• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Dynasty Warriors 9 screenshots, full Famitsu details

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
No Local Co-Op is a real bummer for me (it's the main way I play, and what keeps me coming back to them), but it's not like they haven't treated Local players EXTREMLY well over the years. Can't complain too much, as it sounds like they're putting their attention to places that need it.

They're also starting out with the full cast, rather than focusing on a small number. Pretty unusual for their big rebuild games. Hopefully, no personality-draining cloned movesets this time, too.

As this is a more realistic game (lighting, stage size, actual cities, etc), the art style shift seems fitting. I never feel like KT's flair jumps to a point that other Asian cinema doesn't also try to emulate in certain action movies, so it rarely feels completely overdone to me, just unique to the eras.

The return of controllable FPS-style Archery is a nice touch. I'll be even happier if it has a tactical side, too, such as pining messengers to the wall to help you catch them, head shots for quick kills, limb shots to disable, and so on.

State combos sound cool. Imagine having such a system in an in-door brawl, and watching your character climb atop tables and chairs to continue his attack, and using finishers to push people through paper screens or doors... I doubt it'll get that ambitious, but I hope it'll at least allows some things like that.

JCX

Wow I haven't been impressed with a DW game since the early ones on PS2. More interested for when this gets adapted for other properties (as they seem to be doing often now), but very cool.

Kaizer

Banned
Cautiously excited about this, let's just hope the changes to the core formula don't end up being a disaster like with Dynasty Warriors 6.

TreIII

Again, BlackKite has a lot of goods on his Twitter. Copying a few of the ones I don't think haven't been added to the info post on KW yet.

BlackKite said:
  • In #DynastyWarriors9 #DW9 you can take on subquests unrelated to the story with their own rewards such as money.
  • Example of State Combo in #DynastyWarriors9 #DW9: Blow enemies up with Blowaway Trigger, then follow with Drive Flow attack.
  • This line implies that free weapon system is retained in #DynastyWarriors9 #DW9, and equipping chara's main weapon allows exclusive moves.
  • Another example of State Combo in #DynastyWarriors9 #DW9: Juggle Trigger to launch enemies to air, followed by Aerial Flow attack.
  • There are multiple types of Trigger attacks available in #DynastyWarriors9 #DW9: Blowaway, Juggle, Toppling and more.
  • main missions have scenes based on RTK events, for example Guan Yu & Xiahou Dun talking in Anti-Dong Zhuo Coalition.
  • Fast Travel system in #DynastyWarriors9 #DW9 is planned to cover places you've already visited. So not every area accessible from start.
  • Some systems in #DynastyWarriors9 #DW9 will get upgraded by story progression because if everything can be bought with money it'd be boring.

Sounds like the Weapon Switch system with EX Attacks is back. Good for me, since I actually liked that part of it. Just keep that Rock Paper Scissors BS far, far away...

I'm ready. I had a ton of fun with DW8 after not really playing any if these games since 3.

I may wait for the XL version though, especially if the base version doesn't come out on PC.

Again, BlackKite has a lot of goods on his Twitter. Copying a few of the ones I don't think haven't been added to the info post on KW yet.

Sounds like the Weapon Switch system with EX Attacks is back. Good for me, since I actually liked that part of it. Just keep that Rock Paper Scissors BS far, far away...

It will be on FE Musou :v

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

Example of State Combo in #DynastyWarriors9 #DW9: Blow enemies up with Blowaway Trigger, then follow with Drive Flow attack.
Another example of State Combo in #DynastyWarriors9 #DW9: Juggle Trigger to launch enemies to air, followed by Aerial Flow attack.
There are multiple types of Trigger attacks available in #DynastyWarriors9 #DW9: Blowaway, Juggle, Toppling and more.

Oh. Oh good. Thanks for clearing that up, Twitter guy.

13aSSyJaI5NkTm.gif

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Damn, I haven't played a Dynasty Warriors since DW3 on PS2 but this one looks really good... Graphically at least. I think the revamping of the franchise and just reading the Kingdom manga has gotten me excited for this title.

