• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can't easily play Mario Kart 8 online with friends against others.

VeeP

I fucking love Mario Kart online. Haters gonna hate.

Yep. Haters gonna hate. Sony and Microsoft should adopt the no lobby system. And shit, I would love to see friend codes on Xbox live. /s

OPs post isn't about Mario Kart not being fun. It's about Nintendo's primitive online that makes it difficult to play with friends. Something Bungie was able to do in 2004 on Xbox. Read the OP next time.

Yep. Haters gonna hate. Sony and Microsoft should adopt the no lobby system. And shit, I would love to see friend codes on Xbox live. /s

OPs post isn't about Mario Kart not being fun. It's about Nintendo's primitive online that makes it difficult to play with friends. Something Bungie was able to do in 2004 on Xbox. Read the OP next time.

Yeah Nintendo is outdated with online and it gets on my nerves sometimes. It is not even new tech this is all common outside of Nintendo's ecosystem.

Oresama

I'm pretty sure the Nintendo site states a limited trial version of the app releases this summer for free.

Seems like Nintendo wants users to experience it alongside the release of ARMS and Splatoon 2.

Here's to hoping it blows all or expectation aways.

I might enjoy the exclusives that xbox one has to offer, but i would be ignorant to think sony doesn't have a more wider selection. I might not have a problem with it, but less people will end up buying the console and ill end up getting less exclusive titles. The more people end up buying my console, the more games I get.

There is something deeply wrong with the philosophy of nintendo, theres something wrong with the reviewers who don't punish them more for it and the gamers who don't make more demands.

10/10 for a multiplayer game I cant even talk to my friends on. Its like giving me cereal without the milk and having the nerve to tell me thats a meal.

This line already tells me we have very different views on probably everything related to video games, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

I might enjoy the exclusives that xbox one has to offer, but i would be ignorant to think sony doesn't have a more wider selection. I might not have a problem with it, but less people will end up buying the console and ill end up getting less exclusive titles. The more people end up buying my console, the more games I get.

There is something deeply wrong with the philosophy of nintendo, theres something wrong with the reviewers who don't punish them more for it and the gamers who don't make more demands.

10/10 for a multiplayer game I cant even talk to my friends on. Its like giving me cereal without the milk and having the nerve to tell me thats a meal

We played 4 player splitscreen with my friends today and we were about to talk just fine. Heck I even saw how much fun they were having and we had biscuits and stuff together. We were even able to communicate when the Switch was turned off! :p

On a serious note though (although I was totally being serious) I'm surprised reviewers actually got this one right. You can't punish a game for what it doesn't do when it does what it does do so perfectly. Heck I'm surprised at the Puyo Puyo Tetris reviews too. Nice to see a Puzzle game getting a few 9s for once. No 10s of course because, you know, it's a puzzle game but I sure won't be complaining.

There's also no chat of any kind on the system right now right? Voice or even messaging

Edit** I have a Switch so I know there isn't party chat but I thought maybe the game would have a way to communicate.

There's also no chat of any kind on the system right now right? Voice or even messaging

2013_phone_dial.png

Steveo

Banned
What's funny is the OG Xbox had lobbies, voice chat, messaging, and an invite system back in 2002.

15 YEARS AGO.

That's how far behind Nintendo is.

What's funny is the OG Xbox had lobbies, voice chat, messaging, and an invite system back in 2002.

15 YEARS AGO.

That's how far behind Nintendo is.

Yeah it's ridiculous

Yeah I remember calling my friends on my dad's landline back in 1997 to play Quake over internet so we could all get on the same server. Boy howdy, Nintendo really showing people they know how to do online these days showing a mid 90s game how it's done.

Did the same for Doom 1v1 on our 56k modems.

Jumeira

Banned
Nintendo will never be competent in this area, and thier fans standards for online services is so low that they don't hold Nintendo accountable. And so there's very little motivation from their base for drastic change, it's been like this at almost every step in regards to adoption of modern standards and practices. I said it before, Nintendo as a game maker are the finest this industry has to offer, but thier business side is some of the most backwards in gaming.

Gator86

What the hell is up with insecure fanboys rushing to come with "I FUCKING LOVE IT HATERS GONNA HATE" when someone makes a valid constructive criticism? Holy shit.

It feels like it's really saturated the forum recently. It's such a pointless sentiment and adds literally nothing of value to any conversation.

Yeah, nah. We have years of seeing Nintendos approach to online. They're going to continue half assing it, only now you get to pay extra for it. (In the same way the "free games for online sub" is being half assed with a temporary VC game a month. Still can't believe how daft they are to believe that's a thing people want).
If I want to voice chat through my phone with my friends, I can already do that. It's 2017, nigh on everyone who would want to do it through the phone has some form of app already installed to do that, for free.

I'm still pretty skeptical about Nintendo's online setup, but we've seen years of Nintendo's free online approach. I have never seen their paid online approach, so I'm waiting for that before being too negative about it all.

I also think your point about the phone also kind of supports what Nintendo is doing as it relates it relates to voice stuff/party stuff. I'm personally not that invested in it either way. The amount that I use party chat in anything outside of Discord on PC is basically zero, so I really don't care.

