frustrating and really sours the experience of playing with your friends. Outside of this, the game is flawless, which makes it even more annoying.

This fact is mind boggling to me.

To play online with friends against others one of you has to join a match and the rest of your friends have to try and join the match in progress.

Why?
How can there be no proper lobby system in this day and age?

There is a friends lobby, where your friends can join (mind you, you can't invite them!) but then this game is private and you will only race your friends. Why can't i invite my friends and then make the game public?

Then there's the Cup option, where you can create your own cup. But it's the same as above - no one ever joins the cups you create.

If there's something I'm missing please let me know.

You can join friends when they are online. So say if Bob was playing online in normal online races i can apply to join his lobby. It may take a couple of races to get there as it relies on people dropping out of that lobby - which happens every race, but it can be done.

ViolentP

Gamers have been skipping Nintendo games entirely due to this.

Everyone has a line I suppose. I certainly haven't been a fan of a Nintendo product since the Gamecube even though I've owned them all up till now. Looking for some progressive thinking this time but I guess old habits do die hard.

SenkiDala

Ahahah! Based Nintendo. I knew it. It's exactly why I didn't buy the game on Switch, after seeing the disaster of MK7, MK Wii and MK 8 on U, I knew the online will sucks, and while I don't care when it's free, I'm pretty demending when you need to pay for a service.

I know the online services of Nintendo will sucks, at least for a few years, so I'll not pay for it, so I'll not buy games that I'd like to play online. Simple.

Come on Nintendo...

You can make public and private lobbies. Public lobbies your friends can join and so can randoms if they come across the lobby. Private lobbies can only be accessed if you have the code. So doesn't that address your issues? Or have I got that wrong?
People just want to be able to join a party with their friends and then search for matches online. That way they don't have to sit in a lobby full of CPUs and hope that other people will eventually get placed in.

As far as I could tell there is no way to do that.

deoee

You can join friends when they are online. So say if Bob was playing online in normal online races i can apply to join his lobby. It may take a couple of races to get there as it relies on people dropping out of that lobby - which happens every race, but it can be done.

Try that with 4+ people + potential connection issues and it's not an option

:/

Also i still don't know how to open my own, empty public lobby...?

Revven

It's called "tournaments". Go to that option and then pick "Create a Tournament". Set your rules etc.

No, it is not what actually a tournament is, it's basically a lobby that you can create and you can get your friends in there before anyone else joins very easily.

Protome

Yeah this is a bummer. It also sucks that there are so many disconnects. I was playing on global and a full race of 12 turned into a race of 4 because one of the waves of disconnects happened.

I don't have the game, but someone suggested making a public lobby. How is that not the solution?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but the lobbies are "Tournaments" and I don't think you can match make into them? Even if you can its going to be significantly less people than are just hitting Global. So you can make a public lobby, get your friends to join and then just hope other people find and join your lobby to fill the spaces.

Online is free. When they start charging these issues should be resolved

There's literally no evidence that Nintendo is going to redo the online in older games when their full online system launches later this year. People really need to stop spreading this apologist nonsense.

Try that with 4+ people + potential connection issues and it's not an option

:/

Well a group of us used to it do it just fine over at Eurogamer forums weekly. Sometimes we set up private lobbies but if we were short we just use normal online mode. Not saying it is ideal, as you say there will be issues that arise, but it is not too hard to organise (say you nominate one person to be as Mr Joinable.

They have been stuck since 05, had plenty of time to prepare before the Switch release (after postponing it to March) and still can't offer a decent online infrastructure...
Because they're not capable of creating one. Nintendo is a software developer first and foremost. This is why people insist Nintendo goes third party. They can't compete in terms hardware or online, so why bother with those?

Online is free. When they start charging these issues should be resolved
It's foolish to think this way.

Seik

Banned
It is indeed not optimal, hopefully the paid online system they're getting ready will resolve these issue.

deoee

It's called "tournaments". Go to that option and then pick "Create a Tournament". Set your rules etc.

