• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I have to play through Nier Automata 5 times to fully experience the game? [Nope]

I just finished Nier Automata (Ending A) and apparently, I now have to play through the same game another 4 times to fully understand the story and experience the game?

F3X3khR.gif

Whose idea was that? I'm currently on my second playthrough but the repetition is boring me to death. And it's just the SECOND of FIVE playthroughs.

I'm sorry but I have other games to play.

Young adults are the target audience for Nier Automata, and as one of them, I certainly don't have time to play through the same game over and over again just to watch a bunch of extra scenes leading to different endings. The gameplay, the quests... the core of the game is the same no matter how many cosmestic changes you add to each play through.

And with all the praise the game got, especially here on GAF, I'm thinking that we are ok with developers hiding the real story behind multiple playthroughs?

Please tell me we are not.

Your third playthrough is apparently completely different. Don't quote me on this because I stopped after acquiring ending B, mostly because of bugs and poor gameplay.

Magikoopa24

Neo Member
After route b, there'll be a trailer for the third route. It is unique.

After the third route is beaten, you get the chapter select. There is no 5 times to playthrough, and even then the third time is much less similar to the first route than the second route.

Jawmuncher

Thankfully you can run right through all the filler and ignore sidequets. All main endings are doable in 20 hours total.

No.

Only route B require replaying the game, the other routes are a "sequel" with fully new content.

It's still a stupid move and a waste of everyone's time and soured me on the game a little bit.

With Nier, you shouldn't really look at it like beating the game multiple times. Seeing the credits roll isn't the point of it. It's just a neat aspect of the story telling. But if you aren't enjoying the game like 20% into it then by all means stop.

Only ending B is really replaying the game, and even that's significantly different. Ending C and D are entirely new content (and you can access each by choosing the other choice from chapter select which unlocks after you finish one of them). Ending E is also entirely new

Chase17

Route B is a bit of a drag (though important for what comes later), but it's worth going through to get to C (which is all new content). And you can do C, D, E in essentially one play through since chapter select gets unlocked.

No you don't.

A and B are the same route through different perspectives, with their own sidequests and unique cutscenes/scenarios.

Route C is completely new material and ends with a
Chapter Select so you can instantly get the other ending

Shahed

No. It's 3 playthroughs. Route A which you've done. Route B is 60-70% similar and having played Route A already yiu can probably guess where the differences will be. Route C is completely new content.

DNAbro

No, not at all.

Do route A.
Route B is very similar to A but you control 9S.
Route C/D is completely different. It's like the sequel to the game inserted inside the game. Get C or D and then reload the last fight for the other. After doing that you get E.

alt27

Stated by someone with zero knowledge . Do a little research if it bothers you , or just move back to your usual game delights

BadWolf

No you don't.

Start the second playthrough and it will be similar to the first one in the beginning but you will be playing it from the perspective of 9S so there is new story content.

You don't have to start over for the other 3 endings, you will get access to them via further new story content after getting the second ending.

Route B is the only one that's actually repeating content. I don't think it's especially well done, but at least you're leveled up enough that it doesn't take as long as the first time through, and there's a little bit of new stuff.

Route C is totally different, it's a proper extension of the game that leads to the ending. Route D involves reloading the very last chapter of Route C and making a different final choice (takes like ten minutes), and the final ending continues from that (again, like ten, twenty minutes).

BadWolf

Why did no one warn us of this complete break from series tradition?

Not to mention it's actually much easier this time since you don't have to get every weapon in the game to get access to the final route/ending like in the previous Nier and Drakengard games.

Route A: The first playthrough.

Route B: Same events as Route A however you are playing from a different perspective (also new abilities) so fairly large chunks are new. New scenes are also sprinkled in throughout giving new insights to what happened.

Route C: Completely different from A and B, new content. From here you can get Endings C and/or D then E and can get them within minutes of each other if you want to.

Endings F - Z are short often comedic endings usually as a result from dying in certain ways or straying off course.

I personally really enjoy the storytelling in Yoko Taro games but I can understand how it would put others off. I do wish people would stop propagating the idea you have to "play it 5 times" because you are really only repeating the first few chapters of the game once but even then I feel there is enough different to make it interesting.

JayEH

Route B is the same campaign for 90% of the time but it's very a different perspective and has some big story revelations. The new stuff is interesting.

Route C is all new and endings, C,D, and E stem from this route.

You're only playing though the game twice sort of, then brand new stuff.

Blobbers

You have to do 3 playthroughs. First 2 are the same scenario but different characters, the third one is completely different. Endings 4 and 5 are just picking different options. They take almost no time at all

Anung

Un Rama
You mean I have to read all three lord of the rings books to fully experience it? What the fuck I ain't got time for that shit.

Caim

No you only have to do three playthroughs (A and B are similar, but C is completely different) and after a certain point you even unlock a chapter select so you can go back get any endings you missed with ease.

LeleSocho

Banned
Main reason why I didn't give this game a chance. I hate when games don't respect my time

You missed a great game on a wrong assumption, assume less next time otherwise you'll end up like op going on a rant on something that isn't even true... oh wait...

No, it's nothing like that at all.

3 playthroughs from start to finish are required, then you can chapter select to get the others.

It's pretty simple. And very much worth it.

Main reason why I didn't give this game a chance. I hate when games don't respect my time

lol ok

Top Bottom