• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I have to play through Nier Automata 5 times to fully experience the game? [Nope]

erawsd

Route A is not really the full game, its more like the midpoint. Route B is largely the same but from a new viewpoint. Route C is the second half of the game. D and E are just alternative endings.

So technically you only really replay the first half of the game once.

ZangBa

The real issue here is people like you OP, that are unable to look past their preconceived notions of what an ending is and decide to go in full on whine mode without even getting their facts straight. DSP already has this role covered.

Elandyll

Banned
To me, Route B was a mistake tbh.

Should have incorporated the 9S segments in route A, and kept it tighter.

Route B alone damped my take on the whole game, thankfully route C through E are not a retread.

Nier is a great game, but it could have been even better in my opinion.

No. You have to replay it once, the rest is new story.
Not as bad, but still bad.

I'd rather watch the multiple endings on Youtube, that's what I'm doing right now. I refuse to play through the game a second time, I only game on weekends and I have at least another ten PS4 games sitting on my shelve.

And yeah, to add to that, I'm not really a big fan of Nier Automata. The last moments were awesome, but overall it was pretty boring. The combat system is too dull and uninspiring for me.

Pooya

People sure are misinformed. You can't blame them. it's dumb to call these 'endings', that implies multiple playthroughs when it's not. I personally find the structure of the game unnecessary, they could avoid it and integrate everything into one route and cut the filler in B. Director is crazy, what can you do...

KodaRuss

I liked the game but I have some of the same complaints, the second play through is by far the worst and most boring.

After you get over the slight gameplay change it just kinda sucks.

Play Through C is great because it is actually different though, anyway I think the game could have been put together better.

The Open World was not really necessary and play through B felt like 50% of a waste of my time.

JayEH

The real issue here is people like you OP, that are unable to look past their preconceived notions of what an ending is and decide to go in full on whine mode without even getting their facts straight. DSP already has this role covered.

I think it's partly the game's fault too. I don't know why they insist on calling them endings, they should be chapters or acts.

Hektor

I'd rather watch the multiple endings on Youtube, that's what I'm doing right now.

Did you read any of the posts in this thread?

People sure are misinformed. You can't blame them. it's dumb to call these 'endings', that implies multiple playthroughs when it's not. I personally find the structure of the game unnecessary, they could avoid it and integrate everything into one route and cut the filler in B. Director is crazy, what can you do...

I think it's partly the game's fault too. I don't know why they insist on calling them endings, they should be chapters or acts.

The game didn't called them endings

Aeana

I just finished Nier Automata (Ending A) and apparently, I now have to play through the same game another 4 times to fully understand the story and experience the game?

F3X3khR.gif

Whose idea was that? I'm currently on my second playthrough but the repetition is boring me to death. And it's just the SECOND of FIVE playthroughs.

I'm sorry but I have other games to play.

Young adults are the target audience for Nier Automata, and as one of them, I certainly don't have time to play through the same game over and over again just to watch a bunch of extra scenes leading to different endings. The gameplay, the quests... the core of the game is the same no matter how many cosmestic changes you add to each play through.

And with all the praise the game got, especially here on GAF, I'm thinking that we are ok with developers hiding the real story behind multiple playthroughs?

Please tell me we are not.
It's not multiple playthroughs. The only reason it seems like that is because there's credits. You're not actually playing the game though multiple times. They could be labeled chapters and very little would really change. It just so happens that route B overlaps with route A a fair bit. C/D/E are completely different.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Route B is playing the first route with a different perspective and plenty of other new story elements.

Route C/D is practically the actual second half of the fucking game.

Timeaisis

If you you got bored with the route A good luck with route B lol. It's such a chore.

I don't understand how this game is so well liked.

If you ignore the beginning section, the entire cult part, the entire part between the flooded city and the ending, then yes "It's the same thing"

Seems like the thread agrees that B sucks. Guess all that new content wasn't enough to save 9B's boring ass campaign.