No, it is not what actually a tournament is, it's basically a lobby that you can create and you can get your friends in there before anyone else joins very easily.

OK, thank you.

Do people need to join via that option or can they join via matchmaking?

OldMan

Banned
maxresdefault.jpg

I think this is less anything to do with Nintendo's "online infastructure" and more just a feature they didn't put much consideration into.

Protome

I think this is less anything to do with Nintendo's "online infastructure" and more just a feature they didn't put much consideration into.

Bit of both. If it had a system level party system the game could easily use that to know when one player is matchmaking and throw the other player in too (or send them an invite, something else the system doesn't have.) But it also wouldn't be hard to have it in-game like Rocket League does.

Ideally this'll be fixed when their app releases although things like Voice Chat will still continue to be an issue if it can really only be done through an app as suggested.

Revven

OK, thank you.

Do people need to join via that option or can they join via matchmaking?

Unfortunately, they need to go to Tournaments and just come across it. It does not go into the pool of normal global matchmaking or whatever. Though, because the game is new you might have a chance of getting some randoms to find it. I know when I created a Tournament for the original MK8 on Wii U when it was still new I got some people who joined it.

Seik

Banned
As others have said, there's no guarantee they'll update MK8 with those features. Anyone who assumes they will is foolish.

Honestly, I think one can feel safe to assume that MK8 will work with those feature.

If Nintendo doesn't at fucking least support their own first-party game with their online infrastructure, they fucked up pretty bad somewhere. :lol

If MK8 isn't lobby/chat compatible, count on me to not drop a cent on their online.

Hellsing

I don't think a party system is fitting for MK8. There's a reason shooters don't allow this either in their free for all modes. If MK8 had a team racing mode then sure.

jts

...hate me...
Because they're not capable of creating one. Nintendo is a software developer first and foremost. This is why people insist Nintendo goes third party. They can't compete in terms hardware or online, so why bother with those?

Why can't they compete in hardware? Switch is by far the nicest console I've ever owned and millions seem to agree. Sales won't slow down any time soon. Seems like they can compete just fine? *shrugs*

angelic

Banned
a laughable joke...delux edition of a 3 year old game, on a new system and still no lobbies, messaging, voice chat, parties etc.

halo 2 on the original xbox was more featured and robust than this.

Syril

Honestly, I think one can feel safe to assume that MK8 will work with those feature.

If Nintendo doesn't at fucking least support their own first-party game with their online infrastructure, they fucked up pretty bad somewhere. :lol

If MK8 isn't lobby/chat compatible, count on me to not drop a cent on their online.
It's a reasonable prediction in light of the kinds of updates that the original Wii U version got, but I never like to assume things before they're announced.

Ridley327

AFAIK, you can use tournament setups as a way to ensure that you play with just friends. It's not as easy as making a private lobby as you will need to share the tournament code via means outside of the game, but it does work.

I am starting to get worried that we won't be seeing their matchmaking app release before Splatoon 2. They've been really, really, really quiet about it since they first gave details on it.

Cipherr

93 metacritic because everyone loves nintendo nostalgia. I bet no reviews mention any of this

I'll bet the scores take it into account already. It's not that you can't race online with friends against others, its that people want the UI to facilitate it in an easier way. That's different from it not being possible at all.

Futureman

Yeah but it doesn't say anything about Mario Kart 8.
I don't think the current online system couldn't handle it, I think the game just does not have that function >_>

MK8 is Nintendo's premiere online game. Would be odd if it doesn't get lobbies.

Timeaisis

If it works the same way as the Wii U version, you just have to join a friend's games and wait on a spot to open.

The don't have party up per se, but that's how you do it.

Or you can do costom with cpus.

deoee

If it works the same way as the Wii U version, you just have to join a friend's games and wait on a spot to open.

The don't have party up per se, but that's how you do it.

Or you can do costom with cpus.

Yeah, but that's still unacceptable imo. It's not 2010 anymore

Top Bottom