• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Dynasty Warriors 9 screenshots, full Famitsu details

Eiji

kkGzVmC.png

Awesome!

Foffy

Banned
From what they've revealed so far, story mode being character-based means it'll be something a bit closer to how DW5 did it, where you follow the character's career (as defined largely by the book) and you play through battles/events that they participated in. So in that way, someone like Sun Ce is going to have stories told through the early portion of the era, while scenarios for Sima Zhao would start much later.

They said there won't be any "What If's" to be told this time around, but it remains to be seen how they'll handle characters like Sun Jian or Dian Wei (let alone someone like Zhang Jiao), since their careers aren't that long. Then there's others like Lu Lingqi (confirmed to have a story here), for which no much is known, and they'd have to wing it anyway.

Hmm. To my knowledge, this sounds very similar to a lot of ideas that were in the recent Samurai Warriors game, but that largely focused on Yukimura Sanada and the rest of the roster filters down from that.

Then there's others like Lu Lingqi (confirmed to have a story here), for which no much is known, and they'd have to wing it anyway.

Lu Lingqi isn't even real. Ok, Lu But did have a daughter, but she never fought or did anything.

By real character, I mean in the novel. I know Zhou Cang is a fictional character added to the novel.

NeonZ

From what they've revealed so far, story mode being character-based means it'll be something a bit closer to how DW5 did it, where you follow the character's career (as defined largely by the book) and you play through battles/events that they participated in. So in that way, someone like Sun Ce is going to have stories told through the early portion of the era, while scenarios for Sima Zhao would start much later.

They said there won't be any "What If's" to be told this time around, but it remains to be seen how they'll handle characters like Sun Jian or Dian Wei (let alone someone like Zhang Jiao), since their careers aren't that long. Then there's others like Lu Lingqi (confirmed to have a story here), for which no much is known, and they'd have to wing it anyway.

According to the link in the op, characters with shorter lifespans like Sun Jian will just get shorter stories. They apparently won't attempt to balance most characters around a set number of stages, unlike in DW5.

I guess with someone like Zhang Jiao, you can still explore the open world and do any regular mission that is accessible there, but once the player triggers and finish the "critical mission" (which ends an era and starts the next one), it'll end his story.

I'm not sure about Lu Lingqi, but in DW7 and 8, fictional Shu characters and characters with unknown death dates were kept alive until the fall of Shu even if they didn't really get any actual events focused on them in those late years. I could see the same happening here, even though they'd be playable. So, if they keep that for this game, you could take Guan Suo and then play from his point of view until wherever the story ends, but in spite of that, his presence won't really change the flow of history and he won't get any new story events focused on him, just different dialogue at best.

The issue with Lu Lingqi is that without her father she wouldn't even have a "set" faction. So, they might just end her story alongside Lu Bu's.

Top Bottom