Pooya

While Route B is similar to A it's very short actually, you just play like half of A again with new gameplay mechanic and pretty much skips the rest through hacking stuff.

Did you seriously not even look into this at all before making a thread to shit on the game?

Most of these replies are just people explaining to you how it actually is, something that would have taken 5 minutes to google.

At most this should have just been asked in the 'gaming questions' thread.

To answer your question: You play through the same events once with a new perspective that includes extra scenes and mechanics, outside of that, all content is experienced only once.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It's tiring that people still think this
Just look at people explaining it in this thread, you expect others to understand this before getting a detailed explanation? People will always be confused by it because it's confusing.

watdaeff4

You play Route A. Complete it then you play that Route again with a different character that gives a different perspective, some differences in the side quests and the main Route as well as combat options.

Once you complete Route B, you are shown that was just the first Act to the story and then you play Route C. Once you complete Route C, you unlock chapter Select which you can jump right to the end of Route C, and take the different option to get Ending D. Ending E then is tacked right onto that.

You only have to replay the first Act with some minor to moderate differences and the VERY final fight of the game to get the true ending.

ZangBa

Who cares if they are called endings? There's enough non-spoiler information out there to know exactly how the game works. It's unique in its own way, God forbid a game try to be. Being willfully ignorant and proud of it is what goes on here.

Aeana

If you you got bored with the route A good luck with route B lol. It's such a chore.

I don't understand how this game is so well liked.
Step 1 is realizing that people like different things and it's okay to accept that you won't like everything other people like.

I loved route B. I found hacking to be really fun and I missed it by the time I moved on to route C.

croten

I'd rather watch the multiple endings on Youtube, that's what I'm doing right now. I refuse to play through the game a second time, I only game on weekends and I have at least another ten PS4 games sitting on my shelve.

And yeah, to add to that, I'm not really a big fan of Nier Automata. The last moments were awesome, but overall it was pretty boring. The combat system is too dull and uninspiring for me.

You're actually missing half of the game. Endings C, D and E will make 0 sense whatsoever without playing through route C, which is set after ending A and B. Basically the second half of the game.

Flousn

I feel you OP, the second Playthrough was the low-point of the game for me.
I appreciate the Idea and the Gameplay-Sequences that were exclusive to 9S, but the heap of the 2nd Playthrough felt really tedious to me. Also, too much shooting without new elements. The whole 9S-thing could (or maybe should) have been integrated in the first Playthrough without Problems.
But, to be fair, it adds to the overarching theme of having to live through infinite Cycles of the same war. Nowhere is it said that "fun" is the only emotion that developers have to aim for when designing their game, so in this context i think the game achieved exactly what it set out to do.

BUT as others have pointed out, Playthrough C is completely different and Endings D & E are only variations that can be achieved without a full Playthrough for each.

Hang on, you won´t regret it.

DNAbro

To me, Route B was a mistake tbh.

Should have incorporated the 9S segments in route A, and kept it tighter.

Route B alone damped my take on the whole game, thankfully route C through E are not a retread.

Nier is a great game, but it could have been even better in my opinion.

Completely agree with this. It's the main reason I don't like the game as much as others. While 2B is fun, 9S is so incredibly boring to play as and retreading the same content doesn't feel great.

Route C and that ending is 1000% worth it though.

PedroRVD

A long game should never require multiple plays. I love Platinum games but this really turned me off. I'm sorry for not agreeing. I will eventually play Nier someday... I have the soundtrack and it makes me want to play it... but with Zelda and Persona around I can't play a long game 5 times at the moment.

Timeaisis

Step 1 is realizing that people like different things and it's okay to accept that you won't like everything other people like.

I loved route B. I found hacking to be really fun and I missed it by the time I moved on to route C.

I realize it, but I don't understand it. That's what I said.

