• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Dynasty Warriors 9 screenshots, full Famitsu details

NeonZ

Ma dai and the paint brush will always make me laugh. Just imagining going through the battle field wacking people with a giant paint brush

Oddest thing is that DW7, the very game that introduced him, featured him using his giant brush like a blade in a cutscene.

TreIII

The first SW Chronicle did well though, especially for something entirely made out of SW3 reused assets.

The issue is that then they released what was basically an expansion pack of an already recycled game as a standalone game (SWC2 - the player even needed to go through the same scenarios again in order to unlock the new ones) and SWC3, although built upon SW4 and a great improvement on SW4's gameplay, removed Chronicle's fan favorite feature (Personal events between the custom officer and the actual characters, which got even implemented in the mainline SW4 itself after their positive reception in Chronicles). You can see how SWC3 had poor numbers in spite of also getting a Vita release, so you can't really blame "Nintendo userbase" for that.

It's not that I'm "blaming" the Nintendo userbase. It's just that, at least from this angle, I could certainly see why KT may be leaning more on to giving that segment of the audience stuff like Zelda Musou and Fire Emblem Musou (let alone what else they may be cooking up). It may be a better usage of the resources. It may be a nice thing to say to stockholders that they can give "unique experiences for different demographics". I dunno, and in the end, it doesn't really matter that much to me. For me, having different Musou titles to play across multiple platforms is an awesome thing!

im glad theyre going back to a more realistic style in terms of their armor. hope the same goes for the weapons. The flying swords and snooker balls were getting ridiculous..

Gotta disagree there. For DW games to basically cite the kinds of over-the-top antics that Wuxia (martial arts) dramas have been doing forever, it actually makes sense for Koei to go in the direction of having crazy weapons and movesets.

Hell, I'm still hoping that there's still plenty more that we can do in this game. Someone in the previous topic mentioned how they wanted to be able to run across water and up & down walls, and I'm like "Hell, yeah!".

sensui-tomo

im glad theyre going back to a more realistic style in terms of their armor. hope the same goes for the weapons. The flying swords and snooker balls were getting ridiculous..
I'd rather keep the weird weapons if it means unique movesets and no cloned movesets.

dramatis

Sounds kind of ridiculously good?

Characters' new costumes in DW9 will have a tendency of getting less flashier and more geared towards realistic based on the costumes in Three Kingdoms era. *NEW*
I have zero faith that this will work out though

I'm just happy Xiahou Dun still has his signature weapon. And apparently so does Zhao Yun. I was a little worried that Koei-Tecmo was going to pull a DW6 and give everyone generic weapons to go with the revamped attack system.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The only thing that matters to me is if I can go shield surfing and throwing sheilds around like captain america with xing cai realism be damned

sensui-tomo

The only thing that matters to me is if I can go shield surfing and throwing sheilds around like captain america with xing cai realism be damned

its why i was fine with playing as Sima Zhao, his EX attack with surfing on enemies made him tolerable. (using the EX skill set on a CaW in DW8 empires made me never play him ever again)
SimaZhaoscreenshot-1.jpg

Sounds kind of ridiculously good?

I have zero faith that this will work out though

Guan Yu and Xiahou Dun aren't exactly the characters to show off the more realistic designs since they've always tended towards that anyway. The proof of the pudding is going to be the newer, younger characters, like the Guan kids and the female characters.

ViciousDS

Banned
Those environments shots are absolutely ambitious, damn......looks like it will be pretty varied

Is that last one from the nanzhong region?

Is this the first time Dynasty Warriors has gone full open world?
Yup.

And it looks freaking amazing, I thought the graphics might suffer from going open world but so far it looks really damn good.

I said it after seeing the first pics already, but damn, really liking the lighting.

Auraela

Banned
dynasty warriors with decent graphics well i be damned looks amazing, played the shit out of 8 on ps4 was rank 6 on total ko leaderboard at one point

Hmmm. What are the odds of them rebranding the series yet again? This seems to be a great place to hop on, but I imagine lots of people going "no use starting now since I missed the story of the first eight games".

sensui-tomo

Hmmm. What are the odds of them rebranding the series yet again? This seems to be a great place to hop on, but I imagine lots of people going "no use starting now since I missed the story of the first eight games".

its the same story, you can hop in where-ever. Same goes for samurai warriors and ditto for the ROTK/ nobunaga's ambition games.

This has the potential to be the best selling entry on western markets.

for it to do that, it needs to beat sales of either Dynasty Warriors 4 or Hyrule Warriors (the two most successful titles for the Musou line of games)

Babyshams

its the same story, you can hop in where-ever. Same goes for samurai warriors and ditto for the ROTK/ nobunaga's ambition games.

for it to do that, it needs to beat sales of either Dynasty Warriors 4 or Hyrule Warriors (the two most successful titles for the Musou line of games)

But does the average consumer know that? That may be a reason why you rebrand it.

oh my, those screenshots look tasty. If reviews well, this would be the time to jump back to DW since the last one I played on PS2, spare all the spin offs

sensui-tomo

But does the average consumer know that? That may be a reason why you rebrand it.

You cant rebrand the story..... its an established thing, Romance of the Three kingdoms is a book. I can think of only 1 way this has sorta worked in the past.. and thats the New testament compared to the old testament (in relation to the bible).
That would kill the game on the spot in Japan and probably the Asia market (it does sell over there, hell DW8CE was bundled over there to sell ps4s iirc) Hell average consumer in the west probably only cares about the 1 vs 1000 aspect which is what they market it as over here.

Babyshams

You cant rebrand the story..... its an established thing, Romance of the Three kingdoms is a book. I can think of only 1 way this has sorta worked in the past.. and thats the New testament compared to the old testament (in relation to the bible).
That would kill the game on the spot in Japan and probably the Asia market (it does sell over there, hell DW8CE was bundled over there to sell ps4s iirc) Hell average consumer in the west probably only cares about the 1 vs 1000 aspect which is what they market it as over here.

I took to rebrand meaning just start over with just Dynasty Warriors, drop the 9 or call it something different.

Those screenshot has got my hype booster in overdrive. Tbh, this is basically what I been imagining DW would look like once KT moved pass reusing ps3 asset. Open world is just an icing in the cake. Time to unify China under the Shu banner. Benevolence to everyone.

Also, Day 1 for
Xing Cai

ViciousDS

Banned
Lu Bu DW2.......most simple design but absolutely the most brutal......his fucking healthbar was absolutely ridiculous, not to mention if you accidentally knocked him over he healed every fucking time, even on the lowest difficulty and a fully maxed stat character he could single combo kill you

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Lu Bu DW2.......most simple design but absolutely the most brutal......his fucking healthbar was absolutely ridiculous, not to mention if you accidentally knocked him over he healed every fucking time, even on the lowest difficulty and a fully maxed stat character he could single combo kill you

Code:
[IMG]https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.22689951.1014/raf,750x1000,075,t,fafafa:ca443f4786.u2.jpg[/IMG]

Ooh, that reminds me, I want to see Yuan Shao too. Hopefully he doesn't look like an absolute ponce this time around. I'd like to see this golden asshole return:

Code:
[IMG]http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/dynastywarriors/images/8/84/Yuan_Shao.jpeg/revision/latest?cb=20140623043556[/IMG]

Everything looks and sounds awesome.
But man, I think i can forget about local coop, right? :(

Always played every Musou game in local coop with my girlfriend.

Top Bottom