The Switch is a plus 1 not a primary gaming device. Nintendo will always be that. It's ridiculous of course but people seem to be okay with it. I'll never get.

Tagg9

I really hope this gets patched in down the road when their online infrastructure matures. I actually know a lot of people who've bought Switches so playing Mario Kart 8 together online would be amazing.

Nintendo is going to get hacked so fn hard when they start charging money for online and won't be able to restore online capabilities for a year.

Jubenhimer

You have to type that in to join a lobby!!!!

Actually you don't. There are other ways to add friends on the Switch. Adding people you already played with, adding people from Nintendo's mobile apps, and in a future update, importing friends from Social media and Wii U/3DS. Plus the Friend Code system on the Switch is very different from the Wii/DS days. You only need to type in the code once, and it sends the person you searched for a friend request. It's not like before where both ends needed to input each others code. In this case, it's literally no different than adding friends on other platforms. The only difference is you're typing a number rather than a name.

I still prefer to search by username, but the Friend Code system on the Switch is not a big deal at all.

Ogodei

I didn't get how barebones they were going to make the "free" online.

Really, they should keep it this way. People who want the basic, no-chat no lobbies experience can keep it free, folks who want the extra bells and whistles can pay. I really don't want to pay for matchmaking when i rarely do anything coordinated with friends online.

Tenck

Difficult?

Hit join and you're in .

What? Unless I'm remembering wrong you can spectate until someone leaves.
Which is waaaay better than being able to create a lobby with your friends and then join a game as a party, right?
And no surprise at Spekkeh and Oxidax (Mario dude, however it's spelled) coming in at once to lay on dat insecure defense nonsense. SMH. Can't have a legitimate complaint about a Nintendo product.

I believe it. 5 years ago no one at Nintendo knew how Xbox Live or Playstation Network worked.

The discussion started off well enough and covered off our experiences with the hardware and (slow) toolchain and then we steered them towards discussing when the online features might be available. We were told that the features, and the OS updates to support them, would be available before the hardware launch, but only just. There were apparently issues with setting up a large networking infrastructure to rival Sony and Microsoft that they hadn't envisaged.

This was surprising to hear, as we would have thought that they had plenty of time to work on these features as it had been announced months before, so we probed a little deeper and asked how certain scenarios might work with the Mii friends and networking, all the time referencing how Xbox Live and PSN achieve the same thing. At some point in this conversation we were informed that it was no good referencing Live and PSN as nobody in their development teams used those systems (!) so could we provide more detailed explanations for them? My only thought after this call was that they were struggling - badly - with the networking side as it was far more complicated than they anticipated. They were trying to play catch-up with the rival systems, but without the years of experience to back it up.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-secret-developers-wii-u-the-inside-story

Instro

Their online festureset for games and systems continues to be worthless, I don't expect it to improve with the release of their phone app (still can't get over that one LOL).

jrDev

10/10 for a multiplayer game I cant even talk to my friends on. Its like giving me cereal without the milk and having the nerve to tell me thats a meal.
Don't care about those things, never will...
I didn't get how barebones they were going to make the "free" online.

Really, they should keep it this way. People who want the basic, no-chat no lobbies experience can keep it free, folks who want the extra bells and whistles can pay. I really don't want to pay for matchmaking when i rarely do anything coordinated with friends online.
This is my stance! I don't need the extra stuff, just want to play online...

On the Wii U version you could join a friend who was playing online from your friends list. On Switch predictably they left this out. Also, every online game after MK8 on Wii U also didn't allow you to join from the friends list.

I really hoped at the time they would build upon that. It's pretty nuts that they went backward almost immediately.

Also, in the Switch version it feels more difficult to connect to friends playing online it either doesn't let you outright or connects you.... And then dumps you later.

I hope whatever they want people to pay for incorporates being able to communicate with people on your friends list.

Tenck

Which is waaaay better than being able to create a lobby with your friends and then join a game as a party, right?
And no surprise at Spekkeh and Oxidax (Mario dude, however it's spelled) coming in at once to lay on dat insecure defense nonsense. SMH. Can't have a legitimate complaint about a Nintendo product.

I never said it was better. Work on your trolling.

HardRojo

One of the reasons I won't pick up a Switch until Holidays next year. For a console released in 2017, their online infrastructure is still that of a console released in the first few years of the previous decade.

What? Unless I'm remembering wrong you can spectate until someone leaves.

Currently a system switch menu appears and it says this target device can not accept any more connections when the lobby is full. Hope it's just an error that will be fixed with the next update.

Tenck

Currently a system switch menu appears and it says this target device can not accept any more connections when the lobby is full. Hope it's just an error that will be fixed with the next update.

Thanks for clarifying that.

What's mind boggling to me is that this is exactly how online worked all the way back in MK7 on 3DS, all the way back in 2011. Pretty sure only the max number of players allowed has changed.

Aroll

Wii U version didn't have it. It's a Wii U port. Not something that will likely be the norm. Now if Splatoon 2 doesn't let you do that, then complain.

Top Bottom