• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can't easily play Mario Kart 8 online with friends against others.

Yukinari

2013_phone_dial.png

Nintendo delusion or joke post. I need a forensics team.

How long does it usually take to play with just one friend in an online lobby?

I got this almost solely to play with my brother, and I convinced him to buy it this week. Is it gonna be an average of 15 minutes every time we try to play together?

deoee

I got this almost solely to play with my brother, and I convinced him to buy it this week. Is it gonna be an average of 15 minutes every time we try to play together?

One person can easily join over the menu if the connection doesn't break.

And if the "host" joins a full lobby, you can retry until the Nintendo Magic happens

shanafan

Playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was incredibly easy with my friend tonight. We used FaceTime audio to chat. I made a room, and he joined the room. Had 16 races. No disconnects, and no errors.

Balb

I don't get why the system is somehow worse than the Wii U version. My group of friends would like to play together with 8 random people but that doesn't seem possible at the moment because you can't spectate until rooms are no longer full anymore. You get a nasty error message instead. Why?

jts

...hate me...
Maybe the price of the console and games should be priced as a beta too.
Yeah, this is about the online functionality no? The console and games pricing seem to be actually well adjusted, looking at their quality and the market demand.

The online pricing is actually priced as a beta, being free. The Switch is the only current console from the 3 that lets you play online for free.

I get it, you cannot send invites. but you can join your friends...?

So, where is the problem? I played the game on Wii U on a regular basis with up to 5 friends in public games together.

Some basic functionality we are all used to for over a decade isn't here, I can see that.
That doesn't change the fact that this game is the best online experience I had this gen. Why is no one talking about that rock solid worldwide matchmaking during uncompromised 60fps gameplay. It's amazing.

EDIT: regarding matchmaking problems: It's launch weekend. Give it a few days. First days on Wii U were rough too, then it was flawless.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Well nintendo online is not a paid service.
So it kinda make sense i guess ?

spekkeh

Banned
What the hell is up with insecure fanboys rushing to come with "I FUCKING LOVE IT HATERS GONNA HATE" when someone makes a valid constructive criticism? Holy shit.
I feel like this criticism comes about three years too late to still be considered constructive but okay. Now it seems like venting. Maybe someone genuinely thought Deluxe would get a massive upgrade in friends infrastructure, even though Nintendo said this wouldn't be ready until fall. Nintendo is no good for online friends systems, we know this. Within those constraints though, yes I fucking love how simple, intuitive, fun and snappy the Mario Kart online experience is. Counterpoints are not an expression of fanboyism. Thinking that might be.

MUnited83

For you.
I feel like this criticism comes about three years too late to still be considered constructive but okay. Now it seems like venting. Maybe someone genuinely thought Deluxe would get a massive upgrade in friends infrastructure, even though Nintendo said this wouldn't be ready until fall. Nintendo is no good for online friends systems, we know this. Within those constraints though, yes I fucking love how simple, intuitive, fun and snappy the Mario Kart online experience is. Counterpoints are not an expression of fanboyism. Thinking that might be.

Considering the game is now on a new platform released in 2017, a platform where online play will be restricted behind a payway, it's the perfect time to make the criticism.

The current online isn't what you'd be paying for. When the system is fully in place you get the app with its own lobbies and voice chat.

But it's pretty damn bad that Mario Kart, one of Nintendo's major multiplayer IP is out NOW and their online networking features aren't up to 2005 standards. The same can be said for when Splatoon 2 launches in summer as well. It's really not good enough, regardless of whether or not we have to pay now or not.

Bluth54

Well nintendo online is not a paid service.
So it kinda make sense i guess ?

I can easily play against other people with my friends in Valve's multiplayer games and I don't have to pay anything to use Steam.
Also Nintendo is going to charge for Switch online eventually.

I can't even play online. The best I had was seeing the first secs of a race. It's "disconnected-disconnected-disconnected" all the time. All my WiFi settings seem fine. What a bummer.

Nope, that would have been a good thing, but it might be unbearable for their servers. It just says that your friend is in a full match and that you can't join

I think there was a queue system for when you join a public lobby, but it was removed in a 2014 update.

I think Mario Kart 7 on 3DS actually still has a queue system with a capacity of four people.

You can join friends when they are online. So say if Bob was playing online in normal online races i can apply to join his lobby. It may take a couple of races to get there as it relies on people dropping out of that lobby - which happens every race, but it can be done.

So basically it's exactly the same system as Splatoon on Wii U? Cos I play with my friend on Splatoon like every few days, and I've never had to wait more than one game before we're both in the same lobby. It's really not a big deal.

Two friends of mine and I had zero issues hopping into public battle lobbies for around 3 hours last night. Had a blast and everything went smoothly.

FelixFFM

Wonder what secret things people with no issues are utilizing? Just getting lucky with not joining a full lobby I guess?

This is how it usually goes for me:

- Players 1, 2 and 3 want to play online together against other players
- Player 1 joins matchmaking
- Player 1 gets put into a full lobby
- Players 2 and 3 can't join him
- Players 2 and 3 end up waiting around for multiple races until enough people drop out so they can join

Is this how it works or am I missing something?

LordKasual

Banned
The way nintendo treat people who fight 2 v 1 in smash bros it's not a surprise that they don't want people teaming up with friends online even if most of the time everyone would play free for all.

this is the most pathetic thing i've ever seen an online multiplayer game do

OP, I definitely agree that things are not ideal here. I wasn't expecting anything new from Nintendo here, and as a result I wasn't disappointed. It's basically the same situation we had on Wii-U, with the promise that things will get better when the paid service launches.

Some might call it evil, but I have a feeling that Nintendo wanted the "launch" Switch to work this way. It'll make the addition of lobbies and party chat seem like it's worth shelling out the extra money. For now we just have to wait for the free trial of said app to launch in summer to see if it's a big step up.

There's only been one time I've ever had to wait more than a single race before joining up with a friend. If your friend is stuck in a full lobby you both can always leave and try to join another.

Beegeous

Sorry for the bump.

I've jumped back into MK8D in recent days and am wondering if any progress has been made on getting two friends into a global race lobby?

Top Bottom