If you don't at least play through Route C you're honestly missing half the game. It's not a repeat playthrough and it's not just a new ending cutscene, it's several hours of new content in new areas with new bosses and the back half of the game's story.

If you aren't enjoying the game at all then so be it, but you're not going to get much out of just watching a cutscene on Youtube.

Siege.exe

A long game should never require multiple plays. I love Platinum games but this really turned me off. I'm sorry for not agreeing. I will eventually play Nier someday... I have the soundtrack and it makes me want to play it... but with Zelda and Persona around I can't play a long game 5 times at the moment.

Good thing you don't have to play through 5 times, then.

Also, OP, why do you feel the need to rush through games? Those other 10 games on your shelf aren't going anywhere, chill out.

Aeana

Route B takes less than half the time as route A.

JayEH

Who cares if they are called endings? There's enough non-spoiler information out there to know exactly how the game works. It's unique in its own way, God forbid a game try to be. Being willfully ignorant and proud of it is what goes on here.

Because an ending implies just that - an ending. The end of the first route is not a satisfying conclusion because it's not meant to be. It's set up for the next act(s). When people hear there's five endings they'll think of how other RPGs handle it.

The game didn't called them endings

Oh ok I never noticed. Well the endings nonsense is still spreading regardless.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

You're not playing it 5 times.

croten

It's not multiple playthroughs though. Route B isn't a second playthrough so much as the next chapter of the game from a different viewpoint and the third "playthrough" is completely new content set after the events of routes A and B

PixelatedBookake

Why do people complain so much about Route B? 9S's hacking ability makes the game easy as fuck. You also unlock a decent amount of side-quests that would be unavailable in Route A. I felt like the game was half as long going through that route. Also the new story segments you get were enjoyable and fleshed out the world and the characters greatly.

It's depressing to see people instantly assume the worst when they hear "LOL OMG 5 PLAYTHROUGHS" and never stop to do any more research.

You play through the same events only once, with new mechanics and events interspersed into that second viewing.

Once that's over, All content is new, including side quests.

They're chapters, not all replays of the same content.

Decado

Keep hearing complaints about the gameplay in recent threads. Though it was supposed to be Platinum brilliance?

watdaeff4

1) you don't play it 5 times.

2) I think it takes only about 35-40 hours to get the E ending. So about the length of several open-world games this gen.

The frickin hyperbole in this thread is unreal

Pooya

game isn't even long. If you don't do side quests you probably can finish the main story in like 25 hours. That's considered on the short side for a RPG. I don't have much time for playing non mobile games either, I still beat it in about 3 weeks of playing here and there and it felt very satisfying actually.

Shahed

Route C isn't a different playthrough like A/B. It's literally a continuation of the game like a Chapter 2 or even sequel.

Just watching the ending would be like reading or watching the first book/episode in a series, and then onky watching or reading the last few pages of Series 2. You'll be completely lost and it will make zero sense. Heck if anything the start of Route C is the most important and best part of the game

Hektor

Seems like the thread agrees that B sucks. Guess all that new content wasn't enough to save 9B's boring ass campaign.

You're moving the goal. Matter of fact is, it's different, which you reffered to as "Blatant lie"

It doesn't require multiple playthrough and the game with all of its "multiple plays" is about the same lenght as any other RPG.

You can finish the entire game with all 5 routes in 20 hours if you skip sidequests

Just look at people explaining it in this thread, you expect others to understand this before getting a detailed explanation? People will always be confused by it because it's confusing.

At some point people could go out of their way to inform themselfs, especialy before rantng about it. There's literally even a message at the end of the game explaining it to you.

I don't blame people for being confused for something very unorthodox, however i will blame people who don't even want to inform themselfs, especially when they like OP refuse to listen to the explanations others have given ITT

Zakalwe

Banned
They not really endings, they're just packaged that way as part of the framing.

You're not just replaying the game over and over, you're moving through chapters that are presented in a different way.

Top Bottom