• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Dynasty Warriors 9 screenshots, full Famitsu details

probably will get a What-If mode in DW9 Complete edition/DW9-2/ whatever they're going to do for that route.

I don't expect a 'complete edition,' but I expect there to be a ton of DLC like there was with 8, even with XL.

None of that stuff carried over from PS3 to PS4, which soured me on the PS4 version, never touched it.

The PR for the West confirms the game will be released on several platforms (Steam is on board at least, I would guess)

Platforms, release timing, and more information on the game's new features, characters, and narrative will be unveiled in the coming months. A first batch of assets released in celebration of today's announcement feature one of the game's new characters, Cheng Pu, and showcase the open world action of DYNASTY WARRIORS 9.

Some good stuff in the interview, so give the man a click for his hard work~!

Good stuff, this got me pretty hype

Black Kite said:
Suzuki: For the major flow, it will be based on the Three Kingdoms history just like before. However, the battles are not split by stages. Various battles taking place at the [same] era will be always occurring at every places, and you can participate in them.

Miyauchi: For example if it's at the Yellow Turban Rebellion era, a battle against the Yellow Turbans will occur at the place the guru Zhang Jiao resides in. Of course you can also go to Nanman & other place, and you can hear [the people there] gossiping about Zhang Jiao and his group. And once you beat Zhang Jiao, the era will move on to the Anti-Dong Zhuo Coalition era, and the happenings on the map will completely change to correspond with the new era.

Miyauchi: Since this title is a game for PlayStation 4, we also renewed the production process of the characters.

Famitsu: How did you change them?

Miyauchi: In Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Complete Edition, which was developed as a launch title for PlayStation 4, we converted the assets from PlayStation 3 to PlayStation 4. However for this game, we made them for PlayStation 4 from the very beginning. We also did not create some of the assets from drawings like before, but we instead scanned them from camera portraits.

edit: more good stuff

Looks like the game is built from the ground up for PS4. Good stuff, good to see KT dropping the ps3 assets. Its really looking like its worth the wait for DW9

ViciousDS

Banned
that open world sounds fantastic, it means that you can take in the atmosphere and the major stuff is still always in one location. But if they are doing each Provence.......holy shit this literally will be the biggest open world ever created and just traveling it for the views alone will be worth it. I don't even need chests and shit hidden. China is absolutely gorgeous and I can't wait to see what it looks like for the first time in a single map.

Can't believe it man......we might actually see legit sieges come to life and travel across the land protecting towers, rams and more.

I would have never expected them to produce graphics of this quality at this kind of a scale in a Dynasty Warriors game, if these pics are really representative of what we can expect from the final product...wow.

Day-Night Cycle pics from the offical website:
img1-10.jpg

img1-11.jpg

img1-12.jpg

img1-13.jpg

sensui-tomo

I don't expect a 'complete edition,' but I expect there to be a ton of DLC like there was with 8, even with XL.

None of that stuff carried over from PS3 to PS4, which soured me on the PS4 version, never touched it.
Uh yes it did, hell all the costumes/weapons/bgm/stages and the unique dw7 fantasy costumes were cross buy dlc for dw8 and dw8ce, also worked for dw8E, same for samurai warriors
If you meant complete edition meaning all dlc included than no, the game was basically dw8 + dw8 extreme legends for the ps4 and Vita, ps3 got extreme legends and was the last game to use that mixjoy mechanic before Capcom went shit heel and sued Koei tecmo for it.

I would have never expected them to produce graphics of this quality at this kind of a scale in a Dynasty Warriors game, if these pics are really representative of what we can expect from the final product...wow.

Holy fuck. Never would I have imagined seeing something like this in a DW game.

mhanna49

Neo Member
I hope there is no slowdown and pop in like previous games. I like what I'm hearing and seeing from this game so I am excited to play it!

To be fair, KT sometimes does some bullshot level things with their games. So maybe it won't look AS good, but even then, it's still better than DW has ever looked.

To be fair, KT sometimes does some bullshot level things with their games. So maybe it won't look AS good, but even then, it's still better than DW has ever looked.

It's definitely bullshots, Koei always does it with new DW games up until release lol. Blurring the sides, upping the lighting on attacks ect. We know the deal after them doing it all last gen too.

Wow I can't believe this is DW.

sensui-tomo

now as much as i love the musou series (its the only series i'll blind buy every opportunity) lets hope that with the graphics change that they can stabilize framerate (either locked 30 or flux 30-60) since lets be honest, they havent had a locked 60 ever i think and hu lao gate in DW8CE with a pro in boost mode doesnt help that scene where the town is put on fire.. it stutters worse than a politician caught red handed.
its kinda why i dont see it coming on a certain platform without lots of compromises.

I'm surprised by how exciting this looks. Dynasty Warriors was one of the first games I really enjoyed growing up, so having a reason to go back to it makes me particularly happy.

Environment shots look good but I'm keeping my expectations in check.

I want to see how Ma Chao looks. His Dragon Armor better remain awesome!

Zhen Ji and Diao Chan in this engine

OMG I WANT I WANT I WANT.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I have to say, I'm impressed that they're retaining all of the characters from the previous game, plus new ones. Can't wait to see the new designs and moveset additions. I just hope this new State system doesn't blow chunks.

Have not played a Dynasty Warriors since 5, excited to jump back in

Not a bad place to stop, tbh. Though 8, or at least 8XLCE was a good solid refinement of what they started on with 7. Only blemish (besides droves of annoying child characters) is the rock paper scissors system they had with weapons.

Zasa

Finally a big change in the series, about time as well in my opinion. Loved playing DW when I was younger, then I realized how samey these games were after each iteration.

Loving these screens!

Foffy

Banned
This looks crazy fucking ambitious. I am absolutely impressed if Omega Force can nail a lot of what they want to do, because if they do, they may have made a new standard for their genre of games.

Can someone help me understand what in the world they mean with story mode and characters? I've skipped 6 and 7, so I was familiar with 8, and I quite liked how they had fixed characters available for particular stages. I assume what they're talking about here is something like that? I think them having something like 4 where it's kingdom based would be wasteful considering the roster they have...

karnage10

Banned
I enjoyed most warriors games i have played however i'm not convinced that open world is the right direction for this series.

TreIII

Can someone help me understand what in the world they mean with story mode and characters? I've skipped 6 and 7, so I was familiar with 8, and I quite liked how they had fixed characters available for particular stages. I assume what they're talking about here is something like that? I think them having something like 4 where it's kingdom based would be wasteful considering the roster they have...

From what they've revealed so far, story mode being character-based means it'll be something a bit closer to how DW5 did it, where you follow the character's career (as defined largely by the book) and you play through battles/events that they participated in. So in that way, someone like Sun Ce is going to have stories told through the early portion of the era, while scenarios for Sima Zhao would start much later.

They said there won't be any "What If's" to be told this time around, but it remains to be seen how they'll handle characters like Sun Jian or Dian Wei (let alone someone like Zhang Jiao), since their careers aren't that long. Then there's others like Lu Lingqi (confirmed to have a story here), for which no much is known, and they'd have to wing it anyway.

studyguy

When did KT suddenly start making DW not look 2 gens old.
Fuck me 90 characters, why am I so weak to these games.
They're gonna fuck something up and I'm still gonna day 1 like every other DW...

dramatis

Guan Yu and Xiahou Dun aren't exactly the characters to show off the more realistic designs since they've always tended towards that anyway. The proof of the pudding is going to be the newer, younger characters, like the Guan kids and the female characters.
Zhou Cang has a western hat.

And the female characters are 100% guaranteed not to be true to history lol

Top Bottom