• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Dynasty Warriors 9 screenshots, full Famitsu details

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Screens:

First screenshots from Famitsu:

u9866k5.jpg

n8zQ1aT.jpg

uDIZJvt.jpg

2L8BmYR.jpg

dynasty-warriors-9-scrskqo.jpg

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201705/11132652.html

Details:

http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/9028116/1/

BlackKite said:
Shin Sangoku Musou 8
aka. Dynasty Warriors 9

Consoles Confirmed So Far: PlayStation 4
Release Date: TBA* (Hinted to be when the climate has gotten a bit colder in Japan [read: between Fall-Winter, Oct-Dec 2017])
Official Site: ttp://www.gamecity.ne.jp/smusou8/ (Tentative URL as it's currently not up yet; will fix once it's actually up)

New Characters

周倉
Zhou Cang
  • A fictional character who used to serve Zhang Bao in Yellow Turbans, then later served under Guan Yu. Immortalized in real-life statues that depict himself with Guan Yu & Guan Ping as a trio.
  • Weapon: Butcher Sword
  • Seiyuu (JP VA): Chiharu Sawashiro (Miyuki Sawashiro's younger brother, aka. Argon in Show By Rock)

程普 (德謀)
Cheng Pu (Demou) *NEW*
  • Veteran Wu general who had served three generations of Sun Jian, Ce & Quan. Respected by other officers for not only seniority but also his wise leadership.
  • Weapon: Double Pike*
  • Seiyuu (JP VA):
  • *Double Pike is the same weapon type assigned to Zhang Fei as of DW8E. It's currently unknown if Zhang Fei will get a new weapon type or if he'll accept weapon cloning.
and more*
*It has been noted that while there are more new characters coming, the number will be not too many.
(For the record, DW8 vanilla added 10 new characters, so DW9's new character number might be less than that)

Returning Characters
  • All 83 existing characters as of DW8 Empires are confirmed returning.

Gameplay Features
  • Open World - Overall
  • The reason why the team decides to make DW9 as Open World is they're taking challenges to make new things because as of the last numbered title (DW8), the series is coming to a stale.
  • DW9's Open World system takes some references from Toukiden 2, but it won't be the exact same because the nature of Open World in each games are different.
  • They plan to reproduce the whole lands of China, but with a focus on livable territories, and a further focus on places where major battles took place like Hulao Gate or Zhongyuan (Central Plains, Guandu etc)
  • Time & Weather will be changing in real time. In nighttime and/or rain it will be harder for enemies to notice the player. *NEW*

Open World - Cities
  • There will be over 10 major unique cities along with more generic towns & villages in the world map. *NEW*
  • The major unique cities such as Luoyang won't be as big as they were actually, but each area will be about 1 kilometer(square?) big so they should still feel large. *NEW*
  • Player can move into cities in the middle of battles.
  • Player should be also able to do purchases inside cities. *NEW*

Open World - Transportation
  • The main method for land transportation is by riding a horse, but a Fast Travel feature is also planned to be added. *NEW*
  • Swimming is confirmed returning from DW6. Player can also cross large rivers like Changjiang and Yellow River, although it may take about 5 minutes by swimming. *NEW*
  • Boats are also available as a faster transportation method to cross rivers. *NEW*

Story Progression
  • Story mode is back to character-based (like pre-DW7), but the history progression is basically the same for each character (like pre-DW6). *NEW*
  • There will be no What-If/Hypothetical branches that alter history here. *NEW*
  • Story progression is based on eras (Yellow Turban Rebellion, Anti-Dong Zhuo Coalition, and so on). *NEW*
  • The starting era will depend on the selected character. For example if you choose Wang Yuanji she will start in an era later than what Zhao Yun would start at. *NEW*
  • Due to the different starting era, switching player character in mid-game is currently unconfirmed because they would have to re-introduce the era again if the new character's starting era is different from the current era. *NEW*
  • Discussions in the world map will be pertaining to that era. For example if you go to Nanman during Yellow Turban Rebellion era, you will hear Nanman people talking about Zhang Jiao. *NEW*

Battles & Missions
  • Each era has a main mission that must be cleared to advance the era. (eg. Defeat Zhang Jiao in YTR era to advance to Dong Zhuo era) *NEW*
  • The main mission starts with having a high difficulty, but it can be lowered by clearing other missions related to the main mission beforehand. *NEW*
  • Multiple battles may occur at the same time in different places, and the player will have to make a choice on which battle they want to participate in. They are no longer split by stages.
  • Player can capture castles in various ways other than the orthodox-from-castle-gate method. For example they can raid the castle from a higher elevation (eg. mountains), or do a stealth infiltration to hit the main target without getting noticed by other enemies. *NEW*
  • There are also subquests such as hunting wild animals with archery and battling against foreign tribes (eg. Shanyue) that have unique visuals. *NEW*