Espada

Wow, this is pretty goddamn ambitious from a team that seemed content to pump out the same stale stuff for years. Stuff like Hyrule Warriors and the two Dragon Quest Heroes games, and now this? They're definitely itching to mix things up and add to their musou formula.

I might just jump back into Dynasty Warriors. Last one I played, DW4, was one of my favorite PS2 games back in the day.

ViciousDS

Banned
also selecting characters that don't start till the correct era is baller

flow combat system actually sounds like the initial FFXV combat system. Where there was an opener, combo and finisher...........I actually liked it but the switching of weapons hindered it. So this will probably flow much more smoother.

Everything just sounds so fucking good.

I hope it releases this year somehow

Kinsei

Banned
It sounds interesting. I prefer kingdom based stories to character based ones though.

I wonder if the characters will finally age as the story progresses in this one.

meppi

I player a ton of musou games over the past 5 years but haven't played anything in about 6 months or even a bit longer.

I'm so ready for this one! :D

also selecting characters that don't start till the correct era is baller

flow combat system actually sounds like the initial FFXV combat system. Where there was an opener, combo and finisher...........I actually liked it but the switching of weapons hindered it. So this will probably flow much more smoother.

Everything just sounds so fucking good.

I hope it releases this year somehow

Wait, I didn't consider it being like FFXV. That's pretty cool. FFXV actually had a great combo system, and there was a lot of shit you could do with it. Shame most people mashed all day tho.

Never played a Dynasty Warriors game before, Thinking about jumping in with this one, but how does the story work in these games?

It's based off of Romance of the 3 Kingdoms rights? So is each game basically just a repeat of the same story told differently? Are they sequels that each cover different parts of the story, etc.. How do they handle it?

RedSwirl

I only ever briefly tried out DW7. Is this the most significant change in gameplay in the entire franchise since DW2?

Tiu Neo

I'm hyped for this. I play almost every musou game, and this sounds like a breath of fresh air on the formula.

Changing the combat system a big way like that is giving me DW6 flashbacks, I hope I'm wrong.

Reknoc

I'm actually kinda bummed out about the costumes being toned down haha. Though I'm sure they'll have a £100 worth of DLC for me to fix that.

mas8705

I'm really excited to see another addition to the DW series since it ranks highly on my personal "Favorite Franchises" list. I'll admit that the idea of an open world does sound rather... interesting and slightly concerning to figure out, but I suppose we need to wait for the gameplay demonstration to see how that works out. I know that you had cases where you had big battlefields and the ability to run around in smaller areas before moving into the fights, but this does sound like they want to take this to the next level.

Can't wait! (Also can't believe that there are alot of people excited for SW9 too on Neogaf.
It does bring a smile to my face. ^_^)

sensui-tomo

Never played a Dynasty Warriors game before, Thinking about jumping in with this one, but how does the story work in these games?

It's based off of Romance of the 3 Kingdoms rights? So is each game basically just a repeat of the same story told differently? Are they sequels that each cover different parts of the story, etc.. How do they handle it?

the dw series generally covers the story starting with the Yellow Turban rebellion and up to DW6 ended at the Battle of Wuzhang Plains since in those games, they generally didnt have much content after that time era. DW7/8 on the other hand added the Jin army (which is to be honest just very very late era wei up to the point right before the Jin dynasty is made) If i were to reccomend the games. I'd say of the old games from dw 2-6 probably 5 and of DW7/8, probably 8 since its on more platforms to play on (ps4/vita/ps3/pc). Dont touch DW6 as that's considered the bastard child of the series. DW1 was a fighter and the reason why japan is 1 number below us .. They call it Shin Sangoku Musou (shin being NEW ) and we called that title Dynasty Warriors 2 (the only title i've never played)

I'm actually kinda bummed out about the costumes being toned down haha. Though I'm sure they'll have a £100 worth of DLC for me to fix that.
at least they wont charge us up the ass for the old outfits. (dw6-8 sold those outfits for generally $3 a pop for each game series it was in) and when you consider getting 40+ outfits from each past game, it makes other cosmetic dlc seem like a ripoff

Looking good! Though, the game comes out in Japan this winter? That seems...early, considering that we haven't seen any gameplay yet.