State Combo
  • In the first interview, the team indicated that they are planning to revise the moveset system from what has been commonly known as Square for normal attacks and Triangle for charge attacks.
  • State Combo is the new moveset system that will change moves depending on the surrounding enemy situations. *NEW*
  • State Combo is comprised of the following 3 attacks: *NEW*
  • -Trigger attack: Begins the combo
  • -Flow attack: Combo that changes based on enemy situations
  • -Finish attack: Powerful attack that ends the combo
  • An example of how State Combo works is that when enemies are mid-air then the player character will jump towards them. *NEW*

Interactive Action
  • Actions will change depending on the surrounding terrains and objects. *NEW*
  • For example, player will be able to use field objects to attack, such as catapults. *NEW*
  • Player can also use a grapple hook to climb castle walls and high mountains. *NEW*
  • Player can utilize oil cans in field to cause fires. *NEW*

Other Action Revisions & Additions
  • The team has indicated that they want to keep some other systems like Musou attack to retain the exhilarating feel of one-vs-thousand
  • (Note: In DW8, all characters have 1st Musou, 2nd Musou, Aerial Musou and Awakening Musou)
  • Archery FPS mode from DW5 & before is returning & usable for all characters. It also lets the player to snipe enemies from afar. *NEW*

Miscellaneous
  • On 31 March 2017, Producer Suzuki held a poll on Twitter asking if the fans prefer Liu Bei with mustache or not. The poll ended with the mustache winning 67% of the votes.
  • Producer Suzuki also said to use the poll comments as reference, in which many are suggesting both versions of Liu Bei (young without mustache & older with mustache) to appear in DW9, just like in SW: Spirit of Sanada.
  • Character models are being reworked from scratch to fit PS4-grade graphics. *NEW*
  • Characters' new costumes in DW9 will have a tendency of getting less flashier and more geared towards realistic based on the costumes in Three Kingdoms era. *NEW*

On 31 March 2017, Producer Suzuki held a poll on Twitter asking if the fans prefer Liu Bei with mustache or not. The poll ended with the mustache winning 67% of the votes

Finally, the tyranny of baby face Liu Bei can end.

Seen some of the character renders, and I sort of dig the modest outfits. They remind me of the PS2 era ones.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Damn they're going all in with this DW game and this must be the biggest change up the series has ever experienced. I'm a bit nervous but still really excited, the DW games were my shit when I was younger and I'd love to jump back in on my PS4.

TreIII

Love it. The much more reasonable/toned down designs still makes things look stylish without dipping dangerously into the Final Fantasy aesthetic. Really liking what I'm seeing.

Now, when's the trailer~?

Damn they're going all in with this DW game and this must be the biggest change up the series has ever experienced. I'm a bit nervous but still really excited, the DW games were my shit when I was younger and I'd love to jump back in on my PS4.

Well, it's the biggest change-up they've attempted since (the deservedly reviled) DW6.

Hopefully, Omega Force has their act together, and this will be the step forward the entire Musou brand has been waiting on. Once upon time, DW and SW were the trend setters, before Omega settled for letting the spin-offs be the games that actually had some good ideas that I wished rolled back over into the main games!

Laplasakos

Models look very nice and clean. The lighting too. As i said in the other thread, this will be my first DW (and musou too) game, so i'am kinda excited here.

sensui-tomo

Lets just hope we dont get horse shenanigans in the opening sequence again.
But man am i looking forward to this title, just hope we get some more unique generals. Yuan Shu for Others would be a nice early era addin, we'd need more late shu/wu stuff, wei/jin seem good enough atm

Newboi

Dynasty Warriors was an addiction I broke a long time ago (After DW4). I don't know if I ever want to go back...but DW9 looks sooooo goooood!

Xater

Looks quite good and all the changes sound cool. This might be a real big step for the series. I wonder if they will still hit 60fps though.