That said, I'm still very much looking forward to this. The first DW game for the current gen(that isn't a port).

sensui-tomo

Wonder if this comes to Switch

wouldnt bet on it running well at all, better for them to have those unique IP crossover games on that platform though. I say this since KT musou games that were ports have ran poorly on nintendo's platforms in the past.
in short: I dont expect this to ever touch the switch and be comparable in performance whatsoever, KT should make games like Hyrule Warriors/ Fire Emblem Warriors and that elk.(think thats the right term)

wouldnt bet on it running well at all, better for them to have thos unique IP crossover games on that platform though. I say this since KT musou games that were ports have ran poorly on nintendo's platforms in the past.
They could always downgrade it. I suppose I can always play on my PS4, but ever since I got a Switch traditional console gaming just hasn't been as enjoyable for me

Golnei

They could always downgrade it. I suppose I can always play on my PS4, but ever since I got a Switch traditional console gaming just hasn't been as enjoyable for me

Whether it'd be possible to 'downgrade' aspects such as framerate and resolution in a hypothetical Switch port and end up with something remotely playable is uncertain. If they'd need to make massive changes for the game to even function on the Switch, I don't see why they should sacrifice resources to do that - especially since the system will already have musou games in the form of FE Warriors and likely Hyrule Warriors. In general, it'd be for the best to assume no third-party titles will be ported to the console unless explicitly specified.

Whether it'd be possible to 'downgrade' aspects such as framerate and resolution in a hypothetical Switch port and end up with something remotely playable is uncertain. If they'd need to make massive changes for the game to even function on the Switch, I don't see why they should sacrifice resources to do that - especially since the system will already have musou games in the form of FE Warriors and likely Hyrule Warriors. In general, it'd be for the best to assume no third-party titles will be ported to the console unless explicitly specified.
It would be worth it for them to make compromises IMO. Switch has had a great launch, and that will continue. Games on Switch will sell. Look at Lego City Undercover, it sold most on Switch. BOTW sold big. There's an audience for open world games on Switch. Devs are foolish not supporting it. It's like they want Nintendo to fail or something

TreIII

It would be worth it for them to make compromises IMO. Switch has had a great launch, and that will continue. Games on Switch will sell. Look at Lego City Undercover, it sold most on Switch. BOTW sold big. There's an audience for open world games on Switch. Devs are foolish not supporting it. It's like they want Nintendo to fail or something

The problem is the preconceived notion that Nintendo hardware owners largely only buy first party software and content. For Koei, cettainlt, it doesn't help challenge that ideal when stuff like Zelda Musou/Hyrule Warriors blows the likes of Dynasty Warriors Vs. and Samurai Warriors Chronicles on the 3DS out of the water critically, as well as with sales numbers.

(See here: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1040059)

If Koei thinks that franchise collabs are a better usage of their resources when it comes to the Nintendo demographic, I can't say I really blame them.

I hope the scenery pop-up isn't too bad.
I expect the scenery pop-up to be bad.
But yeah, hoping for the best.

Edit:
Time & Weather will be changing in real time. In nighttime and/or rain it will be harder for enemies to notice the player.
This i particularly like!

The problem is the preconceived notion that Nintendo hardware owners largely only buy first party software and content. For Koei, cettainlt, it doesn't help challenge that ideal when stuff like Zelda Musou/Hyrule Warriors blows the likes of Dynasty Warriors Vs. and Samurai Warriors Chronicles on the 3DS out of the water critically, as well as with sales numbers.