Lets just hope we dont get horse shenanigans in the opening sequence again.
But man am i looking forward to this title, just hope we get some more unique generals. Yuan Shu for Others would be a nice early era addin, we'd need more late shu/wu stuff, wei/jin seem good enough atm

Yes. I realize there might be some legacy players, but why is Zhang Jiao or Yuan Shao playable and Yuan Shu isn't? I wouldn't mind losing the entire Others group (with Lu Bu recently splintered off into his own proto kingdom), but if they stay, Yuan Shu should be there too.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Need to see that shit in motion to get a full judgement

Excited to see how the open world changes things, and if they try and mix up the combat more

Unknown?

Glad this is being worked from the ground up on PS4. Samurai Warriors 4 looked alright but was clearly a PS3 engine. No more holding this series back, go all out with next gen!

Need to see that shit in motion to get a full judgement

Excited to see how the open world changes things, and if they try and mix up the combat more

This is what I said in the last topic about the combat.

All of this sounds crazy and exactly as I thought it would turn out.

Besides the combat. I don't really get it. So to me, it sounds like square and triangle, but with a finisher? Like contextual?

My only beef with that is it might limit freedom. Sure, maybe C3 wasn't the best at breaking shields, but you should let the player do it if they want to.

On the flipside, if things change when you press the sequence button, it'd be cool. Like you are fighting a shield guy, and after you start your trigger, you go into a few presses of the sequence. Maybe it makes your character dash behind the enemy to get past the shield or does a knockdown/sweep. If you press finisher for the former, you'd blow them away with an AOE attack, but the latter lets you focus all that damage on a single target while keeping them there for some oki.

I know DW ain't advanced, but if they do a system even close to that, I'll be happy.

As long as it's not renbu based, I'm fine.

Gren

Sounds good. Looks decent. In addition to the situational combo system, I'm most pleased to hear they'll still have a gigantic cast available out of the gate.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Worried about the combat changes. The last time they tried to revamp the system, we got Renbu in DW6. Not sure how state combos work, but the example they give makes it sound more automated, which is part of why Renbu sucked so badly.

Looks quite good and all the changes sound cool. This might be a real big step for the series. I wonder if they will still hit 60fps though.

What do you mean still? When has Dynasty Warriors ever hit 60fps?

Characters' new costumes in DW9 will have a tendency of getting less flashier and more geared towards realistic based on the costumes in Three Kingdoms era. *NEW*

Ooooooh that is good. I always ended up using the DW5 or 4 costumes.

jonno394

Looks and sounds great. Never played a DW before so the gameplay changes are already doing their job, convincing someone who has never tried the series to keep an eye on this!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
What do you mean still? When has Dynasty Warriors ever hit 60fps?

On PC. :)

It has also been 60 FPS on PS4...it's just that the framerate drops are all over the place. I wish they'd just lock these games to 30 FPS.

NeonZ

Isn't the Samurai Warriors Sanada-focused game already like this?

Nah. It has an open area around the castle, but that's more like a hub than an actual open world, and it has none of these new mechanics mentioned here for exploration, like climbing walls. The battlefields also are separate from that exploration field and many come straight from the previous games.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I love that JUST NOW theyre saying "franchise is getting a bit stale"

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Nah. It has an open area around the castle, but that's more like a hub than an actual open world. The battlefields and such are all separate and many come straight from the previous games.

Have you played the Japanese version? Not sure if I want it. I loved SW4 and SW4-II, but I didn't spend much time with Chronicles and Empires and I feel kind of 'Sanada'd out' after playing the Sengoku Basara Sanada-focused game last year.

TreIII

Nah. It has an open area around the castle, but that's more like a hub than an actual open world, and it has none of these new mechanics mentioned here for exploration, like climbing walls. The battlefields also are separate from that exploration field and many come straight from the previous games.

I believe they said it's going to be different from Toukiden 2, as well, even though that game, too, utilizes an open-world setup.

Everything sounds good with the exception of this:
- State Combo is the new moveset system that will change moves depending on the surrounding enemy situations.
- An example of how State Combo works is that when enemies are mid-air then the player character will jump towards them.

I don't want any of these automatic bs in my action games.

TreIII

Everything sounds good with the exception of this:

I don't want any of these automatic bs in my action games.

It depends on how it's done, imo.

If it's like some other decent brawlers, where you may have some context sensitive attacks based on how close/far you are to the enemy, their current state (grounded, knocked down, in-air, stunned), etc? I can deal with that. But definitely do need some trailers to hopefully showcase what we're dealing with.

In any case, I'm just glad that things like the Weapon Triangle system from DW8 don't seem to be returning. Now, you want to talk about annoying things that limit you in the middle of combat...

Top Bottom