If Koei thinks that franchise collabs are a better usage of their resources when it comes to the Nintendo demographic, I can't say I really blame them.
Don't underestimate portability. Being able to bring the Switch over to a friends house and show them the game is a great way to increase sales. And you say that third party games don't sell on Nintendo platforms but like I said Lego City Undercover sold best on Switch, a third party game. Switch is outselling PS4 right now especially in Japan, Switch versions shouldn't be optional. Devs are throwing away money

Unknown?

Nah they've made compromises for far too long. You want the game get it on PS4 or PC. You have plenty on your switch to whine about not getting certain games.

Nah they've made compromises for far too long. You want the game get it on PS4 or PC. You have plenty on your switch to whine about not getting certain games.
Whine? Nah, I have a PS4 to play it if the devs are gonna be dumb and throw money down the drain. They're the ones losing money, not me

NeonZ

The first SW Chronicle did well though, especially for something entirely made out of SW3 reused assets.

The issue is that then they released what was basically an expansion pack of an already recycled game as a standalone game (SWC2 - the player even needed to go through the same scenarios again in order to unlock the new ones) and SWC3, although built upon SW4 and a great improvement on SW4's gameplay, removed Chronicle's fan favorite feature (Personal events between the custom officer and the actual characters, which got even implemented in the mainline SW4 itself after their positive reception in Chronicles). You can see how SWC3 had poor numbers in spite of also getting a Vita release, so you can't really blame "Nintendo userbase" for that.

Skyo

Niceee, liking the sound of this.

Improved AI would be awesome with maybe a cool parry system :'( -one can dream

Whine? Nah, I have a PS4 to play it if the devs are gonna be dumb and throw money down the drain. They're the ones losing money, not me

Being dumb for? Not making a switch version? This is the first time we'll get a DW not re-using assets from the ps3 versions and we're asking KT to compromise already? This whole switch begging has been really getting annoying. Switch has FE Warriors and possibly Hyrule warriors. Can we atleast get a thread without the first few pages getting derailed instead of talking about the game? Musou fans has been waiting for KT to ditch the ps3 assets so we can finally move on to Next-gen graphics/era of Musou.

On-topic:

Graphics looks pretty good so far. Open world china sounds really nice, this is probably what excites me the most, just imagine Battle of the Red Cliffs in the open world settings. While switching back to character based progression and no "what-if" is a downer for me (i did enjoy seeing Lu Bu's "what if"), i can see why they did it.

Overall, I got enough Aminu spin-offs KT, now bring me the main course.

hydruxo

That looks really good. I don't think I've played one of these since DW4 on PS2 (which I loved), so I might have to hop back on board for this. I miss my boy Lu Bu.

Skyo

im glad theyre going back to a more realistic style in terms of their armor. hope the same goes for the weapons. The flying swords and snooker balls were getting ridiculous..

im glad theyre going back to a more realistic style in terms of their armor. hope the same goes for the weapons. The flying swords and snooker balls were getting ridiculous..

Ma dai and the paint brush will always make me laugh. Just imagining going through the battle field wacking people with a giant paint brush

sensui-tomo

Being dumb for? Not making a switch version? This is the first time we'll get a DW not re-using assets from the ps3 versions and we're asking KT to compromise already? This whole switch begging has been really getting annoying. Switch has FE Warriors and possibly Hyrule warriors. Can we atleast get a thread without the first few pages getting derailed instead of talking about the game? Musou fans has been waiting for KT to ditch the ps3 assets so we can finally move on to Next-gen graphics/era of Musou.

On-topic:

Graphics looks pretty good so far. Open world china sounds really nice, this is probably what excites me the most, just imagine Battle of the Red Cliffs in the open world settings. While switching back to character based progression and no "what-if" is a downer for me (i did enjoy seeing Lu Bu's "what if"), i can see why they did it.

Overall, I got enough Aminu spin-offs KT, now bring me the main course.

probably will get a What-If mode in DW9 Complete edition/DW9-2/ whatever they're going to do for that route.

Top Bottom